Video Game Music / Soundtracks

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
The thread for this topic kinda died like 3 years ago sooo... (I'm aware a video game thread exists but, this thread's goal is to specifically talk about the music and soundtracks)

Video Games nowadays stepped up their music game a whole lot. Personally, I feel that I'm more concerned with the quality of music in a game rather than the graphics.

So which games do you think has the best music? any specific pieces you want to share?

Right now I'm kinda obsessed with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's soundtracks, I have been listening to the Forest Temple music on a loop for a while now @~@. Ori and the Blind Forest also has great tracks too.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
How the heck is this thread not flooded with replies ?!
Soundtracks in a video game are imo pretty important, even more since I tend to play games where the atmosphere is pretty important (as opposed to, say, a FPS or MOBA where your main focus is on the game itself).
I have a bunch that I'd like to share.
Godlike music for a godlike game, but Three Stars is one of the best pieces I've ever heard. Maybe it's because it's fleeting since it's so short, maybe because it's the animation that goes with it (not shown here to avoid possible spoilers), but it is outright amazing.

I like either slow, emotional tracks or nigh-octane tracks that make me feel I can do anything. This one is in the second category. I especially like the violin > guitar transition.

Ace Attorney games are notorious for their good soundtracks, most notably the Pursuit themes that play when you're about to lay the truth on evildoers. Good games, good music. 'Nuff said.

Remember when I talked about nigh-octane tracks ? This one ups the ante and it's super pumping. Note that Will Be Venus from the same game is pretty epic too.

Starman themes were always among my favorites, but this one stands out with the intro. Galaxy's one is pretty nice too.

DAT BASSLINE. Thanks Brawl for bringing this to my attention.

That'll be all for today, but I didn't even scratch the surface here.
And don't get me started on remixes.

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I listen too wayyyy too much VGM as well (as some people on Discord may know). Not sure how this thread will develop or what to post, but I guess I'll just start by sharing some random 8-bit/chiptune songs this time around since no one else is gonna post stuff like this

Out of all of the developers for the NES, Konami's music is probably the stuff that always impresses me the most (oh how things have changed...). This here is the intro stage for the Japanese version of Castlevania III. Nintendo of Japan was more lenient with devs adding their own expansion chips, so Konami's VRC6 is used here to result some super crisp sounding music. The NES version is good too of course.

Seriously though, Konami's stuff was so good!

Some of the unsung heroes of the 8-bit era are all those European home computer composers. A few of them tried their hand at composing for the NES and GOOD GOD THEIR USE OF EFFECTS IS INSANE. This is a work by Tim Follin, and while this piece is not my favorite of his, this is the song that seems to be considered his best work and it's still ridiculous coming from an NES to boot.

For a bit of a slower song, we got Journey to Silius's second stage theme, from Sunsoft, probably the 2nd best development team at composing NES music. Not much I can really say about this one, except this might be one of the most overlooked OSTs ever. While the other level themes in this game have a much faster rock feel, this slow song really works well too.

Hey, have you heard of those bootleg games Pokemon Diamond and Jade? What if I told you those games had a KICKASS BATTLE THEME?

Might as well add in some Nintendo stuff somewhere, so I'll end this off with the classic ending theme to Super Mario Land. Never really fell in love with the game myself (though I'm not the biggest Mario fan to begin with), but man its soundtrack has some fantastic melodies here.

Last edited:
I absolutely love video game music. My favorite part of a lot of games I play has to be the music.
(favorite song from Touhou)
(easily the best thing Yoko Shimomura has ever composed imo)

TMan87

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I absolutely love video game music. My favorite part of a lot of games I play has to be the music.
(favorite song from Touhou)
(easily the best thing Yoko Shimomura has ever composed imo)
TH's known for its good music.
While ZUN's drawing skills are, uh, debatable, there's no doubt he can create great soundtracks.
(currently trying to begin the series with TH06, but my ass gets kicked by the frekaing series' joke character, send help)

EDIT : well since we're talking Touhou here, how about I share the track I prefer among what little I know of the licence ?

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
touhou music is so great, like there's not a single bad track in the series i dont think. imo IN has the best tracks in the series, maybe it's cause of the zunpets, but i'll post some tracks of it here.

and i should really start playin touhou tbh, bullet hell seems like a fun way to get rekt

normally i'd flood any vgm thread with siivagunner vids but at this point it's getting old so i'll just post low quality rips of other tracks that are pretty underrated imo.

super metroid is one of the best games ever made, and this is among my favorite tracks from it.
kirby music in general is great, with super star being my favorite.
f-zero x has an amazing soundtrack honestly, if only we get f-zero nx.
memories of cogs of destiny, goddammit i hated that chapter.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am a huge fan of classical music. When they put classical-style music in video games, I get so excited lol.

- this one doesn't really sound classic but it uses many techniques used in classical music, especially Bach's (metal and classical have a lot in common)
- this probably doesn't count since it's from an anime but it's amazing so I have to post it here

i've never played the ocarina of time but i remember when i was like 7 i was on guitar lessons and somebody played this and i was incredibly impressed. i love this piece

Woah, that is indeed a really nice piece with its upbeat and happy tune. I like it.
My all time favourite tho is Dancing Mad, from FF VI. ID (Purpose) has also really grown on me over the years.

TMan87

Woah, that is indeed a really nice piece with its upbeat and happy tune. I like it.
My all time favourite tho is Dancing Mad, from FF VI. ID (Purpose) has also really grown on me over the years.
Id (Purpose) is what interested me in FE:A when I played Sm4sh in the first place.
Id (Serenity) and Id (Sorrow) are nice too.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Dancing Mad is a lovely masterpiece :heart:

Something in special I like to hear in videogames are final boss themes, I'll leave some I love (I mean, beside Dancing Mad lol) just there in case someone wants to hear them

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Currently replaying FFVII. I never liked the game but always appreciated it's influence on JRPG and RPG culture.

Anyways

And let's not forget

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's 4 am and I can't sleep so I'll post some final boss music too, namely the ones I've had on my mind these past few days

(Excellent organ + Classic Rock = :ok_hand: :eyes:)
(My brain says Dancing Mad is the best Uematsu battle theme, but my heart says it's this...the last 40 seconds are SOOOO good)
(Literally God-Like. Also this is froma shmup lol)
(Bit of an odd/underrated pick, I've always found myself coming back to this theme. I don't know I just love how BIG it feels, namely the intro, and chiptune instruments are always great.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)