SPOILERS! Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon In-Game Discussion

To be honest, the difficulty is pretty sizeable if you are using in-game caught pokemon and not transferring already 6x31, potentially EVd stuff, maybe without your OT so you ALSO get the bonus experience.
Remember most bosses, totems and basically the entirety of TRR in USUM also are 6x31 with EVs, while you are going to be running with potentially mediocre nature, mediocre moveset and mediocre IV Pokemon caught in game.

If anything I'd think the opposite, USUM looks particularly brutal on someone who isn't actually accustomed to planning teams carefully.
I have no idea how someone inexperienced in pokemon is actually supposed to get past the fire, Electric and Ghost totem battles. They are beastly. Especially with the protect+torment tactic the former 2 use.

(Minor story spoilers)

After catching Blacephalon/Stakataka, is that the last you’ll see of the ultra recon squad? Are they gone?

You can still find them at the Altar of the Sunne/Moone complaining that they fail at training pokemon :P

Necrozma with 60 LV, game-breaking BST and a stat boost is easily a team killer for anyone that doesn't have a dark type or fairy type.
I went with the Topsy Turvy cheese, and I read that other people went with Toxic + chainspam revives, I'm also very curious to see how a potential ACTUAL 10 year old player would manage to beat Necrozma without ... i don't even know, you can't even overlevel since you have not got access to high level areas.

And I won't even get started on TRR episode and a certain Lysandre fighting cat U_U

You can still find them at the Altar of the Sunne/Moone complaining that they fail at training pokemon :P

I went with the Topsy Turvy cheese, and I read that other people went with Toxic + chainspam revives, I'm also very curious to see how a potential ACTUAL 10 year old player would manage to beat Necrozma without ... i don't even know, you can't even overlevel since you have not got access to high level areas.

And I won't even get started on TRR episode and a certain Lysandre fighting cat U_U
Thanks for replying.
I had a Magnezone on my team and it helped a lot, since it can set up light screen and paralyse necrozma while also resisting its moves. I think any steel type should be fine though, as you can set it up to +6 with roto-boosts while using potions. But for an itemless battle or even just a battle without steel types, I think it would be very hard.

For the only hard totem battle I ran into (Mimikyu) I led with a trash Nosepass /w Sturdy and T-Wave'd it off the bat and followed it up with a Sturdy Graveller to break disguise. Then it was easy but it felt a bit cheesy.

(Spoilers)

By the way guys, I don’t know if this is relevant to this thread but what are everybody’s thoughts on the Ultra Ruin?
I can’t see how Guzzlord could have possibly destroyed Hau’oli City with Hala around, so is this an alternate universe where he somehow died (I can imagine Tapu Koko losing to it as it doesn’t learn dazzling gleam by itself)? But it is not necessarily only Guzzlord attacking, it could be a bunch of ultra beasts who overwhelmed the city. The guy in the Guzzlord outfit also says everyone moved to a different planet, which would be very illogical had the other regions been safe, so this seems to suggest that maybe the whole world was attacked by ultra beasts. Also, moving to another planet would require a rocket, which Alola doesn’t have, so maybe everyone was evacuated into an ultra wormhole created by the box legend and that’s what Guzzlord suit guy means by planet? And him saying “Hey! You came back to this planet?!” implies that the main character of this universe is still alive and the fact he doesn’t get surprised at all by the ultra wormhole you created seems to reinforce this ‘main character and box legend evacuates everyone into an ultra wormhole’ theory. Sorry if this is off-topic, if so please tell me where this belongs.

(Spoilers)

By the way guys, I don’t know if this is relevant to this thread but what are everybody’s thoughts on the Ultra Ruin?
I can’t see how Guzzlord could have possibly destroyed Hau’oli City with Hala around, so is this an alternate universe where he somehow died (I can imagine Tapu Koko losing to it as it doesn’t learn dazzling gleam by itself)? But it is not necessarily only Guzzlord attacking, it could be a bunch of ultra beasts who overwhelmed the city. The guy in the Guzzlord outfit also says everyone moved to a different planet, which would be very illogical had the other regions been safe, so this seems to suggest that maybe the whole world was attacked by ultra beasts. Also, moving to another planet would require a rocket, which Alola doesn’t have, so maybe everyone was evacuated into an ultra wormhole created by the box legend and that’s what Guzzlord suit guy means by planet? And him saying “Hey! You came back to this planet?!” implies that the main character of this universe is still alive and the fact he doesn’t get surprised at all by the ultra wormhole you created seems to reinforce this ‘main character and box legend evacuates everyone into an ultra wormhole’ theory. Sorry if this is off-topic, if so please tell me where this belongs.
i saw that video and if you talk to the guy on your way out he's all like "Mr. Glutton seems to like you! You're an interesting person"
I don't think the world was attacked by UBs in that dimension at all, i think it just fell into disarray. Considering the space/hazmat suit is based on Guzzlord, I actually kind of wonder if Guzzlord was man made to clean up waste. Think more Wall-E than War of the Worlds, perhaps.

Also the 'You' probably does not mean you came back. He was surprised another person was here, in general.

My way of dealing it is with Zoroark and fish out it's Photon Geyser by mimicking as Hawlucha, but I got too greedy and thought a single 1+ Z foul play can get em. Then I got myself a hands-on experience of being hit by nukes :/ (though I still got him). Seriously, had I not have Zoroark and the AI isn't crap I can't get through it.

Remember guzzlord being alien to OUR dimension? Probably instead it is a native (or a man made species or mutant species) in the messed up Alola region designed to clean up the mess after the mega explosion that forced out everybody.

Decided to try my Sun team out with some minor changes. Endgame will at least have Decid/Muk/Gigalith/Vikavolt.

Totems haven't been too bad; the lack of constant summoning help makes them way easier in my opinion. Gumshoos was easy even without Hawlucha, and Water totem was a good surprise, but Aurora Beam made me a little annoyed thinking I could bring in Dartix easily. Fire was not bad other than Torment/Protect shenanigans. Luckily Gyarados is still broken. Grass was kind of a pushover; I brought a Fletchinder with Flame Body (procced on T1) but I still had to switch around a lot thanks to Comfey increasing its defense.

So I got my game today and so far I'm liking the polish the game had, or the Ultra Recon Squad's awkward way to do the alolan salute.

Unfortunately, Lillie seems to have been unchanged so far, which was what I feared...

This is how my team goes right now, with the Jangmo-o breedject I initially planned on using. I stopped before taking Nebby out of Melemele Meadows.

i saw that video and if you talk to the guy on your way out he's all like "Mr. Glutton seems to like you! You're an interesting person"
I don't think the world was attacked by UBs in that dimension at all, i think it just fell into disarray. Considering the space/hazmat suit is based on Guzzlord, I actually kind of wonder if Guzzlord was man made to clean up waste. Think more Wall-E than War of the Worlds, perhaps.

Also the 'You' probably does not mean you came back. He was surprised another person was here, in general.
Yeah, it was wrong of me to assume Guzzlord was some sort of bad guy. It even says that it is known as the ‘junkivore pokemon’. And when I said ‘main character of this universe’, I meant the main character of the ‘parallel universe’ USUM, the one in the ultra ruins. (I think you know, but in case you don’t what I originally meant is he mistakes you for the protagonist of this parallel universe)

Last edited:
So I got my game today and so far I'm liking the polish the game had, or the Ultra Recon Squad's awkward way to do the alolan salute.

Unfortunately, Lillie seems to have been unchanged so far, which was what I feared...
The differences in plot don't pick up until a bit later in the game. The first part of the game is kept almost identical to SM, aside from the Recon squad intervening, probably intentionally on the design part in order to strengthen the fact that it's the same starting situation of SM, but events take a different turn and stuff goes in different way.

Yeah, it was wrong of me to assume Guzzlord was some sort of bad guy. It even says that it is known as the ‘junkivore pokemon’. And when I said ‘main character of this universe’, I meant the main character of the ‘parallel universe’ USUM, the one in the ultra ruins. (I think you know, but in case you don’t what I originally meant is he mistakes you for the protagonist of this parallel universe)
Right no I got that, my point remains though: the use of "What are you doing here" is meant to be a general thing you'd say to anyone in this situation. A general "you" and not "What are you doing here?" where the "you" is someone familiar.

I found the first very tiny detail the game has that I really liked: the interactive book found in Game Freak's office.

Perhaps because it's about "how to become a videogame designer" which is what I eventually want to be one day, and how it tells the different ways one can help in making a videogame...

... or perhaps it's because every ending is a happy ending, even if the story ends up with you taking on a different profession than intended

I actually struggled against the Totem Araquanid lol, it can take weak super-effective STABs pretty easily, and rain-boosted Water Bubble-boosted STABs are unfair at this point, 2HKOing everything that doesn't resist Water (and it has Aurora Beam for most that do. Protip: Don't use Dartrix here). It's nice to see that at least a few more bosses are going to have Speed boosts than before. I also liked the huge bait and switch with Wishiwashi for those of us who played Sun or Moon, and Lana lampshading it.

Totem Araquanid & Totem Marowak were nightmares to fight. Marowak is a terror even if you steal the Thick Club. I had issues with Wishiwashi & Salazzle in SM, but these 2 really outshine their SM counterparts.

Also my dusk lycanroc finally happened and i did not realize it got Thrash at evolution. I figured it would have learned Accelrock & Counter, not that I would have to wait for the end game to relearn them...

Totem Araquanid & Totem Marowak were nightmares to fight. Marowak is a terror even if you steal the Thick Club. I had issues with Wishiwashi & Salazzle in SM, but these 2 really outshine their SM counterparts.
Absolutely. Arbok was the star of my team during both fights even though I had to shuffle for several Intimidate procs because even in -2 they hit really hard.

And to make some matters worse, Marowak can summon Salazzle who can go for a boosted Venoshock.

Absolutely. Arbok was the star of my team during both fights even though I had to shuffle for several Intimidate procs because even in -2 they hit really hard.

And to make some matters worse, Marowak can summon Salazzle who can go for a boosted Venoshock.
And Marowak has Hex!

Also my dusk lycanroc finally happened and i did not realize it got Thrash at evolution. I figured it would have learned Accelrock & Counter, not that I would have to wait for the end game to relearn them...
Tell me about it, I was so demoralized when it learned Thrash leveling.

Though, Thrash does get TC boost, and demolishes things either ways, I suppose. With Lycandusk speed tier, you tend to outspeed almost everything either ways.

I definitely think they're stronger but my team could deal with them quite well.

Mimikyu though is still a pain (especially leech lifing my jynx XD).

i was very very sad when I sent Malamar to finish off 25% hp mimikyu and it *ONESHOT* malamar and healed back to full :(
(reiterating on omnipresence of bug and dark coverage everywhere ._. )

i was very very sad when I sent Malamar to finish off 25% hp mimikyu and it *ONESHOT* malamar and healed back to full :(
(reiterating on omnipresence of bug and dark coverage everywhere ._. )
out of curiosity why would you do that even if it didn't have Leech Life
Mimikyu has Play Rough

Really Malamar has it rough throughout the game. I haven't found Inkay dead weight thus far but it is...difficult. I'm starting to see why Foul Play is given at level 8.

I was assuming PR would not be a 1hko and meanwhile I'd have been able to dent it with FP but alas...

As I mentioned earlier, I have the suspect that the near omnipresent bug coverage was put in specifically due to the early Inkay available; with spam of debuffs being one of the most common AI strategies in USUM, it'd have been possible to just overlevel Malamar and just roll over everything with Topsy Turvy if they did not have something in place to prevent that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)