LC Totodile

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Approved by OP on Discord

QC: Hilomilo / Fiend / Berks
GP: The Dutch Plumberjack / Haund

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to access to Dragon Dance and a great ability in Sheer Force, Totodile can be a decently threatening late-game sweeper. Its access to good coverage moves in Superpower and Sheer Force-boosted Ice Punch allows Totodile to break through common checks to offensive Water-types, like Ferroseed and Foongus. Totodile can also use a STAB priority move in Aqua Jet, allowing it to revenge kill frail or weakened threats like Doduo and Abra. It also has decent natural bulk as well as a good defensive Water typing, meaning it can usually find a setup opportunity. However, Totodile faces a lot of competition from other physically offensive Water-types like Carvanha and Corphish. The latter in particular also has access to Dragon Dance, is more powerful than Totodile thanks to Adaptability, and can weaken walls more easily thanks to access to Knock Off. However, Totodile carves a niche for itself thanks to its access to Ice Punch, as this gives it a reliable way to hit bulky Grass-types like Foongus and Snivy. Totodile is also quite slow, meaning it can relatively easily be revenge killed by many Choice Scarf users like Doduo and Mienfoo. Lastly, Totodile struggles to break through bulky Water-types like Staryu and Mareanie, so teams that have one of these will easily be able to prevent its sweep.

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Superpower / Aqua Jet
item: Eviolite / Life Orb
ability: Sheer Force
nature: Adamant
evs: 236 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance boosts both Totodile's Attack and Speed by one stage, allowing it to sweep once its checks have been weakened. Waterfall is Totodile's best STAB move, and thanks to Sheer Force, it can 2HKO or OHKO most of the metagame that does not resist it after a Dragon Dance boost, including some very bulky Pokemon like Spritzee after Stealth Rock. Ice Punch's main targets are bulky Grass-types like Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL, both of which are 2HKOed thanks to the Sheer Force boost even before a Dragon Dance. It also 2HKOes defensive Vullaby after a boost, which Totodile can't achieve with Waterfall. In addition, Ice Punch is Totodile's best way to hit Croagunk. Superpower hits Ferroseed, which otherwise walls Totodile completely, super effectively, 2HKOing it even through the Attack drop and before a Dragon Dance boost. Aqua Jet is an option to revenge kill frail or weakened faster threats like Gastly and Abra, as well as to take out faster Choice Scarf users after Totodile has set up, like Doduo and Drilbur. However, not running Superpower takes away Totodile's main niche of being able to take out most traditional checks to offensive Water-types, as it will be unable to dent Ferroseed. Crunch is an option to hit certain bulky Water-types like Frillish and Slowpoke as well as Wynaut very hard, but it has very limited coverage outside of these targets, and since they aren't very common, it is generally not worth a moveslot.

Set Details
========

Sheer Force is the main reason to use Totodile, as the boost it gives to Waterfall allows Totodile to be quite powerful, while the boost to Ice Punch means Totodile can beat bulky Grass-types. Eviolite is usually the item of choice, as it gives Totodile significantly more set up opportunities. For example, with an Eviolite, Totodile can take any one hit from Doduo and Abra, outside of Life Orb-boosted Energy Ball. A Life Orb can be used to achieve certain KOs; for example, after a Dragon Dance and Stealth Rock damage, it lets Totodile KO Pumpkaboo and Foongus with Ice Punch and Ferroseed with Superpower. In addition, Life Orb Totodile KOes Snubbull and Spritzee after Stealth Rock and minor prior damage if their items have been removed by a teammate's Knock Off. However, a lack of Eviolite means Totodile struggles to find setup opportunities and leaves it easily revenge killed. The Speed EVs allow Totodile to hit 14 Speed, meaning it will outspeed the entire unboosted metagame after a Dragon Dance. The Attack EVs allow Totodile to deal as much damage as possible and, in combination with an Adamant nature, secure the 2HKO on Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL with Ice Punch and Ferroseed with Superpower. The leftover EVs are placed into Defense in order to raise it by one point. A Jolly nature can be used to outspeed 14 Speed Choice Scarf users like Modest Magnemite and Adamant Scraggy, but these aren't very common, so the extra damage from an Adamant nature is usually preferred. Jolly Totodile should usually run a Life Orb instead of an Eviolite, as it will otherwise miss out on the 2HKO on Foongus, Pumpkaboo-XL, and Ferroseed.

Usage Tips
========

Totodile should be preserved until the late-game in order to set up a Dragon Dance and sweep. Generally, Totodile should set up on Pokemon that can't hurt it much, such as passive Pokemon like Spritzee and Pokemon that don't have moves to hit it very hard, such as Staryu lacking Thunderbolt. It can also set up on Pokemon it forces out, like Mudbray and Diglett. Lastly, Totodile can set up on even powerful attackers in an emergency if it is holding an Eviolite, but this is not recommended, as it will be significantly weakened and thus easily revenge killed. Even though Totodile is able to break through some bulky Grass-types with Ice Punch, they should still be weakened before setting up with Totodile, as they can generally OHKO it if they take a hit, especially if Totodile is weakened. If Totodile is running Aqua Jet, it can be used to revenge kill some weakened threats, like Gastly and Doduo. Totodile should usually wait with setting up until its checks have been weakened or removed, as it will be able to sweep much more easily then. However, in some situations, it can be smart to set up with Totodile earlier in the game, as its coverage moves allow it to break through some checks it shares with a teammate like Corphish or Carvanha, allowing them to sweep more easily in the late game. Always avoid letting Totodile get statused, as a burn or paralysis can easily stop its sweep. In addition, it is often wise to avoid taking any damage, as a weakened Totodile will struggle to find setup opportunities. If Totodile is running Life Orb, faster Choice Scarf users and powerful priority users should be eliminated before attempting to sweep, as the lack of Eviolite means Totodile can easily be revenge killed.

Team Options
========

Totodile fits well on offensive Water-type cores with teammates like Carvanha, Corphish, and Staryu, as they can eliminate or weaken shared checks to allow one of them to sweep in the late-game. These Pokemon especially appreciate Totodile's ability to take out Grass-types like Foongus more consistently than most Water-types. Pokemon like Chinchou and Snivy can threaten Totodile's best answers in bulky Water-types, making them good teammates for it. Clerics like Spritzee and Snubbull can remove a burn or paralysis from Totodile, both of which can significantly cripple it. Memento support from Cottonee or Diglett, Aurora Veil support from Alolan Vulpix, or Parting Shot support from Pancham can give Totodile a setup opportunity. This is especially useful if Totodile is holding a Life Orb, as it can make up for the lack of bulk. Diglett can also trap Chinchou and Croagunk, both of which Totodile struggles to take out, while Alolan Vulpix can help it by threatening Grass-types. Other checks to Grass-types such as Vullaby, Doduo, and Ponyta can weaken or remove Pokemon like Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL in order to make Totodile's sweep easier. Entry hazard support from Ferroseed or Onix can break Sturdy and weaken the opponent's team, allowing Totodile to clean up more easily in the late-game. Knock Off users like the aforementioned Corphish, Snivy, and Ferroseed, as well as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Dark-types like Pawniard, can remove Eviolites from defensive Pokemon, crippling them and opening up the way for Totodile to sweep. Ground-types like Mudbray, Drilbur, and the aforementioned Diglett are good teammates for Totodile, as they can check and take out Electric-types, which threaten Totodile. Dark-types like Vullaby and Carvanha can threaten Pokemon that can prevent Totodile's sweep, like Slowpoke, Frillish, and Wynaut, and many can provide Knock Off support. Certain Dark-types, like Pawniard and Alolan Grimer, can also Pursuit trap Pokemon like Abra to make Totodile's sweep easier.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Totodile can run a Swords Dance set that focuses on wallbreaking for its teammates, but this is completely outclassed by Corphish due to its access to Knock Off to remove Eviolites and higher power. This set can also be used on Sticky Web teams, as its coverage means it requires less support than Corphish to clean up, while the Speed drop from Sticky Web means that it's not very easily revenge killed, thus allowing it to sweep effectively. A Dragon Dance set with a Life Orb and an Adamant nature can also be used for this purpose. Totodile has certain other coverage options it can use. Aerial Ace hits Croagunk, Iron Tail hits Fairy-types like Snubbull and Spritzee, and Rock Slide hits certain Flying-types like Mantyke and Wingull harder than Ice Punch, while also hitting Ice-types. However, the coverage from Ice Punch and Superpower is nearly always preferred, as it hits more traditional and common checks to Water-types. Groundium Z is an option with Dig to OHKO Croagunk, Chinchou, and Mareanie, but Totodile doesn't want to give up any of its other moves, and Dig is useless after using the Z-Move. Substitute can be used to avoid status and Sucker Punch, but Totodile doesn't have a moveslot for it.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Bulky Water-types**: Staryu, Mareanie, and Slowpoke can all easily take most hits from Totodile, though Staryu has to be wary of Superpower. In return, Staryu can hit it hard with Thunderboly, Mareanie can burn it with Scald or remove its boosts with Haze, and Slowpoke can paralyze it with Thunder Wave.

**Status**: Burns and paralyses can easily cut Totodile's sweep short by crippling its stats. As such, status users like Ferroseed, Snubbull, and Slowpoke can prevent a sweep.

**Revenge killers**: Fast Choice Scarf users like Doduo and strong priority users like Timburr can easily take out a slightly weakened Totodile.

Last edited:

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
* This looks great! All I can think to tell you to add is that Totodile's typing, while good, also leaves it with weaknesses to rather common attack types in Electric and Grass.

Set
item: Eviolite

Pretty minor change here. I've used Totodile pretty extensively in the past couple weeks, and have found that against stuff like Mienfoo, Timburr, Staryu, especially Abra, Doduo, etc. it's a lot better to have the bulk to set up (Life Orb is great damage but leaves you with rather unreliable setup opportunities at times). Also a little skeptical of Aqua Jet, though its ability to bypass Sucker Punch is probably enough to warrant staying on the set (I'll honestly leave that one up to you, just saying though that being unable to hit Ferro sucks).

Moves
* Specify in both your Ice Punch and Superpower lines whether or not Totodile is boosted in the calcs you've provided.
* I think Crunch is good enough to warrant a mention here, since it hits the likes of Pokemon that would otherwise wall and/or heavily pressure Totodile, like Slowpoke, Frillish, and Wynaut. Say this, but also say that the move has limited coverage outside of the aforementioned targets.

Set Details
Looks good

Usage Tips
* Staryu lacking Ice Beam doesn't sound like a Pokemon that Totodile will likely set up on (it'll hit decently hard with either Tbolt or Psychic). Replace Ice Beam with Thunderbolt, I think that's what you meant to say anyway.

Team Options
* I'd add Grass-type checks here, as even with Ice Punch, Totodile particularly enjoys having Grass-types weakened in order to secure KOs. Give examples, and say that they can either remove or weaken bulky Grass-types enough to help Totodile clean up late-game.
* I think that Dark-types also deserve mentions here. They check all the defensive Pokemon that Totodile notably has trouble breaking through, such as Slowpoke, Frillish, Lileep, and Wynaut. Some also Pursuit trap the likes of Abra and Gastly, which could otherwise revenge kill or dent Totodile as it tries setting up. Give examples.

Other Options
* Remove Crunch mentions, as I've told you to move it up to Moves.
* I'd add Rock Slide here. It hits all Flying-types super effectively (rare ones like Mantyke and Wingull take neutral damage from Ice Punch) and can also hit Ice-types like Alolan Vulpix and Snover super effectively in one slot. Mention the drawback, which is its worse accuracy over Ice Punch, rather redundant coverage alongside Totodile's, and the fact that most Ice-types drop to the superior coverage option in Superpower anyway.

Checks and Counters
* This looks good, but your status line could use some more substance. To add a little more, I'd just give some examples of Pokemon that commonly carry status moves, like Snubbull, Slowpoke, Cottonee, and Ferroseed.

As usual, great work! Make sure this is all implemented, then give yourself 1/3.

Xayah

San Bwanna
Overview
* This looks great! All I can think to tell you to add is that Totodile's typing, while good, also leaves it with weaknesses to rather common attack types in Electric and Grass.

Set
item: Eviolite

Pretty minor change here. I've used Totodile pretty extensively in the past couple weeks, and have found that against stuff like Mienfoo, Timburr, Staryu, especially Abra, Doduo, etc. it's a lot better to have the bulk to set up (Life Orb is great damage but leaves you with rather unreliable setup opportunities at times). Also a little skeptical of Aqua Jet, though its ability to bypass Sucker Punch is probably enough to warrant staying on the set (I'll honestly leave that one up to you, just saying though that being unable to hit Ferro sucks).

Moves
* Specify in both your Ice Punch and Superpower lines whether or not Totodile is boosted in the calcs you've provided.
* I think Crunch is good enough to warrant a mention here, since it hits the likes of Pokemon that would otherwise wall and/or heavily pressure Totodile, like Slowpoke, Frillish, and Wynaut. Say this, but also say that the move has limited coverage outside of the aforementioned targets.

Set Details
Looks good

Usage Tips
* Staryu lacking Ice Beam doesn't sound like a Pokemon that Totodile will likely set up on (it'll hit decently hard with either Tbolt or Psychic). Replace Ice Beam with Thunderbolt, I think that's what you meant to say anyway.

Team Options
* I'd add Grass-type checks here, as even with Ice Punch, Totodile particularly enjoys having Grass-types weakened in order to secure KOs. Give examples, and say that they can either remove or weaken bulky Grass-types enough to help Totodile clean up late-game.
* I think that Dark-types also deserve mentions here. They check all the defensive Pokemon that Totodile notably has trouble breaking through, such as Slowpoke, Frillish, Lileep, and Wynaut. Some also Pursuit trap the likes of Abra and Gastly, which could otherwise revenge kill or dent Totodile as it tries setting up. Give examples.

Other Options
* Remove Crunch mentions, as I've told you to move it up to Moves.
* I'd add Rock Slide here. It hits all Flying-types super effectively (rare ones like Mantyke and Wingull take neutral damage from Ice Punch) and can also hit Ice-types like Alolan Vulpix and Snover super effectively in one slot. Mention the drawback, which is its worse accuracy over Ice Punch, rather redundant coverage alongside Totodile's, and the fact that most Ice-types drop to the superior coverage option in Superpower anyway.

Checks and Counters
* This looks good, but your status line could use some more substance. To add a little more, I'd just give some examples of Pokemon that commonly carry status moves, like Snubbull, Slowpoke, Cottonee, and Ferroseed.

As usual, great work! Make sure this is all implemented, then give yourself 1/3.
Thanks for the check, implemented.

Ready for QC 2/3

amcheck for the inferior Gen 2 starter!
Overview
-"it can usually find set up opportunity." change to "set up opportunities" or "find a set up opportunity."
-Corphish can also hit Pumpkaboo quite hard with Knock Off:
196+ Atk Corphish Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 204 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pumpkaboo-Super: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
196+ Atk Corphish Knock Off vs. 204 HP / 36 Def Pumpkaboo-Super: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO

Set
fine

Moves
-You should move the part about "after its checks are weakened" to Usage Tips
-Examples under Waterfall!!!

Set Details
-I'd put Doduo before Abra as an example, as the phrase "outside of a Life Orb boosted Energy Ball" sounds better at the end

Usage Tips
-You continually use "sweep" and "clean" throughout this analysis to describe Totodile's role, but they are pretty different, and you never mention them at the same time. I suggest you change all the mentions to "sweep" and mention "cleaning" here as an alternate role of Totodile
-As mentioned above, mention weakening checks
-Add to the 6th bullet to avoid taking damage

Team Options
-Also mention that Totodile can break through Grass-types in particular better than most Water-types in the first bullet
-Second bullet is redundant
-Since you already have 2 examples, mention Parting Shot from Pancham in the 4th bullet. Also mention A-Pix can help weaken Grass-types
-May want to move the "checks to grass-types" bullet to after the bullet above if you implement the above change, as it would provide a nice transition
-Say "and many can provide Knock Off" instead of "and can provide Knock Off"

Other Options
fine

Checks and Counters
pretty good

Cyndaquil > Totodile

Xayah

San Bwanna
amcheck for the inferior Gen 2 starter!
Overview
-"it can usually find set up opportunity." change to "set up opportunities" or "find a set up opportunity."
-Corphish can also hit Pumpkaboo quite hard with Knock Off:
196+ Atk Corphish Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 204 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pumpkaboo-Super: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
196+ Atk Corphish Knock Off vs. 204 HP / 36 Def Pumpkaboo-Super: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO

Set
fine

Moves
-You should move the part about "after its checks are weakened" to Usage Tips
-Examples under Waterfall!!!

Set Details
-I'd put Doduo before Abra as an example, as the phrase "outside of a Life Orb boosted Energy Ball" sounds better at the end

Usage Tips
-You continually use "sweep" and "clean" throughout this analysis to describe Totodile's role, but they are pretty different, and you never mention them at the same time. I suggest you change all the mentions to "sweep" and mention "cleaning" here as an alternate role of Totodile
-As mentioned above, mention weakening checks
-Add to the 6th bullet to avoid taking damage

Team Options
-Also mention that Totodile can break through Grass-types in particular better than most Water-types in the first bullet
-Second bullet is redundant
-Since you already have 2 examples, mention Parting Shot from Pancham in the 4th bullet. Also mention A-Pix can help weaken Grass-types
-May want to move the "checks to grass-types" bullet to after the bullet above if you implement the above change, as it would provide a nice transition
-Say "and many can provide Knock Off" instead of "and can provide Knock Off"

Other Options
fine

Checks and Counters
pretty good

Cyndaquil > Totodile
Nice check all around! Implement most of it.

Also, Totodile is the second best starter design ever, only behind Rowlet. So Cyndaquil <<<<<< Totodile.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LC Leader
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
i would mention that ice punch is toto's best way to hit croagunk

Set Details
========
mention how adamant life orb sets can ohko foongus/pumpkaboo/ferroseed after a dd and sr with the appropriate coverage move, and how it ohkoes itemless spritzee and snubbull w/o eviolite after sr with a bit of prior dmg. phrase as you would like; just convey the raw power potential of this set, but do cover how it is very easily revenged.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
mention sd (or even ada lo dd) on webs as a standalone sweeper that needs less support than corphish

2/3

Xayah

San Bwanna
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
i would mention that ice punch is toto's best way to hit croagunk

Set Details
========
mention how adamant life orb sets can ohko foongus/pumpkaboo/ferroseed after a dd and sr with the appropriate coverage move, and how it ohkoes itemless spritzee and snubbull w/o eviolite after sr with a bit of prior dmg. phrase as you would like; just convey the raw power potential of this set, but do cover how it is very easily revenged.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
mention sd (or even ada lo dd) on webs as a standalone sweeper that needs less support than corphish

2/3
Thank you, implemented and written up.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to access to Dragon Dance and a great ability in Sheer Force, Totodile can be a decently threatening late-game sweeper. Its access to good coverage moves in Superpower and Sheer Force-boosted Ice Punch allows Totodile to break through common checks to offensive Water-types, like Ferroseed and Foongus. Totodile can also use a STAB priority move in Aqua Jet, allowing it to revenge kill frail or weakened threats like Doduo and Abra. It also has decent natural bulk as well as a good defensive Water typing, meaning it can usually find a set up setup opportunity. However, Totodile faces a lot of competition from other physically offensive Water-types like Carvanha and Corphish. The latter in particular also has access to Dragon Dance, is more powerful than Totodile thanks to Adaptability, and can weaken walls more easily thanks to access to Knock Off. However, Totodile carves a niche for itself in access to Ice Punch, as this gives it a reliable way to hit bulky Grass-types like Foongus and Snivy. Totodile is also quite slow, meaning it can relatively easily be revenge killed by many Choice Scarf users like Doduo and Mienfoo. Lastly, Totodile struggles to break through bulky Water-types like Staryu and Mareanie, so teams that have one of these will easily be able to prevent its sweep.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance boosts both Totodile's Attack and Speed by one stage, allowing it to sweep once its checks have been weakened. Waterfall is Totodile's best STAB move, and thanks to Sheer Force, it can 2HKO or OHKO most of the metagame that does not resist it after a Dragon Dance boost, including some very bulky Pokemon like Spritzee after Stealth Rock. Ice Punch's main targets are bulky Grass-types like Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL, both of which are 2HKOed thanks to the Sheer Force boost even before a Dragon Dance. It also 2HKOes defensive Vullaby after a boost, which Totodile can't achieve with Waterfall. In addition, Ice Punch is Totodile's best way to hit Croagunk. Superpower hits Ferroseed, which otherwise walls Totodile completely, super effectively, 2HKOing it even through the Attack drop and before a Dragon Dance boost. Aqua Jet is an option to revenge kill frail or weakened faster threats like Gastly and Abra, as well as to take out faster Choice Scarf users after Totodile has set up, like Doduo and Drilbur, However, not running Superpower takes away Totodile's main niche of being able to take out most traditional checks to offensive Water-types, as it will be unable to dent Ferroseed. Crunch is an option to hit certain bulky Water-types like Frillish and Slowpoke as well as Wynaut very hard, but it has very limited coverage outside of these targets, and since they aren't very common, it is generally not worth a moveslot.

Set Details
========

Sheer Force is the main reason to use Totodile, as the boost it gives to Waterfall allows Totodile to be quite powerful, while the boost to Ice Punch means Totodile can beat bulky Grass-types. Eviolite is usually the item of choice, as it gives Totodile significantly more set up opportunities. For example, with an Eviolite, Totodile can take any one hit from Doduo and Abra, outside of Life Orb-boosted Energy Ball. A Life Orb can be used to achieve certain KOs. For example, after a Dragon Dance and Stealth Rock damage, it lets Totodile KO Pumpkaboo and Foongus with Ice Punch and Ferroseed with Superpower. In addition, Life Orb Totodile KOes Snubbull and Spritzee after Stealth Rock and minor prior damage if their items have been removed by a teammate's Knock Off. However, a lack of Eviolite means Totodile struggles to find setup opportunities and leaves it easily revenge killed. The Speed EVs allow Totodile to hit 14 Speed, meaning it will outspeed the entire unboosted metagame after a Dragon Dance. The Attack EVs allow Totodile to deal as much damage as possible and, in combination with an Adamant nature, secure the 2HKO on Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL with Ice Punch and Ferroseed with Superpower. The leftover EVs are placed into Defense in order to raise it by one point. A Jolly nature can be used to outspeed 14 Speed Choice Scarf users like Modest Magnemite and Adamant Scraggy, but these aren't very common, so the extra damage from an Adamant nature is usually preferred. Jolly Totodile should usually run a Life Orb in stead instead of an Eviolite, as it will otherwise miss out on the 2HKO on Foongus, Pumpkaboo-XL, and Ferroseed.

Usage Tips
========

Totodile should be preserved until the late-game in order to set up a Dragon Dance and sweep. Generally, Totodile should set up on Pokemon that can't hurt it much, such as passive Pokemon like Spritzee or and Pokemon that don't have moves to hit it very hard, such as Staryu lacking Thunderbolt. It can also set up on Pokemon it forces out, like Mudbray and Diglett. Lastly, Totodile can set up on even powerful attackers in an emergency if it is holding an Eviolite, but this is not recommended, (AC) as it will be significantly weakened and thus easily revenge killed. Even though Totodile is able to break through some bulky Grass-types with Ice Punch, they should still be weakened before setting up with Totodile, as they can generally OHKO it if they take a hit, especially if Totodile is weakened. If Totodile is running Aqua Jet, it can be used to revenge kill some weakened threats, like Gastly and Doduo. Totodile should usually wait with setting up until its checks have been weakened or removed, as it will be able to sweep much more easily then. However,iIn in some situations, it can be smart to set up with Totodile earlier in the game, as its coverage moves allow it to break through some checks it shares with a teammate like Corphish or Carvanha, allowing them to sweep more easily in the late game. Always avoid letting Totodile get statused, as a burn or paralysis can easily stop its sweep. In addition, it is often wise to avoid any damage, as a weakened Totodile will struggle to find set up opportunities. If Totodile is running Life Orb, faster Choice Scarf users and powerful priority users should be eliminated before attempting to sweep, as the lack of Eviolite means Totodile can easily be revenge killed.

Team Options
========

Totodile fits well on Water spam offensive Water-type cores with teammates like Carvanha, Corphish, and Staryu, as they can eliminate or weaken shared checks to allow one of them to sweep in the late-game. These Pokemon especially appreciate Totodile's ability to take out Grass-types like Foongus more consistently than most Water-types. Pokemon like Chinchou and Snivy can threaten Totodile's best answers in bulky Water-types, making them good teammates for it. Clerics like Spritzee and Snubbull can remove a burn or paralysis from Totodile, both of which can significantly cripple Totodile. Memento support from Cottonee or Diglett, Aurora Veil support from Alolan Vulpix, or Parting Shot support from Pancham can give Totodile a set up setup opportunity. This is especially useful if Totodile is holding a Life Orb, as it can make up for the lack of bulk. Diglett can also trap Chinchou and Croagunk, both of which Totodile struggles to take out, while Alolan Vulpix can help it by threatening Grass-types. Other checks to Grass-types such as Vullaby, Doduo, and Ponyta can weaken or remove Pokemon like Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL in order to make Totodile's sweep easier. Entry hazard support from Ferroseed or Onix can break Sturdies Sturdy and weaken the opponent's team, allowing Totodile to clean up more easily in the late game. Knock Off users like the aforementioned Corphish, Snivy, and Ferroseed, as well as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Dark-types like Pawniard, can remove Eviolites from defensive Pokemon, crippling them and opening up the way for Totodile to sweep. Ground-types like Mudbray, Drilbur, and the aforementioned Diglett are good teammates for Totodile, as they can check and take out Electric-types, which threaten Totodile. Dark-types like Vullaby and Carvanha can threaten Pokemon that can prevent Totodile's sweep, like Slowpoke, Frillish, and Wynaut, and many can provide Knock Off support. Certain Dark-types, like Pawniard and Alolan Grimer, can also Pursuit trap Pokemon like Abra to make Totodile's sweep easier.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Totodile can run a Swords Dance set that focuses on wallbreaking for its teammates, but this is completely outclassed by Corphish due to its access to Knock Off to remove Eviolites and higher power. This set can also be used on Sticky Web teams, as its coverage means it requires less support than Corphish to clean up, while the Speed drop from Sticky Web means that it's not very easily revenge killed, thus allowing it to sweep effectively. A Dragon Dance set with a Life Orb and an Adamant nature can also be used for this purpose. Totodile has certain other coverage options it can use. Aerial Ace hits Croagunk, Iron Tail hits Fairy-types like Snubbull and Spritzee, and Rock Slide hits certain Flying-types like Mantyke and Wingull harder than Ice Punch, while also hitting Ice-types. However, the coverage from Ice Punch and Superpower is nearly always preferred, as it hits more traditional and common checks to Water-types. Groundium Z is an option with Dig to OHKO Croagunk, Chinchou, and Mareanie, but Totodile doesn't want to give up any of its other moves, (AC) and Dig is useless after using the Z-Move. Substitute can be used to avoid status and Sucker Punch, but Totodile doesn't have a moveslot for it.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Bulky Water-types**: Staryu, Mareanie, and Slowpoke can all easily take most hits from Totodile, though Staryu has to be wary of Superpower. In return, Staryu can hit it hard with Thunderboly, Mareanie can burn it with Scald or remove its boosts with Haze, and Slowpoke can paralyze it with Thunder Wave.

**Status**: Burns and paralyses can easily cut Totodile's sweep short by crippling its stats. As such, status users like Ferroseed, Snubbull, and Slowpoke can prevent a sweep.

**Revenge killers**: Fast Choice Scarf users like Doduo and strong priority users like Timburr can easily take out a slightly weakened Totodile.

Last edited:

Xayah

San Bwanna
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to access to Dragon Dance and a great ability in Sheer Force, Totodile can be a decently threatening late-game sweeper. Its access to good coverage moves in Superpower and Sheer Force-boosted Ice Punch allows Totodile to break through common checks to offensive Water-types, like Ferroseed and Foongus. Totodile can also use a STAB priority move in Aqua Jet, allowing it to revenge kill frail or weakened threats like Doduo and Abra. It also has decent natural bulk as well as a good defensive Water typing, meaning it can usually find a set up setup opportunity. However, Totodile faces a lot of competition from other physically offensive Water-types like Carvanha and Corphish. The latter in particular also has access to Dragon Dance, is more powerful than Totodile thanks to Adaptability, and can weaken walls more easily thanks to access to Knock Off. However, Totodile carves a niche for itself in access to Ice Punch, as this gives it a reliable way to hit bulky Grass-types like Foongus and Snivy. Totodile is also quite slow, meaning it can relatively easily be revenge killed by many Choice Scarf users like Doduo and Mienfoo. Lastly, Totodile struggles to break through bulky Water-types like Staryu and Mareanie, so teams that have one of these will easily be able to prevent its sweep.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance boosts both Totodile's Attack and Speed by one stage, allowing it to sweep once its checks have been weakened. Waterfall is Totodile's best STAB move, and thanks to Sheer Force, it can 2HKO or OHKO most of the metagame that does not resist it after a Dragon Dance boost, including some very bulky Pokemon like Spritzee after Stealth Rock. Ice Punch's main targets are bulky Grass-types like Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL, both of which are 2HKOed thanks to the Sheer Force boost even before a Dragon Dance. It also 2HKOes defensive Vullaby after a boost, which Totodile can't achieve with Waterfall. In addition, Ice Punch is Totodile's best way to hit Croagunk. Superpower hits Ferroseed, which otherwise walls Totodile completely, super effectively, 2HKOing it even through the Attack drop and before a Dragon Dance boost. Aqua Jet is an option to revenge kill frail or weakened faster threats like Gastly and Abra, as well as to take out faster Choice Scarf users after Totodile has set up, like Doduo and Drilbur, However, not running Superpower takes away Totodile's main niche of being able to take out most traditional checks to offensive Water-types, as it will be unable to dent Ferroseed. Crunch is an option to hit certain bulky Water-types like Frillish and Slowpoke as well as Wynaut very hard, but it has very limited coverage outside of these targets, and since they aren't very common, it is generally not worth a moveslot.

Set Details
========

Sheer Force is the main reason to use Totodile, as the boost it gives to Waterfall allows Totodile to be quite powerful, while the boost to Ice Punch means Totodile can beat bulky Grass-types. Eviolite is usually the item of choice, as it gives Totodile significantly more set up opportunities. For example, with an Eviolite, Totodile can take any one hit from Doduo and Abra, outside of Life Orb-boosted Energy Ball. A Life Orb can be used to achieve certain KOs. For example, after a Dragon Dance and Stealth Rock damage, it lets Totodile KO Pumpkaboo and Foongus with Ice Punch and Ferroseed with Superpower. In addition, Life Orb Totodile KOes Snubbull and Spritzee after Stealth Rock and minor prior damage if their items have been removed by a teammate's Knock Off. However, a lack of Eviolite means Totodile struggles to find setup opportunities and leaves it easily revenge killed. The Speed EVs allow Totodile to hit 14 Speed, meaning it will outspeed the entire unboosted metagame after a Dragon Dance. The Attack EVs allow Totodile to deal as much damage as possible and, in combination with an Adamant nature, secure the 2HKO on Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL with Ice Punch and Ferroseed with Superpower. The leftover EVs are placed into Defense in order to raise it by one point. A Jolly nature can be used to outspeed 14 Speed Choice Scarf users like Modest Magnemite and Adamant Scraggy, but these aren't very common, so the extra damage from an Adamant nature is usually preferred. Jolly Totodile should usually run a Life Orb in stead instead of an Eviolite, as it will otherwise miss out on the 2HKO on Foongus, Pumpkaboo-XL, and Ferroseed.

Usage Tips
========

Totodile should be preserved until the late-game in order to set up a Dragon Dance and sweep. Generally, Totodile should set up on Pokemon that can't hurt it much, such as passive Pokemon like Spritzee or and Pokemon that don't have moves to hit it very hard, such as Staryu lacking Thunderbolt. It can also set up on Pokemon it forces out, like Mudbray and Diglett. Lastly, Totodile can set up on even powerful attackers in an emergency if it is holding an Eviolite, but this is not recommended, (AC) as it will be significantly weakened and thus easily revenge killed. Even though Totodile is able to break through some bulky Grass-types with Ice Punch, they should still be weakened before setting up with Totodile, as they can generally OHKO it if they take a hit, especially if Totodile is weakened. If Totodile is running Aqua Jet, it can be used to revenge kill some weakened threats, like Gastly and Doduo. Totodile should usually wait with setting up until its checks have been weakened or removed, as it will be able to sweep much more easily then. However,iIn in some situations, it can be smart to set up with Totodile earlier in the game, as its coverage moves allow it to break through some checks it shares with a teammate like Corphish or Carvanha, allowing them to sweep more easily in the late game. Always avoid letting Totodile get statused, as a burn or paralysis can easily stop its sweep. In addition, it is often wise to avoid any damage, as a weakened Totodile will struggle to find set up opportunities. If Totodile is running Life Orb, faster Choice Scarf users and powerful priority users should be eliminated before attempting to sweep, as the lack of Eviolite means Totodile can easily be revenge killed.

Team Options
========

Totodile fits well on Water spam offensive Water-type cores with teammates like Carvanha, Corphish, and Staryu, as they can eliminate or weaken shared checks to allow one of them to sweep in the late-game. These Pokemon especially appreciate Totodile's ability to take out Grass-types like Foongus more consistently than most Water-types. Pokemon like Chinchou and Snivy can threaten Totodile's best answers in bulky Water-types, making them good teammates for it. Clerics like Spritzee and Snubbull can remove a burn or paralysis from Totodile, both of which can significantly cripple Totodile. Memento support from Cottonee or Diglett, Aurora Veil support from Alolan Vulpix, or Parting Shot support from Pancham can give Totodile a set up setup opportunity. This is especially useful if Totodile is holding a Life Orb, as it can make up for the lack of bulk. Diglett can also trap Chinchou and Croagunk, both of which Totodile struggles to take out, while Alolan Vulpix can help it by threatening Grass-types. Other checks to Grass-types such as Vullaby, Doduo, and Ponyta can weaken or remove Pokemon like Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL in order to make Totodile's sweep easier. Entry hazard support from Ferroseed or Onix can break Sturdies Sturdy and weaken the opponent's team, allowing Totodile to clean up more easily in the late game. Knock Off users like the aforementioned Corphish, Snivy, and Ferroseed, as well as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Dark-types like Pawniard, can remove Eviolites from defensive Pokemon, crippling them and opening up the way for Totodile to sweep. Ground-types like Mudbray, Drilbur, and the aforementioned Diglett are good teammates for Totodile, as they can check and take out Electric-types, which threaten Totodile. Dark-types like Vullaby and Carvanha can threaten Pokemon that can prevent Totodile's sweep, like Slowpoke, Frillish, and Wynaut, and many can provide Knock Off support. Certain Dark-types, like Pawniard and Alolan Grimer, can also Pursuit trap Pokemon like Abra to make Totodile's sweep easier.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Totodile can run a Swords Dance set that focuses on wallbreaking for its teammates, but this is completely outclassed by Corphish due to its access to Knock Off to remove Eviolites and higher power. This set can also be used on Sticky Web teams, as its coverage means it requires less support than Corphish to clean up, while the Speed drop from Sticky Web means that it's not very easily revenge killed, thus allowing it to sweep effectively. A Dragon Dance set with a Life Orb and an Adamant nature can also be used for this purpose. Totodile has certain other coverage options it can use. Aerial Ace hits Croagunk, Iron Tail hits Fairy-types like Snubbull and Spritzee, and Rock Slide hits certain Flying-types like Mantyke and Wingull harder than Ice Punch, while also hitting Ice-types. However, the coverage from Ice Punch and Superpower is nearly always preferred, as it hits more traditional and common checks to Water-types. Groundium Z is an option with Dig to OHKO Croagunk, Chinchou, and Mareanie, but Totodile doesn't want to give up any of its other moves, (AC) and Dig is useless after using the Z-Move. Substitute can be used to avoid status and Sucker Punch, but Totodile doesn't have a moveslot for it.

Checks and Counters
===================

Thanks, ready for GP 2/2

Additions
Removals
Comments
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to access to Dragon Dance and a great ability in Sheer Force, Totodile can be a decently threatening late-game sweeper. Its access to good coverage moves in Superpower and Sheer Force-boosted Ice Punch allows Totodile to break through common checks to offensive Water-types, like Ferroseed and Foongus. Totodile can also use a STAB priority move in Aqua Jet, allowing it to revenge kill frail or weakened threats like Doduo and Abra. It also has decent natural bulk as well as a good defensive Water typing, meaning it can usually find a setup opportunity. However, Totodile faces a lot of competition from other physically offensive Water-types like Carvanha and Corphish. The latter in particular also has access to Dragon Dance, is more powerful than Totodile thanks to Adaptability, and can weaken walls more easily thanks to access to Knock Off. However, Totodile carves a niche for itself in thanks to its access to Ice Punch, as this gives it a reliable way to hit bulky Grass-types like Foongus and Snivy. Totodile is also quite slow, meaning it can relatively easily be revenge killed by many Choice Scarf users like Doduo and Mienfoo. Lastly, Totodile struggles to break through bulky Water-types like Staryu and Mareanie, so teams that have one of these will easily be able to prevent its sweep.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance boosts both Totodile's Attack and Speed by one stage, allowing it to sweep once its checks have been weakened. Waterfall is Totodile's best STAB move, and thanks to Sheer Force, it can 2HKO or OHKO most of the metagame that does not resist it after a Dragon Dance boost, including some very bulky Pokemon like Spritzee after Stealth Rock. Ice Punch's main targets are bulky Grass-types like Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL, both of which are 2HKOed thanks to the Sheer Force boost even before a Dragon Dance. It also 2HKOes defensive Vullaby after a boost, which Totodile can't achieve with Waterfall. In addition, Ice Punch is Totodile's best way to hit Croagunk. Superpower hits Ferroseed, which otherwise walls Totodile completely, super effectively, 2HKOing it even through the Attack drop and before a Dragon Dance boost. Aqua Jet is an option to revenge kill frail or weakened faster threats like Gastly and Abra, as well as to take out faster Choice Scarf users after Totodile has set up, like Doduo and Drilbur, Drilbur. However, not running Superpower takes away Totodile's main niche of being able to take out most traditional checks to offensive Water-types, as it will be unable to dent Ferroseed. Crunch is an option to hit certain bulky Water-types like Frillish and Slowpoke as well as Wynaut very hard, but it has very limited coverage outside of these targets, and since they aren't very common, it is generally not worth a moveslot.

Set Details
========

Sheer Force is the main reason to use Totodile, as the boost it gives to Waterfall allows Totodile to be quite powerful, while the boost to Ice Punch means Totodile can beat bulky Grass-types. Eviolite is usually the item of choice, as it gives Totodile significantly more set up opportunities. For example, with an Eviolite, Totodile can take any one hit from Doduo and Abra, outside of Life Orb-boosted Energy Ball. A Life Orb can be used to achieve certain KOs. KOs; For for example, after a Dragon Dance and Stealth Rock damage, it lets Totodile KO Pumpkaboo and Foongus with Ice Punch and Ferroseed with Superpower. In addition, Life Orb Totodile KOes Snubbull and Spritzee after Stealth Rock and minor prior damage if their items have been removed by a teammate's Knock Off. However, a lack of Eviolite means Totodile struggles to find setup opportunities and leaves it easily revenge killed. The Speed EVs allow Totodile to hit 14 Speed, meaning it will outspeed the entire unboosted metagame after a Dragon Dance. The Attack EVs allow Totodile to deal as much damage as possible and, in combination with an Adamant nature, secure the 2HKO on Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL with Ice Punch and Ferroseed with Superpower. The leftover EVs are placed into Defense in order to raise it by one point. A Jolly nature can be used to outspeed 14 Speed Choice Scarf users like Modest Magnemite and Adamant Scraggy, but these aren't very common, so the extra damage from an Adamant nature is usually preferred. Jolly Totodile should usually run a Life Orb instead of an Eviolite, as it will otherwise miss out on the 2HKO on Foongus, Pumpkaboo-XL, and Ferroseed.

Usage Tips
========

Totodile should be preserved until the late-game in order to set up a Dragon Dance and sweep. Generally, Totodile should set up on Pokemon that can't hurt it much, such as passive Pokemon like Spritzee and Pokemon that don't have moves to hit it very hard, such as Staryu lacking Thunderbolt. It can also set up on Pokemon it forces out, like Mudbray and Diglett. Lastly, Totodile can set up on even powerful attackers in an emergency if it is holding an Eviolite, but this is not recommended, (AC) as it will be significantly weakened and thus easily revenge killed. Even though Totodile is able to break through some bulky Grass-types with Ice Punch, they should still be weakened before setting up with Totodile, as they can generally OHKO it if they take a hit, especially if Totodile is weakened. If Totodile is running Aqua Jet, it can be used to revenge kill some weakened threats, like Gastly and Doduo. Totodile should usually wait with setting up until its checks have been weakened or removed, as it will be able to sweep much more easily then. However, in some situations, it can be smart to set up with Totodile earlier in the game, as its coverage moves allow it to break through some checks it shares with a teammate like Corphish or Carvanha, allowing them to sweep more easily in the late game. Always avoid letting Totodile get statused, as a burn or paralysis can easily stop its sweep. In addition, it is often wise to avoid taking any damage, as a weakened Totodile will struggle to find set up setup opportunities. If Totodile is running Life Orb, faster Choice Scarf users and powerful priority users should be eliminated before attempting to sweep, as the lack of Eviolite means Totodile can easily be revenge killed.

Team Options
========

Totodile fits well on offensive Water-type cores with teammates like Carvanha, Corphish, and Staryu, as they can eliminate or weaken shared checks to allow one of them to sweep in the late-game. These Pokemon especially appreciate Totodile's ability to take out Grass-types like Foongus more consistently than most Water-types. Pokemon like Chinchou and Snivy can threaten Totodile's best answers in bulky Water-types, making them good teammates for it. Clerics like Spritzee and Snubbull can remove a burn or paralysis from Totodile, both of which can significantly cripple Totodile. it. Memento support from Cottonee or Diglett, Aurora Veil support from Alolan Vulpix, or Parting Shot support from Pancham can give Totodile a setup opportunity. This is especially useful if Totodile is holding a Life Orb, as it can make up for the lack of bulk. Diglett can also trap Chinchou and Croagunk, both of which Totodile struggles to take out, while Alolan Vulpix can help it by threatening Grass-types. Other checks to Grass-types such as Vullaby, Doduo, and Ponyta can weaken or remove Pokemon like Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL in order to make Totodile's sweep easier. Entry hazard support from Ferroseed or Onix can break Sturdy and weaken the opponent's team, allowing Totodile to clean up more easily in the late game. late-game. Knock Off users like the aforementioned Corphish, Snivy, and Ferroseed, as well as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Dark-types like Pawniard, can remove Eviolites from defensive Pokemon, crippling them and opening up the way for Totodile to sweep. Ground-types like Mudbray, Drilbur, and the aforementioned Diglett are good teammates for Totodile, as they can check and take out Electric-types, which threaten Totodile. Dark-types like Vullaby and Carvanha can threaten Pokemon that can prevent Totodile's sweep, like Slowpoke, Frillish, and Wynaut, and many can provide Knock Off support. Certain Dark-types, like Pawniard and Alolan Grimer, can also Pursuit trap Pokemon like Abra to make Totodile's sweep easier.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Totodile can run a Swords Dance set that focuses on wallbreaking for its teammates, but this is completely outclassed by Corphish due to its access to Knock Off to remove Eviolites and higher power. This set can also be used on Sticky Web teams, as its coverage means it requires less support than Corphish to clean up, while the Speed drop from Sticky Web means that it's not very easily revenge killed, thus allowing it to sweep effectively. A Dragon Dance set with a Life Orb and an Adamant nature can also be used for this purpose. Totodile has certain other coverage options it can use. Aerial Ace hits Croagunk, Iron Tail hits Fairy-types like Snubbull and Spritzee, and Rock Slide hits certain Flying-types like Mantyke and Wingull harder than Ice Punch, while also hitting Ice-types. However, the coverage from Ice Punch and Superpower is nearly always preferred, as it hits more traditional and common checks to Water-types. Groundium Z is an option with Dig to OHKO Croagunk, Chinchou, and Mareanie, but Totodile doesn't want to give up any of its other moves, and Dig is useless after using the Z-Move. Substitute can be used to avoid status and Sucker Punch, but Totodile doesn't have a moveslot for it.

Checks and Counters
===================

2/2 v good

Xayah

San Bwanna
Additions
Removals
Comments
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to access to Dragon Dance and a great ability in Sheer Force, Totodile can be a decently threatening late-game sweeper. Its access to good coverage moves in Superpower and Sheer Force-boosted Ice Punch allows Totodile to break through common checks to offensive Water-types, like Ferroseed and Foongus. Totodile can also use a STAB priority move in Aqua Jet, allowing it to revenge kill frail or weakened threats like Doduo and Abra. It also has decent natural bulk as well as a good defensive Water typing, meaning it can usually find a setup opportunity. However, Totodile faces a lot of competition from other physically offensive Water-types like Carvanha and Corphish. The latter in particular also has access to Dragon Dance, is more powerful than Totodile thanks to Adaptability, and can weaken walls more easily thanks to access to Knock Off. However, Totodile carves a niche for itself in thanks to its access to Ice Punch, as this gives it a reliable way to hit bulky Grass-types like Foongus and Snivy. Totodile is also quite slow, meaning it can relatively easily be revenge killed by many Choice Scarf users like Doduo and Mienfoo. Lastly, Totodile struggles to break through bulky Water-types like Staryu and Mareanie, so teams that have one of these will easily be able to prevent its sweep.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance boosts both Totodile's Attack and Speed by one stage, allowing it to sweep once its checks have been weakened. Waterfall is Totodile's best STAB move, and thanks to Sheer Force, it can 2HKO or OHKO most of the metagame that does not resist it after a Dragon Dance boost, including some very bulky Pokemon like Spritzee after Stealth Rock. Ice Punch's main targets are bulky Grass-types like Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL, both of which are 2HKOed thanks to the Sheer Force boost even before a Dragon Dance. It also 2HKOes defensive Vullaby after a boost, which Totodile can't achieve with Waterfall. In addition, Ice Punch is Totodile's best way to hit Croagunk. Superpower hits Ferroseed, which otherwise walls Totodile completely, super effectively, 2HKOing it even through the Attack drop and before a Dragon Dance boost. Aqua Jet is an option to revenge kill frail or weakened faster threats like Gastly and Abra, as well as to take out faster Choice Scarf users after Totodile has set up, like Doduo and Drilbur, Drilbur. However, not running Superpower takes away Totodile's main niche of being able to take out most traditional checks to offensive Water-types, as it will be unable to dent Ferroseed. Crunch is an option to hit certain bulky Water-types like Frillish and Slowpoke as well as Wynaut very hard, but it has very limited coverage outside of these targets, and since they aren't very common, it is generally not worth a moveslot.

Set Details
========

Sheer Force is the main reason to use Totodile, as the boost it gives to Waterfall allows Totodile to be quite powerful, while the boost to Ice Punch means Totodile can beat bulky Grass-types. Eviolite is usually the item of choice, as it gives Totodile significantly more set up opportunities. For example, with an Eviolite, Totodile can take any one hit from Doduo and Abra, outside of Life Orb-boosted Energy Ball. A Life Orb can be used to achieve certain KOs. KOs; For for example, after a Dragon Dance and Stealth Rock damage, it lets Totodile KO Pumpkaboo and Foongus with Ice Punch and Ferroseed with Superpower. In addition, Life Orb Totodile KOes Snubbull and Spritzee after Stealth Rock and minor prior damage if their items have been removed by a teammate's Knock Off. However, a lack of Eviolite means Totodile struggles to find setup opportunities and leaves it easily revenge killed. The Speed EVs allow Totodile to hit 14 Speed, meaning it will outspeed the entire unboosted metagame after a Dragon Dance. The Attack EVs allow Totodile to deal as much damage as possible and, in combination with an Adamant nature, secure the 2HKO on Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL with Ice Punch and Ferroseed with Superpower. The leftover EVs are placed into Defense in order to raise it by one point. A Jolly nature can be used to outspeed 14 Speed Choice Scarf users like Modest Magnemite and Adamant Scraggy, but these aren't very common, so the extra damage from an Adamant nature is usually preferred. Jolly Totodile should usually run a Life Orb instead of an Eviolite, as it will otherwise miss out on the 2HKO on Foongus, Pumpkaboo-XL, and Ferroseed.

Usage Tips
========

Totodile should be preserved until the late-game in order to set up a Dragon Dance and sweep. Generally, Totodile should set up on Pokemon that can't hurt it much, such as passive Pokemon like Spritzee and Pokemon that don't have moves to hit it very hard, such as Staryu lacking Thunderbolt. It can also set up on Pokemon it forces out, like Mudbray and Diglett. Lastly, Totodile can set up on even powerful attackers in an emergency if it is holding an Eviolite, but this is not recommended, (AC) as it will be significantly weakened and thus easily revenge killed. Even though Totodile is able to break through some bulky Grass-types with Ice Punch, they should still be weakened before setting up with Totodile, as they can generally OHKO it if they take a hit, especially if Totodile is weakened. If Totodile is running Aqua Jet, it can be used to revenge kill some weakened threats, like Gastly and Doduo. Totodile should usually wait with setting up until its checks have been weakened or removed, as it will be able to sweep much more easily then. However, in some situations, it can be smart to set up with Totodile earlier in the game, as its coverage moves allow it to break through some checks it shares with a teammate like Corphish or Carvanha, allowing them to sweep more easily in the late game. Always avoid letting Totodile get statused, as a burn or paralysis can easily stop its sweep. In addition, it is often wise to avoid taking any damage, as a weakened Totodile will struggle to find set up setup opportunities. If Totodile is running Life Orb, faster Choice Scarf users and powerful priority users should be eliminated before attempting to sweep, as the lack of Eviolite means Totodile can easily be revenge killed.

Team Options
========

Totodile fits well on offensive Water-type cores with teammates like Carvanha, Corphish, and Staryu, as they can eliminate or weaken shared checks to allow one of them to sweep in the late-game. These Pokemon especially appreciate Totodile's ability to take out Grass-types like Foongus more consistently than most Water-types. Pokemon like Chinchou and Snivy can threaten Totodile's best answers in bulky Water-types, making them good teammates for it. Clerics like Spritzee and Snubbull can remove a burn or paralysis from Totodile, both of which can significantly cripple Totodile. it. Memento support from Cottonee or Diglett, Aurora Veil support from Alolan Vulpix, or Parting Shot support from Pancham can give Totodile a setup opportunity. This is especially useful if Totodile is holding a Life Orb, as it can make up for the lack of bulk. Diglett can also trap Chinchou and Croagunk, both of which Totodile struggles to take out, while Alolan Vulpix can help it by threatening Grass-types. Other checks to Grass-types such as Vullaby, Doduo, and Ponyta can weaken or remove Pokemon like Foongus and Pumpkaboo-XL in order to make Totodile's sweep easier. Entry hazard support from Ferroseed or Onix can break Sturdy and weaken the opponent's team, allowing Totodile to clean up more easily in the late game. late-game. Knock Off users like the aforementioned Corphish, Snivy, and Ferroseed, as well as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Dark-types like Pawniard, can remove Eviolites from defensive Pokemon, crippling them and opening up the way for Totodile to sweep. Ground-types like Mudbray, Drilbur, and the aforementioned Diglett are good teammates for Totodile, as they can check and take out Electric-types, which threaten Totodile. Dark-types like Vullaby and Carvanha can threaten Pokemon that can prevent Totodile's sweep, like Slowpoke, Frillish, and Wynaut, and many can provide Knock Off support. Certain Dark-types, like Pawniard and Alolan Grimer, can also Pursuit trap Pokemon like Abra to make Totodile's sweep easier.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

2/2 v good
Thanks we're done here.

With that I'm pretty sure my final SM LC analysis is done unless revamps happen :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)