Status
Not open for further replies.
Combusken
Edit: Oh, Yama then
Edit2: Busken was nommed so Busken, if I can't vote for that then Yama

Last edited:

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
combusken had to get nerfed twice it was that influential.

e: lol thought busken was a nom. going with yama then

Last edited:

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
2 things,

1 Combusken isnt a nom

other is hariyama should be 10 since its been such a solid offensive and defensive pivot for the majority of the tier, esp during firespam which was one of the most influential parts of nu imo

2 things,

1 Combusken isnt a nom

other is hariyama should be 10 since its been such a solid offensive and defensive pivot for the majority of the tier, esp during firespam which was one of the most influential parts of nu imo
neither was tauros, we still put that at 6

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
neither was tauros, we still put that at 6
Voting for Tauros IMO if I can't vote for it this cycle, I vote for feraligatr

eh fuck it

Nominating Tauros

What effect did Tauros have on the metagame?

As long as it has been in NU, Tauros has been one of the best wallbreakers in the tier. It is a solid revenge killer due to its stellar Speed tier and coverage. It helped cause the rise of defensive threats such as Bronzor and warranted a suspect test due to all of its good qualities.

In what main roles was Tauros used?

Tauros has one main set; a Life Orb Wallbreaker set with Sheer Force. However, this set has many coverage options; Rock Climb, Earthquake, Fire Blast, Iron Head / Tail, and Zen Headbutt stand out. Its insane coverage and movepool, along with good speed tier, allow it to be a great corebreaker and revenge killer in NU.

What caused it to have a significant impact?

The main things that have caused Tauros to have a large impact on the metagame are its Speed tier, which outspeeds threats such as Pyroar and Scyther, along with its coverage and Sheer Force. Its ability to threaten so many mons is one of the main reasons why every team has to have a solid Normal resist or way to revenge kill it, such as Rhydon or Regirock, or Choice Scarf users such as Rotom or Jynx.

How do/did you deal with this Pokemon in NU?

Many of the Fighting-types in the tier, such as Gurdurr and Hariyama, can take a hit and KO it back with their STAB. Normal resists such as Steelix, Rhydon, and Regirock are good defensive checks, but even they can be 2HKOd by Tauros' coverage. Bronzor and Mega Audino can take anything Tauros tries to hit it with and cripple it. As a result, it is important to have a Pokemon faster than Tauros on most teams because the best way to deal with it is to revenge kill it.

Nominating Combusken

What effect did Combusken have on the metagame?

Combusken made it's mark in the tier first in nu tier XY where it was eventually met with a ban. This was due to its ability to easily pass speed and attack boosts to threats due to its ability speed boost along with access to the moves bulk up and swords dance while still retaining decent bulk with eviolite and max attack. The most common variant was bulk up due to it's incredible synergy with calm mind stored power xatu, however most teams were centered around combusken with other outs if their opponent had counter play to xatu. This included bulk up into the likes of feraligatr and kangaskhan. This strategy ran the tier for a while and there was even a gentlemen's agreement against it in nupl before it was banned as it was cheap and very easy to win with. Once combusken left the tier returned to normal until smogon implemented a baton pass policy eliminating speed pass + other boost, allowing combusken to return. For a while it was a good mon with the common set of life orb fire blast focus blast baton pass protect as it was a strong breaker, especially against offense and it was able to pass speed to other teammates when it was forced out. However people eventually realised it was still good as a pure baton passer and teams were once again created revolving around it passing into calm mind stored power xatu with other outs such as malamar. Once again, this was incredibly cheap and easy and after community uproar a ban on speed boost + baton pass was implemented in nu. While combusken remained nu it was significantly nerfed as even it's lo attacking set lost the ability to pass speed once finished breaking. The pokemon is still viable but nothing compared to the monster that terrorized xy nu and had a lasting impact on oras.

In what main roles was [Pokemon] used?

• Bulk Up + Speed passer - Usually Protect/Bulk Up/Baton Pass/Sub or Wisp
  • Speed passer - Protect/Baton Pass/Substitute/Fire Punch or Wisp
  • LO Attacker - Fire Blast/Focus Blast/Protect/Baton Pass
  • Swords Dancer - Swords Dance/Flare Blitz/Low Kick or Sky Uppercut/Protect or Thunderpunch

What caused it to have a significant impact?

It's excellent ability in speed boost combined with the moves baton pass and bulk up or swords dance, along with passable bulk with eviolite. Decent special attack also made its lo set a threat due to its high base power moves. The SD set also benefits from the high base power move flare blitz however it struggles in the secondary attack power as low kick is inconsistent in power and sky uppercut is relatively weak.

How do/did you deal with this Pokemon in NU?

There wasn't much counterplay in the tier to the XY bulk up chicken. Some answer included haze + dragon tail dragalgae however this was worn down easily enough especially if the combusken user ran wisp. One common strategy was hard switching to swords dance feraligatr when combusken entered and boosting along side it with swords dance. This was normally only a one time answer though and if the feraligatr came in when combusken had more then one bulk up under its belt it lost the match up as the combusken user passed straight to xatu and 2hkod the gatr from there. Encore liepard was also another answer but that mon is very frail so it was very inconsistent in checking what it wanted to. The special set was normally answered by mantine and hariyama with hariyama being the more consistent of the two due to hp electric being a rare coverage move they ran. The sd set was very hard to answer once it actually did get a swords dance up, however it often struggled to do so due it's bulk not being great. Mantine and pelipper were answer however they lost to thunderpunch, normally generally bulky mons like samurott, poli and mesprit were required to beat it.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well Combusken is winning by a mile so I'm willing to make an exception...

Combusken is our #10 most influential Pokemon on the NU metagame!

I'm quite busy at the moment so I'm going to leave this thread open so people can discussion this top 10 list and whether they agree with it or not. Thanks everyone for participating!

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
#1:
#2:
#3:
#4:
#5:
#6:
#7:
#8:
#9:
#10:
For reference, here's the full list. I'm actually mostly fine with the list, but I bet most people would disagree with the order. Like, at worst Mesprit has been above average throughout the tier, but it hasn't become truly dominant until lately and I disagree that's enough to warrant it a spot at #1. Additionally, Sceptile was more dominating in its prime and for much longer than Tauros, so I'd disagree with Tauros being higher.

It's all mostly just a matter of interpretation, though. People will have different experiences that make them feel different ways etc.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
how the heck did Jynx not make it .-.

I think I disagree with ranking Rhydon just because I didn't find it to be a centralizing mon, I just found it to be a really good stealth rocker that just so happened to check a lot of top tier threats, (kinda like how I feel about Golem in PU). Also Mesprit and Sawk could probably switch places imo, kinda like what Disjunction said, it only became dominant recently. However, Sawk remained a very scary threat throughout its entirety in NU. Idk how I feel about Tauros being so high up... it just doesn't feel right considering Sceptile and Sneasel are below it and how Jynx isn't ranked.

anyways rip Jynx ;w; you are top 10 in my heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)