Umbreon QC 0/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
[OVERVIEW]
  • A reliable physical wall that counters top threats like Mamoswine, Mega Sharpedo, and Mega Aerodactyl
  • It also provides a number of good supporting moves such as Heal Bell and Wish that are highly coveted by most balance teams and all stall teams
  • The main issue is that it invites extremely powerful Pokemon to either set up on it like Terrakion or just launch strong moves like Primarina
  • Additionally, Umbreon cannot counter everything it wants to both because it cannot use all the utility moves it wants to and because it cannot maximize both defenses
  • Umbreon can still find a solid niche on bulky teams if they can counter the threats Umbreon invites

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect
move 3: Foul Play
move 4: Heal Bell
item: Leftovers
ability: Synchronize / Inner Focus
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Wish keeps Umbreon and its teammates healthy
  • Protect has good synergy with Protect and scouts Choice Pokemon
  • Foul Play is Umbreon's most reliable way of dealing damage and deters most physical set up
  • Heal Bell stops status from crippling Umbreon and its teammates

Set Details
========
  • The EVs and nature maximize Umbreon's physical bulk while also letting it pass sizable Wishes
  • Leftovers gives Umbreon passive recovery and has good synergy with Protect so it often does not need to waste time Wishing
  • Synchronize is the primary ability as it allows Umbreon to reflect status when used with Heal Bell, particularly on Scald burns
  • Inner Focus is a lesser option that allows Umbreon to more reliably beat Mamoswine and Mega Sharpedo

Usage Tips
========
  • Umbreon works very slowly and likes to keep both itself and its team healthy throughout the game, so Wish should be used liberally
  • Ironically Umbreon can pose a significant threat to offensive teams as their Dark resists, such as Krookodile, Hydreigon and Mega Sharpedo, often lose to Foul Play still so Umbreon can play more aggressively against those teams
  • Burn, Poison, and bad Poison should generally be healed as soon as possible, especially if it also heals a teammate
  • Against opposing stall and balance teams, Umbreon often needs to play carefully with Wish and Heal Bell as the PP is rather low and can be drained in stall wars
Team Options
========
  • Umbreon fits best on balance and stall teams because they most appreciate the cleric support Umbreon provides and can counter threats that Umbreon often invites
  • Quagsire and Doublade are good partners because they are reliable counters to the Fighting Pokemon that badly threaten Umbreon
  • A bulky special wall such as Blissey forms a solid defensive core with Umbreon and counters special attackers like Primarina that Umbreon cannot deal with
  • As top hazard users like Tentacruel and Klefki can easily switch into Umbreon, reliable hazard removal like Rapid Spin Tentacruel and Defog Mantine are appreciated
  • Umbreon itself appreciates hazard support because it has relatively low power itself and often relies on passive damage to make its mark
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Specially defensive sets face more competition from Blissey but are also one of the few solid checks to Chandelure, Latias and Latias Mega
  • Moonlight can be used over Wish for instant recovery and freeing up a moveslot in Protect, although it has lower PP and has problems with Sandstream Hippowdon
  • Toxic is a generally useful move, especially for beating Latias Mega, and can be used over Heal Bell if cleric support is not needed
  • Taunt stops some opposing walls and can be used, especially with minor speed investment
Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting Pokemon**: Terrakion, Cobalion, and Lucario all get a Justified boost from Foul Play while the former two also take low damage from it. They all badly threaten Umbreon with Close Combat. Heracross does the same without a Justified boost, although it is usually even more threatening to Umbreon's partners

** Slow Boosting Sweepers**: Most slow boosting sweepers like Snorlax and Suicune can easily shrug off Umbreon's Foul Play and eventually overpower its defenses after getting several boosts

** Fairy Pokemon**: Choice Specs Primarina threatens to instantly KO Umbreon with Moonblast while the defensive Fairies in Sylveon, Florges, and Rest Talk Primarina still do large damage and easily win. Altaria Mega can also set up or 2HKO Umbreon while Nasty Plot Togekiss can easily beat even Inner Focus Umbreon

Last edited:
hey man i'm not sure if this is a mistake but I'm already writing alomomola, i think you meant to say umbreon

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Thanks Nuked for pointing that out, I seriously would have wrote an Alomomola analysis if you didn't...

QC ready. I am supposed to post that right? I haven't done CC for over a year, and not for UU for at least 3 or 4 years. Sorry if it's really bad

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Give some examples of what Foul Play would deter from setting up. Other than that, I really don't have much, since it's a fairly straightforward analysis. Honestly, you probably know more about this Pokemon than I do, so I'd just make sure to flash this out a little more when you write this up after 2 QC checks.

Not sure if Moonlight, Taunt, and Toxic should all be in OO, though. Some of the better ones can be mentioned in the Moves section without actually being slashed on the set, so I'll leave that to your own thoughts. Consider this QC 1/3

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is this updated for USM meta? If so, indicate that in the thread title imo. Also, it'd be at QC 1/3 since Umbreon is still fairly straightforward

e: locking and reassigning

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)