Tournament Tier Shift Conquest [Won by MAMP!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
mfw won http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-363104156 gg Kingslayer2779

Dragonair
This was a really good win condition in this particular match since it was able to gain a ton of bulk, power, and Speed. Marvel Scale + RestTalk sort of 6-0'd King, but honestly it is a really good setup sweeper since it has bulk thanks to its combination of Eviolite, Marvel Scale, and the TS boost.

Floette
While it didn't do too much in this fight, I feel like it works in the similar vein of Florges in UU in that it has decent special bulk and can use its typing to its advantage. It wasn't as threatening as Dragonair, so I feel like it is a bit meh overall.

Phione
Basically a poor man's Manaphy since it gets most of the moves Manaphy has but without Tail Glow and Calm Mind, which makes Phione so much more worse than Manaphy especially when they have the same stat spread in TS.

The other three are either decent in TS or I feel don't deserve an in-depth analysis :o

Last edited:
wanna thank peef for giving me gems like furret, watchog, and pikachu pop-star like we arranged prior to the tour.

Seriously though literally nothing i could do with basically 2 empty slots, i was hoping they would provide some sort of pressure to keep set up off the rest of the team but they were literally useless. My nfes were Dusclops and Silgoo, which i was hoping would counter his lucario and whatever nfes he brought to beat the regen core i got. Sadly there isn't much to answer resttalk Dragonair in the nfe realms, as soon as i saw that i knew i had pretty much lost at team preview, since furret and pikachu are totally incapable of pressuring it.

Nfe-analysis

Dusclops- is bad in reg ts, but i needed it to counter sd lucario

Silgoo- pretty solid in reg ts but it had a horrible matchup in my game

Frogadier- is pretty amazing, almost greninja, which was banned from OU. Just lacks some speed, a little bit of attack, and extransensory. Otherwise its greninja.

Electabuzz-is pretty great pivot that ts players have known about for awhile.

Everything else i got was obviously bad or good in OU iirc.

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-363207391 Won vs Sobi, GG

Analysis:

Lucario, Tornadus, Durant:
All proven threats in the meta, not going to bother analyzing.
Probopass: Complete trash, no reason not to use Bronzong
Magmar: Decent, but probably outclassed by its evo as it gets thunderbolt, so I'll just speak to magmortar: 140 Base SpA is really nice with access to fire blast, thunderbolt, and focus blast. Vital Spirit is good in TS as combined with fire blast, it counters Amoongus. If you really want speed and some bulk, magmar is an option, but electabuzz is probably better in most circumstances due to volt switch.
Swadloon: I really only brought this because I needed sticky web to slow down his magneton. It did its job, and can function as a lead with magic coat, but its pretty bad.

Quick Opponent Analysis:

Magneton: Proven trapper, great in TS
Machoke: Should have been illegal but oh well, definitely has its niche with bulk up and dynamic punch
Misdreavus: Probably one of the most underused mons in TS. With 80/80/105 bulk combined with eviolite, will o wisp, taunt, pain split, and ghost typing, thing thing can do work. Also gets access to nasty plot for offensive sets.

Edit: Probably not the place for this but I was theorymonning and thought that Misdreavus and Mega Audino would make a great core. MAudino takes dark type attacks (Including knock off), ghost type attacks, and can pass wishes to Misdreavus, which takes poison attacks and can spread Will O Wisp. Both can also set up and sweep. Someone pls try it sounds great

Last edited:
Yeah, turns out having good pokemon is the only reason I won. Who knew? also not getting haxed
My thoughts:
Raticate is surpisingly good. Guts gives it 50% power, as well as facade, and it gets priority+decent coverage
Linoone is great, obviously. Maybe band is better than bellyspeed? I didn't get to set up either battle. Memento or screens, I suppose. Its also fast even without prio, so it can smack around resists with coverage before they hit.
Swadloon seems really bulky for a webs setter, and might make up for the fact that webs is a mediocre playstyle. Maybe? Somewhat?
Ninetales is seriously not that good- without sun its weak, and with sun its just as bad because it has no boosts.
Lickilicky has bulk, but cant hit back very hard despite its boosting and is too slow to be good.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-363207391 Won vs Sobi, GG

Analysis:

Lucario, Tornadus, Durant:
All proven threats in the meta, not going to bother analyzing.
Probopass: Complete trash, no reason not to use Bronzong
Magmar: Decent, but probably outclassed by its evo as it gets thunderbolt, so I'll just speak to magmortar: 140 Base SpA is really nice with access to fire blast, thunderbolt, and focus blast. Vital Spirit is good in TS as combined with fire blast, it counters Amoongus. If you really want speed and some bulk, magmar is an option, but electabuzz is probably better in most circumstances due to volt switch.
Swadloon: I really only brought this because I needed sticky web to slow down his magneton. It did its job, and can function as a lead with magic coat, but its pretty bad.

Quick Opponent Analysis:

Magneton: Proven trapper, great in TS
Machoke: Should have been illegal but oh well, definitely has its niche with bulk up and dynamic punch
Misdreavus: Probably one of the most underused mons in TS. With 80/80/105 bulk combined with eviolite, will o wisp, taunt, pain split, and ghost typing, thing thing can do work. Also gets access to nasty plot for offensive sets.

Edit: Probably not the place for this but I was theorymonning and thought that Misdreavus and Mega Audino would make a great core. MAudino takes dark type attacks (Including knock off), ghost type attacks, and can pass wishes to Misdreavus, which takes poison attacks and can spread Will O Wisp. Both can also set up and sweep. Someone pls try it sounds great
Isn't Machoke banned? It is tiered. I mean, it isn't listed in the op, but it should be.
Misdreavus is, however, and if you hadn't won regardless sobi would have to refight.

Won vs. InfernapeTropius11's infamous Plusle/Dustox core, gg

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-363419353

EDIT: Here's the M. squad:
Megazard (Chinchou) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 208 SpA / 52 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

Mandy (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Marcy (Grotle) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb
- Swords Dance

Mike (Mightyena) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Yawn
- Iron Tail
- Fire Fang

Megan (Medicham-Mega) (F) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Mason (Machamp) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Atk / 80 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch

And here's my assessment of the team members:
Manaphy is a threat, obviously. I don't think I need explain any further lol.
Mega Medicham is again, obviously very powerful. While I didn't opt for it, a regular Medicham might also work due to the TS boosts, but the Speed is really nice.
Machamp is pretty broken cool thanks to the came-changing ability to do massive damage while racking up confusion turns, and it has access to a powerful Knock Off to take care of NFEs. After the minor boosts, I'd say it might be worth using over Pokemon like Conk, but it relies on luck to be especially dangerous, so its a toss-up.
Mightyena is hot garbage. Its stats are abysmal, even after the boosts (when you get +20 in every stat and your highest is Attack at a spicy 110, you fucked up). Moxie is kind of cool, but there are MUCH better users of it. I was able to pull off the surprise Scarf set, but your movepool is completely barren outside of STAB and a few coverage moves. Don't bother.
Chinchou is surprisingly alright. I stole it from my previous opponent Megazard, and it has pretty good bulk after Eviolite and TS boosts. The real draw is its ability to completely shut-down BoltBeam coverage, but it also has good utility in Heal Bell, Twave, Scald and slow Volt Switch. The RestTalk set just got a PU analysis, so even without the boosts, Chincou has its use outside of LC!
Grotle was tailor-made for my needs, but its actually not too bad on its own merits. Ignoring the fact that its offensive movepool is horrendous, it has Synthesis, Stealth Rock and Swords Dance. Its bulk is VERY solid even before Eviolite, to the point where Mega Swampert's Ice Punch doesn't 2HKO after Rocks even if Eviolite was knocked off. 95/105/85 will allow you take on a variety of threats after the Eviolite boost, so while it faces competition from a LOT of Grass types, it shouldn't entirely be ignored thanks to its unique niches (like Stealth Rock). Give it a chance!

Last edited:

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Unsurprisingly I lost. Hax was a bit of a factor (and me forgetting Ice Punch on MegaSwamp for... Rain Dance twice) but overall I doubt it mattered.
My amateur analysis of mons cuz i'm not good at TS:
Plusle: I doubt this has a place on any serious team. MMane and Jolteon are better fast electrics tbh. Even Electabuzz
Dustox: This thing gets 120 more BST and still only has 505 BST. It's terrible in every sense of the word, my main hope with it was to get a surprise Toxic off which it did remarkably well (praise Shield Dust) It doesn't even get Sleep Powder to abuse Sleep Powder + QD like viv. Outclassed by viv or volc in the qd role, everything as a defogger, everything as a toxic user, everything as a tailwind user it has zero niche and is bad.
MSwamp: Rain was so good SS was banned, so this is now the only legal swift swimmer and it's still decent, not much to say really.
Mantine: Reasonably specially bulky and has Haze which is neat for checking special attackers such as non-HP Electric Manaphy. Lacking recovery outside of RestTalk sucks tho.
Sliggoo: Rly cool, unfortunately dropped to crit but the CurseTalk set seems cool if you can remove fairys.
Fletchling: lol its a burd he had 2 fighting types that's the only reason I used it talon and fletchinder are like a gazillion times better

gg jajoken we should play more often

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-364689636
Won

Most of the mons I got were either complete trash or were already well known and used in TS.

Delphox:
This thing doesn't get Focus Blast. With a middling Speed of 114 and very mediocre stats on the Physical side, don't expect this to perform well, at all. A Magician set with a resistance berry could be neat, but Blaze is almost always the better ability.

Dewgong:
IIRC Dewgong is a blacklisted phrase in the OM room. The fact that my opponent had a Water Absorber made Dewgong completely irrelevant for almost all of the game, so it's hard to form a good opinion on this. That said, it does seem to make for a good support mon with decent bulk (110/100/115) backed by a somewhat quick Encore with 90 base speed. Just watch out for its bad defensive typing.

Talonflame:
I'm pretty sure that this has been tried in regular TS already. It took some hits that I didn't expect it to, allowing me to avoid having to sacrifice mons to Electabuzz and win the match.

Virizion:
Another mon that is already known in TS. I'm pretty sure the set I was using(Physdef SD+ChestoRest) wasn't the best but whatever.

Shieldon:
/ds Steel Type, Ice Beam, NFE
While trying to figure out a good check for Jumpluff from the pool of NFEs, I did some calcs and used /ds very liberally. Among one of the failed experiments was HP Ice/Pursuit Honedge, which I deemed to be a complete waste of a teamslot. Eventually I just plugged in the above search and it gave me Shieldon, which was perhaps the true MVP of this. With great bulk (50/138/108 before Eviolite) and unexpected utility, it did its part and more.

Quilladin:
Quilladin is a great Spikes setter and physical wall. I chose it simply to beat Tauros (Avoids the 3HKO from Rock Climb and the 2HKO from Fire Blast with a Physically Defensive spread), but I needed it to stop Politoed from dismantling my team with Focus Blast, Scald, and HP Flying. While a very early Scald burn prevented it from reaching its full potential, with support from something like Mega Audino, this could be a massive annoyance. Sadly, most hazard removers force it out by virtue of either straight up 2HKOing it or resisting all its moves, so it can't really shine until the mid to late-game, when those hazard removers are gone.

Last edited:
Won vs. Maleovex in a gg (with a little help from Hustle misses)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-365248303

EDIT:
Sonic (Electrode) @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Signal Beam

Knuckles (Zangoose) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Espio (Skrelp) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Blaze (Espeon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Morning Sun

Storm (Talonflame) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn

Wave (Murkrow) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
Here's my thoughts on the squad:

Talonflame is a god but I misplayed and sac'd it without it doing anything. Whoops. Its good though, I swear.
Espeon, while perhaps not the best Magic Bouncer or Pyschic type, is still pretty good. I think its best characteristic is reaching the 115 Speed tier after UU boosts. My opponent had one as well, and the screens support it provided was nearly the end of me.
Zangoose, not going to lie, seems really good in Tier Shift. Potentially! Still, never thought I'd say that. Its meh 90 Speed becomes a solid 105 (Mega Pinsir level), while its good 115 Attack becomes a stellar 130. With Toxic Boost, it basically becomes non-TS Ursaring except with a lot more Speed. As a Normal-type wallbreaker, I can see Zangoose having promise -- try it out!
Electrode sucks. It would have put in work this game but I overpredicted turn 1 and lost it to Volcanion. On the bright side, it can outspeed Mega Alakazam, but with much better Electrics out there, Electrodes pitiful base 100 Special Attack isn't going to cut it, even with blazing Speed.
Skrelp...might be useful? Hard to tell. I absolutely NEEDED it this game because one of my slots had to check Azu and Volc and the other had to check Psychics. To that end, it was very useful -- it lives +6 Knock Off from Azumaril and tanks both of its STABs, along with managing Volcanion...unless it had Earth Power or HP Electric, which I just had to hope my opponent didn't have. Plus, Adaptablity STAB coming off of an okay base 80 gives it some offensive presence. Maybe check it out as a cute tank and Azu check.
Murkrow is outclassed by Honchkrow offensively and Vullaby defensively. Its defenses look god-awful, but with investment and Eviolite it can Pursuit trap Psychics pretty easily. For my purposes, it worked well, and priority Roost + Twave is nice, but I don't know if I'd use it on a serious TS team.

Also good lord watch out for Scarf Zweilous I almost got blown away.

Last edited:

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Lost 1-0 to a sliggoo which just rekt my team af.
LaprasMan noticing I had no physical attackers, sly af

Mons Analysis~

Staravia - used twice, very underwhelming. I was using a banded set which kinda put in some work game 1 but acted as fodder game 2. Was useful game 1 because got 4 mons weak to ground where my opp nearly had ground mono. Overall, meh.

Quilladin - didn't get to see much usage but seemed nice when used. Would've been nice absorber of focus blasts but that didn't come to mind. I'm an idiot.

Electabuzz - im p sure everyone was running this and it's known as a decent threat.

Klang - why did I think special poliwrath didn't get vacuum wave. Well oops, seemed solid if I knew this however. Derp.

Dewott - mainly to cteam lapras but put in a lot of work. That water/flying coverage was to die for and it just worked out so nicely. Probably not too useful against standard teams but it's something to try I guess.

Thanks Peef for hosting this tour, I enjoyed TS for the first time so there we go.
Good luck everyone who's left, and screw sliggoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)