SM UU UU Community Create-A-Team #4

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With the recent bans and establishment of the UU tier, the time is right to explore the metagame further through the best way possible: teambuilding! And, of course, who better to teambuild with than the entire UU community? This project aims to have the community work together to build a competitively viable UU team, one Pokemon at a time. In the first round, people will submit a Pokemon or core which they would like to see a team built around. In subsequent rounds, people will submit Pokemon that complement what is already on the team. At the end of each round, people can vote on what they like the most, and the submission with the most votes will be added to the team. Ideally, this project will allow newcomers to UU to see how more experienced players go about building a team.

The Team:

After the 4-week process listed above, the UU Community has put together a new team! After each team is completed it will be submitted to the RMT Forum to be analyzed by expert team raters as provided by IronBullet to be refined, tweaked, and brought to its best potential!

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

snekky snek (Steelix) @ Steelixite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def/ 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

NOTE: This is a set I ripped from pokeisfun's submission for Creative/Underrated sets. A lot of discussion around Xurkitree as of late has been centered around its match-up against stall. I feel like that building a stall team together as a community allows us as a community to explore a playstyle very few people understand let alone play. I feel like if we collectively construct a stall team together, UU players would better understand not only building stall, but also better understand teambuilding from a stall player's perspective when it comes to addressing certain Pokemon.

The Steelix set is purely arbitrary and seems like a solid building start.

Latias @ Electrium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Calm Mind

Seeing as we've elected to run Mantine I will explore my reasoning for Z-Thunder Latias. The current team has plenty of sustain; Wish + Heal Bell Sylveon & Roost Mantine doesn't require as much support from a Scarf + Healing Wish Latias. Furthermore, by running Mantine our team is not as weak versus rain builds; and M-Steelix covers Xurkitree rain archetypes. That leaves us open to explore other options for Latias.

On it's own the core struggles versus Pokemon such as Empoleon & Togekiss. We can cover both of these Pokemon with Z-Thunder Latias, as well as cover other threatening Pokemon such as opposing bulky Water-types, Scizor, etc. Calm Mind + Z-Thunder Latias gives us a set up sweeper and fire power (something that this team is seriously lacking); and it appreciates support in the form of Sylveon.

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Trick / Grass Knot / Hidden Power Fire
- Healing Wish

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

pxie dixie (Sylveon) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

It's kind of hard to go wrong with Steel/Dragon/Fairy.

If you want balance/stall/semistall go with Sylveon, if you want bulky offense go with Primarina.

Ultimately Sylveon should make teambuilding easier because you it gives you some extra utility and bulk, although Primarina is better versus a select few offensive threats like Blastoise and of course has a lot more power making the team more dangerous.

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze

Reserving mantine

flaoty boaty (Mantine) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze

Description:

It's an uncommon bulky water but it adds a great utility move in Defog and strengthens the team against some key types, giving additional Fire, Water, Ground and Fighting resistances. It also counters Scizor which troubles the team badly right now and is a good check to Mamoswine. Since we're moving towards balance, it seems very likely we're going to end up using a Water type so picking Mantine gets that out of the way as well as getting hazard control out of the way.

Comparison to Tentacruel:
  • You have reliable recovery and a ground immunity
  • You have a more reliable hazard control move
  • You lose out on Toxic Spikes passive damage, but it's not necessarily easy to set up anyways
  • You're weak to SR while being immune to Spikes
  • You have better stats apart from speed which is not too important, with some exceptions
It's obviously harder to compare to Hydreigon so I'll just say Hydreigon is still a viable choice if we pick Mantine/Tentacruel. I don't think we're quite done building our defenses yet for the balance team because we lack hazard control and a bulky water, so that's why I'm focusing on the Tentacruel and Mantine comparison.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pick Pocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

I'd also like to nominate a 5th Pokemon, is that allowed? I think the idea of a Pursuit trapper is very fitting on this team. Problem Pokemon that come to mind, include: M-Pidgeot, Latias, Celebi, Hawlucha (Sky Attack), Togekiss, Haxorus, Mamoswine, Starmie. Adding Weavile would be quite fitting in my opinion. It gives us an offensive option, Pursuit and, adequately covers most of those previously mentioned Pokemon.

Weavile makes us sensitive to Pokemon such as SD Scizor, Terrakion & Crawdaunt (depending on coverage). In terms of other good Pursuit Pokemon that I could see working; Scarf Krookodile & Alolan Muk could work too.

Weavile @ Life Orb/ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit / Low Kick / Poison Jab

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Looking at that current list of threats, nothing really comes to mind that could reliably deal with most of it defensively except maybe Blissey. Offensively however I think something could effectively check everything outside of Swampert and Primarina.

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

A good fast fire type keeps Mamo, the MowTom + Beedrill combo, and Weavile in check while also giving us a bit of momentum on the team with U-turn. It also gives us a method of pressuring opposing Mega-Steelix's backed by a Wishpasser not named Alomomola.
Prima and Swampert don't really mind Scarf Napes damage output but at least we can U-turn into something else.

Speaking of opposing Steelix, how does everyone feel about the stall match up for this team? It seems like we kinda live and die by how we play Latias, which isn't hard to tell from just a team preview at the start of a match. Might be worth adding a stallbreaker if anyone can think of one that fits the team well.
Importable
Steelix @ Steelixite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Latias @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Calm Mind

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Mantine @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)