The World Cup of Pokemon VI - Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
man id be so mad if i were on la...

14-10 not advancing over a 13-11 team doesnt make sense at all. idk any sport where the team with the better record doesnt advance to playoffs
Baseball actually. Often the third placed team in the AL East has about 10 games or so over the winner of the AL central, yet they miss out. Not saying I agree with the system but letting you know that it happens all the time in almost all the major American sports (all the time in the NHL and sometimes in the NFL - the 7-9 Seahawks making the playoffs for instance or the 8-8 Chargers getting in over the 11-5 Patriots a few years ago).

Heck, we don't even have to go back 2 years, look at the Seahawks lol. I understand that this doesn't mean that this is a good system, but please don't act like this is something really rare in the fields of competition.
the concept of divisions and therefore "bad teams making it over good teams" doesn't really apply to this format since there's only one division. never will you find a team winning a division unless it has the best w/l record (except for maybe hockey)

Baseball actually. Often the third placed team in the AL East has about 10 games or so over the winner of the AL central, yet they miss out. Not saying I agree with the system but letting you know that it happens all the time in almost all the major American sports (all the time in the NHL and sometimes in the NFL - the 7-9 Seahawks making the playoffs for instance or the 8-8 Chargers getting in over the 11-5 Patriots a few years ago).
as i said earlier, there are no divisions in wcop so i dont really see why that's a valid reason for a worse team advancing over a better team (at least record wise). since you brought up baseball, feel free to point me to any instance where a team won their division despite having a worse w/l percentage

wcop is essentially one big division. if there were multiple divisions, then a "bad team" making it is acceptable imo (again it could just be me being american and used to this way, and also im not saying i agree with it)

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
the concept of divisions and therefore "bad teams making it over good teams" doesn't really apply to this format since there's only one division. never will you find a team winning a division unless it has the best w/l record (except for maybe hockey)

as i said earlier, there are no divisions in wcop so i dont really see why that's a valid reason for a worse team advancing over a better team (at least record wise). since you brought up baseball, feel free to point me to any instance where a team won their division despite having a worse w/l percentage

wcop is essentially one big division. if there were multiple divisions, then a "bad team" making it is acceptable imo (again it could just be me being american and used to this way, and also im not saying i agree with it)
My argument wasn't about division winners, it was saying that undeserved teams make it into the playoffs far too often in American sports. As we speak, the AL Central leading Cleveland Indians (playing in what is the weakest division in baseball most likely) have a worse record then the Rays and the Angels, yet neither of these teams would make the playoffs if the season ended today. Even in basketball I've seen 30something win teams making the playoffs over teams with wins in the mid 40's (I'm aware it's due to conferences but it's still disgusting). Point being that I don't necessarily agree with this current system, but that at least in real sports this happens all the time. Also on the topic of divisions, the overall standings are done in one big group but the disparity in points are directy impacted by how one did in their own division in relation to everyone else (some 2-1 players getting 5 points instead of 4 for example). So yeah I guess it could be argued that in the WCOP's current form it's a lot like some American sport in quite a few ways.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
It sucks for LA, yeah. Cool guys there and it truly sucks for them. But we can chalk it up as a win that Rey did not make the playoffs.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
I think the only fair solution is for canada to forfeit and allow LA through....agreed?

man id be so mad if i were on la...

14-10 not advancing over a 13-11 team doesnt make sense at all. idk any sport where the team with the better record doesnt advance to playoffs

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
yeah i think stone is scared of canada's might... it's ok though :]

Yeah, I am really scared of a Jackie Chan wannabe, two lovers, Ryan Seacrest wannabe..and the evil villian from fast and furious. GTFO...I just want you guys to be disqualified cause your brackets were rigged and LA is a much more deserving team then you.

LATINO PRIDE LETS GET IT

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright and with that, the first round is over! Thanks everyone for getting most of the battles done the last day :)

-Mind- is getting the activity win over -PkPedro-
husk vs scarecrow will be voided, I did not hear from either player, so they will both finish 0-2 and will both receive 1 point.

It is incredible how much the standings changed down the home stretch, but here is your top 8 teams going into Round 2:

1) Oceania
2) USA Metro
3) Canada
4) USA East
5) France
5) Europe
7) USA West
8) Brazil

USA West and Brazil are tied in points, but since USA West has more wins, they will get the higher seed. Europe and France both have the same number of points and the same record, and they are 1-1 head to head.

That means the only way to settle this tie is through a tie breaker match. If the captains of France and Europe could PM me a representative to complete the tie breaker match ASAP, that would be appreciated. I want this done sooner rather than later so we do not hold up the rest of the tournament!

To all Captains: please use this time to submit to me your round 2 roster. If you do not, I will just assume it is the same as the first round roster.

Finally, to people complaining about this points system: I understand and admit it is not a perfect system. However, it is not completely unreasonable either. Four teams finished at 14-10, and if Asia won their last battle, another four teams would have finished at 13-11. Do you know how messy it would have been to sort out those tiebreaks if we went solely by wins and then tie breaker battles? Or if we used some other system like head to head or most 3-0s or whatever. Fact of the matter is, this system manages to separate the teams. Again, it isn't perfect, and I actually will probably rework it for next year somehow, but this is what we have for now and everyone has to play by it. Sorry it didn't work out for some teams.

Looking forward, I am excited for Round 2 and hopefully this can be Canada's year to not choke yea!!

Also huge thanks to Earthworm who has helped me out with hosting bigtime this year. You the boss.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
asia went down in flames RIP

i can only hope that canada follows suit..

loki has foreseen it

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
1) Oceania
2) USA Metro
3) Canada
4) USA East
5) France
5) Europe
7) USA West
8) Brazil

PREDICTIONS...

France beats Europe in the tiebreak.

Oceania vs Brazil
Metro vs US West
Canada vs Europe
East vs France

Canada vs West - Krack vs Phil tiebreaker, Phil Chokes
East vs Oceania - As if it wasn't obvious, Pana gets 6-0'd, Golden Sun gets lucky with 6 crits and still loses, Heist loses in a nailbiter 4-0, which is the closest any Ocn guy will come...and Sheeps gets subbed in and Yondie beats Worms again for good measure.

East vs - Canada - Well this will be a blood bath. Iconic will offer teammate Yondie a BJ if Yondie goes easy, Yondie accepts and only uses 3 pokemon. Unfortunately Iconic isn't good and loses 3-0. Jackal...is better off using a RBY team since that's all he's good at and ends up losing. Atticus hasn't won a match and won't vs us. Krack will lose to Lamppost due to a Onyx sweep. Wilson isn't good anyway, not a threat. Yeah just a 8-0 win no worries. Oh, and Franky for once doesn't get hax, which is also the biggest miracle in Pokemon and this allows Nails to stall him out with Cosmic Power Rapid Spin claydol.

I will then give my speech as we are champions, oh...and France would have been our toughest competition this year as predicted by Jabba, unfortunately he wouldn't be 100% correct

1) Oceania
2) USA Metro
3) Canada
4) USA East
5) France
5) Europe
7) USA West
8) Brazil

PREDICTIONS...

France beats Europe in the tiebreak.

Oceania vs Brazil
Metro vs US West
Canada vs Europe
East vs France

Canada vs West - Krack vs Phil tiebreaker, Phil Chokes
East vs Oceania - As if it wasn't obvious, Pana gets 6-0'd, Golden Sun gets lucky with 6 crits and still loses, Heist loses in a nailbiter 4-0, which is the closest any Ocn guy will come...and Sheeps gets subbed in and Yondie beats Worms again for good measure.

East vs - Canada - Well this will be a blood bath. Iconic will offer teammate Yondie a BJ if Yondie goes easy, Yondie accepts and only uses 3 pokemon. Unfortunately Iconic isn't good and loses 3-0. Jackal...is better off using a RBY team since that's all he's good at and ends up losing. Atticus hasn't won a match and won't vs us. Krack will lose to Lamppost due to a Onyx sweep. Wilson isn't good anyway, not a threat. Yeah just a 8-0 win no worries. Oh, and Franky for once doesn't get hax, which is also the biggest miracle in Pokemon and this allows Nails to stall him out with Cosmic Power Rapid Spin claydol.

I will then give my speech as we are champions, oh...and France would have been our toughest competition this year as predicted by Jabba, unfortunately he wouldn't be 100% correct
Stone Cold used Future Sight.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I hope i win...

good luck to all in the playoffs, go west :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)