The Studio - Song Recommendations

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Darnell

Dave - Wanna Know

UK Rap

I played this song once and then completely forgot about it. Glad my friend reminded me of it recently because it went straight on my phone playlist. I guess if you enjoy this song, you'll enjoy the others on his channel but this one particularly was good enough to get a remix with Drake in it. I guess my favourite part would have to be the chorus because it's catchy. Hope you enjoy it like I did. :]

PS! U/N: Aphrion
Song: Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity, from The Planets - Gustav Holst
Link:
Genre: Classical
Description: Performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, one of the best American orchestras and especially noted for their brass section - and on a piece like this, that's especially wonderful to listen to. This is the fifth movement of The Planets, a suite Holst composed based on the planets as represented in astrology (which is unfortunately unscientific, but lends quite a character to the music). Enjoy one of my favorite composers, and if you'd like to have sudden Star Wars flashbacks, listen to the first movement of this suite, Mars, the Bringer of War.

PS Username: Screamouts
Song: La Moula - MHD
Genre: Afro Trap
MHD is a french rapper known for his Afro Trap part 3 "Champions League". However I feel like he has some underrated music and this one is underrated. It's his first song and has been out for 1 year now. Like every song he makes this one makes me dance but this one is special. It's my fav song from him and I can't stop listening to it recently. I hope this one will get more popular and more in the public one

PS! U/N: Aphrion
Song: Good Lava - Esperanza Spalding
Link:
Genre: Jazz
Description: Esperanza Spalding is frickin' amazing. A jazz bassist, vocalist, and composer, one of her many claims to fame is beating Justin Bieber and other famous bands out for Best New Artist at the 2011 Grammies. (For the record, Spalding is even better than when she started, while Bieber has fallen off the map like the one-trick pony he is.) Good Lava is one of the tracks on her latest album that feels wholly fresh while still being unique to Esperanza Spalding. Actually, all the tracks on her latest album are like that, so go check it out, yeah?

Song: Waterfalls - Roger Martin ft. Maurice
Genre: Dance (?)
Pretty good song imo. The video fits so well with the music. I mean you're literally travelling all around the world when you listen + watch to the music.

PS Username: Lucky
Song: The Past is a Grotesque Animal - Of Montreal
Genre: Indie Pop, Experimental
The album this song is from, Hissing Fauna, are you the Destroyer? is something everyone should listen to at least once. The album starts off with happy sounding music and slightly ominous but cheerful sounding lyrics that make you question what the artist is trying to convey, and then this song hits halfway through. Everything that could describe the first half of the album is gone, as if this song is the singer's breaking point. The sheer emotion conveyed by the lyrics and the steady but at the same time slightly anxious rhythm make for one hell of a listening experience. The singer really put his heart into this song and it shows.

Last edited:
Song: Hippie Sabotage - Devil Eyes
Genre: Chillstep (?)
This song gives me really good vibes. The guitar and the bass are insane.

st. pablo

custom title
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Recommendations for the Week of: January 27th - February 2nd

Apologies to everyone on behalf of The Studio staff. We've gotten really behind on our recommendations and we're sorry. Although, we should be back to posting weekly once again, so stay tuned for next week. In the mean time, enjoy the recommendations from this week!

• (#) Amingo

• (@) bumbadadabum
  • Song: Sufjan Stevens - I Want To Be Well
  • Genre: Indie Pop
  • Description: I’ve recently really been digging this album. The music is over the top dramatic at times, but still remains beautiful, and very “Sufjan” for lack of a better way to describe it.

• (@) Doom Metal
  • Song: Paradise Lost - Gothic
  • Genre: Death/Doom/Gothic metal
  • Description: one of the peaceville 3’s big masterpieces

• (%) Mezari

• (@) John

• (%) StarBlim

• (@) Arrested

• (%) KingSwordYT

Deleted User 325563

Banned deucer.
  • PS! Username: Avenn
  • Song: Stephan Bodzin - Wir
  • Link:
  • Genre: EDM, Minimal Techno subgenre.
  • Description: Here is one of the songs I love the most inside minimal techno genre. I'm starting as a producer and this guy helps me a lot getting into an inspirational mood. Wir has a massive emotional load, and it is to me a masterpiece of EDM (being not that commercial).

Had fun in the Studio chat room today B)

Aka, Spirit $ense
Genre of choice? Quite honestly I like really good quality songs or instrumentals of most genre. There's really too much untouched good music within this giant dirty rock.

To be clear Inna is not my role model. But she is a package full of upbeat, positive inspiration. Does philanthropy and makes bank while looking and dancing so good! Sheesh B) She's the reason I want to get with a Romanian chick B)
She literally just dropped an album titled "Nirvana". Got to slide this too, but I'm a fan of the grudge band too.

st. pablo

custom title
Recommendations for the Week of: January 19th - January 26th, 2018

Hey everyone, we're back again for 2018 with a whole new staff body who are eager to share their tastes with everyone! We should be going back to weekly once again, remember these will be posted every Friday at midnight (12AM MT)! Along with our new recs, don't forget about our old recs either... we have revamped the very first posts in the thread containing our collection of staff recs. Our current staff recs collection will be updated for the new current staff, and we've added a former staff section as well, so you can check out what the old Studio staff listened to! Don't forget to check in every once in a while for new recommendations and also feel free to drop your own music / song recommendations in the thread as well!

• (#) Brandon~
  • Song: Charli XCX - Femmebot (feat. Dorian Electra and Mykki Blanco)
  • Genre: Electronic Pop/Experimental Pop
  • Description: Charli XCX released another mixtape, and it’s amazing! The whole thing is really exploratory and experimental. Femmebot in particular is really clever in its lyrics, the song is really catchy, I can get down to it. The theme of being a “femmebot” really works in with the electronic and (intentionally) glitchy parts of the song too. If you like the sound of the song, definitely check out the mixtape!

• (@) Arrested
  • Song: Portugal. The Man - Live in the Moment
  • Genre: Alternative / Indie / Rock
  • Description: Been re-listening to Portugal. The Man's latest album Woodstock lately, and aside from Feel It Still, this is definitely my favorite track.

• (@) Paradise
  • Song: Joyner Lucas - I'm Sorry
  • Genre: Hip-Hop
  • Description: Warning: This song handles the topic of suicide. That being said, Joyner Lucas has probably made one of the most impactful pieces of art in hip-hop that I’ve personally ever heard with this song. It’s heavy, but it’s definitely worth a listen.

• (%) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Mariah Carey - Dedicated (feat. Nas)
  • Genre: Hip-Hop / R&B
  • Description: Interesting collaboration that makes constant references to 80s and 90s hip hop music. The song samples Inspectah Deck’s verse on Wu-Tang Clan’s “Da Mystery of Chessboxin’” and makes other references to their debut album “Enter the Wu-Tang Clan (36 Chambers)”. Also references Doug E. Fresh and Slick Rick’s 1985 track “La Di Da Di”. Really enjoyable track overall.

• (%) rovietsussia
  • Song: Nick Drake - Pink Moon
  • Genre: Contemporary Folk
  • Description: This song was on a Volkswagen commercial back in 1999, and it gave Nick Drake a bit of popularity, 25 years after his death. With the exception of this song’s bridge having a bit of piano, this album was entirely Nick Drake and his guitar. It is a very bare record that reflects the depression he suffered throughout his life. He died just 2 years after this was released, in 1974.

• (%) coin sassy boy (coinboy)
  • Song: On the Might Of Princes - For Meg
  • Genre: Emo / Screamo / Post-Hardcore
  • Description: exceptionally written piece of screamo with amazing build up and production. when someone becomes everyone. when somewhere becomes everywhere.

Last edited:

st. pablo

custom title
Recommendations for the Week of: January 26th - February 2nd, 2018

• (@) Arrested
  • Song: The Beatles - Paperback Writer
  • Genre: Rock
  • Description: Been listening to The Beatles for several months now, can't get enough of them. This is one of my more recent favorites, and one of my favorites from The Red Album as a whole.

• (@) Paradise
  • Song: Breakbot - Fantasy (feat. Ruckazoid)
  • Genre: Funk / 90's Pop
  • Description: Chances are you've run into Breakbot's music from multiple memes/vines over the years, but this is one of his songs that personifies what most of his music is like: very good attempts at the Michael Jackson sound.

• (@) John (John76)
  • Song: Endon - Your Ghost Is Dead
  • Genre: Noise
  • Description: Noise rock / Hardcore from Japan. Chaotic but strangely melodic at the same time. FFO: Boris, walls of sound.

• (%) vivalospride
  • Song: Migos - Too Playa
  • Description: New song from the Migos project Culture II featuring 2 Chainz and an amazing saxophone.

• (%) Alapse
  • Song: Surf Curse - Christine F
  • Genre: Alternative/Indie
  • Description: The introduction for their newest release "Nothing Yet". Annoyingly catchy.

• (%) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Mary J. Blige - Real Love
  • Genre: Hip Hop / Soul
  • Description: This is one of MJB's first hits, bringing together elements from Hip Hop and Soul music, which she's known for doing. It samples Audio Two's '87 hit, Top Billin' and MC Lyte's 10% Diss. The song's more or less about a heartbreak, and the struggle of finding true love. It has, however, a very optimistic view on it, being composed in an up-tempo sound and having a very positive message throughout the record about perseverance and resilience.

• (%) coin sassy boy (coinboy)
  • Song: TOPAZ - Cross
  • Genre: electronic chillwave organic idk
  • Description: it's really good.

(Also, obligatory call-out that Brandon~ was the only staff member not to get a rec in this week!)

Last edited:

st. pablo

custom title
Recommendations for the Week of: February 2nd - February 9th, 2018

• (%) vivalospride
  • Song: Fabolous & Jadakiss - F vs. J Intro
  • Description: From Fab and Jada's horror movie based collab album late 2017, this intro is nothing but bars. "Now he in a awkward room tryna lock a goon/ Like the shooter had a hood on, mighta been Dr. Doom/ Sounded like a fifth or a nine, couldn’t tell though/ All a sudden, thunder, it mighta been Hoodie Melo". Thats so clean lmao.

• (%) coinboy
  • Song: autechre - LCC
  • Genre: idm
  • Description: extremely detailed idm with godly percussions.

• (#) You Know Whoooooooo It Is (do we?) (Brandon~)
  • Song: SZA - Drew Barrymore
  • Genre: R&B
  • Description: One of my favorite songs of SZA's. I love how vulnerable and personal the song gets about the follies of love and when it doesn't work out. Check out the rest of the album CTRL as well!

• (%) rovietsussia
  • Song: weezer - across the sea
  • Genre: alternative rock, emo-ish
  • Description: rivers wants to date an 18 year old japanese girl but he can't because he's a creepy weird dude in america, so he writes a song about it.

• (%) 1Surgeon
  • Song: N.E.R.D. - Lemon ft. Rihanna
  • Genre: Hip Hop / Rap
  • Description: Pretty political song about the current US president, filled with a bunch of double entendres. The word "Lemon" is usually used to describe a broken car, which in this context might just be a reference to Donald Trump. Overall really cool production + interesting lyrics makes this song worth a listen (not to mention that seeing Rihanna rapping is very refreshing).

• (%) KingSwordYT
  • Song: Dua Lipa - IDGAF
  • Genre: Pop
  • Description: Dua Lipa is never wrong. Amazing the way she has grown up, on my personal top right now. Myst Listen

• (@) Arrested
  • Song: Nym - Come Back
  • Genre: Downtempo

• (@) Paradise
  • Song: Joey Bada$$ - Paper Trail$
  • Description: From Joey's album, B4.Da.$$ (Before the money), Paper Trail$ takes money related cliches regularly found in hip hop and flips them to discuss what money and making it big really means to someone.

Last edited:
PS! Username: DeltaMajor
Song: Avril Lavigne - Losing Grip
Link:
Genre: Rock-Pop
Description: Favorite part of the lyrics: "Why should I care, 'Cause you weren't there when I was scared, I was so alone" - even though the song's talking about Avril's relationship that she was with a guy who was pretty much never been physically or mentally there for her - so... why should she care about/for him. - Which relates to "friendship" as well. lel I'm just being dramatic. (Love how Avril's vocals in this is so strong and it goes well with the heavier-grunge oriented sounds - especially when those drums & electric guitar "slams" during chorus.)

Last edited:

Brandon

My flop era is lowkey serving
Recommendations for February 9th, 2018 - February 16th, 2018

• (%) vivalospride
  • Song: SOB X RBE
  • Description: Black Panther soundtrack is amazing, but this song is fuckin nuts.

• (%) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Kendrick Lamar, SZA - All The Stars
  • Genre: Hip Hop / Rap
  • Description: This is from the new Black Panther soundtrack, so obviously has a lot of references to the comic book, and also the bible. Kendrick raps about love, fame, and God, while SZA's chorus is about achieving our dreams.

• (%) rovietsussia
  • Song: built to spill - car
  • Genre: "'"'"indie rock"'"'", and i guess chamber pop because there are violins thrown in there so it sounds nice
  • Description: the vocals are kind of whiny which is grating at first, but if you look past that this is a great song. built to spill are great at writing catchy hooks, and this is one is no exception

• (%) Alapse
  • Song: MGMT - Little Dark Age
  • Genre: Synth Pop // Alternative
  • Description: Weird funk / synth vibe to it. Super strange and addicting. The rest of the album is a must listen also.

• (#) Brandon
  • Song: Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody
  • Genre: Dance-pop/ R&B
  • Description: An oldie, but a really fun and timeless song that talks about wanting to find the one that you want to dance with forever. Houston has an amazing voice, and it really works well with the funky undertones of the song.
Also, help us in congratulating Arrested on getting Room Owner!
Ironically enough, he also didn't link a song recommendation this week.

Last edited:

st. pablo

custom title
Recommendations for the Week of: February 16th - February 23rd, 2018

• (%) AlphaWittem
  • Song: Seven Lions - Worlds Apart with Kerli
  • Genre: Dubstep
  • Description: This is easily Seven Lions' best work, and his best collaboration with Kerli. Her voice is just perfect for this beat, angelic and powerful. The drop is beyond words, you gotta listen if you wanna experience one of the best work of Dubstep.

• (%) rovietsussia
  • Song: Q and not U - hooray for humans
  • Genre: post-hardcore, dance-punk
  • Description: one of my favorites from dischord records, if you enjoy this song you should check out that label, influential stuff from DC. anyway this song is a lot of fun, 2 spazzy guitar leads over a really strong rhythm section. q and not u were always better as a four piece like on this record because they had the neat intertwining guitar parts, they went to a trio after this album and never were as interesting.

• (%) coinboy
  • Song: autechre - LCC
  • Genre: idm
  • Description: extremely detailed idm with godly percussions.

• (%) vivalospride
  • Song: Keylontix - Anti(x)
  • Genre: Electronic
  • Description: This is Kink's music and I was tryna find some shit to rec this week and I've been enjoying this song for a while and encourage everyone else to listen to it as well, I think it's dope. n_n

• (#) Brandon~
  • Song: Dua Lipa - Be The One
  • Description: Dua Lipa is a new artist of 2017/2018, and honestly I really love her voice. She has a much deeper voice than most female artists, and I find it really compelling. This song in particular is a song that really showcases her vocals well in my opinion and really shows the heart and sincerity that she puts in her must. She's just really chill and cool tbh, but if you like this song, I'd definitely recommend the album!

Last edited:

Brandon

My flop era is lowkey serving
Recommendations for February 23rd - March 1st, 2018

• (%) AlphaWittem
  • Song: The Eden Project - Jupiter
  • Genre: Chillstep
  • Description: One of my favorite track by EDEN. His voice is simply amazing, and his ability to mix such a beat with classical instruments like violins gives me chills every time I listen to it.

• (%) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Camila Cabello - Consequences
  • Description: Camila's debut album is fantastic, and Consequences is one of the best tracks for me. It sort of falls into the album's main theme, being the contrast between being in love and breaking up, and she even mentions issues related to her mental issues (OCD). Very chill ballad overall.

• (%) rovietsussia
  • Song: dads - get to the beach!
  • Genre: midwest emo, math rock
  • Description: fun fact, the song before this on the album is titled "if your Song Title Has the Word "Beach" in It, I'm Not Listening to It" so the Dads Lads really were pulling all of our legs with that funny joke.

• (#) Brandon~
  • Song: Taylor Swift - Call it What You Want
  • Description: While Reputation is much better than I predicted it'd be, I find myself gravitating towards the 1989-esque songs, and this is one of the songs that long-time Taylor fans can really come to appreciate and love. It's a standard Taylor love song, but I find it to be really catchy and fun to listen to!

PS! Username: DeltaMajor
Song: Avril Lavigne - Don't Tell Me
Link:
Genre: Rock / Pop-Rock / Post-Grunge
Description: Favorite part of this song was the chorus - "Did you think that I was gonna give it up to you this time? Did you think that it was somethin' I was gonna do and cry? Don't try to tell me what to do, Don't try to tell me what to say, You're better off that way"... I guess it's all 'bout being/staying strong & don't let anyone or anything pressurize you in a 'caught in the middle' situation.

st. pablo

custom title
Recommendations for the Week of: March 2nd - March 9th, 2018

• (%) AlphaWittem
  • Song: Muse - Thought Contagion
  • Genre: Alternative Rock
  • Description: The more I listen to it, the more I like it. This song hasn't caught my attention when it came out, but now I can't stop listening to it. The combination of bass and theremin, and the chorus they managed to create around its sound, is simply amazing. The drums add a sense of mysterious and anxiety to the track, which is well-explicated by the lyrics.

• (%) 1Surgeon
  • Song: Kylie Minogue - Dancing
  • Genre: Country Pop
  • Description: This is a pretty interesting track from Kylie, shifting from her usual electro pop sound to a very country influenced track. Seems to be about her desire to keep performing and making music for as long as she can, which is really cool.

• (%) babsus
  • Song: Trixie Mattel - Moving Parts (Acoustic)
  • Genre: Country
  • Description: The first song from Country music drag queen Trixie Mattel's upcoming second album "One Stone". She did a live performance of this acoustic version on the first episode of RuPaul's Drag Race: All Stars (Season 3).

• (%) rovietsussia
  • Song: ween - don't laugh (i love you)
  • Genre: brown
  • Description: this is my personal favorite song from ween's first album. it's a lot different from the 1-2 minute punk-ish songs that make up a lot of the album, with a really neat bassline, hazy reverb-y guitars, and excellent lyrics about ernest hemingway (RIP). also the outro is really cool, it sounds like somebdy having a seizure

• (%) KingSwordYT
  • Song: P!nk - Whatever You Want
  • Description: Nice new single of P!nk, i didn't use to listen a lot to P!nk but her new album has grown up on me a lot.

• (&) bumbadadabum
  • Song: Smashing Pumpkins - Mayonaise
  • Genre: 90s
  • Description: You know, the first time I went to the United States I was actually surprised when people looked at me weirdly for ordering my french fries with mayo. It never occured to me that this was something regional. Just seemed normal to me I guess since I've been eating mayo with my fries all my life. Funnily enough, I was asked once if I was from New York, apparently in New Amsterdam it's done too. Anyway what was I doing again?

• (#) Brandon~
  • Song: Zacari - Redemption
  • Description: I might be a little late to posting about the Black Panther album, but it's totally flames. This is one of my favorites from the album, and I decided to recommend it because it was a song that didn't already feature an artist that at least I didn't already know, and I really enjoy Zacari's voice, and I find the song to be really catchy and fun to listen to.

• (@) John
  • Song: Zeal & Ardor - Don't You Dare
  • Genre: Black Metal, Soul, Spiritual
  • Description: Like a gospel song but instead of praising God, we praise his adversary Satan. The mix of black metal and African-American slave chant-inspired spirituals works surprisingly well.

• (@) StarBlim
  • Song: Nas - Cherry Wine (feat. Amy Winehouse)
  • Description: Wish these two made a full length album together maybe they would have if Amy didn't leave us so soon R.I.P but whenever they collaborated it's was outstanding couldn't decide between this and Like smoke so give that a listen to both great chemistry.
Little staff update, both AlphaWittem and KingSwordYT have been promoted to global driver! Make sure to congratulate them if you happen to catch them in the room! Also stay tuned for next week's staff recs, there'll be a fun little twist. :smogthink:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)