Resource USM OU Role Compendium

Mega Diancie and Mega Sharpedo should be added in the abusers of Psychic Terrain too. It prevents both to get hit by any priority moves and, in the case of Sharpedo, boost the power of the Psychic Fangs.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Maybe adding in Psychium Z users the fact than Hoopa-U can also use it with Psyshock (or maybe Psychic), similar to Darknium Z section?

Some things to add:

- Pivots:

• Add Infernape to Offensive pivots
  • Add Mew and Toxapex to Defensive pivots

- Set-up:

• Add Magearna to Calm Mind
  • Possibly add Conkeldurr to Bulk Up
  • Possibly add M-Altaria to Cotton Guard

- Z-Moves:

• Add Togekiss to Firium Z (introduced by ABR, lures Celesteela and Steel Types in general)
  • Add Reuniclus to Steelium Z (allows it to hit Clef, Magearna and stuffs)
  • Possibly add Landorus-T to Groundium Z (beats things like M-Venu, M-Zor, etc)
  • Possibly add Clefable to Psychium Z (Stored Power) (Cool option for the CM non-Rocks set which beats Toxapex, M-Venu and is just stronger than Stored Power when it's not boosted enough)
  • Possibly add Kyurem-B to Electrium Z (Cool option which helps it to smack Steel Types when paired with Electric Terrain)
  • Possibly add Greninja to Poisonium Z and Psychium Z (Useful lure for things like Clef, Pex, M-Venu, Keld, etc)

- Terrains:

• Electric Terrain: Add M-Diancie (Nature Power), M-Medicham, Necrozma (Electric Seed), and possibly add Heatran (Nature Power) and Kyurem-B
  • Psychic Terrain: Add M-Diancie and possibly add M-Medicham, M-Sharpedo and Hawlucha (Psychic Seed)
  • Grassy Terrain: Add M-Diancie, Kartana, Necrozma (Grassy Seed) and possibly add Reuniclus (Grassy Seed), M-Camerupt and Zygarde

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Mega Swampert is a good stealth rock user, giving ferrothorn the opportunity to run spikes, and being able to set rocks against stall.

Nidoqueen should be added to toxic spikes and stealth rocks
Mega Scizor should be added to misty terrain
Thundurus-I should be added to flyinium z for its bulk up z-fly set
Necrozma should be added to electric terrain
Reuniclus should be added to steelium z

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Can we revamp this to include necessities and not dogshit mons as well as roles that we really don't need. There is a lot of unnecessary stuff included in here and let's be real it's suppose to be a guideline of some sort not a bible of crappy mons. For example what's the point of having a "niche" ssection if it's exactly that and should be used in specific circumstances.

Some roles like stallbreakers should pertain to only definitive stallbreakers to good ones. Some roles like Hazards and Hazard Removal are important but looking at the list unless you're ben gay or trying to screw around with something you're not using a lot of what's here on a daily basis.

Z-Moves users is unecessary. There is too many mons that can viably run one and it's a given at this point.

MegaStarUniverse

Banned deucer.
I mean out of the hazard removal/prevention pokemon i seen every one of them besides Starmie perform well in a tournament game. So i think that can stay as it is

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Oh yaysies GMars picked this up
Anyways, I'm definitely gonna agree with AM here, Z-Move users is absolutely unnecessary. It's nice seeing potential z-moves that mons could use but most of the ones that aren't listed on the site are just super niche and should never be used in this metagame.
In general, there are just way too many super niche options listed. If this is a newcomer's guide, why mislead them into using these? The standards for what gets listed definitely needs to rise.
Anyways, outside of that:
-Take Zard X out of the niche Megas. 3 Atks + Roost is a phenomenal breaker in this metagame and is underrated in the niche spot.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
sup GMars, you probably haven't looked at this yet so you might have some of my suggestions in mind already, but I'm still posting in case you miss something.
*Remove all Dug mentions
*Move Zard X and Mega Gyara to viable Megas
*Remove set up based Zyg from Stallbreakers (this is kinda optional because in theory subtox still annoys stall but who uses that set anymore)
*Remove Mew from there too, not only is it useless vs Stall but the Taunt variants that can sort of annoy Sabless Stall arent relevant
*consider removing helmet chomp from physical walls, thats another unset
*Add Uxie to rocks because its used on TR
*Remove Necrozma
*Id nuke CM Manaphy because thats too niche
I had other stuff but I forgot about a couple lol. I dont like the current "niche Megas" section btw, it feels kinda weird because most of those Megas are viable yet they arent labelled as "viable Megas". Theres also Mega Latios in there which is unviable compared to the other Megas there. Id just either nuke M Latios and move them all to viable or move M Latios to a third "niche section" and rename them to situational or smt, I think the former makes more sense
Good luck with this :)

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can we revamp this to include necessities and not dogshit mons as well as roles that we really don't need. There is a lot of unnecessary stuff included in here and let's be real it's suppose to be a guideline of some sort not a bible of crappy mons. For example what's the point of having a "niche" ssection if it's exactly that and should be used in specific circumstances.

Some roles like stallbreakers should pertain to only definitive stallbreakers to good ones. Some roles like Hazards and Hazard Removal are important but looking at the list unless you're ben gay or trying to screw around with something you're not using a lot of what's here on a daily basis.

Z-Moves users is unecessary. There is too many mons that can viably run one and it's a given at this point.
Oh yaysies GMars picked this up
Anyways, I'm definitely gonna agree with AM here, Z-Move users is absolutely unnecessary. It's nice seeing potential z-moves that mons could use but most of the ones that aren't listed on the site are just super niche and should never be used in this metagame.
In general, there are just way too many super niche options listed. If this is a newcomer's guide, why mislead them into using these? The standards for what gets listed definitely needs to rise.
Anyways, outside of that:
-Take Zard X out of the niche Megas. 3 Atks + Roost is a phenomenal breaker in this metagame and is underrated in the niche spot.
sup GMars, you probably haven't looked at this yet so you might have some of my suggestions in mind already, but I'm still posting in case you miss something.
*Remove all Dug mentions
*Move Zard X and Mega Gyara to viable Megas
*Remove set up based Zyg from Stallbreakers (this is kinda optional because in theory subtox still annoys stall but who uses that set anymore)
*Remove Mew from there too, not only is it useless vs Stall but the Taunt variants that can sort of annoy Sabless Stall arent relevant
*consider removing helmet chomp from physical walls, thats another unset
*Add Uxie to rocks because its used on TR
*Remove Necrozma
*Id nuke CM Manaphy because thats too niche
I had other stuff but I forgot about a couple lol. I dont like the current "niche Megas" section btw, it feels kinda weird because most of those Megas are viable yet they arent labelled as "viable Megas". Theres also Mega Latios in there which is unviable compared to the other Megas there. Id just either nuke M Latios and move them all to viable or move M Latios to a third "niche section" and rename them to situational or smt, I think the former makes more sense
Good luck with this :)
Alright, I cleaned out the majority of unviable mons and put in vertical bars to give a quick separation between viable and niche mons (if it's <= C+ on the VR, it's now behind a | at the end of the list) to help newcomers understand what's niche vs somewhat common at a glance.

The only section I didn't update was stallbreakers - do you guys have suggestions on how to handle / reformat this section?

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Alright, I cleaned out the majority of unviable mons and put in vertical bars to give a quick separation between viable and niche mons (if it's <= C+ on the VR, it's now behind a | at the end of the list) to help newcomers understand what's niche vs somewhat common at a glance.

The only section I didn't update was stallbreakers - do you guys have suggestions on how to handle / reformat this section?
I really like the way this looks now, great job man! Regarding the Stallbreaker section, I think the first thing that needs to be cleared out is the definition of a Stallbreaker. According to the mons dictionary linked in the OP, a Stallbreaker is a mon that pressures Stall by "preventing mons found on these teams from executing their strategies instead of breaking down walls". By that definiton, Heatran and Taunt Gliscor would be Stallbreakers whereas SD Lando and Bulu would be wallbreakers. However, if this definition is considered outdated you could keep all of the mons that pressure Stall (which imo would be more helpful for new players) and separate the good ones from niche ones like you've done with the rest of the roles. What do you think?

I still think mega scizor and possibly zard x could be added to misty terrain abusers because they both appreciate not catching status.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
ye thats why i said possibly but also not being able to get hit by t-wave and toxic is very nice for it, have seen quite a few teams with zard x ferro fini too so thats what i was referring to
It's paired with Fini for defog, not for the terrain. In fact, said terrain can be pretty bad for it, as it needs Dragon Claw to effectively hit many of the fire resists in this meta. T-wave is still rather uncommon nowadays, though it does hate Toxic.

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
m-zor doesnt appreciate burns, it also has good type synergy, i take back what i said about zard x
Physical sweepers don't like burns. Why should Mega Scizor be put into that category and not any other physical sweeper with type synergy not immune to burn?

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
name others with type synergy and not appreciating the burn
Answering a question with another question isn't gonna work here, bud. You still haven't said what makes makes Mega Scizor in particular special enough to be designated as a specific abuser of Misty Terrain.

Also, Excadrill, Garchomp, Bisharp, Heracross-Mega, Kartana, Landorus-T, Mawile-Mega, Pinsir-Mega, Terrakion, Tyranitar, and Zygarde all benefit in one way or another from Misty Terrain. Why should we not add all of these if Mega Scizor is added?

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
I feel like the Grassy Terrain and Misty Terrain abusers section is kinda awkward because in reality pretty much any grounded defensive mon would love the extra recovery and any grounded offensive mon the immunity from status. I think the Psychic and Electric Terrain abusers make a bit more sense because of Nature Power and Seeds but the other 2 are a bit pointless imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)