Thread Information Saved

Hey, I don't usually post here, but I think this is a reasonable suggestion. When making a new thread or editing a post, is there a way of making it so that it remembers what has been written, if say there is a computer / Internet error or w/e. Basically like a cache that remembers what has been written in a thread or edited into a post, and gives you the option to "restore from last saved" or something like that.

It's probably a stupid suggestion, but it's incredibly beneficial for when people are putting in GP checks ar writing up analyses or large posts, etc.

That's not exactly what I mean. Yes that is a workaround, and is definitely helpful, but is there a way of doing something like that automatically, which I've seen done on other forums before.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
I've always had it automatically save for me after a while, dunno the technical stuff behind it though.

I guess use Notepad++ or something?

From my experience with Xenforo (writing our vgc garchomp analysis and then closing out of the tab), Xenforo seems to save whatever you have written automatically. Just click on the "Create Thread" button again and it should be there up until you got your first 502 error code.

Editting posts are a bit trickier. I don't think xenforo will really save anything. I might just get into the habit of ctrl+a and ctrl+cing before you submit a change

From my experience with Xenforo (writing our vgc garchomp analysis and then closing out of the tab), Xenforo seems to save whatever you have written automatically. Just click on the "Create Thread" button again and it should be there up until you got your first 502 error code.

Editting posts are a bit trickier. I don't think xenforo will really save anything. I might just get into the habit of ctrl+a and ctrl+cing before you submit a change
Editing is an issue, but I've found that with CTRL + A and CTRL + C , it is helpful, but if the computer freezes or turns off or for whatever issue, you can't still past what you've copied.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If there's no way to implement something like this, I suggest working in Google Docs: it is free for anyone and saves automatically. The only problem is the ` apostrophes, but you can do a ctrl+f of them and replace them with the normal ones. It might be a bit more work, but it's worth it if you want to be able to save your things periodically.

Reactions: trc

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
More specifically it's Google Drive now. Just to eliminate any confusion :-p
Also an advantage is that if you're co-writing an article with someone you can just keep it all in one shared doc. And since the doc editor on google drive is pretty much MS Word, I'm sure you can find a way to turn curly apostrophes off. I haven't looked for it myself but I wouldn't be surprised if it's there.

Reactions: trc

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Another alternative would be: piratepad.net/ep/pad/newpad
Copy that into your web address and it will create a new pad, as you may be able to tell. It can be helpful for group writing because each user's text is coloured. While it may not have all of the tools that Word has such as formatting, the rest can be done on here. Also, there is a button to remove highlighting over text so it doesn't become a nuisance. It's not quite as private as google docs but imo it's got a better layout and is easier to use. The chat is almost much better on there than on google docs.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
More specifically it's Google Drive now. Just to eliminate any confusion :-p
Also an advantage is that if you're co-writing an article with someone you can just keep it all in one shared doc. And since the doc editor on google drive is pretty much MS Word, I'm sure you can find a way to turn curly apostrophes off. I haven't looked for it myself but I wouldn't be surprised if it's there.
tools -> preferences -> uncheck "Use smart quotes"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)