Not open for further replies.

The Gunner

formerly Enzo Gorlami
is a Tiering Contributor
Approved by Sweep
Based on other Player of the Week threads
Co-hosted by Arii Stella

Art by NicoReaper

Welcome everyone to Ubers Player of the Week! This'll be a weekly project where Arii Stella & I alternatively interview well known players every week to try to get to know them better. If anyone has suggestions on who we should interview next, feel free to shoot Arii / me a PM. Anyways, lets get to it!

Lacus Clyne
Favorite Pokemon(s):
Mewtwo

Most Known For:
Winner of ORAS Ubers Winter Seasonal
Tell us a little about yourself.

I am a 20 year old engineering student; my hobbies are playing Pokémon and other strategic games like Fire Emblem.

How did you come up with the name 'Lacus Clyne'?

Well Lacus Clyne is the name of an Anime character from Mobile Suit Gundam Seed. Back when I was a bit younger, I used to watch many Animes and I was simply amazed about the Lacus Clyne character and her ambitions. I literally had no idea what to use as my alt name when I started with Pokémon, so I picked her name. People call me just Lacus though.

How and when did you get in Ubers?

I started with Ubers back in 2013. That's also the same year when I first joined a Pokémon server. When logged in, I met this user named 'Imagend', and I was really interested in the way he fought his battles. He peaked so many ladders, and was well known in the German community, which is why I asked him to tutor me. I also began picking up some anticipation techniques and other stuff that which enhanced my skill as a player. After a while, I realized that I was constantly winning my battles in Ubers, as opposed to the other tiers I've played, which is also the reason why I mainly focused on Ubers only and ignored every other tier.

What is your favorite generation in Ubers, and why?

My favorite generation is definitely Gen 6 XY Ubers. I've always enjoyed laddering with friends and building teams. The addition of Defog in the metagame was really healthy for the tier since everyone used to rely on Magic Bounce or simply had to leave the hazards on their field back in BW2. XY Ubers had so much stuff to uncover, since everyone was really new to that tier. It was always really cool when someone innovated new stuff which made everything a bit more interesting.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?

In XY, I really loved Semi-Stall. Analyzing your opponent's playing habits while waiting for the perfect chance to strike was always the stuff that made the game really enjoyable. I used to spam a team which I named 'Remastered'; it was really known on ladder.
In ORAS, I tend to use more offensive teams. Although, I would say that Balance is probably my favourite playstyle in ORAS. It's just annoying that there are so many strong threats out there which limit teambuilding.

Since you're coming off a big tournament win, can you tell us how you prepared for big matches and what was your thought process behind the teams you elected?

I don't mentally prepare for anything. When the battle is about to start, I just tell SparksBlade to shut up and get right into the business. Jokes aside, I just keep a piece of paper and a pen ready, open the Pokémon calculator, play my favourite music and think rationally. In big tournaments, I like to double check everything which is why the piece of paper can come handy. I'll just write everything down and see how the situation goes on while considering the stuff I wrote down.
There isn't a big thought process behind the teams I elect, but I prefere to built new teams whenever I play in an important match. That reduces the chances of getting counter-teamed. Also shoutouts to sin and victimization fom teambuilding with me for the seasonal finals.

What was the most memorable moment of your Winter Seasonal run?

The most memorable moment of my seasonal run was when I predicted Lord Outrage in game 2 from our second BO3; no one expected me to stay in with Rayquaza and click Dragon Ascent five times in a row. To be fair, I had a Plan B in case something went wrong. The worst moment of my seasonal run also happened against Lord Outrage in game 3 from our first BO3, where, I misclicked my Wish from Jirachi against his Xerneas. I could've regained some health with the combination of Protect + Wish before finishing that Xerneas off, and had a chance to win. Anyways, our series was overall the best series I've ever had and we are also good friends since 2014 so I wasn't really mad when I lost.

What are you most looking forward to in gen 7, Pokemon Sun & Moon?

I want more checks against the current Ubers titans. Also balancing the tier would also be great since literally everyone is running offense. I'm also looking forward to some new moves; a recovery move for steel types would be awesome. Can't wait for Solgaleo and Magiana. Let's see if they can function as our new Xerneas check.

Who are some of your favorite people in the Smogon/Ubers community?

Well my idol was Imagend, but there are obviously some other people I find really interesting. Astounded is in my opinion one of the best players out there and it's always fun to watch his replays and predict what's going to happen. Although we don't really know each other, I really like the way Kebabe fights. He just uses stuff he likes and doesn't give a damn what everyone thinks. There is also ShadowQuinn; he has really evolved as a player. I still remember when he always annoyed me and sent me challenges two years ago only. James Jimmy and Albert are also quite skilled. The funniest people are hyw and Sparksblade.

If you could change one thing in Ubers, what would it be?

There is actually nothing I want to change. Ubers is playable and that's the most important thing. We should only change something when we really need to; Mega Rayquaza is the best example. It was way too broken and everyone knew, hence it was banned. Some Ubers generations are more fun and some are not really enjoyable, that's quite normal.

Favorite UPL/Seasonal/Ubers Open game(s)?

This is my favourite game from Ubers Winter Seasonal, game three of my second set vs Lord Outrage in the grand finals.

I really liked all the plays we made and he predicted me on some turns. Turn 2, he stayed in on my Darkrai, even though I was dead sure that he wanted to switch out since he needed that Landorus-T for my Deoxys-A, albeit, he stayed in and predicted my Thunder which was really amazing. That was really risky on his part though. Another predict which happened was the switch into Arceus. I guess he predicted an Icy Wind since I revealed that set in an earlier game but instead he got 2HKO by Focus Blast. I didn't Mega Evolve Gengar, since it was the only Pokemon immune to ground moves and that forced him to play a bit more carefully with his Primal-Groudon and Landorus-T. The game changing point was when I took out his Primal-Groudon with the combination of Taunt and Destiny Bond. I guess no one really expected me to use non-protect Mega-Gengar, but people use Adamant Arceus nowadays so I had no real reason to use Protect. At that point, it was just me waiting again for Deoxys-A to sweep. After he let his Landorus-T get weakened it was pretty much game.​

Do you have any tips for newer players trying to establish themselves in the community?

Well, some people can easily immerse themselves into the community, while other people struggle to fall in. My advice is to try the tutor program on Smogon. You could try to learn from a veteran or use the ladder for some experience. You can also go ahead and ask the Ubers auth. I'm sure that they will help newer players. Well every person has their own ways to get known in the Ubers scene.

Finally, can you provide us a team with a brief explanation on how it works?

Dialga @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 SpD / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Rayquaza @ Choice Band
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Waterfall
- V-create

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Facade
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

Arceus @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Dark Void
- Thunder

Albert and I built this team for my Seasonal run. The double dragon core is known for its monstrous power and ablility to break down walls quite easily. Combine this with stealth rocks, and there shouldn't be a defensive obstacle you can't deal with. Darkrai is there for some speed control and is also able to put something to sleep which reduces the offensive pressure from your opponent. Arceus is a strong revenge killer and cleaner if possible, while Primal-Groudon is just mandatory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big thanks to Lacus for taking out time to complete this interview.
Make sure you ask her any (respectful) questions below! :toast:

Last edited:

BIG G CHOPPA

Banned deucer.
What are your thoughts on a Primal Groudon suspect (not saying it will happen but hypothetically if it supposedly happens), how would you react and such?

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Do you think Stall needs to develop more In Ubers, will every second team is based offensive?

Have you ever built :-
A)Tyranitar team
2)Giratina-a
3)Shaymin/Zekrom team
Please write down your experiences with those pokemons(If you actually made those kind of teams).

After winning Ubers Winter Seasonal, did anything changed?

Is there any pokemon, that you think is wrongly ranked in the viability rankings?

What was the most challenging mon you used in ubers?

Finally,if gunner and lord outrage are hanging on a cliff, you have a chance to save one, who is that?

Thank you

Edit:Can you rate this team?
Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 48 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide

Latias @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 HP / 120 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Grass Knot

Arceus @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 132 HP / 28 Atk / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Rash Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Heat Wave

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Return
- Earthquake

Mewtwo @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

I am still trying to learn ubers, so feel free to comment on it.

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Finally,if gunner and lord outrage are hanging on a cliff, you have a chance to save one, who is that?
she'll just walk away lol

edit: question
since english isn't your first language, when you get mad naturally it's in german. how hard is it to compose self and translate insults to english to get a result like
★Lacus Clyne: Go into my stomach so I can poop you out and don't get on my nerves anymore.
★Lacus Clyne: Hate kids.
also how do you manage to use almost proper english with periods and cap'ing the first letter in such cases

What is your opinion about Mega Beedrill in the Omega Rubin Alpha Saphir Ubers Metagame?

Could you rate my Mega Beedrill team?
Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Toxic Spikes
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 32 Def / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Aromatherapy

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 48 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Fire Punch
- Precipice Blades

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Scald
- Roar
- Ice Beam

Favorite Haftbefehl song?

On a scale from 1-10 how cute is Wings of Night ?

do you love me

thoughts on the current oras ubers meta? if you could change anything, what would it be?

Exiline

Banned deucer.
is a Past SCL Championis a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
If you could ban darkrai aka the absolute cancer, would you ban it ?
opinion on kartofellsalat ?

when will u stop calling me fucking albert?
why do ur periods never end?
why do u keep leaving fc?
shoutouts draciel y/n?
m/f/k bat f8 draciel
from a threat level perspective rate mence/xern/ek/rai/pdon/
do u share my belief that every deo s must run spikes?or r u still a fan of coat

thx a lot for helping me keep po subforums alive and for asking me 2 join the mute team and always having faith in the way i see this game even though it's been years since i quit tours.u'r a vry solid player and will def win many more tours
gl fam it's been a pleasure knowing u

Lacus Clyne

Given-Taken
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
What are your thoughts on a Primal Groudon suspect (not saying it will happen but hypothetically if it supposedly happens), how would you react and such?
We had a huge discussion on Pokémon Online about a potential Orbs ban. It would be really interesting to see how the meta is changing since it will make a lot of stuff viable again. Sub HC Zekrom or Stalltwo are the best examples. Well Gen 7 is coming out soon anyways so its fine leaving ORAS like it is.

Do you think Stall needs to develop more In Ubers, will every second team is based offensive?

Have you ever built :-
A)Tyranitar team
2)Giratina-a
3)Shaymin/Zekrom team
Please write down your experiences with those pokemons(If you actually made those kind of teams).

After winning Ubers Winter Seasonal, did anything changed?

Is there any pokemon, that you think is wrongly ranked in the viability rankings?

What was the most challenging mon you used in ubers?

Well Stall can't develop in ORAS anymore and yeah I am sure that every second team will be some HO team.

Yes I created a team with Mega-Tyranitar way back in 2015. Mega-Tyranitar worked really well when ORAS was still undeveloped. It doesn't work anymore though.

I never used Giratina-A in ORAS. Back in XY it was part in my Remastered team though. I was trying to find out how to improve that team and Giratina-A sadly didn't help at all.

Shaymin is way too fragile and gets eliminated by almost every priority move. We also shouldn't forget that most Pokémon are faster in the current meta. It could work against stall but who is using stall nowadays...

I built a team with Zekrom for Wings of Night when he had to battle for MUTE. Sadly that Zekrom was blind like a bat and missed his Bolt Strike. I think I will stay away from Zekrom in ORAS.

After winning SSNL nothing changed at all. I just kept enjoying Pokémon and talking to my friends in private channels.

The most challenging Pokémon was definitely Shedinja. I will never use it again.

I would save Rohan. Arch always said that he is some god if I remember correctly. Perfect time to prove if he can survive like a god.

Send me a PM and I will rate you team but its quite obvious that the team is really Darkrai weak.

since english isn't your first language, when you get mad naturally it's in german. how hard is it to compose self and translate insults to english to get a result like
★Lacus Clyne: Go into my stomach so I can poop you out and don't get on my nerves anymore.
also how do you manage to use almost proper english with periods and cap'ing the first letter in such cases
I absolutely hate it when people insult me for no reason. I don't think at all when I am getting mad at them and just type the stuff that is currently on my mind. Normally I say sorry after insulting them but not to this guy. He was a complete idiot.

I don't know to be honest. People say its the Lance effect. haha ^^

What is your opinion about Mega Beedrill in the Omega Rubin Alpha Saphir Ubers Metagame?

Favorite Haftbefehl song?

On a scale from 1-10 how cute is Wings of Night ?
It sucks. Well I lost against it once so uhh yeah... fuck my life.

German rap is the worst thing ever. Kollegah is really skilled though. I really liked his song Genocid.

Wings of Night is obviously the best bench warmer ever and one of the cutest things his mother has ever created! He came this far only to keep our benchplace warm and gets the deserved 10.

Favorite Fire Emblem game and why?
Thats a really hard question actually but if I had to pick one it would be Fire Emblem: Awakening. I just like the story plot and the characters. The conversations between every characters are also really enjoyable and we shouldn't forget about the alternative ending with all the childrens. I invested 300 hours into my team and that also shows how much I like this game.

hi Lacus ('v' )

y u no that XY team you used a lot for the sample team? :S
Hey there. :]
Well I was really shy back in 2014 and didn't speak with people at all, hence I didn't post anything here in forums. People still used my team on ladder. So I guess putting it into the sample team section wasn't even neccesary.

Name ur 3 favorite anime characters n_n
You are such a cruel person! Why do you have to limit it to three characters. :[
Well if I had to pick only three I would choose Johann Liebert from Monster, Rin Tohsaka and Illyasviel from the Fate franchise.

Lacus Clyne What is your opinion on Kabutops in the XY Ubers metagame? Would you say that it's a tour viable pokemon?
I hate you and I will get my revenge. :[

do you love me

thoughts on the current oras ubers meta? if you could change anything, what would it be?
Of course I love you!

Ehm... I already answered that question in the interview. haha ^^

If you could ban darkrai aka the absolute cancer, would you ban it ?
opinion on kartofellsalat ?
Probably not. Just prepare something that can revenge kill it.

I eat Kartoffelsalat whenever I am having a BBQ. Love it!

when will u stop calling me fucking albert?
why do ur periods never end?
why do u keep leaving fc?
shoutouts draciel y/n?
m/f/k bat f8 draciel
from a threat level perspective rate mence/xern/ek/rai/pdon/
do u share my belief that every deo s must run spikes?or r u still a fan of coat

thx a lot for helping me keep po subforums alive and for asking me 2 join the mute team and always having faith in the way i see this game even though it's been years since i quit tours.u'r a vry solid player and will def win many more tours
gl fam it's been a pleasure knowing u
It's your fault for being smart and winning that national math contest you nerd.

Ehh wut?

Well sometimes there are way too many virgins in that channel.

Yeah. Love Draciel RC. He and SparksBlade are the best people from india.

Marry Draciel. Fuck Fate. Kill Batman.

Primal-Groudon -> Xerneas -> Mega-Salamence -> E-Killer -> Darkrai

I don't use Deoxys-S at all but I would also probably use Spikes instead of Magic Coat.

Yeah I am also glad that we met. Now go outside, get rid of you virginity, make them babies poopin and live an awesome live. :]

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Yeah I am also glad that we met. Now go outside, get rid of you virginity, make them babies poopin and live an awesome live. :]

Neo

Eyes Closed
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi Lacus! you're one of my fav people to chat with regarding anime and other stuff. It's also fun to calm you down on skype when you get mad :]

Time for some questions:

1) Favorite food joint? Most tasty thing you've eaten?
2) Top 3 favorite singers/bands.
3) What are your goals for the next couple of years?
4) What's your favorite holiday destination?
5) Top 5 anime you've seen so far.
6) If you could ban 1 pokemon from any tier, what would it be?
7) Favorite and least favorite pokemon: both competitively and aesthetically.

:]

Lacus Clyne

Given-Taken
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hi Lacus! you're one of my fav people to chat with regarding anime and other stuff. It's also fun to calm you down on skype when you get mad :]

Time for some questions:

1) Favorite food joint? Most tasty thing you've eaten?
2) Top 3 favorite singers/bands.
3) What are your goals for the next couple of years?
4) What's your favorite holiday destination?
5) Top 5 anime you've seen so far.
6) If you could ban 1 pokemon from any tier, what would it be?
7) Favorite and least favorite pokemon: both competitively and aesthetically.

:]
I don't really got a favourite food joint but I really like kebab. Duck with rice and some delicious sauce is probably my favourite dish.

Chris Brown, Kid Ink and Justin Bieber Timberlake

Hmm... I don't know to be honest. I almost got everything I wanted.

Italy! The beach was so sunny and beautiful. No offense but there were way too many thieves though.

Death Note, Monster, Psycho Pass, Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Usu and Durarara

I would ban Machoke from PU.

My favourite Pokémon will always be Mewtwo and my least favourite Pokémon is probably Mew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)