using pokemon moves and typing in oldschool d20 gaming

I am trying to make a game similar to dungeons & dragons and was hoping people here could help me make some progress coming up with ideas for spells and worlds / domains to explore and stuff. I was hoping to make it very minimalistic and simple to play while still requiring large amounts of strategy. My idea was to take the types and stuff in pokemon and apply them to leveling and character development of d&d and then tag on a really great system for stats. D&d's attacks are sorta silly because armor doesnt reduce damage taken: it just increases chance of a miss. I made a system for rolling where you roll the same amount of dice no matter what for any attack, and then apply simple math to factor in strength of attack, your attack or potency (liek attack and special attack in pokemon), and the defense or resistance (defense or special defense from pokemon). I made a simple calculator program that does the rolling and damage calculations for you to a point where you just plug in your stats at begining and hit enter at begining of turn and its all rolled and calculated for you instantly. At level 1 you start with 10 of every stat and every level from 1-20 you get 5 points to spend wherever you want, as long as you never go over 60 for a single stat. Each point increases the effect of that stat. Brain power points effect mana used for attack spells, faith points controls mana for heals and buffs, attack points make you hit harder, potency points make your spells and DOTs hammer out extra damage and also makes heals restore more health, resitance points help you resist spels, defense points help you resist attacks. This allows players to become very specialized as they aproach level 20 (max). There will be specialzied roles with tanks and sweepers only it will be dynamic and unique.

So now heres where help comes in - can anyone think of really out there spells and attacks you would LOVE to see in a game? keep in mind each spell has to have a type based off of pokemon typing (i renamed the types to be more oldschool RPG friendly but i still know which of mine correpsonds to rthe real deal). Since this is an oldschool style game not all spells have to be used in combat like pokemon - some stuff can be about scrying or trickery too. The last part is domains. I want to make lots of weird themed domains (weird cheesy but loveable places like "dinosaur land" or cliche sounding RPG stuff like the "bronze citadel" or something) to explore and am having trouble making it work.

hope thats not too long but i am having a lot of trouble finishing this. I have typed up all the details of my game in a makeshift dungeon masters guide on notepad and it is liek 20 pages long already, so obviously i cant explain everything to you upfront, but if you have a question there is a good chance it is adressed already so i can respond acordingly. thanks for the help and the HOPEFULLY respectful responses i get - matt

wrong forum/forums list. This sort of fan type stuff belongs in Pokecommunity or even Serebii, you'll get a much better reaction from those sites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)