UU Player of the Week #17: mazz

Approved by Sam and Hikari

Picture provided by mazz himself

Welcome back to the UU Player of the Week Project! Took a short hiatus and now it's back. For those of you who don't know, this is a series where I take some of the more known and experienced players and interview them and have you guys leave your questions for them to answer. As always feel free to message me if you have anyone you'd like to see me interview!

Mazz

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

I'm one of the pleothora of Canadian Smogonites that enjoys the lower-tier metagames. Albertan-born and raised. I'm a massive hockey fan, and thanks to the invention of Twitter, have been able to live and breathe the game almost 24/7. I'm currently headed into my third year of university at the U of A (same place Raseri goes :]) to continue studying geophysical engineering. During the summer I work as a heavy-duty mechanic.

Most Known For:
I'm most known for three things: being an absolute shit on Showdown, mass UU C&C and subforum contributions in Underused, and periodically dying for considerable stretches at a time. I also broke Gothitelle back in Gen V, something I'm still proud of to this day.

Favorite Pokemon:
This answer varies a lot. I've never had a specific "favourite" (learn to spell btw). Bulbasaur, Latios, Magneton, Mamoswine, Electivire, Scizor, and a bunch of other Pokemon round up a group of Pokemon I like.

Most used UU Pokemon:
Mega-Aerodactyl.

Where did you get your name from?
I've told this story a few times on Showdown. It originally started as Pokemazter3 on Pokemon Crater. 8-year-old me wasn't particularly creative. When I joined Serebii two years later I added 001 to my Pokemon Crater username. I eventually discovered the competitive section and Xat chatrooms, and decided to shorten it so it was easier to type. I settled on Pk3k1, but that was stupid so I decided on Mazz. It's stuck ever since and has become synonymous with the word "asshole".

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
As mentioned; I began my competitive career at Serebii back in mid-DPP (pre-Salamence ban). I did so originally in order to get into Wi-Fi battles and potentially get into VGC. However, I discovered clans and PO so that idea went out the window. It took me two years to get to Smogon, but I didn't use my account until quitting Serebii in 2012 or 2013. I don't quite remember. That was a lot of wasted time I'm not getting back. Everything since then is modern history.

Opinions on ORAS compared to XY?
XY was definitely better. I haven't really enjoyed ORAS and XYUU Beta was one of my most favorite metagames. The Magnezone metagame was really cool, as it made VoltTurn teams exceptionally deadly.

What is your favorite playstyle and why?
Offense. I think balance teams are silly despite how effective they are and stall doesn't work particularly well in the current metagame. That might change depending on the results of the current suspect test however. There's massive satisfaction to destroying an opposing team in less than 15 turns. I'm mildly impatient too, so offense suits me better.

What is your favorite generation of UU to play and why?
I loathed BWUU despite how much work I did during that era. Probably XYUU Beta or ADV UU. Both are colourful metagames, and XYUU Beta is insanely offensive, whereas ADV was my favourite in-game generation.

Thoughts on the Pidgeot suspect?
I'm really torn on it to be honest. I personally think there's other issues that should have been looked at prior to Mega-Pideot. I won't be surprised if it gets banned; there's a lot of stupid and/or misinformed users that are crying for its head, and that type of attitude seems to spread like wildfire around these parts.

What I do find extremely disconcerting with the suspect ladder is the lack of variety among teams, a topic I touch on a bit here.

Is there anything you'd like to see suspected after Pidgeot? If so, why?
Feraligatr, Scald, and maybe Suicune. I honestly believe Feraligatr is abhorrently broken - nothing should hit that hard after a single boost. I have a very hate-love-hate relationship with Scald, and I think that every metagame would be healthier without it. When praying for a critburn becomes the best play, there's an issue. However, if Scald doesn't get the boot, I'd like to see Suicune get a thorough looking at. It's very hard to take down the CroCune sets unless you run Guts Heracross or your own CroCune (or obscure shit like Specs Rotom-C, etc.). Like once its in and behind a couple of boosts, you're fucked. The only issues it has are that it's only a problem when set up and Scald is a bugger. Kind of torn on that one.

What is some advice you can give to new players who want to get noticed?
Appeal to your strengths, but strive to improve your weaknesses. It took me the better part of 5 years to not be a totally shit battler (still can't teambuild to save my life), so I opted to take a more studious route through Smogon via contributing. If that's your case, stick to C&C and community contributions until you can develop and hone the skills to become a better battler. The opposite holds true; if you aren't a great contributor but you're pretty decent on the ladder, stick to tournaments and the ladder and work at developing the contribution skills. Everything about this game takes practice, and it's difficult to become great in a short period of time. The more you put in, the more you get out.

How do you go about preparing for tournament matches?
I build a new team or tweak an existing one based on who I'm playing. I don't necessarily counterteam my opponents, but I notice little things like what they're weak to and habits they have; playstyles, types, and/or what Pokemon they frequently bring or lose to. I then tweak a team that I'm comfortable with in order to give myself the best possible chance of winning. The few minutes leading up to the actual fight I completely panic and usually have to take a shit because I'm so nervous. No idea why, and it's something I'm working at fixing.

Who are some of your favorite people in the Smogon community?
kokoloko, RT, PsYcH0t1c, @Ace_Emerald, Omfuga, Bouffalant, King UU, there's too may to individually list, especially out of the UU community. These goons are like an extended family. Really awesome people. Special shout-outs to Harsha, Trinitrotoluene, Redew, and Raseri. The first three I've known since prior to my time at Smogon, and Raseri cause I actually know you.

Finally can you provide for us a team that you think reflects you as a player with a brief explanation of how it works?

Mamoswine @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast

Heracross @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off

This is what I'd consider to be a fairly basic heavy offense team. The goal is simple; get Rocks up with Mamoswine, use Rotom-H and Heracross to whittle down walls, and then sweep with Salamence or continue breaking things with Haxorus before allowing Salamence to sweep. Mega-Blastoise provides the team with some glue by keeping hazards clear and giving me a reliable switch in against stuff like Entei. It also provides some offensive output, which keeps it from being dead weight (a flaw with most spinners, hence why I rarely carry one). I made this team before my most recent hiatus just shortly after Mamoswine and Mandibuzz dropped to UU, and I got a fair bit of mileage out of it. A well-played Florges can ruin its day, but I had Mamoswine and Heracross to help break it down or flat-out beat it. I got a lot of flak for using DoubleDance Haxorus, but it's an excellent sweeper-stallbreaker as long as its used properly. I built this team using the old core method from BW - take two offensive Pokemon that compliment each other or that can break each others' checks and counters and build outward. Feel free to use it if you want, I have no idea how it'll fare since I left.

------------

If you have any questions for mazz leave them down below!

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Perfect start to bring this back.

1) what is your favourite flower?

2) what do you think of mcdavid scoring 5 goals against scrimmage team in practise

3) do you ever plan on running for mayor?

4) if so can you fly me out to Edmonton?

5) remember, if we hang, I buy beers.

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
1. On a scale of shit to shit, how shit do you think you are at Random Battles?

2. How does it feel to get shit on in said Random Battles all the time?

3. Are you working on getting those badges recolored?

4. Are you actually back from the dead this time? If so, when should I expect you to die again?

Edit: Where's your master's shoutout, boii?

Last edited:

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Can you elaborate on what about balance teams is "silly?" I'm not sure what you mean by that, especially considering you say they're effective.

What do you want to see from a new pokemon game? (game mechanics, new megas, in game stuff like emerald contests or that thing from hg and ss which was the shit!)

What is ideal uu meta for you?

Mazz is cool so I don't have any real questions tbh but that team is money because Haxorus is insane and I feel like folks that don't use it are fools

Perfect start to bring this back.

1) what is your favourite flower?

2) what do you think of mcdavid scoring 5 goals against scrimmage team in practise

3) do you ever plan on running for mayor?

4) if so can you fly me out to Edmonton?

5) remember, if we hang, I buy beers.
The kind that they put in bread.

I still have a throbbing erection because of that. He snagged an apple too. So excited to see him play.

God no, way too many potholes to fix. I'd rather have a real job.

It's probably cheaper to drive ngl Air Canada a shit.

I drink Canadian or Coors Banquet, and I drink like your countrymen, so make sure you have enough money to get home ;]

1. On a scale of shit to shit, how shit do you think you are at Random Battles?

2. How does it feel to get shit on in said Random Battles all the time?

3. Are you working on getting those badges recolored?

4. Are you actually back from the dead this time? If so, when should I expect you to die again?

Edit: Where's your master's shoutout, boii?
125-8. Just gonna leave that there.

You'd know that better than I would.

Not all of them. C&C work is a hassle when you work 44 hours a week and have a girlfriend. Probably impossible for me to get mods here again so I'd have to look elsewheres. Community Contributor for sure though. It's the green one ergo my favorite. I'm planning on adding more over the summer, so keep an eye on my postbits ;]

It really depends on how I can handle my upcoming university semester. I've opted to take 5 courses next term, which will really cut back on my free time, HOWEVER, it's only 1 lab and 3 are math courses (2 math, 1 physics) so it can't be that bad. Target for the second or third week of September; that's when the shit will start to hit the fan.

Can you elaborate on what about balance teams is "silly?" I'm not sure what you mean by that, especially considering you say they're effective.
Balance teams are the equivalent of people with multiple personality disorders imo. Offence or stall, pick one. Quit trying to do both, or at least quit doing it so damn well. Plus, I find them hard to build because I hate having my teams all look the same.

What do you want to see from a new pokemon game? (game mechanics, new megas, in game stuff like emerald contests or that thing from hg and ss which was the shit!)

What is ideal uu meta for you?
I want another RBGY remake, which I'm almost dead certain is coming end of this year / next year with it being the 20th anniversary. Besides that, I want to see more actual evolutions, enough with this Mega-Evolution shit. I want my power creep capable of holding a Life Orb or Choice Band like the good old days. Also bring back trainer customization. That shit was cool. I got to play as an openly-ginger character, thus moving the ginger population towards equal rights #gingerlivesmatter

XYUU Beta - the more broken and stupidly offensive, the better. Also the Gothitelle metagame from BWUU was really cool too. My Goth team was so good *swoons*

Mazz is cool so I don't have any real questions tbh but that team is money because Haxorus is insane and I feel like folks that don't use it are fools
You're gonna go far kid. Postcount +1

I got a few questions....

Aston Martin V12 Vanquish or Ferrari F12????

Why are McClarens so beautiful?

Can me u and Bud Hertz still mock gobosox about the shitty hellcats????

Opinions on the rumored Ram 1500 Hellcat???
If you'd have said the Aston One-77, I'd have been absolutely torn. Ferrari Berlinetta F12 by a long shot. God it's beautiful. I'm planning on owning one when I win the lottery or have enough later on down the road.

Because the English know how to build a proper supercar. None of the rambunctious drama or flare of a Ferrari, and nothing good ever comes out of Germany (sans the Audi R8 and BMW M3). Like have you heard the sound of a P1 ripping past you in person? I have. Still haven't washed the pecker tracks out of my shorts.

User gobosox knows absolutely zero about good cars because he thinks American muscle cars are good. So uh yeah. Definitely.

Ford-Hennessey Raptor will always be better. One, it's a Ford, two, Hellcats are trash as it is. The only thing Dodge is good at is giving dealerships a place to sell Jeeps and Chryslers and even those suck. It looks sleek though. Credit where it's due.

you guys suck, hellcats are nice! Thanks for the shoutout Mazz, I'm gonna leak your nudes now for cheating on me with those other dudes. Canadians are suppose to be nice :(

you guys suck, hellcats are nice! Thanks for the shoutout Mazz, I'm gonna leak your nudes now for cheating on me with those other dudes. Canadians are suppose to be nice :(
If I ever catch you not using the red key, I'm going to leave your hellcat on jack stands. Bottom line. Terrible vehicle but if you insist, at least drive it properly.

Lmao go for it. The world can always use a little more Mazz ;)

Why were u banned from serebii?
A criminal lack of respect drove me to ask to be permabanned. Doing so kept me from being able to come back and force me into joining smogon permanently. It's hard to stick around a place when you're a top-10 user that gets treated like a random.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)