VGC 2016 Rules - "Uber" legendaries are back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fake Out says hi
Protect says hi?
Using Fake Out at all with Whimsicott on the field, or potentially in the back, is also a painfully bad idea. Even if you fake out -> switch you still lose a turn in that slot.
Meowstic's Fake Out is faster than Kang's; and if that fails, Prankster Quick Guard blocks +6 Weavile's Quick Claw Fake Out. And if that won't work because KhanArtist, you just Protect -> Safeguard and invalidate Smeargle's life.
Been running Prankster Safeguard longer than VGC16 existed, Fake Out has existed since long, long before then too.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Protect says hi?
Using Fake Out at all with Whimsicott on the field, or potentially in the back, is also a painfully bad idea. Even if you fake out -> switch you still lose a turn in that slot.
Whimsicott can't encore it if your smeargle just used dark void and put whimsi to sleep.

Meowstic's Fake Out is faster than Kang's
Incorrect, they're both +3 and kang is faster than meowstic.
However, meowstic's quick guard is faster than kang's fake out since prankster makes it +4; did you confuse it with that?

Whimsicott can't encore it if your smeargle just used dark void and put whimsi to sleep.
Protect? Lum is dumb but also possible I guess. But mostly Protect. Plus we're assuming KhanArtist here, if it's Xern + Smeargle or Khan + Xern it's a bit different too.

Incorrect, they're both +3 and kang is faster than meowstic.
However, meowstic's quick guard is faster than kang's fake out since prankster makes it +4; did you confuse it with that?
Kangaskhan: base 90 Speed
Mega Kangaskhan: base 100 Speed
Meowstic: base 104 Speed

If it's a Jolly max Speed Khan in front of a bulky Meowstic then yeah, it's faster. Otherwise Khan needs 116 EVs minimum to outrun it on turn 1 if Adamant and Meowstic has no EVs at all.
If it's a faster HP + Speed Sash spread on Meowstic then yeah, it'll always outrun MegaKhan with Fake Out. Quick Guard we're solid on though :P

edit: dude, don't tell me that was post #1000, you deserve a better #1000 than that. D:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Kangaskhan: base 90 Speed
Mega Kangaskhan: base 100 Speed
Meowstic: base 104 Speed
Well shit, I should look stuff up before posting. I always thought meowstic had something like base 80 speed, since I remember its other stats being kinda crap.

edit: dude, don't tell me that was post #1000, you deserve a better #1000 than that. D:
It was :U

kilometerman

Banned deucer.
If Melee were VGC

Mango: Kangaskhan
- Consistent placement
- Has a kid

Leffen: Smeargle
- Disliked but gets results
- One of the god awfuls
- Moody

Armada: Groudon
- Pops off early
- Best at full strength
- Cover legendary

M2K: Xerneas
- Pretty
- Depressed

HBox: Talonflame
- Already a Pokémon
- Rated B for Brave Bird

PPMD: Salamence
- You only see him sometimes
- Useful if Mango doesn't show up

ur a weeb

So an event with a Shiny Mewtwo which has its hidden ability of Unnerve has been announced. Details are on Serebii.

This is good for Mewtwo. Now, I'm pretty sure it won't make it that much more viable than it is right now, but at least Mewtwo has that extra bit of utility to use, way more so than lolPressure. Unnerve will prevent Lum Berries and Sitrus Berries from activating, which can be bad news for users of the berries, such as Crobat, Talonflame, Thundurus and Zapdos and Cresselia.

A Mewtwo + Smeargle lead will get a little more dangerous when the event comes out.

So an event with a Shiny Mewtwo which has its hidden ability of Unnerve has been announced. Details are on Serebii.

This is good for Mewtwo. Now, I'm pretty sure it won't make it that much more viable than it is right now, but at least Mewtwo has that extra bit of utility to use, way more so than lolPressure. Unnerve will prevent Lum Berries and Sitrus Berries from activating, which can be bad news for users of the berries, such as Crobat, Talonflame, Thundurus and Zapdos and Cresselia.

A Mewtwo + Smeargle lead will get a little more dangerous when the event comes out.
Makes smeargle more fun, yes. Unnerve + WoW is something Mewtwo actually does pretty well, iirc. Mewtwo is something I always wanted to use, lol.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Memes aside, this wasn't wrong. Just put a Kyogre next to it and we'd have prophet like kamikaze.

I was told 2016 was just a bad format where everyone spammed Big 6 variants and there was no room for creativity and diversity though? What happened to that, someone help me out here.

Really though I'd been saying Big 6 wouldn't dominate Worlds since like week 1. Honestly a really cool variety of teams this year even just in Top 8. Loving BazAnderson's Volcarona and I'm glad to see X-Ray Gyarados show up twice in Top Cut, been meaning to try it since picking up that archetype way back. I'd say that Worlds this year did a lot to help this format's image though. Even if they didn't ban Dark Void,,,

VGC16 Worlds Top 24:
http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/worlds/2016/teams/masters/

Stats for top 8
Kyogre: 5
Rayquaza: 4
Xerneas: 4
Groudon: 3

Bronzong: 7
Gengar: 4
Hitmontop: 4
Raichu: 3
Salamence: 2
Smeargle: 2
Thundurus: 2
Kangaskhan: 1
Cresselia: 1
Talonflame: 1
Amoonguss: 1
Manectric: 1
Scrafty: 1
Infernape: 1
Volcarona: 1

In total 19 different Pokemon were used in top 8 alone (VGC15 top 8 had 15, VGC14 had 26).

Notable pokemon from 9-24th place
Yveltal
Crobat
Ferrothorn
Whimsicott
Landorus
Gyarados
Arcanine
Meowstic
Scizor
Suicune

- Very diverse top 8/24, with many uncommon pokemon
- Primals and Xerneas were used in almost all teams as restricted Pokemon, save for one team that had an Yveltal
- High presence of RayOgre
- High usage of Hitmontop and Gengar
- Trick room seems to be the preferred method of speed control
- Endeavor Raichu given away after Pikachu Cup in the top cut
- I really like the use of Eject Button on Hitmontop

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)