Unpopular opinions

This one is not much of an unpopular opinion due to disagreements and more of an unpopular opinion because it's pretty much never discussed, but whatever.

I like those moves that essentially work like abilities. Say, Facade being a one-turn Guts, Magic Coat being a one-turn Magic Bounce or Sunsteel Strike/Moongeist Beam having a Mold Breaker-like secondary effect. Also items with similar purposes like Protective Pads or Air Balloon.

They are pretty interesting, and would like to see Game Freak introduce more of them in the future, regardless of viability.

(Say, an item that gives the user a Regenerator-like passive effect - as long as it does not stack with Regenerator itself, that is)

Pokémon White might be my favorite Pokémon game. I loved having to use all new Pokémon, and the distribution of them throughout the game is fantastic. The first gym having whatever your starter was weak to made you have to try other Pokémon. The 2nd gym was Normal types but you could catch an amazing Fighting Pokémon right next to it who I used for the rest of the game. They spread out Pokémon throughout the game that become great team members. It only becomes a problem late because of the ridiculous level requirements (which I wish they would retcon and lower so they can be given new life), but I still put the time in to evolve my Rufflet who also became a valued member of my team. The way it was set up gave me a huge appreciation for a lot of gen 5 Pokémon, where in gen 4 there was little need to switch from the early route Pokémon because they were so good.

The first gym having whatever your starter was weak to made you have to try other Pokémon.
Actually, a pretty common complaint with this gym is that, due to this, you're forced to use the elemental monkey unless you want to spend time grinding up a normal type, so in a way it actually did the reverse - forcing you into a single Pokemon as your choice selection.

Man, that would have been such a cool concept if they actually had a variety of Pokemon one could use before facing the gym that forces you to use a different typed Pokemon. Maybe if they threw it at the third gym as a sort of "Are you paying attention to the mechanics of the game?" thing.

Actually, a pretty common complaint with this gym is that, due to this, you're forced to use the elemental monkey unless you want to spend time grinding up a normal type, so in a way it actually did the reverse - forcing you into a single Pokemon as your choice selection.
I never used the monkey. It took a couple Pokémon to kill it but it felt more satisfying than just using one.

Garbodor is the most hilarious Pokémon known to man, imo.
Couldn't agree more. It's like Gamefreak's designers responded to people criticizing their designs by saying "Oh, you think everything we do looks like trash? Well, you're gonna love this then!" Even if that is probably more my own headcanon than anything else, the fact that there's a Pokemon that's literally a walking pile of garbage with the most derpy expression ever is awesome.

I hate with a passion the noise that plays when you register someone to your pokegear in HGSS, I went so far as to turn off the sound every time the annoying jingle played. I don't know why I hate it, I just do.

I hate with a passion the noise that plays when you register someone to your pokegear in HGSS, I went so far as to turn off the sound every time the annoying jingle played. I don't know why I hate it, I just do.
I do a similar thing whenever that annoying "you caught a Pokemon!" music plays. I hate it with a passion.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
The names of Suspect threads should use more Vocaloid

that is all

Oh and I heard a bit of chat about Defog earlier. I think Sigilyph would make a great user of it

I'm actually kinda interested in Tornadus. Priority Defog for its Incarnate forme, and passive recovery from Stealth Rock damage in its Therian form (no Pokemon gets Regenerator and Defog).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Defog Crew: Defog had a wide distribution in Gen IV, pretty much if the Pokemon had wings they could learn Defog (and then some). So if they keep that same mentality the following Gen V, VI, & VII Pokemon should get Defog:

Gen V: Pidove/Tranquill/Unfezant, Woobat/Swoobat, Sigilyph, Archen/Acheops*, Ducklett/Swanna**, Emolga(?), Druddigon, Rufflet/Braviary**, Vullaby/Mandibuzz**, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Tornadus/Thunderus/Landorus (may not have wings, but their wind/storm deities), Reshiram, Zekrom
Gen VI: Fletchling/Fletchinder/Talonflame, Vivillon, Spritzee/Aromatisse, Hawlucha, Noibat/Noivern, Yveltal
Gen VII: Rowlet/Dartrix/Decidueye*, Pikipek/Trumbeak/Toucannon, Vikavolt, Oricorio, Cutiefly/Ribombee, Drampa, Lunala, Buzzwole, Pheromosa(?), Kartana**

* Gets it via Breeding
** Gets it via Level-up/Move Reminder

And these are just the Pokemon I'm pretty sure will get it. The thing is some other Pokemon also get Defog for one reason or another. We can guess why, though honestly its up to GF if they want to go with that reasoning or not.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So, a nuzlocke I'm watching just had a little controversy pop-up and, while I won't go into specifics of that nuzlocke, I think it's an interesting topic to talk about (and we unpopular opinions to boot):

Nuzlocke Wipe: What is allowed when a nuzlocke results in a team wipe? From what I can tell there's two options:

1. Game over. You lost. Either reset from start or admit defeat and move on. Nuzlockes are meant to be a special playthrough where you prove to be the Champion the game says you are, a trainer who never loses a battle. So if you lose a battle, well, you're not that trainer thus complete game over.
Unreasonable? Well the thing is the game, except in a few occasions, does expect you just win all battles during the main game, especially in storyline battles. Losing to your rival or a member of the villain team, even the boss, is mostly treated like it never happened when you go for a rematch (or at least there's no consequences when there really should be).

2. As long as you have Pokemon in your PC, you can keep going. You're core team, the team you planned on going to the top with, are gone. But they wouldn't want you to give up, not when they have friends in the PC just itching for their time in the spotlight. It may involve a bit of grinding to get back where you were, but as long as there is at least one Pokemon who will battle for you then you deserve a chance to redeem yourself and avenge/make proud the Pokemon you lost.
It's kind of disappointing to leave the story unfinished, especially when you have other options sitting in your PC. No one is perfect, and do you really want to start the game all over again or just give up on it? Sure the game expects you to win every battle, but if you lose the game doesn't end, that's just a self imposed rule. Plus not all battles are life or death, a normal trainer battle or even a Gym Leader battle seems like a type of battle where they'd let you try again.

So, what do you think? Which option to you feel most right? Or do you think a combination might be best, most of the time you're allowed to create a new team with Pokemon in your PC except for a few battles where it's treated you must win or game over (villain team, rival, Pokemon League (I feel if you lose to the Elite Four/Champion that costs all your Badges)).

So, recently they defeated Winona with relative ease, one casualty but that was accidental. Everything looked normal... except on closer expectation there was some inconsistencies between the initiation of the battle and the proper start of the battle.
Their Anorith was 1 level higher and was holding an Oran Berry when they gave it a Sitrus Berry. In addition to them knowing Altaria had Earthquake seemingly out of the blue and a suspicious comment about an "alternate timeline", theories popped up suggesting they did get swept by Winona's Altaria. Most likely Anorith had gained a level from defeating some of Winona's other Pokemon, using up the Sitrus Berry it originally had at some point, only for Altaria then to come in and start Earthquaking/Aerial Acing their Ground-weak team. Upon resetting and "smooth" editing, they decided the only way to beat Altaria was having Electrode explode on it to weaken it for the knock out (and in a way to "make up" for resetting). As it turns out, this was true.
They justify the reset on not wanting to end the story there and due to busy schedules not wanting to start again/grind. For hosts of an entertainment channel, their reasons are understandable but now the issue of whether this can be considered a "true" Nuzlocke is being raised and what should they do (also one can only wonder if the would have admitted to their loss if no one noticed the inconsistency, a potential trust issue). Now they are going to show the wipe battle but overall it has left at least a few fans split on how they handled it.

Due to them admitting the lost and the reasons they gave I'm willing to let them break this rule (I'm sure they broke other nuzlocke rules in the past anyway) as long as it's only done for a wipe. That said, they can no longer call themselves the "King of Nuzlockes", at least not until they do another "clean" Nuzlocke.

In case you don't want to be spoiled for that specific one.

Obvioulsy

Honestly, I think the gen 1 anime is incredibly overrated. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it was bad, just that it gets more love than it deserves. My personal favorite pokemon anime is the DP season. Paul's rivalry with Ash was really cool, and it was nice to see them use actual strategy. It also introduced some great characters like Tobias, who reminds me of myself whenever I use a legendary to blaze through the elite 4.

So, a nuzlocke I'm watching just had a little controversy pop-up and, while I won't go into specifics of that nuzlocke, I think it's an interesting topic to talk about (and we unpopular opinions to boot):

Nuzlocke Wipe: What is allowed when a nuzlocke results in a team wipe? From what I can tell there's two options:

1. Game over. You lost. Either reset from start or admit defeat and move on. Nuzlockes are meant to be a special playthrough where you prove to be the Champion the game says you are, a trainer who never loses a battle. So if you lose a battle, well, you're not that trainer thus complete game over.
Unreasonable? Well the thing is the game, except in a few occasions, does expect you just win all battles during the main game, especially in storyline battles. Losing to your rival or a member of the villain team, even the boss, is mostly treated like it never happened when you go for a rematch (or at least there's no consequences when there really should be).

2. As long as you have Pokemon in your PC, you can keep going. You're core team, the team you planned on going to the top with, are gone. But they wouldn't want you to give up, not when they have friends in the PC just itching for their time in the spotlight. It may involve a bit of grinding to get back where you were, but as long as there is at least one Pokemon who will battle for you then you deserve a chance to redeem yourself and avenge/make proud the Pokemon you lost.
It's kind of disappointing to leave the story unfinished, especially when you have other options sitting in your PC. No one is perfect, and do you really want to start the game all over again or just give up on it? Sure the game expects you to win every battle, but if you lose the game doesn't end, that's just a self imposed rule. Plus not all battles are life or death, a normal trainer battle or even a Gym Leader battle seems like a type of battle where they'd let you try again.

So, what do you think? Which option to you feel most right? Or do you think a combination might be best, most of the time you're allowed to create a new team with Pokemon in your PC except for a few battles where it's treated you must win or game over (villain team, rival, Pokemon League (I feel if you lose to the Elite Four/Champion that costs all your Badges)).

So, recently they defeated Winona with relative ease, one casualty but that was accidental. Everything looked normal... except on closer expectation there was some inconsistencies between the initiation of the battle and the proper start of the battle.
Their Anorith was 1 level higher and was holding an Oran Berry when they gave it a Sitrus Berry. In addition to them knowing Altaria had Earthquake seemingly out of the blue and a suspicious comment about an "alternate timeline", theories popped up suggesting they did get swept by Winona's Altaria. Most likely Anorith had gained a level from defeating some of Winona's other Pokemon, using up the Sitrus Berry it originally had at some point, only for Altaria then to come in and start Earthquaking/Aerial Acing their Ground-weak team. Upon resetting and "smooth" editing, they decided the only way to beat Altaria was having Electrode explode on it to weaken it for the knock out (and in a way to "make up" for resetting). As it turns out, this was true.
They justify the reset on not wanting to end the story there and due to busy schedules not wanting to start again/grind. For hosts of an entertainment channel, their reasons are understandable but now the issue of whether this can be considered a "true" Nuzlocke is being raised and what should they do (also one can only wonder if the would have admitted to their loss if no one noticed the inconsistency, a potential trust issue). Now they are going to show the wipe battle but overall it has left at least a few fans split on how they handled it.

Due to them admitting the lost and the reasons they gave I'm willing to let them break this rule (I'm sure they broke other nuzlocke rules in the past anyway) as long as it's only done for a wipe. That said, they can no longer call themselves the "King of Nuzlockes", at least not until they do another "clean" Nuzlocke.

In case you don't want to be spoiled for that specific one.

Obvioulsy
Nuzlockes are like (glitched) speedruns. Whether they are true/valid or not, depends on who you ask.

Just the idea of Nuzlockes seems dumb to me. There's so much RNG that can screw you over. When I was playing through Pokémon Yellow recently, in Viridian Forest I gen 1 missed Thundershock with my Pikachu and it died. If I was doing a Nuzlocke then I would have raged so hard.

Self imposed challenges are up to the player's discretion, and really nobody can tell you how to play your own game. And since the Nuzlocke rules were open to interpretation from inception...

I just deposit mine as a tribute to the fallen.

...then I feel it best left up to the player.

Heck, while we're at it should we discuss the other soft rules like how to handle gift pokemon, the first "new" pokemon encountered rule (to prevent a full box of pidgey), what to do when you don't have a necessary HM slave and your routes are used up, should you randomize your starter pick, can you trade evolve, and so on and so forth.

Since the most pressing matter I have to worry about today is whether or not I'll have health care coverage in the future with a dangerous political climate, debating about how other people should play video games seems woefully insignificant.

In Pikachu315111 's scenario, I believe they had this choice: either stop the recordings entirely (since they didn't have time or scheduling for another run through 65% of the game) or continue on under a rule exception. So if given the choice between no content at all and some content, then I believe the answer is clear. Since they came out and admitted the edit (which they should have admitted from the start, but whatev's) I don't think there is much more to discuss.

Although I really don't follow their letsplays that much, just their other content. Are they really that cocky?

Granted, getting that sometimes compromises must be made through the heads of Youtube commenters will be tougher than raising the dead. Seriously, we are pretty spoiled by how safe and welcoming the Smogon OI forum is. Take some time out of your day to thank the mods!

Just the idea of Nuzlockes seems dumb to me. There's so much RNG that can screw you over. When I was playing through Pokémon Yellow recently, in Viridian Forest I gen 1 missed Thundershock with my Pikachu and it died. If I was doing a Nuzlocke then I would have raged so hard.
Yeah, I guess I can state this unpopular opinion too. I'm not a fan of the Nuzlock concept. Like, people will get onto your case for hacking in Pokemon, because "it goes against the spirit of the game." (I mean, don't get me wrong, there're other reasons a person could be against hacking. Me personally.... I don't go out of my way to hack anymore. But if someone gives me a hacked Pokemon, I'll use it.)

Okay, so I guess pretending your Pokemon die after a lost battle is in line with the spirit of Pokemon? Like, don't get me wrong. Sometimes they can be kind of interesting to watch.... But, at the same time, it seems more like a chore than anything. Thanks to being at the mercy of the RNG. (Although to be fair.... Fire Emblem was like that before Casual Mode was added.)

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
ok as someone who's tried a nuzlocke or two let me explain the appeal behind them. there are three main things that nuzlockes provide:
  1. moar emotional attachment toward your mons. this is especially true if you're playing with nicknames. you will grow closer to your party members even more because of the risk of losing them forever.
  2. you use mons that you've never used before. when your options start to wear thin, you have a genuine incentive to try as hard as you can to make the things you have work. in addition this also means that more often than not you'll end up using stuff like late route things.
  3. games get hard, like really hard. even "free lucarionite" xy and "have a lati" oras become challenges (assuming you don't use the exp share). it really keeps you engaged.
so yeah i at least recommend trying a nuzlocke if you haven't already. you guys seem to be a bit hasty in judging them.

As someone who regularly enjoys nuzlockes, the main draw to them is their challenge. You can't steamroll the game with some revives for example, and you have to be aware of what could RNG screw you over at all times. Nuzlockes also allow you to use Pokemon that you might only pass by on a regular playthrough, which can make you appreciate new Pokemon.

Yeah, I guess I can state this unpopular opinion too. I'm not a fan of the Nuzlock concept. Like, people will get onto your case for hacking in Pokemon, because "it goes against the spirit of the game." (I mean, don't get me wrong, there're other reasons a person could be against hacking. Me personally.... I don't go out of my way to hack anymore. But if someone gives me a hacked Pokemon, I'll use it.)

Okay, so I guess pretending your Pokemon die after a lost battle is in line with the spirit of Pokemon? Like, don't get me wrong. Sometimes they can be kind of interesting to watch.... But, at the same time, it seems more like a chore than anything. Thanks to being at the mercy of the RNG. (Although to be fair.... Fire Emblem was like that before Casual Mode was added.)
The difference between hacking and a Nuzlocke is that a Nuzlocke is completely legal without the use of external software. You can just buy a game cartridge and do it. Hacking is specifically abusing and "against the spirit" because you're not supposed to be able to hack, at all. A Nuzlocke is just a self-imposed challenge, it is perfectly fair because you use mechanics in the game (releasing/permanently boxing "dead" Pokemon). Pokemon dying is just your headcanon.

Ultimately the main way a Nuzlocke is within the spirit of the game is because you're not doing anything you're not meant to be doing, it is just a set of self imposed challenges on the player. If people don't like Nuzlocke's that is fine, but other people are allowed to enjoy them.

Oh and Nuzlocke doesn't apply to any form of competitive, ever.

Doesn't this completely defeat the main point of a nuzlocke though? At that point I wouldn't really call it a nuzlocke if you take away the main factor.
Well, I only use the ones that I can find in the wild, and since they are very uncommon, I usually don't find them. But I do see what you mean.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)