Things in Pokémon which really hit you by surprise

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh, speaking of moves we didn't know had secondary effects, Focus Blast. Who else knew it had a 10% chance to lower Special Defense? I didn't until it happened in a random showdown match last year. I guess this one is kind of understandable, I mean the move never hits anyway...

Chansey and Mantyke learn Earthquake, stuff like Scizor and Deoxys don't(come on Game Freak)

Oh, speaking of moves we didn't know had secondary effects, Focus Blast. Who else knew it had a 10% chance to lower Special Defense? I didn't until it happened in a random showdown match last year. I guess this one is kind of understandable, I mean the move never hits anyway...
Same with Stone Edge. If it weren't for the description, we'd never know it had a higher crit ratio:P

OHKO moves not affecting Pokémon of a higher level. I kept running away from wilds that could learn OHKO moves because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to OHKO them or that the move would miss!

OHKO moves not affecting Pokémon of a higher level. I kept running away from wilds that could learn OHKO moves because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to OHKO them or that the move would miss!
Wait, that's actually in the game??? O_O Excuse me while I feel like the noob I am right now. *cries in a corner*

Well, snooping around datamine on dex entries....

Others have pretty humongous statures like legendary Pokemon, but...
UB04 - Slash, Kamitsurugi/Kartana is as tall as an Eevee. Just half as tall as Celebi. I was like wat....

... wait, now I actually have a weird mind image of samurai Kartana riding Eevee.

Well, snooping around datamine on dex entries....

Others have pretty humongous statures like legendary Pokemon, but...
UB04 - Slash, Kamitsurugi/Kartana is as tall as an Eevee. Just half as tall as Celebi. I was like wat....

... wait, now I actually have a weird mind image of samurai Kartana riding Eevee.
I came here to say this, but you beat me to it. And its Dex entry says that witnesses saw it take down a gigantic steel tower with one slash... quite an impressive feat when its blade arms are about a foot long. I could see it leaving a big gash, but actually slicing it down? That's a stretch.

I came here to say this, but you beat me to it. And its Dex entry says that witnesses saw it take down a gigantic steel tower with one slash... quite an impressive feat when its blade arms are about a foot long. I could see it leaving a big gash, but actually slicing it down? That's a stretch.
It's a VERY long slash.

But on the other hand Cosmogem's weight (nearly 1000 kg) and how tiny it is. It's definitely the densest Pokemon...

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sora taught Kartana the art of building slicing. It's much easier to do with actual blades than a giant key.

In unrelated news, I now have a good and subtle nickname for Kartana.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this was already a thing, but I just accidentally rejected to get a Pokemon Egg in Paniola Ranch and the breeder kept the Egg for herself.

I thought you had to take every single Egg you got.

I'm not sure if this was already a thing, but I just accidentally rejected to get a Pokemon Egg in Paniola Ranch and the breeder kept the Egg for herself.

I thought you had to take every single Egg you got.
This has been a thing since gen 2 when the concept of eggs and breeding were introduced.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I'm surprised that in Sun and Moon, every Pokemon had walking and running animations, albeit unused.
They all look like they have a lot of work put into them, as most of them look very physically and biologically convincing.

I'm surprised that in Sun and Moon, every Pokemon had walking and running animations, albeit unused.
They all look like they have a lot of work put into them, as most of them look very physically and biologically convincing.
Until you look at Venusaur. It looks like it's going to trip and damage itself soon :P

I feel like that could have been a failsafe if someone hacked a different Pokémon in pokerides. Or it could be that they initially wanted us to be able to ride on all Pokémon, but scrapped the idea.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I feel like that could have been a failsafe if someone hacked a different Pokémon in pokerides. Or it could be that they initially wanted us to be able to ride on all Pokémon, but scrapped the idea.
That's possible, because the rather accurate Chinese leak said we could ride on almost every Pokemon.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
That little dot on Celesteela's right arm, just above Solgaleo's head, is Cosmoem. It weighs the same as Celesteela. Pokémon densities really are all over the place.

Dhelmise's size really surprised me too. In the chart this picture is cut from, it appears to be a little over one meter tall. I'd guess the chart's creator read or thought "3 foot 9", which seems a fitting size for Dhelmise. It's an anchor, anchors aren't that big...

However, Dhelmise is 3.9 meters tall. Not quite Celesteela-size, but it's taller than Xurkitree. Taller than most one-storey residential houses. The span of its anchor is wider than most road lanes. From handle-tip to handle-tip, its wheel is almost three meters in diameter. Not only is Dhelmise large, I think it's one of the biggest Pokémon in comparison to how big it "feels" when you see it in artwork. It would make sense for it to be roughly one meter tall, not four.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)