leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
OP shamelessly stolen from The LC Dark Horse Project
(Approved by The Eevee General)

The Other Metagames Dark Horse Project!
~
~
Hey OMs, I'd like to introduce to you a new ladder challenge; The Dark Horse Challenge. The rules are simple: pick two unappreciated mons to build around, create a team with them and hit the ladder. In doing this we hope to expose some possible new threats in each metagame. Each round (each lasting 2 weeks) we will choose one Other Metagames ladder to use. Some rounds there will be an additional challenge. We'll have a leaderboard which we will update after the end of cycles so users can have something to compete for.

Here are our rules:

- Two mons on your team must be BOTH below B- (i.e, C+ and down) in the Viability Rankings for the given meta and below 3.41% in the 1500 usage stats (usage can be obtained by typing ".usage" in any room in which boTTT is residing.
- You must build a team with these mons as opposed to stealing one (We're looking at you teambuilding shop).
- You need to post here giving 1) your (unused) ladder alt and 2) both of your dark horse mons.
- Each cycle will last about 2 weeks.
- After you hit a peak, post a screenshot in this thread. Points will be given for specific ladder rankings, as well as bonuses awarded for being one of the highest climbers compared to your challenge peers. Also include a team importable (hidden please).
-
- Discussion is greatly encouraged - share what works, what doesn't, what support is greatly appreciated for your mons.
- Friendly trash talk is not necessarily prohibited

When you post to sign up, please include the following:
Typical Showdown Username:
Challenge Ladder Alt:
Dark Horses Used:
Explanation For Mons:
Here, just include a brief description of what you hope your dark horses to do, how you plan to support them, etc.

Some Questions:
- What did your Dark Horse mons do for your team? Did they fulfill any niches untapped by any current common mons, or were they purely outclassed?
- How did your team support your DH mons, or how did your DH mons support your team?
- Would you use your Dark Horse mon again in another context, and would you recommend your DH mon to a user you like?

Last edited:

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
The current challenge is for STABmons

Bronze rank: 1200
Silver rank: 1250
Gold rank: 1300
Platinum rank: 1400

Last edited:
Typical Showdown Username: Peef Rimgar
Challenge Ladder Alt: Peef Can't See
Dark Horses Used: Politoed, Kabutops, Ludicolo, Shedinja
Explanation For Mons: I decided to make rain for this, as I've never seen it explored in Stabmons and it seems pretty good. Kabutops gets the cute new option of Diamond Storm, Ludicolo gets Seed Flare, and Sheddy gets a mess of stuff like Spikes, U-turn, etc, and walls a large chunk of the meta.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Typical Showdown Username: DreMZ
Challenge Ladder Alt: Predict the EQ
Dark Horses Used: Manaphy and Absol
Explanation For Mons: Manaphy is a basic Tail Glow set meant to destroy people. Meanwhile Absol is Dark Void + 3 Attacks. Manaphy doesn't really use any new STABmons moves; I just think its good. Obviously I need support vs Normies for Absol and something to hit whatever Manaphy can't (not going to say what tho ;)) )

Typical Showdown Username: mother[something]
Challenge Ladder Alt: mothermother
Dark Horses Used: Poliwrath and dugtrio
Explanation For Mons: Because my current team already has them, lol. Dugtrio helps zardY and kyuB break stuff by killing heatran and poliwrath helps me counterteam Peef can't see and leafstorm's rain teams.

EDIT: since someone ask, I did not really counterteam peef I just had this team before and charizard Y has about 3 switchins being ttar, heatran and politoed. Dugtrio kills 2.

Last edited:
Should rename the thread to "The Other Metagames Black Sheep Project" in my opinion, since the whole purpose of this project is to use uncommon Pokemon, much like that one black sheep in a herd of white sheep.

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
Should rename the thread to "The Other Metagames Black Sheep Project" in my opinion, since the whole purpose of this project is to use uncommon Pokemon, much like that one black sheep in a herd of white sheep.
By that logic, I'm surprised you didn't say it should be called "The Other Metagames Dark Donkey Project"...

I'd like to remind the three of you that have registered so far that if you have laddered enough, you can post here about what works for your dark horses and what doesn't. A preliminary analysis like this helps us examine these mons and regard them as actual powerful forces in STABmons or as actually C, D, and E ranked pokemon.

EV

Banned deucer.
Typical Showdown Username: Eevee General
Challenge Ladder Alt:
LORDE DRAGONAIR
Dark Horses Used:
Audino (Mega), Escavalier
Explanation For Mons:
Audino is a Chansey-lite with the benefit of resisting Koff and not losing its item when in mega forme. It's ability sucks but it's a fantastic supporter nonetheless. Esca is a Scizor-lite except I don't quite plan to use it that way ... I'll probably throw in a Dragon to complete the Fairy/Steel/Dragon core. I'm going to *try* semi-stall. We'll see.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Typical Showdown Username: Kit Kasai
Challenge Ladder Alt: yes really
Dark Horses Used: Cofagrigus, Camerupt, Bronzong, Rhyperior
Explanation For Mons: trick room bruh

edit: this team sucks lmao I'm gonna have to edit it massively for it to work at all.

Last edited:
Typical Showdown Username: unfixble
Challenge Ladder Alt: yes daddy i do
Dark Horses Used: suicune, rhyperior, heracross
Explanation For Mons: i'm gonna use my slow team with a fast twist :,)

Illusio

Bold and Brash
Typical Showdown Username: Illusio
Challenge Ladder Alt: Lampshades on Fire
Dark Horses Used: Ninetales, Heliolisk, Sawsbuck
Explanation For Mons: My little version of a sun team in STABmons

Typical Showdown Username: ScorrchingTheaph
Challenge Ladder Alt: Dank Horse Theaph
(for those of you with trouble reading, it's T-H-E-A-P-H not theraph or seraph)
Dank Horses Used: Pangoro, Zoroark (Both are dank type too)
Explanation For Mons: Pangoro is running a standalone gimmick set (probably bad), Zoroark for Illusion confusion (probably bad too).

EDIT: Do we start laddering now?

Last edited:
Typical Showdown Username: omnisc
Challenge Ladder Alt: dark horse project (n_n)
Dark Horses Used: shedinja,regirock
Explanation For Mons: heck my infamous stabmons stall team already has these. gtfo standard stall mons. i've already put a post in the stabmons viability ranking about placing both of these higher. they're underrated.

Typical Showdown Username: DarkeKnight
Challenge Ladder Alt: DarkDarkeKnight
Dark Horses Used: Politoed, Kabutops, Kingdra, Volcarona
Explanation: Rain team with dual Swift Swim and a Hurricane/Tail Glow Volcarona.

Typical Showdown Username: aesf
Challenge Ladder Alt: No clue what it is
Dark Horses used: Rhyperior, Mega Aggron
Explanation: Trying to stall in stabmons, probably to another degree of failure. With kyube banned, one of the only things that beats thundy is rhyperior, and pretty much the only thing that beats mega scizor is mega aggron.

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
Seeing as you lost I don't see why I should count it against you. Also be sure to update your rankings every time you reach one. Be sure to provide a screenshot!

sorry about that, with OMPL and linked+averagemons finally having a ladder,i've sorta forgotten about this.
edit: yeah,also C&C

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)