OU THE Standard Gen 2 Team

Hi Everyone, many of you helped me with my previous thread where we examined the Gen I metagame in the context of the "standard" team. I had a lot of fun trying to figure everything out and am currently taking my team threw pokemon stadium 1. For those who are curious it was Tauros/Exeggcutor/Starmie/Alakazam/Chansey/Golem but I would agree that Rhydon and Snorlax are just as standard. As a side note, I currently have them all at the 47-50 mark and am doing gym leader castle. I'm considering how to have the levels for the PokeCup, I'm thinking lvl 55 Tauros or Exeggcutor as I almost always use these as my finisher or lead pokemon.

Moving on, I was hoping to do a similar exercise with Gen 2 so that once I beat Stadium I'll have something to do on my lunch hours. I've learnt a little bit about the metagame from other threads and the smogondex and this is what I've ascertained. Firstly, perhaps I should mention that I'll be taking this team through stadium 2 so you can't have the same item on two different pokemon. Okay lets begin, as far as I can tell there are stall teams and offensive teams in GSC and stall teams seem to dominate the metagame. I wonder if that's because all their pokemon use leftovers and if this remains to be true in stadium. Also, it appears that Curselax is the ultimate OU pokemon in Gen 2 so it seems clear that he would be on the standard team.

This is what I got so far,

Curselax
Raikou (Zapdos Counter)
Skarmory (Snorlax Counter)
Suicuine (Seems to be critical to a stall team)
Blissey (As far as I can tell it's standard to have a heal beller on a defensive team and also synergizes with Skarmory)
I don't have a sixth yet

I understand that there is no true standard team but if anything else maybe we could break it down to 10 or so that would be on a standard team. Also we should probably split the debate into stall teams and offensive teams. I hope you all enjoyed discussing the metagame as much as I did in Gen 1 and we continue to have fun.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
curselax is strong but counterable. drumlax is far more dangerous. also blissey is horrible in gsc, i wouldn't use it ever.

my team that i used in spl was zapdos/snorlax (drum)/skarmory/starmie/miltank (growl)/nidoking. it's solid defensively, the only downside is that it's boring as shit to play. usually something like snorlax + raikou and/or zapdos + steel + miltank is ridiculously hard to break. cover your weaknesses (like machamp) with your filler, add spikes if you want.

offense in gsc generally means using explosion on something like eggy/steelix/cloyster and having snorlax, marowak, machamp, zapdos, etc clean up.

suicune is alright, hardly critical though.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
Zapdos / Raikou
Steelix / Skarmory
Cloyster / Suicune
Tyranitar / Umbreon / Miltank
Exeggutor
Snorlax

I'm biased towards Eggy, though.

"Standard" would probably be what g80 listed. Snorlax, Raikou/Zapdos, Starmie, Miltank, Skarm, filler.

In any case, there's problems with random sets: e.g. curse sub roar kanga. Vap problem too, well growtheons in general; egg/gengar; machamps tears through after spiker blows up on starmie, etc etc.

Standard and best are two different things. Not that there is a best anyway.

I'm about ready to start my Crystal Run (I've never played it before). I've complied your advice and this is the team I've been thinking of making and I want to make sure it's cool and I understand it.

Curselax - The foundation of this standard team

Raikou - Sleeptalker and Zapdos Counter

Miltank - Heal Beller and one half of my Snorlax counter

Skarmory - Physical Wall and the other half of my Snorlax counter

The remainder of my team, the "fillers", are still up for debate. So far this is what I'm thinking

Starmie - Borat suggested this entry. I was told that the first four are weak to Machamp and smogon says the best counter to Machamp is a psychic with recover. Starmie also fulfills the role of a rapid spinner which is good for when you need to play a longer paced game

Exeggcutor - Umby suggested this entry. As far this is here to fulfill the role of a lead sleeper. Sleep powder and explosion allow for a strong early game advantage.

I'm concerned about having two psychic types leaving me vulnerable to dark and bug types but I'm pretty new to GSC. Let me know what you think, remember the goal is to create the "standard team"

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Heracross is the only Bug type of any degree of commonness in GSC from my experience, and you have Skarmory to deal with. Don't worry about it too much.

Just pointing that out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)