Trends in stats by Typing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading through the CAP stat limitations discussion, but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I wanted to know if a trend was ever found among the different types regarding their stats? I've noticed entire types have certain trends to their stats and BST totals.

For example, no BUG type has a base HP over 86, but they have a trend of being somewhat fast, even those with a high defensive/spdefensive stat{Ledian, Durant}, almost as if Gamefreak is saying "Bugs have hard shells and are fast because they crawl/fly, but have low vitality, so lets give them stats that reflect this."

Another example, all FE Fighting type pokemon have an attack stat above 90, with the exception of Keldeo(Medicham's ability makes their 60 base attack astronomical). I noticed this when I was trying to hypothesize a female Machamp that actually looks female shaped, with an inverted Att/SpAtt, to make use of No Guard with stuff like Blizz, FireBlast, and so on. GF probably didn't do it because it's against some kind of rule they set for fighting type? Even fighting types with somewhat decent special attack still have to have high attack, almost like its a requirement for their type?

An example that is quite glaring to me, is that ALL Dragons have high BST? Initially, I was like "Isn't this unfair to other pokes?" but then I realized that Dragons are suppose to represent a type that is "above average in everything". They have good speed, good bulk, while STILL managing to have good attack stats, something some other types WISH they had. They can outspeed and KO a lot of the other types, AND are resistant to the elemental types save ICE type, representing their weakness to cold.

A new realization about the Dragons is that the 3 stage evo Dragons {Dragonite, Salamence, Haxorus, Garchomp, etc.} all received this treatment, while more obscure dragons like Drudiggons are weaker variants. It's almost as if GameFreak is saying "Dragons are strong{high Att}, breathe fire{high SpAtt}, have hard scales{good bulk}, have wings{above average speed}", thus, their BST and stats represent this.

Another trend that was more apparent in the earlier gens were PSYCHIC types having the best SpAtt while maintaining the highest speeds and having very useful moves to go along with their Special Sweepiness {Recover, Hypnosis}. And ROCK types having poor speed, having VERY high defense, and almost always abysmal SpDef {Golem, Rhydon, etc.}

The question is, is their a stat rule GameFreak is abiding by per type? And can it be figured out with a formula using the trends found among the pokemon within a certain type? Would this help CAP in determining stat limitations per typing? The process made for determining a CAP is interesting, I was hoping to find a section for each types stats limitations. I see there is stuff already on how moves are determined by type.

There is most likely nothing to be calculated, but observations can be made regarding certain stats and types as you have pointed out.

I imagine GF's thought process works like this: X type should have X stat be above a specific threshold in reference to that type's IRL properties, but not so high that X type becomes overpowered.
Then Y type must have Y stat that references its properties IRL as well, but it must be balanced as to not be vastly better than X type.
Types are probably created on a "high then low" basis where an initial type is proposed with a stat greater than a certain threshold, and then a new type is created where they don't want to exceed the upper bound stat of the initial type with any stat attributed to the new type.

This actually contributes to the reality that any given type can have more than one common characteristic throughout its pokemon. You can say that "well, rocks are sturdy so they should have high defenses", but then they could be too hard to take down with other types based on the "common ground" stat theory that I just proposed, so that would explain why Rock types generally have low Special Defense and don't have very high HP.

I suppose you could attempt to calculate an average base stat for the signature stat(s) of each type for all stages of evolution, but that would be a pain in the ass and probably not accomplish much.

If you want to apply this idea of stat limitation to CAP, which I think is a good idea, then maybe you should dig through and find the thresholds for signature stat(s) of each type for all FE and single stage pokemon of each type, barring outliers.

Just a heads up, most outliers will probably come in the form of dual-typed pokemon that only conform to the trends of one of their types.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that stats also have to be determined based on the moves that will be created for a specific type and what kind of purpose that type is meant to serve.

2nd EDIT: By finding thresholds I mean like the "FE fighting types having Attack of at least 90" observation that you made.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly! Although, I don't have the mathematical skills necessary to come up with an equation to find out the trends I observed and reversing it into a formula that can be used to create new pokemon with stats that fit their typing. It be great if GameFreak itself released a program or game where you can make your own pokemon, and in it, you could see the stat and movepool limitations for every type.

I remember seeing a discussion somewhere around here that the pokemon's shape adds to its movepool, for example, having arms allows it to learn the elemental punches. Theres some other stuff I was wondering about, like how grass type appears to have horrible defensive and offensive advantages, but perhaps this was done to balance out the fact it has the most status moves as a type, as well as the most accurate sleep inducing move.

I also thought for a while, if a pokemon having a x4 weakness to things like Ice, Fighting, and Fire, is it the reason for boosting their BST? Like what can be observed with the Dragons, Scizor, weather inducers like Tyranitar and Abomasnow. And having x4 weakness to Rock doesn't count for anything in boosting your stats as can be seen with various bug and firemons with dual types giving them this achille's heel to rocks{since Rock types as a whole don't have stellar stats or BSTs} . Could it be thats why Rock moves have inexplicably poor accuracy? To make up for the ubiquitous x4 weakness to it?

Also, as you mentioned, it appears that dual types will take some stat trends from their second typing, some do appear to be outright hybrids in the way their stats are set.

Last edited:
Is this even the right place to discuss this? CAP Pokémon are designed solely by competetive merit (with a few flavor things that don't get in the way of it), not by such stat trends or what would look to be reasonable. This is the reason there's a tiny shrimp with over 150 base HP.

Orange Islands may be the right place to talk about it, though.

I think they can still be competitive while following the stat rules placed on their typing. Even in typings with FE pokemon that have horrible BST{Beedrill, Dustox}, there are still individuals, even those of pure typing, with BST and stat spreads that make them competitive{Accelgor}.

I just think it be neat to find out what stat rules and trends are placed on each typing by analyzing all the FE pokemon's stat spreads within that typing, as GoldNinja mentioned. Perhaps there is an individual here that would be able to accomplish this or would be interested in exploring this further for CAP purposes?

Strangely enough, Krilowatt appears to be following the rules of both its typing, whether it was intentional or not. Water types have many non-legendary FE pokemon with base HPs well above 110. Although, if theres a base shaped limitation, maybe it breaks that rule, but all the MEW shaped pokemon all have base HPs of 100, higher than the average poke, despite their small size.

I don't think these new findings should be used to lower BST's or limit stat spreads, but perhaps should be considered as Flavor to add to stats, just like there is Flavor for moves, BUT also set a rule so as to not give the Flavor priority over having competitive stats or if it interferes with the overall goal of the CAP pokemon's viability in the meta-game.

I think it would be interesting to dwelve into this matter nevertheless for CAP purposes. But I will also post in OI, but to discuss the non-changeable aspects of it, such as the relation of a typings weaknesses to its types moveset. Which I mentioned a bit of.

But what were they on when they first made Sneasel? A dual special-typed mon with a physical attacker spread, or Flareon as a more extreme case (equal 2nd atk at the time with special typing) perhaps the stat designers weren't collaborating with the pokemon designers... or were they planning for the gen 4 split?

Yeah, I noticed that in some of the early gen mons. I think it was GameFreaks way of tiering them through a combination of different factors, like a tank with bad defensive typing, or an offensive type with poor offensive typing, or as you mentioned, having mismatched stats/moves.

I'm pretty sure it was intentional. I think competitive balancing wasn't on the list back then, which is why they recently boosted the BSTs of some earlier gen mons.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Considering You've now posted this in Orange Islands, I'll lock this thread and see how the OI version goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)