SM OU Trying Hard

So Kartana is probably my favorite Pokémon of this gen. I’ve always been a sucker for the glass cannons. I’ve been building teams around it lately. I feel like i’m struggling though, and I can’t tell if it’s just me unable to play well or the team. Any input is appreciated.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

My team is actually built around taking out Kartana’s checks and counters for a late game sweep. But Kartana can weaken it’s own counters with a knock off early game too. Kartana’s coverage and ability allow it to roll through teams late game when the right counter to the right move is gone. Kartana also acts as an offensive check to fast, frail pokemon. I can struggle sometimes with Zam, Gren, and Lele, but Kartana can threaten them out if brought in on a predicted switch, or revenge KO’ing.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Another fast, frail sweeper meant for late game, with early game utility. Spikes go up asap. Gren can threaten the psychic types that my team can sometimes struggle with, such as Lele. Greninja and Kartana share a common foe in bulky grass types, and can weaken counters for each other. Kartana takes care of bulky waters for Greninja, while Gren threatens fire types for Kartana.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 68 Def / 64 SpA / 12 SpD / 32 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

This Tyranitar is the bulkiest I’ve ever run one, and it really helps out. The extra bulk and typing really balance out the defensive coverage of my team. Stealth rock gives room for Lando-T to run proper coverage. Ice beam is for Garchomp, Gliscor, and Lando-T. All three of which think they can stay in on T-Tar and earthquake. Stone edge is for the flying types (Zapdos) Kartana struggles to handle. Fire punch is for ferro and scizor, and steel types in general.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

Here is my special wall. Toxapex does what Toxapex does and walls most of the tier of lacking proper coverage. Toxic + Recover stall works great on lots of pokemon. The steel and poison types that don’t mind risk a burn, or are covered by other mons on the team. Haze for the set up mons. Two flying types cover pex’s ground weakness, two dark types cover the psychic weakness, and one ground type plus resists for electric.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fly

Lando is the breaker of the team. Swords dance allows it to break though it’s normal checks. Z fly is mainly for the grass types that this team can really struggle with, namely venusaur and bulu, but can nuke anything unresisted. Stone edge for the flyers, and good coverage in general with earthquake. Earthquake covers the steel types like mawile and magearna.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Zapdos rounds out the defensive coverage of the team. Zapdos specifically walls a few of the Pokémon that Kartana struggles with. Like venusaur, scizor, and celesteela. Pressure stalling them out of leech seed or their recovery options. Discharge can get a nice paralyze when i’m lucky, and heatwave for the steel types. Hazard control is mandatory on a team, and Zapdos defogs well, again leaving lando free to run coverage.

All in all I feel like it’s a pretty good team, if not a little prediction heavy at times.
I can struggle with ice types, particularly ones that can hurt toxapex like mamoswine or kyurem black with fusion bolt. But Kartana can threaten or revenge kill those mons when necessary.

Special attackers with coverage for toxapex can be troublesome too, although I have option for switch ins (again prediction reliant) or revenge killing.

When playing, I don’t notice any major gaps in coverage offensively. Besides maybe only one ground type attack.
Please feel free to offer any advice or changes.

Hi ahbelew,

To start off I would like to look at your Tyranitar set. It has a very busy EV spread and I think that this set would be a little more efficient.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 64 SpA / 120 SpD
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

There is a slight loss in speed so you will not be able to outspeed base Scizor or Pelipper sets but Scizor will most likely Bullet Punch anyways and being slower than Pelipper ensures that Sand will go up over Rain. This spread keeps Mega Tyranitar at the same Special Defense stat, but the attack stat is fifteen points higher.
If Speed is really important to you though, you could also run this set. However, it sacrifices the special attacking option to better utilize Mega Tyranitar's monstrous attack stat.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Atk / 68 Def / 120 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

72+ Atk Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 244 HP / 44 Def Gliscor: 260-308 (73.8 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
-1 72+ Atk Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 68 Def Landorus-Therian: 220-260 (68.9 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As you can see, Ice Punch will still do a great amount of damage to Gliscor and Landorus.

Now on to Toxapex. You mentioned that you have to make a lot of predictions with this team. By switching Toxic to Toxic Spikes, you are better able to punish switch-ins throughout the game to minimize your losses if you make an incorrect prediction.

Landorus is also missing 4 evs.

I hope this post helped and good luck with the team!

greetings, ahbelew!

I really like the foundation of Kartana and Ash-Greninja on balance, so I decided to give my own twist to it and hopefully fix an issue or two! Of course, covering everything is nigh impossible, but I tried my best to patch the few holes I could find with your team. Without further ado, here are my proposed changes:

Major Changes
  • Mega Tyranitar > Magearna
    • Code:
      Magearna @ Fairium Z
      Ability: Soul-Heart
      EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 148 SpD / 84 Spe
      Calm Nature
      - Fleur Cannon
      - Thunderbolt
      - Calm Mind
      - Pain Split
      • Enough Defense to avoid a OHKO from Jolly Landorus-T's Earthquake at full.
      • Enough Speed to outrun uninvested Tapu Bulu and Mega Scizor.
      • The remainder of EVs pooled into HP and Special Defense.
    • First and foremost, having a specially defensive Steel-type is something every single team should pack, and this one is no exception. Your team really struggles against the likes of Tapu Lele, Mega Alakazam, and opposing Magearna, thus a Magearna of your own helps with all of these threats and also guarantees a far better matchup against stall teams, as via Pain Split it can overcome Chansey this way. While with the lack of Mega Tyranitar your team forfeits Stealth Rock and a Heatran check, these will be covered later on.
  • Landorus-T > Gliscor
    • Code:
      Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
      Ability: Poison Heal
      EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 100 SpD / 112 Spe
      Jolly Nature
      - Stealth Rock
      - Earthquake
      - Toxic
      - Roost
      • Enough HP to hit a Poison Heal number.
      • Enough Defense to stomach Play Rough into Sucker Punch from Mega Mawile at full.
      • Enough Speed to outrun Timid Heatran.
      • The remainder of EVs pooled into Special Defense.
    • Now comes the need of a Stealth Rocker and a Heatran check and Gliscor perfectly fits the bill, while improving even a bit more of the Mega Mawile matchup in the process. Sure, you're losing a wallbreaker with this change, but between Kartana, Ash-Greninja, and Magearna, you should be fine.

Minor Changes
  • Pressure —> Static
    • Code:
      Zapdos @ Leftovers
      Ability: Static
      Bold Nature
      - Discharge
      - Roost
      - Heat Wave
      - Defog
      • No alterations.
    • Lastly, Static Zapdos is the preferred option on this team, as you can fish for paralyses against Mega Medicham to eventually beat it one-on-one, most of the time. Just get Zapdos in on a High Jump Kick and keep Roosting until they get paralysed.

So these are my suggestions for your team! I hope you liked :)

Code:
Zapdos @ Leftovers  
Ability: Static  
Bold Nature  
- Discharge  
- Roost  
- Heat Wave  
- Defog  

Kartana @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Beast Boost  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Leaf Blade  
- Sacred Sword  
- Smart Strike  
- Knock Off  

Magearna @ Fairium Z  
Ability: Soul-Heart  
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 148 SpD / 84 Spe  
Calm Nature  
- Fleur Cannon  
- Thunderbolt  
- Calm Mind  
- Pain Split  

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb  
Ability: Poison Heal  
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 100 SpD / 112 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Stealth Rock  
- Earthquake  
- Toxic  
- Roost  

Toxapex @ Black Sludge  
Ability: Regenerator  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD  
Calm Nature  
- Scald  
- Haze  
- Recover  
- Toxic  

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs  
Ability: Battle Bond  
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Hydro Pump  
- Dark Pulse  
- Water Shuriken  
- Spikes

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)