The UU Theorymon Project - See Post #81!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
MELOETTA: Normal/Ghost typing
METAGROSS: New ability - Analytic
FERALIGATR: New move - Belly Drum*
MEGA-ABOMASNOW: New move - Icicle Crash

WILD CARD: Prankster Shiftry

*If we're allowed to vote for our own. If not, Tough Claws Feraligatr.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Analytic Metagross

Tough claws Feraligatr

Psychic/Fairy Meloetta

Spore Mega Abomasnow

I guess the Klinklang for wc

I'll count the votes for this past round over the weekend, I'm admittedly just not up for it right now. Updating everything after a micro-hiatus just sucks.

I'm making a change to this by the way, one so that it's easier for me to keep track of, two to get rid of the shitty voting system I've implemented, and three save me from having to think up four new Pokemon each time I update this. Here's whats up:

Each week (or so, depending on how frequently I update), it will be up to you, the player, to create your own buffed Pokemon. You can change anything and everything you want about this Pokemon within reason (I'll include weight now if you wanna fuck with Heavy Slam / Grass Knot / Low Kick calculations too). To clarify, where's what you can do:

-Give a Pokemon a new move (only one)
-Give a Pokemon a new ability
-Change the Pokemon's type
-Change the Pokemon's stats (can add no more than 20BP, can rearrange current stats within reason)
-Change the Pokemon's weight

I won't add a limit as to how many of these buffs you want to implement, so if you want to do all 5, go nuts. The goal here is to take a Pokemon from B-Rank or lower on the Viability Ranking Thread and make it an A / A+ contender in UU. Once the week-ish long period is over, you will all vote for the top 2 Pokemon that were buffed, and they shall go into the archives.

If anyone has any questions, post them here or PM me about it.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Nominating Rotom-H for +15 Speed, -5 Atk, +10 SpA, New Move Fire Blast

So the goal here is to make Rotom-H a more prominent attacker. It has threeain problems: its sort of slow, a slight bit weak, and has only one STAB move it can use multiple times in a row (Thunderbolt). The +15 Speed sets it to a nice 101 and the +10 SpA makes it 115. Now it makes an excellent check to Jirachi (no matter what the Jirachi set is) and can run its choice sets much more effectively. Sometimes people may still use Overheat for the slight bit more power, but the ability to clean up with Fire Blast is awesome and the extra Speed makes it able to beat scarfed 100s if carrying a scarf and able to beat 100s without scarf. The +10 SpA just gives it a little bit of extra power as it was relatively lacking in that department.

Okay, I'm gonna make a nomination for Metagross, but since Mega Metagross will probably put him in A+/S anyway (and the idea is to take B Pokemon and make them better), I'm gonna make a second nomination for Kyurem.

Nominating Heavy Slam for Metagross. I will admit this was originally conceived for Mega Metagross, but Metagross himself is already heavy as hell and an alternative STAB to Meteor Mash will be extremely nice. You lose the small chance for Attack boosts, but perfect accuracy and the fact that Metagross is so heavy means Heavy Slam is the better choice 99% of the time. Also, should this be accepted anyway, holy fuck Tough Claws Heavy Slam with the weight increase from the Mega Evolution.

I'm gonna hold off on the actual Kyurem nom until Brobat gets back to me on whether or not a Metagross nom flies so I don't inadvertently have the same idea as someone else.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
My nom is Defog and +7 Speed, +13 SpA for Noivern.

This allows Noivern to now compete well with Crobat as it garners the same Speed stat (causing creep issues, but w/e) and it gives Noivern more power as it lacks a powerful, reliable STAB. Now Crobat is still a great Defogger as it has a powerful Brave Bird (and an arguably better defensive typing), but Noivern now has a major reason to be used as it can now play mindgames with Crobat (whether or not if it outspeeds, etc.) and has a decent spammable, albeit missable, Flying STAB in Hurricane (or Air Slash if you want). Getting to base 110 SpA and base 130 Speed also makes it an even better Choice Specs user as, unlike Crobat, it gets Switcheroo which means it can cripple, but before doing the crippling, it can hit really hard with base 110 SpA at +1.

I have more noms, but not sure if we can only do one per "round" or not. If not, lemme know, lol.

Ah, I've been waiting for this, my nomination is Ghost/Normal Mega Banette with +10 speed

I've been using Mega Banette a lot recently, and while it's certainly an underrated mon it has a big issue with having no good STAB moves. Its most powerful 1 turn moves are Double Edge and Gunk Shot, because Shadow Claw has such abysmally low BP, and this leaves that 165 base attack hitting far weaker than it really should do. Giving meganette STAB on normal moves finally lets it reach a respectable power level, its return hitting almost as hard as a Mega Amph thunder, and it can really heavily dent stuff with double edge.
Normal/Ghost has perfect coverage amongst fully evolved mons below OU, so banette could feasibly run 2 attacks and dedicate its last two slots to its vast support options. It's also a straight upgrade to ghost typing defensively, but it only really helps in letting you switch into choice locked chandy, since most ghosts have a secondary STAB to hit you with.

+10 speed lets it reach a respectable 85 base, letting it outspeed Blastoise most importantly, and allows it to put more into bulk while retaining some speed to reach benchmarks like adamant honch or uninvested base 100s. Overall, the little extra speed helps it stand up against offensive teams better without relying on status.

Have some calcs:
252+ Atk Mega Banette Return vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 225-265 (62.5 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Banette Return vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 397-468 (60.8 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Banette Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 141-166 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- 18.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery ---- Not unwallable in case anyone was worrying :p
252+ Atk Mega Banette Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 258-304 (75.6 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO ---- The power :O

In terms of flavour, it's a possessed doll, and I guess a doll would probably be normal type. Teddiursa is normal at least, and a cuddly bear and a doll are close enough :>

Moltres with Magic Guard, Scald, +5 HP and +15 SpAtk

Magic Guard, besides being desired in OU Theorymon, is great for a magic phoenix bird. I don't feel I need to even explain every last benefit it brings, do I?

Instead, I'll talk about Scald, which I justify by Moltres being on fire and needing coverage for rock types, namely Rhyperior. This is where +15 SpAtk is crucial. Without it, Sand boosted Rhyperior has a chance to survive a Scald. It also goes excellent towards making Molty a bigger Rain Team contender.

252+ SpA Life Orb Moltres Scald vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior in Sand: 425-503 (100.2 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So the flavor is that Moltres is a magic bird that flies over oceans and burns the water it throws at you while possessing great SpAtk. There's still stuff that can wall it, namely Water/Electrics, but how common is Lanturn anyway? Energy Ball would technically be stronger coverage, but the burn chance is far too sexy.

I knew keeping this open for a bit longer would result in somone finally posting in it. Voting for this round has begun. Pick your favorite, explain why, etc, etc.

Also, I want some feedback from you guys; of my projects this one seems to get the least attention. Should I change something about it to make it more fun, or should I consider putting it to rest?

I like noivern too.

I dont know why this isnt quite clicking either, I would guess it's how random the nominations feel, maybe doing it more like the other theorymon projects could work.

Im not gonna act like I know jack, but the way it's done right now feels more focused on nominations than actual discussion on the pokemon.

I would love to be part of some kind of council who finds some interesting theorymons to discuss, and Im sure the UU playerbase is large enough to find at least a couple others.

Just giving my two cents on the issue.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think it was better when there was a list of mons to discuss because it kind of gave me a base to start from when I was thinking about adding something. It's kinda overwhelming with the whole tier at once.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I agree - I like thinking about how to play around with a set selection of pokemon with a limited amount of boons I can give them. Finding that one little tweak that will turn a mediocre mon into something competitive was a lot of the fun for me.

Also, the release of the ORAS megas/move tutors has kind of drawn me away from UU for a little while, so I've been spending less time on these boards in general... That will probably settle down in a little bit, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)