Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
On VGC Showdown, Encore failed to activate against a Whimsicott.

This happened on turn 2. The opposing Whismicott used Encore against my Whimsicott and failed because of the Mental Herb,. But when my Whismicott tries to use Encore against his Encore, it fails. No terrain was active.

The replay is here: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-684382749

I am unsure if this is Pokemon mechanics or a bug.
Encore fails against Encore

What does a Mega Charizard Y team usually look like?
Charizard-Y is the most common mega evolution right now so there are a lot of different teams that use him. I've seen people try exploit sun with Venusaur or Blacephalon, but most people use it on its own for its ability to hit hard and largely stop rain.

For some examples, the first and last teams on this page use CharY, and here are a few from trainer tower's sample teams (1 2). All of those are pretty different too, so you can see how versatile Charizard Y is and how many different team types it can fit on.

Are perish trap teams viable?
Does Mega Gengar have other options?
Yes, they are. Most of them double as rain teams and rely on Perish Song politoed, Gothitelle as their trapper, and Mawile as the mega. I've seen Gengar as the trapper too, but Goth is bulkier so a lot of teams prefer it.

M-Gengar has way more options that that, however. Namely it's often paired with Whimsicott to trap your opponent and then encore or disable their move.

There are perish song and Gengar-Cott teams in the sample team thread on TT.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
According to Pikalytics, Kommo-O (z crystal) is paired with Mega Gengar a lot.
But most sample teams of Mega Gengar perish trap don't have Kommo-O

Is there a sample team/ tutorial of specifically Mega Gengar + Kommo-O?

As a bulky water type to add water coverage and support for a team(against the likes of lando-t, heatran and stuff) which one can do that job bettter, milotic or fini?

How does Metal Burst or counter work in double battles? I mean, if you attack the Pokémon that didn't hit you, do you do any damage?

Eisenherz

επέκεινα της ουσίας
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
According to Pikalytics, Kommo-O (z crystal) is paired with Mega Gengar a lot.
But most sample teams of Mega Gengar perish trap don't have Kommo-O

Is there a sample team/ tutorial of specifically Mega Gengar + Kommo-O?
Kommo-o doesn't really fit the Perish Trap component, the idea of the pairing is rather that Gengar traps and deals with any of the 4 Tapus, which are the most common threats to Kommo-o. Whimsicott goes well with this combo since Fake Tears, Encore and Tailwind can assist both Gengar and Kommo-o in what they're trying to achieve.

As a bulky water type to add water coverage and support for a team(against the likes of lando-t, heatran and stuff) which one can do that job bettter, milotic or fini?
You would need to go to a team rate forum with your squad and ask that, because it's an impossible question to answer without knowing what the full team looks like. Both achieve different things, and it depends on what your teams needs.
Milotic deters intimidate in the lead and is able to be okay speed control with Icy Wind and Recover. Without the competitive boost, however, it's damage output sucks, its main role is going to be spamming Icy Wind.
Tapu Fini protects from status and provides field control by bringing Misty Terrain. It adds some good special offense to a team while contributing to a good defensive core, and can easily become a threat with the opportunities it gets to set up Calm Mind. Landorus can more easily come in on it, though, and threaten with a Z-move. Fini is supposed to stick around for as long as it can, and remove pokes that threaten its teammates.

A friend is trying to breed up a shiny moon ball team, legendaries are out. Since i don't have to much experience with this meta could point me out a team that doesn't need legendaries? My first thought was something like hard rain but no tapu koko and ferrothorn(illegal in moon ball) hurts.

A friend is trying to breed up a shiny moon ball team, legendaries are out. Since i don't have to much experience with this meta could point me out a team that doesn't need legendaries? My first thought was something like hard rain but no tapu koko and ferrothorn(illegal in moon ball) hurts.
Hard TR teams usually don't run lots of legendaries, but now it is used kinda with Stakataka. I recommend you to go to de Wi-Fi forum and look for someone that can trade you some good Pokémon. Other options are playing on Pokémon Showdown, where you don't need to breed and you can try a lot of different Pokémon.

Hard TR teams usually don't run lots of legendaries, but now it is used kinda with Stakataka. I recommend you to go to de Wi-Fi forum and look for someone that can trade you some good Pokémon. Other options are playing on Pokémon Showdown, where you don't need to breed and you can try a lot of different Pokémon.
Well Im not the one breeding the team so that won't be an issue, and already trying some things in showdown, thing is cress is a must for tr right? He doesn't wanna play with any legendaries since he wants to breed them himself

Well Im not the one breeding the team so that won't be an issue, and already trying some things in showdown, thing is cress is a must for tr right? He doesn't wanna play with any legendaries since he wants to breed them himself
Cresselia is a good TR user in non-TR teams (TR=Trick Room). I like to play with Gothitelle in TR-teams, as you can trap you opponent and low their offensive stats while seting up yourself. There's a good core called "GothLax" which is Gothitelle + Snorlax. You can pair it with Mega Manectric and Persian, Intimidate + Snarl on Manectric and Parting Shot on Persian. You can use Volt Switch or Parting Shot and send out Gothitelle, which traps you opponent's Pokémon, so they have to pray for a crit. Then, you send out Snorlax and start setting up with either Belly Drum or Curse. You should use 50% berries on both Gothitelle and Snorlax, and use Recycle on both of them. Also, Gothitelle can use Heal Pulse to heal Snorlax.

Another option is Mimikyu, which was very popular last year, in a core called MimiLax, but this year doesn't work as last year. Mimikyu can either go for being a support Pokémon or a sweeper itself. It usually runs Trick Room + Shadow Claw, and then you can go for Z-Destiny Bond, which acts like Follow Me and use Belly Drum on Snorlax.

However, I think that you friend is going to be very limited to TR teams or rain teams, as other teams usually use Landorus and one Tapu, which is a bit of a pity :(

Cresselia is a good TR user in non-TR teams (TR=Trick Room). I like to play with Gothitelle in TR-teams, as you can trap you opponent and low their offensive stats while seting up yourself. There's a good core called "GothLax" which is Gothitelle + Snorlax. You can pair it with Mega Manectric and Persian, Intimidate + Snarl on Manectric and Parting Shot on Persian. You can use Volt Switch or Parting Shot and send out Gothitelle, which traps you opponent's Pokémon, so they have to pray for a crit. Then, you send out Snorlax and start setting up with either Belly Drum or Curse. You should use 50% berries on both Gothitelle and Snorlax, and use Recycle on both of them. Also, Gothitelle can use Heal Pulse to heal Snorlax.

Another option is Mimikyu, which was very popular last year, in a core called MimiLax, but this year doesn't work as last year. Mimikyu can either go for being a support Pokémon or a sweeper itself. It usually runs Trick Room + Shadow Claw, and then you can go for Z-Destiny Bond, which acts like Follow Me and use Belly Drum on Snorlax.

However, I think that you friend is going to be very limited to TR teams or rain teams, as other teams usually use Landorus and one Tapu, which is a bit of a pity :(
Wow dude thanks alot for that, gonna help a ton, didn't know about gothitelle being such a good pick for TR, definetly gonna look into that.

And yeah he is already aware of the fact that he is gonna be pretty limited, he doesent have much experience with vgc so hopefully he likes TR and rain

So I was doing a little messing around and theory crafting with my VGC teams on showdown, and I noticed something that might make primeape viable:

Primape is a carrier of earthquake, rock slide, and defiant. This means he not only has access to two important spread moves, he also BENEFITS from enemy intimidate users. He also has a pretty decent speed and attack, at 95 and 105 respectively. His defenses kinda suck, but with an assault vest he can tank some important special hits. I think Primeape has some potential as an anti-intimidate pokemon. I'm pretty new to VGC, so feedback would be great!

(link to primeape's dex page for quick access)
http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/primeape/

Earthquake isn't as good as you'd think, because it hits your partner too. Also you would usually be useful against a Landorus which doesn't take a hit from EQ. My biggest worry is there are too many fairy types running around, and even with poison jab you don't always outspeed them. You also have to deal with all the psychic types (lele, metagross, cress, gothitelle) than you can't hit super effectively. Also if you don't get intimidated (and most people will play around that) then you're stuck with a weaker Pokemon.

I'd rather use Milotic or even Braviary most of the time because they have some utility when not intimidated, although it may work in Bo1 when people don't know what Primape does.

95 Atk even at +1 is awful (specially if you use a non-stab spread, the +1 acts like a fake STAB boost) and 105 Spe means Gross and Mence get to kill you for free unless you run Choice Scarf which makes you deadweight the moment you pick one option. Primeape is bad, period. There's no way for Primeape to get consistent top 8s or 16s, specially in a meta where everything hates Fighting-types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)