UU Analysis Discussion Thread

Mega Sceptile's All-Out Offensive set still has mentions of Earthquake in the descriptions despite Earthquake not being listed in the moveset.

Threw

cohiba
Mega Sceptile's All-Out Offensive set still has mentions of Earthquake in the descriptions despite Earthquake not being listed in the moveset.
Moves that are considered not relevant enough to be slashed but too relevant for OO can be added to the "Moves" section. This is also the case with Ice Beam in this analysis and Flamethrower/other coverage moves in this analysis.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
I think that Slowking's Defensive and Bulky Set-Up Sweeper sets could just be merged into one set at this point, as most Slowkings these days run Calm Mind over Thunder Wave on the defensive set, although TWave is still a good option, and CM doesn't really differentiate itself that much from the defensive set to be it's own set, since the purpose of CM on defensive King is to act as a good bulky sweeper, but also as a way to pressure the opposing team with a bulkier and more powerful Slowking.

I feel that hoopa needs a revamp. The trick room set isn't very good and uses weird evs, imo it should be removed. Imo the sets should be Nasty Plot, Sub + 3 attacks and maybe mixed

The Tornadus-I Analysis needs a Revamp too, the Rain Dance set needs to be the first, the Special Attacker doesn't mention Tailwind, as it needs to have it's own place on the set with Taunt (Taunt / Tailwind, Focus Blast, Hurricane, Grass Knot) and this set needs to be the second one, imo.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I feel that hoopa needs a revamp. The trick room set isn't very good and uses weird evs, imo it should be removed. Imo the sets should be Nasty Plot, Sub + 3 attacks and maybe mixed
Strongly disagree - I think OTR is probably its best set. NP and Sub + 3 attacks are decent but OTR is largely the main reason Hoopa is viable in UU. I have yet to see mixed actually work better than straight Special.

The Tornadus-I Analysis needs a Revamp too, the Rain Dance set needs to be the first, the Special Attacker doesn't mention Tailwind, as it needs to have it's own place on the set with Taunt (Taunt / Tailwind, Focus Blast, Hurricane, Grass Knot) and this set needs to be the second one, imo.
Somewhat disagree here - I think Rain still is so matchup based and eh in UU that Torn as a dedicated setter will never be anything but niche (even if it is good at that niche), and TW + three attacks or all out attacker are the best options for Tornadus. I also think that here is a case where mixed actually IS quite good, and deserves a spot, while Bulk Up Torn is largely overrated. My personal preference would have the primary set as 3 attacks (with options for mixed) + TW/Taunt, followed by RD and physical, with Bulk Up in OO, but people seem to love their Bulk Up Torn, so I dunno.

Strongly disagree - I think OTR is probably its best set. NP and Sub + 3 attacks are decent but OTR is largely the main reason Hoopa is viable in UU. I have yet to see mixed actually work better than straight Special.
As Trick Room sweepers, Reuniclus and even Slowking are better. They have better physical bulk so are less susceptible to priority, they have better defensive typing and are much slower so can outrun much more in a Trick Room. Hoopa is more powerful though. Nasty Plot wrecks stall teams almost by itself.

As Trick Room sweepers, Reuniclus and even Slowking are better. They have better physical bulk so are less susceptible to priority, they have better defensive typing and are much slower so can outrun much more in a Trick Room. Hoopa is more powerful though. Nasty Plot wrecks stall teams almost by itself.
Nothing important to add, but you posted the same thing twice so I'm just letting you know.

Nothing important to add, but you posted the same thing twice so I'm just letting you know.
I apologise, that was unintentional.

A set I've used with good results:

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge / Heavy Slam
- Knock Off / Heavy Salm

It's not meant to sweep - use Bulk Up once or twice, and smash everything in front of you. Works well against stall teams once Sableye's out of the picture. Dynamic Punch's confusion also means a wall could lose a crucial turn of recovery. Choose coverage moves depending on what you want to hit - Stone Edge for Mandibuzz and Zapdos, Heavy Slam for Florges, Knock Off for Doublade. EVs let you outrun Chesnaught and Umbreon.

At the moment it's listed in OO, but personally I think it should get a main spot. I've had much better results with it than the Choice Band set (personally I think Pangoro's superior in that role).

I apologise, that was unintentional.

A set I've used with good results:

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge / Heavy Slam
- Knock Off / Heavy Salm

It's not meant to sweep - use Bulk Up once or twice, and smash everything in front of you. Works well against stall teams once Sableye's out of the picture. Dynamic Punch's confusion also means a wall could lose a crucial turn of recovery. Choose coverage moves depending on what you want to hit - Stone Edge for Mandibuzz and Zapdos, Heavy Slam for Florges, Knock Off for Doublade. EVs let you outrun Chesnaught and Umbreon.

At the moment it's listed in OO, but personally I think it should get a main spot. I've had much better results with it than the Choice Band set (personally I think Pangoro's superior in that role).
This set loses too much momentum, and it is unviable now that Gyarados and Alakazam are popular, and this set is completely outclassed by Heracross with the role of setup, but IF you run Guts over No Guard, this set could be a little bit viable, but it is still very niche.

Not sure if I'm missing something, but this page suggests Defog on Gligar. As far as I know, that is an illegal move as Gligar only learns Defog via HM in gen IV, and it cannot be transfered to later gens.

At first I thought it was just illegal with its hidden ability, but I can't seem to find a way to get Defog on a gen VI Gligar at all.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Not sure if this is the right place of if I'm missing something, but this page suggests Defog on Gligar. As far as I know, that is an illegal move as Gligar only learns Defog via HM in gen IV, and it cannot be transfered to later gens.

At first I thought it was just illegal with its hidden ability, but I can't seem to find a way to get Defog on a gen VI Gligar at all.
it's not an HM move in HGSS, so it can be transferred via those games

Tornadus analysis has been fixed to be better and more accurate. The Zapdos mention will be removed soon.
There's a typo in the Dragalge UU analysis, in the Moves section. It's spelled as Draaglge once.
Fixed.

I think Agility should be mentioned on Moltres's analysis, at the very least in OO. It can outrun Scarf Mienshao at +2 even without max Speed, and it can take priority not named Aqua Jet surprisingly well due to its decent bulk. It can set up on stuff like Band Entei locked into Sacred Fire, Shaymin, Band Krookodile / Rhyperior locked into Earthquake and Scarf Heracross. Still not convinced? Here's a replay:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-371428109
Starts on turn 17. I did get lucky with the Burn, but my point still stands that it's a good late game sweeper. Even if you don't get the chance to set up, it can still be a good wallbreaker.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

With regards to this Hoopa's Trick Room set isn't meant to be a Trick Room sweeper, but rather a very strong wallbreaker that has the option to use Trick Room in order to gain a favorable matchup against more offensive teams where it would usually have trouble finding breaking opportunities.

OK, so any thoughts on Agility Moltres? I've used it a lot, and it's a very effective late game cleaner. It deserves its own set, or at the very least OO.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I am on mobile and can't elaborate in detail, but I really don't think Agility Moltres should have its own set. If people feel like mentioning Agility in OO I don't have a problem with it, but I don't think it's a priority right now.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was checking the Jellicent analisys and in the section of checks & counter didnt mention at all electric-types such as Heliolisk and Ampharos. I could add this section if get permission.

Edit: Did

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If anyone has some free time, Mega Blastoise could use a quick polish. See a mention of Raikou. Not too familiar with on-site editing. Doesn't necessarily need a revamp, but the little things could be looked at.

Rhyperior's analysis mentions Mega Pidgeot, which was banned some time ago. Also, I really don't think Scarf Kyurem is a good set - it gives up a lot of power, and with its hazard weakness Kyurem doesn't want to be switching in and out too much. I'd much rather use Hydreigon as a Scarf Special Attacker - it's faster, has U-turn, and isn't weak to hazards.

Scarfed Kyurem is a surprise effect, it is slower than Scarfed Hydreigon, but it has some advantages, like defeat Whimsicott safely, 2HKO Mandibuzz and a STAB move that can hit Fairies, it can't hit them effectively, but if Florges/Sylveon is with ~60, you can 2HKO them aftet SR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)