VGC 2016 Rules - "Uber" legendaries are back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure what I think of this yet, but the VGC 2016 rules have been announced.
http://www.pokemon.com/us/strategy/vgc-2016-champion-series-preview/

The Rules
  • All battles will be Double Battles played in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.
  • Time limits for battles will vary by event. At major events (Regional Championships and above), battles will have a 15-minute time limit, 45-second move timer, and a 90-second Team Preview.
  • Pokémon brought in via Poké Transporter will not be permitted (the blue pentagon is required).
  • All discovered Pokémon will be allowed except the following Mythical Pokémon: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, and Hoopa.
  • Teams may have no more than two of the following Pokémon: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde.
  • All items will be allowed except Soul Dew. Each Pokémon must hold a different item.
http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/the-2016-video-game-championship-format-has-been-announced/

usage statistics from the "Generation Showdown" Online Competition (similar format)
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/competitions/4022/

Last edited:

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I haven't played since 2011, I might actually give this a shot. It does, as fleggumfl says, sound awful but I spend a retarded amount of time SRing for these kind of mons and it would be nice to actually put them to good use. Too bad my very good hasty Hoopa and shiny Timid Manaphy aren't allowed though >:(

I'm glad that they've banned the obviously broken stuff like Celebi and Phione. We couldn't have a fair and fun competition with those monsters running loose.
I'm pretty sure that they're banned because of accessibility, not competitive viability.

Groudon, Rayquaza, Giratina, Zekrom, etc... can easily be caught in game, but not everybody has a chance to get these event legendaries.

EDIT: Well... Deoxys is still banned.

Last edited:
"...Rayquaza is something of a risky one-trick Ponyta. It's quick, it deals massive damage, and its mediocre defensive stats and myriad of weaknesses make it very easy to knock out. A Rayquaza that lasts long enough to attack a few times will often deliver its Trainer a victory, but failing to do so can lose the battle for its team just as easily."

I have a feeling that the guy who wrote this has no idea how much of a monster M-Ray is. Forget CHALK, forget M-Kanga, M-Ray is literally a requirement now.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Hopefully somebody makes a giveaway for some of these because I can not SR for all of these. I feel like this meta will take a while to stabilize especially because there isn't a battle spot season for this.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"...Rayquaza is something of a risky one-trick Ponyta. It's quick, it deals massive damage, and its mediocre defensive stats and myriad of weaknesses make it very easy to knock out. A Rayquaza that lasts long enough to attack a few times will often deliver its Trainer a victory, but failing to do so can lose the battle for its team just as easily."

I have a feeling that the guy who wrote this has no idea how much of a monster M-Ray is. Forget CHALK, forget M-Kanga, M-Ray is literally a requirement now.
This guy could get a badge on smogon instantaneously. I wonder if he reads our analyses....

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To be fair if they let out phione and celebi they have to let out darkrai...and we all know how much worse the format would become if that happens.

Just because Mega Rayquaza dominated Smogon Ubers for a while, doesn't mean that it will be as threatening in VGC 16. 6vs6 Single Battles and 4vs4 Double Battles are two completely different stories...

Well, this is....odd.

I am very glad that the VGC metagame got freshed up, although now I have to go get a Pdon to use ingame :(. And lease make Battle Spot follow this format Nintendo, if not I'll have to ladder on cancer Showdown. Seriously though, this meta has potential for when it gets stabilized to an extent, although there is a reason as to why ORAS Ubers is considered a terible metagame, so we'll have to wait and see. Primal Groundon will be a king, alongside Mega Rayquaza. The exciting thing is whether other Pokemon will still be like any viable, since a lot of stuff will just get smashed by Pdon or Mega Ray. My question now is, what will be the "chalk" in this meta? like what two legendaries will be "the dou to run"? Maybe Mega ray+Pdon, maybe something else.

I feel like Primal Groudon will be a more dominate force, it's bulky, strong, great ability, good xerneas resist.

Also dont expect Mega Kanga to be leaving anytime soon lol I'd still expect it to be a solid top 12 mon.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
As if Primal Groudon wasn't already satisfied by making Ubers shit, now it's gotta ruin VGC too.

Thanks based PDon

EDIT: oh and I almost forgot Mega Quaza is allowed too LOOOOL TPCi wtf are trying to do to us

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
Just because Mega Rayquaza dominated Smogon Ubers for a while, doesn't mean that it will be as threatening in VGC 16. 6vs6 Single Battles and 4vs4 Double Battles are two completely different stories...
Obviously the metas are different, it's always been that way. Unfortunately, Mega Ray's stats are off the charts and it will be splashable on any team regardless of the format. I'd probably run Primal Groudon for burn shenanigans, but I expect lum berry to be a very popular item. At least Dragon Ascent isn't a spread move, though.

And regarding practice matches... Unless they change the battle spot format this season, the only ways to practice will be setting up matches or showdown. Showdown has traditionally been awful for official formats, since the people playing them are awful OU players playing with an OU mindset. It also doesn't implement stuff like timers and shiny delay (I know the latter isn't as influential anymore since the shiny animation is much faster than in BW).

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They won't change the battle spot doubles format, but they'll definitely slot it in the special ladder like they did with '14.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
Ah, that's what I was trying to say, forgot it was a separate thing. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I would be happy about Mega Ray being in VGC, but this is just madness...
VGC 2016 is going to be broke. I'd rather go back to gen 5 weather than this.

Can't wait to see what 2016 will bring. Lots of rain and sun that's for sure. I still can't believe Mega Rayquaza in VGC is going to happen. I guess that's one way to make it so Mega Kanga won't be on almost every team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)