Unova Classic

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yep, Gamefreak has already announced the sequel to Sinnoh Classic!

-You can use Pokemon from #1-#649, with the usual Ubers and event mons banned.

-This is a triples battle, better get used to shifting and placement!

-You'll get N's Zen Mode Darmaitan for this.

-Mega Stones and Soul Dew are banned

-15 battles per day.

-Transfers are allowed.

VIABILITY RANKINGS (WIP)

S Rank

Landorus-T
Politoed
Amoonguss

A Rank

Ludicolo
Hitmontop
Crobat
Whimsicott
Terrakion
Cresselia
Togekiss
Kingdra
Gastrodon
Heatran
Jellicent
Zapdos
Rotom-W
Gothitelle
Hydreigon
Smeargle

B Rank

Dusclops
Tyranitar
Excadrill
Bisharp
Abomasnow
Thundurus
Hariyama
Gardevoir
Tornadus
Ninetales
Scizor
Raikou
Braviary
Milotic
Meinshao

C Rank

Breloom
Garchomp
Escavalier
Thundurus-T
Conkeldurr
Kecleon
Cherrim
Sableye
Blastoise
Typhlosion
PorygonZ
Ambipom
Kangaskhan
Unfezent
Krookodile
Slowbro
Slowking
Dusknoir

D Rank

Golduck
Altaria
Illumise

Unsure of

Weavile
Staraptor
Alomomola
Metagross
Virizion
Porygon2
Hippowdon
Uxie

Last edited:
Hi cant say hi ethan06 ! Y'all should hit up ps or discord for real or both man.
Anyway, this triples thing looks like fun for Thundurus Tornadus Landorus and homeboy Conkeldurr! Or do I want Machamp?!?!? Wide Guard!!!!!
hrmm. Then I guess well, idk perhaps that devastating serp for rotom-w and some kinda dragon haha Latios!! for both rotoms and nuking capabilities!
Am I on track for a viable team?!?!?! Wait that's a full team, 3 genies, Latios, serp, and conk/champ!

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is totally just predictions on my part, but I imagine that this metagame will have a lot of similarities to Battle Spot Triples. The big differences to look at are:

-Important Gen 6 mons banned: Sylveon, Talonflame, Aegislash, Meowstic, and to a lesser extent, Klefki

-Mega Pokemon are banned.

This means we lose a lot of spread attackers in particular such as Mega Charizard Y, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Camerupt, etc.

Of course I expect there to be differences (for example the lack of pentagon means that Eruption Heatran is likely to be very common alongside Sunny Day Dusclops or whatever), but I imagine important Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Terrakion, Whimsicott, Cresselia, Amoonguss, etc will still run almost the same sets they usually run.

N's Darmanitan is the prize here? Really? We can already get that in BW2. Even if it's more meant for those who couldn't get those games... Ugh. I'd have preferred any other trainer despite maybe Iris and Alder (Haxorus and Volcarona were already obtainable in a japanese event). Something like Bianca's Munna, Ghechis' Hydreigon or even a Gym Leader's main 'mon would've been way better. Moreover, Zen Mode only is meh.

I may still participate in this tho, since Triples is an interesting metagame. I don't like using Landorus-T but if the main motivation here is to win most matches as possible, I'm open to use it. And well, I kinda didn't want to miss any of the Classic competitions. Heatran seems to be back as well.

Oh man triples. I've never in my life played a triples game let's do this.

I really do have to go and SR for a Cresselia now don't I? Damn it, I kept putting that off.

Beat Up + Terrekion is definitely gonna be a thing. I'm anticipating seeing a Whimsicott, Terrekion and a Wide Guarder lead. Rock Slide is gonna be a huge threat, and without Mega Zard Y, I doubt sun will be very popular.

I'm 5000% too lazy to get my own Dark Void Smeargle. Do we think it's going to be much of a problem this meta?

Bringing my Revenge-Killer Alakazam and nobody can stop me (I called him Psycho Killer. The urge was too strong not to)

Considering that the Unova region (initially) only contains Unova Pokemon, and its first VGC tournament used the Unova Pokedex, I'm surprised this lets you use all Pokemon from Gen 1-5. That being said, Triples will be a nice change of pace. I remember Festive Feud being a lot of fun!

So without Mega Charizard Y, who would you use as a Heat Wave user? I'm thinking something like Volcarona should be the one of the viable options.

Theorymon

So without Mega Charizard Y, who would you use as a Heat Wave user? I'm thinking something like Volcarona should be the one of the viable options.
I'm guessing Hetran is gonna be the big one on Trick Room teams, since no pentagon means it can also use Eruption. With Mega Charizard Y being gone, I could actually see Dusclops being the most common Sun setter. That may sound strange, but last time on ORAS when the pentagons where gone, most Dusclops were still using Sunny Day over Helping Hand just because it'd screw up rain teams and make Heatran EXTREMELY powerful!

I could see Ninetales still having a niche though. Believe it or not, a few people use Ninetales in Triples because it tends to be a better pick for Cherrim teams. With no Talonflame around, Cherrim might be a bit nastier than usual. Only thing is that with no Mega Evos, you can't give stuff like Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Metagross those dangerous boosts.

So the next tournament is going to VGC15 with no Megas (aka the Kalos classic)?

I'm really bummed I didn't get to take part in the Sinnoh classic, despite being ready for it, because of internet problems. However, I'll definitely be taking part in this one. Too bad the last time I played triples was to get 50 wins in the Masion.

How common is sand in triples? It seems like without Char-Y it should be easier to keep it up, and between TTar's rock slide and Excadrill's EQ/RS, it should be capable of doing a ton of damage.

So the next tournament is going to VGC15 with no Megas (aka the Kalos classic)?

I'm really bummed I didn't get to take part in the Sinnoh classic, despite being ready for it, because of internet problems. However, I'll definitely be taking part in this one. Too bad the last time I played triples was to get 50 wins in the Masion.

How common is sand in triples? It seems like without Char-Y it should be easier to keep it up, and between TTar's rock slide and Excadrill's EQ/RS, it should be capable of doing a ton of damage.
Well, looking at Battle Spot Triples data from the most recent season, (used battle spot trips due to Theorymon's prediction) it appears that Rain teams are the most common weather teams, with Politoed and Ludicolo being the most common rain members (Gothitelle and Kingdra are also common). Sand teams seem way less common, but you will likely see a few. Ttar is the most common sand setter, and common teammates appear to be Excadrill, Hitmontop, Amoongus, Rotom-H, Landorus-T, and Hariyama. NOTE: The data source that I'm using doesn't really allow for lookups of the weather moves usage stats (Sunny Day, Sandstorm, etc...), so the only way I can tell how common weather teams are, is by looking for mons with weather abilities. Not ideal, but its something. Click Here for data. I tried looking up PS statistics, but was unable to find it. Still new, I'll figure it out eventually. lol.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
FINALLY, the first battle comp. since Kanto Classic I care enough about to participate in.

Triples is where I feel Maisonmons have the best chance to shine--it's easiest to find some synergy between often-disparate sets, and in a competition like this you never quite know what sorts of team archetypes can become popular (i.e., rain should be seen a lot, but for a short thing like this, that trend could very easily be bucked).

My current placeholder team to being into this is Donphan4/Weezing4/Swampert3/Serperior4/Froslass4/Starmie4, but obviously that can be tinkered with (no pentagon rule certainly helps in that regard). Of course, if I Maison enough between now and registration, I might get inspired by some opposing team I run into.

Triples and Unova, no megas... omg, I know the PERFECT pile of stupid fucking shit to run and no Arbok is not the answer.
Rain has a fair list of Surf-spam shenanigans with Dry Skin, Storm Drain, and Water Absorb (I'm not joking when I say Water Absorb Water Spout Jelly front and center will murder shit) so yeah I'd recommend Wide Guard everywhere; Hitmontop has always been a big force in Triples, use it. Wide Guard + Feint everywhere.
Oh and keep Pulse and Flying moves in mind for positioning.
TerraCott, you can use Follow Me to steal the Beat Up. Togekiss being one of the better users.

Personally I'm going to bring a variant of my Maison triples team out of the box, I'm sure I'll either end 0-6 or pull of some fantastic spectacle of bullshit victory and hit some 66% or higher winrate when I have no business winning at all, just like the last 3 classics.

Smuckem

Personally I'm going to bring a variant of my Maison triples team out of the box, I'm sure I'll either end 0-6 or pull of some fantastic spectacle of bullshit victory and hit some 66% or higher winrate when I have no business winning at all, just like the last 3 classics.
God I hope we run into each other during this comp--your Maison team versus my team of Maisonmons (whatever it ends up being) will be totally "Silly Things You've Seen in OM"-worthy.
You wouldn't mind getting run over by a human-controlled Shuckle4, would you? (I should ask the community-as-a-whole that, actually).

I know the PERFECT pile of stupid fucking shit to run and no Arbok is not the answer.
Aww c'mon. You know you want to.

In the vein of "if you're not running stupid shit what's the point", I'm probably bringing my water absorb wide guard Mantyke. If I win even a single match in this it'll be a miracle (I don't do triples) but it's going to be FUN.

Oh man. Never played a triple battle but I had a lot of fun with Gen V Pokemon. How much prep work goes into making a viable Triples team? I don't have that much free time to breed and EV train 6 new Pokemon for a metagame I'll likely only play once.

Smuckem

Actually, with no pentagon in place you could probably transfer whatever Gen V battle-readies you have...er, ready, tweak two or three things to be Triples-fit, and you're good to go.

It has struck me that some folks could probably get away with using their Festive Feud teams as a template, remove banned 'mons, and rebuild the missing pieces from there (obviously, if your core involved a Mega, Meowstic, or Talonflame then you can't, but I assume some folks on here tried going off those well-worn paths), save themselves some time.

Last edited:
Oh man. Never played a triple battle but I had a lot of fun with Gen V Pokemon. How much prep work goes into making a viable Triples team? I don't have that much free time to breed and EV train 6 new Pokemon for a metagame I'll likely only play once.
A...sh*t....ton. Especially if you've never played triples before. It's a beast all on its own my friend. Much faster.

Theorymon

Well that depends. If you've played Battle Spot Doubles before, a LOT of the Pokemon you've bred for that are pretty good in Triples, and are probably pretty good in this metagame too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)