SM Doubles OU VoltTurn Offense

This team is based around the momentum and positioning that volt-turn gives and attempts to fill all the gaps. I've been using this team to climb the ladder on an alt and managed a 26-4 record so I think its well tested at this point, however I think it can be optimised.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 92 HP / 44 Def / 72 SpA / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Snarl
- Overheat
- Protect

Manectric is half of the volt turn core. Manectric is a fast support pokemon that has access to intimidate snarl and volt switch. Lightning rod pre mega can help Tapu fini set up in specific scenarios and overheat provides an effective way to deal with steel types. I've considered using flamethrower instead of overheat to avoid losing momentum, however mane is always switching anyways so it hasn't really gotten in the way. Hp ice could be used to punish ground types like lando/zygarde, however i would either have to sacrifice utility in snarl or safety in protect, which I don't want to do.

Landorus-Therian @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 176 SpA / 28 SpD / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-t is the best partner for mega mane imo. With a ground immunity and intimidate, manectric can voltswitch into lando freely spreading intimidate and weakening the opponents side. Originally lando was scarfed to provide a fast u-turn user and revenge killer, however this set fits the team much better. The bulk + iapapa allows it to function as a consistant pivot into many attacks. Also a slow u-turn allows me to bring in a sweeper safely. Earth power avoids intimidate and hitting partners. Knock off removes berries, choice items ect. Stealth Rock provides damage throughout the game. I could run defog in this slot to avoid volcarona taking damage, however I don't rely on volc as much as you would think and a dedicated move for one mon kinda unneccasarry. Hp ice for the mirror is an option, however the utility of knock off I think is better. Same with rock slide/ stone edge. Standard evs because i can't be bothered making a dedicated spread.

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Calm mind tapu fini is currently my favourite mon for use in doubles right now so I thought it might be good here. On an offensive volt turn team normally you would see support fini, however double intimidate in my volt turn core really helps cm fini and it provides a really strong win condition. Support becomes too passive on a team like this and is sometimes dead weight. Fini is often a lead as it has really nice matchups vs a majority of the mons in DOU. Wiki berry allows fini to be a threat early game and still have health to sweep mid-late game.

Kartana @ Mago Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 196 HP / 128 SpD / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Protect

Kartana was an option I hadn't really thought of using until now, especially bulky kartana. But the typing and utility of this pick is really strong. As a tailwind setter, it's not as consistant as zapdos, however the typing and power of kartana allows it to be more effective at the job required. The evs allow kart to outspeed base 100 speed pokemon while taking a life orb psychic from lele and a groundium z from jolly lando or a sacred sword from scarf kart. I prefer this set over the standard ond because its faster. Spdef isn't much of a concern as i hope to only tank resested hits with kart, and leles is one of the strongest. The extra speed means that kart can start a sweep after a beast boost more easily(even uninvested kart has about 400 atk!) which gives me another wincon if the matchup is good for kart.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 112 Atk / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Protect

Kyurem-black brings the whole team together. With life orb and bolt beam coverage its a power house, able to hit everything hard. Kyurem functions as a wall breaker to try to weaken the team ready for late game. Kyurem also has enough bulk to function as a defensive pivot if it has to and the typing finishes the fantasy core.

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

Volcarona was a fun pick. I knew I needed a fire type to provide defenive and offensive synergy but I didn't know what would be the best. But volc gives a set up sweeper and a nuke with a z-move. Its not uncommon for me to z-move early game to get rid of something and opt to still sweep later on. A better spread is probably due but i don't know what i'll need to calc. The lack of support for volc (fake out, follow me ect.) means that I need to be aware of situations where its better to set up or just attack and pave the way for another sweeper. Stealthrock can be an issue, however since volc is already frail and offensive, it's hp isn't valued as much as other members.

To me I think the team is pretty well balanced with a volt turn core and double intimidate, both a fire/water/grass core and a fantasy core and decent offensive coverage.

Threat List:

Trick Room
An offensive team like this is always weak to trickroom. Unfortunately I could not fit fake out onto the team, but the bulky nature of the team allows it to withstand trickroom for a few turns and fight back. The main variants it struggles with is the sample teams one and the bruxish victini camerupt one. (Unfortunately they both happen to be the most common )

Weather:
The team stuggles against weather mainly because of the instant speed. Kart can normally get up tailwind consistantly against rain, however taking advantage of and also not sacking half my team becomes hard. Charizard by itself is hard for my team to deal with if mega mane is gone because it can hit the whole team hard except fini with a spread heatwave. Sand has fallen a bit in usage but its still out there. Generally its not too big of a deal since they are physically oriented and normally get walled by lando and fini.

Gimmicks:
Unfortunately because I lack taunt or roar, gimmick oriented teams can be a struggle if I don't have a plan to prevent it. Misty terrain and tailwind can be helpful but there can be some nasty surprises.

Thanks for reading my post, have a great day!

Mack Knife

Future 50th President
Hi, good team. I think megaman + volc is doing well rn. I have few suggestions you can consider to help deal with things you may be struggling with:

Running defog on lando or fini could def help against sr killing volc and kyurem. It is not just for one mon as megaman teams may be pivoting around more than most dou teams.

A secondary speed control would be nice. You could switch in another mon into your team or use icy wind on kyurem or fini.

You def need like two more ways to deal with room. Roar maybe, or taunt on a mon.

I would also say, to fight the calm mind bulky psychic types, bugium z might be better.

Here is a team that keeps your spirit but helps against certain mu.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 128 HP / 44 Def / 80 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Snarl
- Overheat
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 140 SpA / 28 SpD / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Defog
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 48 SpA / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpA / 84 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

Kartana @ Mago Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 112 HP / 64 Atk / 8 Def / 176 SpD / 148 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Protect

Fini and kyurem b are now a bit bulkier. Maintaining speed control with kyrurem will allow you to ignore the power drop. Natures madness will allow you to keep fini's offensive presence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)