Challenge The Nuzlocke Challenge - Mark 2

Note: After a disastrous playing session today, I'm officially forfeiting the Nuzlocke. I made it to Geosenge Town with only one death (Fennekin). However, on Route 11, I lost Pidgeotto, Houndoom, Lunatone, Chingling, Zangoose, Tyrunt, and Vespiquen. My only Pokémon left with levels up to snuff are Sandile, Wartortle, and Snorlax. I know that I am not going to make it past Korrina with that team, so I am giving up. It was fun while it lasted. My only reserves are a Level 22 Linoone, Level 12 Sentret, and Level 17 Dunsparce. Since all three will surely be stomped by Korrina, I officially forfeit this challenge.

Hello everyone, if there is anyone around, I am an avid pokemon fan but i've never done a nuzlocke challenge so please leave your opinion. So I'm going to start my first Nuzlocke challenge on my SoulSilver with the following rules:

1. Faint pokemon go to dead box (just in case a shiny dies and after the challenge is completed I want it transfered to another game)
2. Starter will depend on trainer ID
3. Only one pokemon per route and it must be the first one seen.
4. Can't buy any items other than tm's and pokeballs.
5. Every pokemon will be nicknamed. (actually did this part before for fun :D)
6. Legendary pokemon can be caught but not used. (let's imagine like I win the lottery and it's a shiny)
7. Pokemon from in game gifts (like eevee) can be used as long as they are the first encounter on said route or town.
8. Once a gym is entered one cannot leave until gym leader is beaten.
9. No running allowed, every pokemon must be defeated. (great suggestion you guys!)
10. Pokemon encountered while fishing or surfing count separately from wild encounters in grass.
11. Duplicate Pokemon do not count towards capture rule, since the objective is to have different pokemons in the team.
PS: Changed the rules a bit, incorporating some really great ideas from the fellas below, and my game to SoulSilver. My platinum has a save I don't want to lose at the moment :P.

EDIT: So by now the team is made of:
-Rex the Totodile (M)

-Gold the Pidgey (M)

-Ampy the Mareep (F) ( was lucky for finding it first on grass patch just below violet, really handy in the gym battle haha)

- Stinger the Beedril(F) (Substitute for poor Fang the Zubat who sadly perished from a crit hit from a wild rattata's quick attack)

-Pecky the Spearow(M)

- Drexler the Ledyba(M) (Will switch for something better but for now i have to stick with it) (Perished against Team Rocket's Admin's Koffing)

-Nixie the Onix(F)

Really having fun doing it this way hehe. Afraid of Bugsy's Scyther. That one's usually a sweeper. Gonna level up Nixie because she'll eat scyther's attacks easily.

Last edited:
I’m excited to participate in my very own Nuzlocke challenge with my Pokemon Y version! I’ve wanted to do a Nuzlocke challenge for awhile now, and I’m glad I checked into this forum, because you all have some great rule additions that I’m excited to incorporate into my own play-through.

I’m going to be using the following rules:

1. Pokemon that faint are released (unless it is a shiny, in which case it will go into a “Cemetery” box.)
2. My starter will depend on what number my trainer ID ends with. 1-3 means Chespin, 4-6 means Fennekin, and 7-9 means Froakie. If it ends with 0, I will use a strawpoll in Pokemon Showdown to determine my starter.
3. I can only catch the first Pokemon I find per route.
4. Every Pokemon will have a nickname.
5. I can use PokemonAmie, but not Super Training or O-Powers.
6. I can only purchase TMs and Pokeballs.
7. I can only use healing items that are found through the game, and can farm and harvest Berries.
8. Legendary Pokemon cannot be caught or used.
9. Gift Pokemon cannot be caught or used, and I cannot trade Pokemon or use Pokemon Bank.
10. Once I enter a gym, I cannot leave until I beat the leader or lose.
11. I can catch the first Pokemon I encounter on a route via fishing OR surfing, separate from wild encounters in grass.
12. Duplicate Pokemon do not count towards my capture number if found in grass. (ex. If I catch a Fletchling in the first route, and run into a Fletchling first in the next route, it does not count. Surfing or fishing duplicates cancel that option out for the route it happens on.)
13. No running is allowed – I must defeat any wild Pokemon that I encounter.
14. My challenge is over once I have defeated AZ and returned to my bedroom.

What do you guys think of my rules? Anything you would add or change? I'll be starting this challenge this weekend, and I'm very excited to get started.

EDIT: I polled PS!, and if my trainer ID ends in 0, instead of training one of the three starter Pokemon, I must release whatever I choose, and use the first wild Pokemon I encounter as my starter. Fun stuff!

Last edited:
I’m excited to participate in my very own Nuzlocke challenge with my Pokemon Y version! I’ve wanted to do a Nuzlocke challenge for awhile now, and I’m glad I checked into this forum, because you all have some great rule additions that I’m excited to incorporate into my own play-through.

I’m going to be using the following rules:

1. Pokemon that faint are released (unless it is a shiny, in which case it will go into a “Cemetery” box.)
2. My starter will depend on what number my trainer ID ends with. 1-3 means Chespin, 4-6 means Fennekin, and 7-9 means Froakie. If it ends with 0, I will use a strawpoll in Pokemon Showdown to determine my starter.
3. I can only catch the first Pokemon I find per route.
5. I can use PokemonAmie, but not Super Training or O-Powers.
6. I can only purchase TMs and Pokeballs.
7. I can only use healing items that are found through the game, and can farm and harvest Berries.
8. Legendary Pokemon cannot be caught or used.
9. Gift Pokemon cannot be caught or used, and I cannot trade Pokemon or use Pokemon Bank.
10. Once I enter a gym, I cannot leave until I beat the leader or lose.
11. I can catch the first Pokemon I encounter on a route via fishing OR surfing, separate from wild encounters in grass.
12. Duplicate Pokemon do not count towards my capture number if found in grass. (ex. If I catch a Fletchling in the first route, and run into a Fletchling first in the next route, it does not count. Surfing or fishing duplicates cancel that option out for the route it happens on.)
13. No running is allowed – I must defeat any wild Pokemon that I encounter.
14. My challenge is over once I have defeated AZ and returned to my bedroom.

What do you guys think of my rules? Anything you would add or change? I'll be starting this challenge this weekend, and I'm very excited to get started.

EDIT: I polled PS!, and if my trainer ID ends in 0, instead of training one of the three starter Pokemon, I must release whatever I choose, and use the first wild Pokemon I encounter as my starter. Fun stuff!
With regard to rule 8... you've no choice but to catch Yveltal. The game won't proceed any further until you've caught it, though you can choose not to use it. I assume rule 9 doesn't count a Pokemon that evolves via trade, like if you catch a Haunter and want to evolve it into Gengar?

With regard to rule 8... you've no choice but to catch Yveltal. The game won't proceed any further until you've caught it, though you can choose not to use it. I assume rule 9 doesn't count a Pokemon that evolves via trade, like if you catch a Haunter and want to evolve it into Gengar?
Great points. It's been awhile since I played through Y, and I've never NOT caught Yveltal, so if I'm forced to catch it, I'll just release it afterwards.

And no trading for me! My Haunter will stay Haunter, my Rhydon will stay Rhydon, etc. Thank goodness for Eviolite!

I also thought about including another rule to increase difficulty a bit more:

Optional Rule 1: Pokemon may only hold items. Additional hold items (including mega stones) may not be used.

What do you all think of this rule? Is it worth adding to my list? Or do you think it would make it too difficult?

I recently did an omega ruby playthrough but I tweaked the rules a bit.

I did a "Paul Nuzlocke" were I only cared for pokemon with good stats and/or nature using the dexnav or soft resetting.

1. Pokemon that faint are sent to the cemetery box
2. You can choose the starter that you see fit but you have to SR it to get a good nature.
3. Screw first encounter, if you want to be the very best you need to use the best pokemon possible. You can only catch good pokemon use the dexnav to get 3IVs, an eggmove and/or hidden ability (if useful). Release the ones with bad nature or stats(just like Paul in the anime). This rule can be challenging and risky as the dexnav will throw you overleveled pokemon that can KO you.
4. Pokemon will have a nickname... if they deserve it!
5. I can use Super Training, but not PokemonAmie. Exp Share is always off.
6. Legendary Pokemon cannot be used.
7. Once I enter a gym, I cannot leave until I beat the leader or lose.
8. No running is allowed – I must defeat any wild Pokemon that I encounter.

When I entered an area I waited for a random hidden pokemon to appear rustling in the grass/cave/water I would then proceed to DexNav chain it to get several IVs an eggmove and maybe hidden ability KOing the pokemon with bad stats and releasing the ones with good stats but bad nature. If I got a repeat encounter I would just skip to the next section.

Here's the team I ended up with. I will not post my full cemetary and reserve because lazyness. I had a taillow with boomburst that died to a crit and had a numel, carvanha and kecleon in my reserve.

Scarlett (F) the Blaziken
Starter Pokemon
Ability: Blaze
Item: Blazikenite
Lonely Nature - Mischievous.- Flamethrower
- Hi-Jump Kick
- Earthquake
- Hone Claws
IVs: - has good SpAtk lol
Notes: She unfortunately died in my battle against Steven, I forgot Aggron had sturdy :/ guess it doesn't really matter since that was the end of the nuzlocke.

Rosemary (F) the Shiftry
Met at Lv. 17 on Route 102. She had greater level than normal because of the chaining
Ability: Chlorophyll
Item: Miracle Seed
Hasty Nature - Somewhat vain.
- Dark Pulse
- Leaf Blade
- Leaf Storm
- Growth
IVs: xx/31/xx/31/31/xx
Note: She had Bullet Seed as egg move which was really useful for the sturdy pokemon early in the game.

Metagross
Met at Lv. 5 in Dewford Town. I SR'd the event Beldum because the pokemon in dewford were not worthy.
Ability: Clear Body
Item: Expert Belt
Adamant Nature - Loves to eat.
Starter Pokemon

- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Hold Back
IVs: 30 HP and has superior stats

Clarissa (F) the Altaria
Met at Lv. 34 on Route 114. She had greater level than normal because of the chaining
Ability: Cloud Nine (HA)
Item: Altarianite
Serious Nature - Mischievous
- Hyper Voice*
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Perish Song
IVs: xx/xx/31/31/31/xx
Notes: I wanted this one to have it's HA and Hyper Voice, it took me a while to DexNav this. Since it had 3IVs a good ability and Hyper Voice I used it despite not having a good nature.

Umaru (F) the Milotic
Met at Lv. 28 on Route 119. She had greater level than normal because of the chaining
Ability: Cute Charm (HA)
Item: Rocky Helmet
Rash Nature - Capable of taking hits
- Surf
- Dive/Waterfall
- Toxic
- Recover
IVs: xx/xx/31/xx/31/xx
Notes: I wanted this one to have it's HA because not many trainers in game have intimidate or use status for marvel scale and competitive to be useful, but most male trainers use male pokemon so Cute Charm came in useful several times. I had a en epic Milotic vs Milotic battle against Wallace. Rash was an ok nature because I knew I would need to use this with Dive/waterfall later in the game

Yukiko (F) the Froslass
Met at Lv. 34 in Shoal Cave. She had greater level than normal because of the chaining
Ability: Cursed Body (HA)
Item: Life Orb
Naive Nature - Mischievous
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Wake up Slap
IVs: 31/xx/31/31/xx/xx
Notes: I wanted this one to have it's HA because Snow Cloak is not very useful unless you have a hail team. She had Disable as eggmove but I changed it to Wake Up Slap for coverage it came in useful sometimes xD

UPDATE #2:
- Rex the Croconaw(M)

- Gold the Pidgey(M)

- Ampy the Mareep (F)

- Stinger the Beedril(F)

- Pecky the Spearow(M)

- Nixie the Onix(F)

Nixie seems to be bulky enough to take Scyther's attacks. At least I hope so. Time to take on the gym challenge! Here we go!

Take the middle lift.... aaaaaaand it's a battle. Fine, I will never say no to a fight! Gold easily takes out bug catcher's bugs. It's a feast... Work my way with the lifts... aaand another battle.
Gold you can do it! It's a feast! Gold feastes on the second bug catcher's bugs.. He's a happy bird right now. Take the lift next lift.. one more bug catcher... Damn people love bugs.. Anyways this time, Pecky said he was hungry so I decided to let him have a go. He pecks his way through a good, not-so-easy this time around fight, but prevails. Next we take up the twins. Gold and Pecky quickly make work of the twins's bugs. And on to Bugsy... Oh how I dread this moment.. I know Bugsy has a powerful Scyther...

The fight begins.. Nixie goes out first.. Can't decide what to do.. Should I try to take a serious hunk of hp of scyther with rock throw? Will it even do that much damage... Won't he U-turn me and one hit ko nixie?... I decide to risk it.. Scyther uses U-turn and nixie survives! But only 6 hp left! I find myself asking Gold to help me! Go buddy! Gust the hell out of that metapod! I use this chance to heal Poor nixie... I will need her to bulk another scyther attack.. probably... Gold finishes off metapod with a powerful gust.. and he levels up to 18! Good going buddy! Oh no! Here comes Scyther again. Should I use gust? No... Gold will die from a quick attack or u-turn... I gotta risk Nixie! Nixie, go! Scyther uses Focus energy! Thank god! I have a chance here! Scyther used leer! It's our chance! Nixie used Rock throw and scyther is almost at 50%hp... Damn it, not enough... What to do... Nixie has been leered... one U-turn could kill her.. There's no option, she has to fight! U-turn and Nixie falls... I loved you my little stone snake... Thank you, you gave us a fighting chance... Kakuna comes out. Gold go avenge Nixie!

Kakuna is dead. But here comes the dreadful Scyther again, and Gold only has 30hp left... Gold is powerful, but I'm not sure one Gust could kill Scyther... Maybe Ampy's Thundershock... but she's so fragile and I can't risk her... So I decide with Pecky. In goes Pec--- and a quick attack from scyther kills Pecky... Damn you Scyther, those are two of my friends you killed by now you evil monster! There's not many options left... Out goes Ampy! Scyther uses Leer and Ampy gets a thundershock in! Scyther uses its berry... Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... I know Ampy will die with one attack now so what to do... I send Rex in. He's a tough Croconaw despite having just recently evolved. Rex withstands the U-Turn with mighty defenses. Another U-Turn! But Rex gets a Bite on Scyther aaaaaaand Scyther lives.. I know bugsy will use a potion so I do the same. Bite again! Scyther is losing terrain now.. This might be our break! He uses Focus Energy! Bad move Scyther! Bite! Scyther is almost down... I don't take a chance! I use my last super potion on Rex! Scyther uses U-turn! Lucky! Not a crit so one more Bite will do.. aaaaaaaaaaand Rex did it... Rex defeated the dreadful Scyther... (Woah I think it's the first time I don't white out at this gym... Guess this really makes us think our strategy better hehe)

We mourn our 2 lost friends Nixie and Pecky, they will be missed but the show goes on.. We rest ourselves overnight at the pokemon center, thinking of the next adventures...

Current Team:

-
Rex the Croconaw (M) Lvl 18

- Gold the Pidgeotto(M) Lvl 18

- Ampy the Mareep(F) Lvl 14

- Stinger the Beedril(F) Lvl 12 (Stinger hasn't battled in quite some time... poor bugger)

Nixie was at lvl 10 and Pecky at 11 at the time they left us...

Last edited:
Update #3:

Current Team:

- Rex the Croconaw(M):

Lvl: 20 - Modest Nature
Moves: Scary Face
Leer
Water Gun
Bite

- Stinger the Beedril(F):

Lvl: 18 - Brave Nature
Moves: Twineedle
Focus Energy
U-Turn
Fury Attack

- Gold the Pidgeotto(M)

Lvl: 22 - Adamant Nature
Moves: Tackle
Sand-Attack
Gust
Quick Attack

- Ampy the Flaaffy(F) (Evolved after fight with Silver)

Lvl: 19 - Naughty Nature
Moves: Tackle
Growl
Thundershock
Thunder Wave

Continuing our adventure from where we left of, we adventured into the Ilex Forest after beating our rival Silver (yeah boring that I used his real name... oh well) in a rather easy fight. As we ran across Ilex's amazing scenery, a wild Paras was the first brave pokémon to challenge us. Stinger was up for the challenge and wanted to give Paras the fight of it's life. And it easily brought it to low hp, where one pokéball was all it took to catch it. And so we welcomed Shroomie to the team. Getting back to our adventure, we had to catch some annoying Farfetch'd from the back...

Stinger continued to make herself the queen of the forest by beating anyone crossing her path. Soon after we ended up on Route 36. We bravely fought all the trainers there, easily dispatching them all with our team. The first pokémon that showed itself to us when we went into the grass was a mighty Abra. Rex wanted me to catch Abra, Stinger was a bit afraid... I knew Abra would teleport so I did the only thing I could. Go Pokéball! It twitched twice, but in the end, Abra broke free... There he goes. After a few sighs, we defeated the rest of the trainers and even a policeman, that thought Gold was a thieving pidgeotto, but we proved him wrong. We reach Goldenrod. The radio city. We looked around, got a bike, got a radio card, had some cool fights underground. Ampy got a brooming. Her fleece is shining right now. We went up north, having hear about this Bug-Catching Contest. Stinger made a tantrum but I reassured her that despite what it sounds people do not harm the pokémon during the contest, unless Team Rocket is there...

On our way to the National Park, we fought some tough trainers but never sweating even one bit, exchanged a few phone numbers with some nice people, and we even caught a Drowzee, a female, she appeared distressed, almost begging to be caught, and so I asked her to join us and she did( threw pokeball at start and it was caught :3). We named her Psychor, she seemed to like it. It was night so my team and I decided to not do the bug catching contest at night.

We went through the park without touching the grass and advanced through. We fought one psychic type trainer which was tough! I almost forgot to switch Stinger out after he threw his Kadabra in. Luckily Rex took the confusion pretty proudly and with a Bite, finished Kadabra off. Before facing off against a brave school boy, we ran through a little patch of grass, where a scared Nidoran(F) appeared before us. Despite being scared she really put up a fight but after some time I made her realize she'd be safe with me so I caught her. Rex and Gold agreed to name her Lassette, while Ampy was still sleeping from a wild Drowzee's hipnosis on the previous route so she didn't notice. Stinger had mixed feelings about having another female on the team. We tried to go further but a stubborn sudowoodo is in the way. Seems like we must defeat Whitney so that she helps us somehow. Lassette will come in handy with her double kick. We shall train a bit before taking the gym challenge.

Team Additions:

- Psychor the Drowzee(F)

Lvl: 14 - Impish Nature
Moves: Pound (aka bitch-slap... atleast in her case... :P)
Hypnosis
Disable
Confusion

- Lassette the Nidoran(F)

Lvl: 12 - Serious Nature
Moves: Growl
Scratch
Tail Whip
Double Kick

Our fallen friends will never be forgotten so we shall train hard and make sure nothing like that ever happens again. I've seen some challengers trying to beat Whitney to get her badge. That Miltank is really dangerous. Lassette knows we have to train hard. Counting on her hidden potential. We shall be back from our training soon...

Alright guys, time for an update! I'm two badges in, and making my way through Reflection Cave, so there's a lot to catch up on. I'm posting in "chapters" to keep things clean and easy to follow and to update.

Chapter One: Let's Begin!

On a sunny Thursday afternoon, I got home from work, fed my cats, sat back on my sofa, and relaxed, settling into a very comfy place with my favorite purple 3DS. I opened it up, clicked my "Y" icon, and loaded up my freshly restarted Pokemon Y game. It was time; time to start my new Nuzlocke adventure!

I loaded the game up, and after the introduction scene and what felt like hours of Professor Sycamore talking, my adventure began. Playing as a male named Graham, I set off on my new journey. Chatting with my mom and neighbor kids was all fluff for the real important upcoming event: choosing my first Pokemon! I had predetermined that my starter would be decided with my Trainer ID. 1-3 would mean Chespin, 4-6 would mean Fennekin, 7-9 would mean Froakie, and a zero would mean releasing my starter and using the first Pokemon I caught as my starter. I open my Trainer's Card to find this:

Chespin it is! I choose my Chespin and decide to name it Hawke, after the protagonist in the Dragon Age 2 game. Eager to get to know my new Pokemon friend, we set off and start our journey together. After an easy battle against my neighbor, Shauna, and her Froakie, we checked in with my mom and set on our way, after asking around for items in Aquacorde.

Stepping foot onto Route 2, I was giddy with anticipation of catching my first wild Pokemon. What would it be? Would it be good? Would I learn to love it regardless? These thoughts ran through my mind as I wandered into the grass, and then it happened: my first wild Pokemon appeared! I closed my eyes tight, waiting to hear the cry of my first wild Pokemon, and giggled with excitement when I heard the familiar cry of my favorite bird Pokemon: Pidgey!

Excited, I whittle its health down carefully, threw my first PokeBall, and caught it seamlessly. Naming Pidgey was easy; I've always named my Pidgey "Edge," ever since my first Pokemon Red game.

Hawke, Edge, and I wandered into the Santalune Forest with a mix of emotions. I knew that this forest is famous for the plethora of wild Pokemon who call it home. I was excited that I might catch something stellar.....or something completely unimpressive. I stepped into the tall grass, and within moments, encountered my second wild Pokemon:

I've never raised a Panpour before; they always annoyed me. Their pompous little poof, the silly hands on Simipour, the sheer number of Water-types who excel beyond them. But this little water monkey was mine, whether I liked it or not. After another easy battle and capture, Phelps joined my team, optimistically named after the Olympian swimmer, Michael Phelps.

Phelps, Hawke, Edge, and I fought our way through Santalune Forest, healing frequently thanks to our companion, Shauna. After the forest, my Pokemon were at levels that I was happy with, so instead of milking the free healing of Shauna, we progressed onto Route 3, focused on catching my fourth Pokemon. Into the grass we went, and boom: a Pokemon I could be really excited about!

AZURILL! I LOVE Azurill, and its evolutions. Azumarill is my second favorite Fairy-type (after Clefable, of course!) so I was thrilled to have this fellow join my team, affectionately named, "Boop."

I strolled into Santalune City feeling very happy with my team, excited about my old favorite in Pidgey, anxious to get to know Panpour and explore its untapped potential, giddy with my awesome little Azurill, and already pleased with the strength of my Chespin.

Current Team:

Casualties: -

Chapter Two: Death's Toll.

Santalune is a quaint yet busy town, and I made quick work of scouring it for resources. Not being able to purchase potions (a standard set in my predetermined rules) made me pretty nervous, so I wanted to find as many items as I could. I knew that I had an important battle coming up soon with Viola, the Santalune City Gym Leader, and I had to prepare. The four Pokemon on my team were great, but I wanted to be even more prepared for the gym battle, so I headed West to Route 22 to capture a fifth Pokemon and get some experience battling against the trainers. My first priority was to catch my next Pokemon, and so into the grass we went. Route 22 also calls itself home to a lot of Pokemon, so the anticipation was high when the grass rustled and this fellow popped out:

Another Water-type?! Are you kidding me?! Panpour is a Water-type, Azurill will evolve into a Water-type, and now Psyduck, ANOTHER Water-type. That frustration aside, Psyduck is a pretty cute Pokemon, and Golduck can be strong, so I welcomed Oracle to my party.

With my new-found party member, it was time to challenge the trainers on Route 22. Viola and her Vivillon have a reputation for being tough to tackle by new trainers, and I wanted to get as strong as possible before my battle with her. I approached the rising star Louise and challenged her to battle, completely unknowing of the tragedy that would ensue.

Louise sent out her first Pokemon: a Psyduck. Psyduck was an easy victory, knocking it out quickly with Hawke and Vine Whip. Mourning the death of her Psyduck, Louise sent out Litleo, her eyes full of fiery vengeance. Knowing that Hawke, who was at half-health, couldn't handle Ember, I switched to Edge. Louise's Litleo must have been close with Psyduck, made evident by its battling fervor. Litleo hit Edge with a Leer on the switch, which didn't worry me too much. The next round, Litleo and Edge traded Tackles, leaving both around 2/3 health. I felt confident about Edge's ability to finish this battle. I was so wrong.

Sending Edge into another Tackle, I didn't expect Litleo to hit first. With an Ember. A CRITICAL HIT EMBER. THAT BURNED EDGE. I grimaced as I watched Edge's health fall down to 3 h.p., and felt even worse when the burn came into affect. At that moment, I knew I would suffer my first casualty, and hesitantly told Edge good bye as Ember's burn took his life.

Edge: Dead: Level 10: 10.1.15

Despite Edge's death, I knew the battle must go on. "Boop knows Bubble! That'll teach Litleo a lesson!" I thought to myself. So out goes Boop, and I hesitated immediately; I had forgotten that the battle catching Oracle had dropped Boop's health to about 40 percent. Litleo was weakened significantly, though; I was confident that Boop could endure an Ember and knock it out with Bubble.

Again, I was mistaken. Litleo moved first, mighty with the vengeance it took against Edge, and launched a powerful Ember at Azurill. I gasped and panicked as Boop's health dropped quickly to 0. I couldn't believe it. No way. My FAVORITE Pokemon that I caught so far now laid dead on the ground, crispy from Litleo's Ember. This monstrous little lion had just killed ANOTHER one of my Pokemon.

Boop: Dead: Level 8: 10.1.15

Now I was lit with vengeance. This little monster had to die, and had to die painfully. Phelps doesn't know Water Gun yet, I thought, but someone else does: Oracle! I throw Oracle's PokeBall out with a heated fury, and my new Psyduck partner earns its place on the team by drowning Litleo with Water Gun.

Reeling from the deaths of two of my favorite partners, I headed back into Santalune to recover my team. I buried Edge and Boop, and went back onto Route 22 reluctantly to keep training: dead partners or not, I still had a gym leader to beat.

The rest of the training went by flawlessly. Best of all, Hawke learned Rollout, which I knew would come in handy against Viola's gym and all of their Bug-type Pokemon. This move was still little solace, however; I was still bitter and sad, missing my Boop and Edge. After we beat all of the trainers left, we headed back into Santalune, healed up one last time, and headed into the gym.

Viola might have a reputation of being tough, but her underlings succumbed easily to my Pokemon's onslaught. After battling around on the sticky web suspended in her gym, I made it to Viola's platform, ready to battle. Even though Viola wasn't the one who killed my Edge and Boop, I was still seeking vengeance, and knew that if I beat her, it would validate having lost two of my partners.

A few potions later, my team and I headed up to Viola, calling her forward to battle. My strategy was to start out with Hawke so it could build up enough Rollouts on Viola's first Pokemon to take care of her Vivillon with ease. I send Hawke into battle as Viola sends out her Surskit, a Water / Bug-type Pokemon that Hawke handled with ease. Two Rollouts from Hawke later, Surskit lay dead, only having landed one Bubble attack on Hawke. With around 90 percent health, I was confident that Hawke could handle at least one attack from Vivillon, and counter strongly with Rollout.

"Vivillon, GO!" Viola shouted, ready to avenge her fallen Surskit. Vivillon flashed onto the scene, strong, beautiful, and powerful, ready to fight. Hawke built up a mighty momentum as it launched Rollout towards Vivillon, who hit first with a strong Infestation. My heart skipped a bit as the words "A Critical Hit!" flashed across my screen. I couldn't lose Hawke. Not here. Not now. I clenched my teeth and squinted my eyes, and yelped in excitement when Hawke clung to life with 3 h.p. Rollout smacked right into Vivillon with full-force, knocking it from the sky and straight into submission. Both of her Pokemon defeated, Viola turned over the Bug Badge, as well as TM-83, containing Infestation. I could hear her whimpering over the loss of her prized Pokemon as I left the gym.

Triumphant, I headed to the Pokemon center, ready to heal and continue onward with my journey. I was no longer saddened over the loss of my Edge and Boop; I knew that, as much as I would miss them, I would still build a strong and powerful team as I moved towards Lumiose City and beyond.

Current Team:

Casualties:

Cemetery

Last edited:
Place-holding this for I don't know why. I'll add my Nuzlocke adventures at near end-game soon, along with some death tales I remember. And a Wonderlocke I plan to do next. :D Oh and stuff I can't remember by memory. Because i'm lazy and don't want to grab my 3DS.

Current Team

McCloud the Delphox. Lvl 52. (M)
Cut
Flame Thrower
Mystical Fire
Psychic.

Champ the Lapras. Lvl 50-something. (M)
Item: LeftOvers.
Hydro Pump
Body Slam
Ice Beam
Surf

Borealis the Aurorus. Lvl 51. (M)
Light Screen
Thunder Bolt
Ancient Power
Ice Beam

Anubis the Lucario. Lvl 42. (M)
Item: Lucarionite.
Power-Up Punch
Aura Sphere
Bone Rush

Someone I forgot! :D

Someone I forgot! :D

Deaths

BuzzBuzzBuzz the Kakuna. Lvl 10? (M)
Died to some thing I forgot.

Lady Knight the Honedge. Lvl 14? (F)
I forgot how types worked! :D

Lancelot the Ralts. Lvl 12? (M)
After dying again and again because I keep forgetting Psychic doesn't resist Poison, I finally decided to cope with the fact I was not going to get a Gallade.

Toph the Pidgeotto. Lvl 20 something? (F)
I forgot how I lost her. She isn't even in the box anymore. Idk what happened. Might of been Grant's battle.

Goldenrod the Floette. Lvl 38? (F)
Lost her just before Olympia's gym to some trainer with... Aqua Tail. Not even a critical hit. One shotted. RIP.

Sycamore the Venusaur. Lvl 40 something. (M)
Item: Venusaurite.
I lost him during Olympia's fight. I had a plan to deal with her Meowstic, who outspeeds half my team. Send in Sycamore, sleep powder and leech seed it, switch out to McCloud. This was working fine until Meowstic woke up. I sent Syacmore back in to use sleep powder again. I had forgotten the only reason I got Meowstic to fall asleep was because it was setting up Calm Mind... Meowstic used Psychic! It's super effective! Sycamore fainted!

I've got more free time today at work, so here go the next few chapters! Some exciting and sad stuff has happened, so grab a seat, grab a snack, grab a kleenex, and here we go!

Chapter Three: The Cliff Badge!

After a stunning victory against Viola, I wander into Route 4, prepared to add another Pokemon to my team. I was a little worried about this grass, though. High chances to catch Combee, Flabebe, Ledyba, and Skitty hung in my mind from previous playthroughs, and I wasn't excited about being stuck with any of these wimpy 'mons. Apprehensively, I took a few steps into the grass, cringing as the tufts ruffled and a Pokemon popped out. Again, I squeezed my eyes shut tight, and crossed my fingers, hoping for the best, as I heard the cry of this little prize:

HOLY MOLY MOTHER OF FREAKING CRAPBALLS, this guy excited me. The best part? THIS LITTLE RALTS WAS A MALE. A boy. And you know what boy Ralts grow up into? Mighty Gallade. Full of excitement, I very carefully whittled down his health, and flung a PokeBall, exhaling in relief as the third "click" passed and Ralts was mine. I raised a wonderful Gallade in my first Pokemon Platinum playthrough several years ago, and affectionately named my baby Ralts "Maux" in honor of that memory.

After spending time training my Pokemon in Route 4, we headed into the enormous city of Lumiose, and were promptly guided to Professor Sycamore's lab by his assistants. After defeating Sycamore in a simple battle, he offered me a choice of three Pokemon: the original starters from Kanto! I itched to welcome a cute little Bulbasaur to my team, but my predetermined rule of "no gift Pokemon" prevented me from doing so. After finishing up exploring the city (and getting a spiffy new haircut!) I departed for Route 5 to continue my adventure.

It was smooth sailing for me from the point of entering Route 5 up until challenging Grant's Rock-type gym in Cyllage City. I explored Routes 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, along with Parfum Palace, Connecting Cave, and Glittering Cave. Despite a few close calls in battles with trainers along the way, all of my Pokemon remained alive and well, and I added a plethora of new teammates to my collection:

Bunnelby, Route 5, nicknamed Bender. I had never raised a Bunnelby before, and despite the fact that it is weak and frail without Huge Power, I still wanted to give the hopping bunny a chance. Besides, it DID have Pickup, which would be useful in a playthrough where I can't buy healing items.

Oddish, Route 6, nicknamed Oddium. Oddium was a pretty disappointing encounter for me. In a route that contains Sentret (a super-cutie,) Honedge (a super-strongie,) Kecleon (a super-coolie,) Espurr (a super-weirdie,) and Nincada (who evolves into my FAVORITE Bug-type,) I was BEYOND excited to add a new Pokemon to my collection. That is, until the grass shifted and an Oddish popped out. My heart sank as I captured the stinky radish and added it to my party. Not only was it disappointing compared to the awesome Pokemon who shared its route, but it was also my second Grass-type. "Oh well; at least it'll be useful in my battle against Grant," I thought.

Flabebe, Route 7, nicknamed Aeris. Here it was, the dreaded Flabebe that I had managed to avoid on Route 4. At least it was blue, my favorite Flabebe color. And nicknaming her "Aeris" after my favorite Final Fantasy character felt appropriate. In my box Aeris went; with Quilladin, Psyduck, Panpour, Oddish, Ralts, and Bunnelby on my team growing stronger, I felt no inclination to add this puny flower fairy to the team.

Whismur, Connecting Cave, nicknamed Boom. Eh, it could have been worse. It could have been a Zubat. But it also could have been a Meditite or Axew. Frustrated with the mediocrity, Whismur went straight to the PC as well, when I had an idea. Having recently passed the daycare center, I decided to leave both Boom and Aeris with them, so they would at least level up as I progressed on my journey.

Inkay, Route 8, nicknamed Scuttle. Now HERE was a Pokemon I could be excited about! The only problem is that, by this point, I was really attached to the six Pokemon who were travelling with me. I boxed Inkay, excited to tap into its potential later in my journey, if need be.

Hippopotas, Route 9, nicknamed Bertha. I've never raised a Hippopotas before, and I surely wasn't going to start now. Bertha (nicknamed after the Ground-type Elite Four member in Sinnoh) went straight to the PC. With all of the switching that comes with my Nuzlocke challenge, I was not about to subject the rest of my vulnerable team to Sand Stream's effects.

Lunatone, Glittering Cave, nicknamed Orbit. Lunatone. In a cave full of awesome Pokemon like Cubone, Rhyhorn, Ferroseed, Kangaskhan, and Mawile, I get stuck with a Lunatone. LUNATONE. What a terrible Pokemon. Little did I know, at that moment, how much I would eventually grow to love and cherish my wonderful Orbit.

Luvdisc, Route 8, nicknamed Creeper. I decided to test my Old Rod out on Route 8, and wound up with a Luvdisc. I couldn't box it quickly enough.

Volbeat, Berry Fields, nicknamed Orb. I had gone back to the Berry Fields to tend my trees, and completely forgot: sometimes Pokemon appear in the shifting trees! I approached the first shaking Oran tree, gave it a good shake, and down fell Volbeat. Just like Luvdisc, Volbeat headed straight to the PC box.

Emolga, Route 10, nicknamed Emopi. "Jeezus bazeezus, I cannot catch a break," I thought as Emolga popped up. I mean, I could have caught a Golett, Sigilyph, Snubbull, Houndour, or Eevee. But no. Instead, I get Emolga. Another weak, non-evolving, seemingly useless Pokemon in the vein of Lunatone, Volbeat, and Luvdisc. However, just like Lunatone, I would grow to love and appreciate my little Emopi.

Discouraged by the slew of unimpressive Pokemon I had been catching lately, I prepared myself for the battle against Grant and his Rock-type brethren. Even though I caught a bunch of crappy Pokemon, I was very happy with my current team, several of whom had evolved:

Hawke the Quilladin, Maux the Kirlia, Oddium the Gloom, Phelps the Panpour (who has learned Scald,) Oracle the Psyduck (who has learned Water Pulse,) and Bender the Diggersby (who has learned Double Kick and Bulldoze) and I approached Grant's gym confidently. I was certain that my Water-, Grass-, and Ground-type Pokemon would be more than enough to handle Grant and his Rock-type team.

And I was right. After blazing through Grant's underlings, Phelps's Scald made quick work of Amaura and Diggersby stomped Tyrunt with a combination of Bulldoze and Double Kick. I grabbed my Cliff Badge and TM 39, promptly teaching Hawke and Bender Rock Tomb.

Confident from my victory against Grant, I headed back to Route 10 to continue my journey...until tragedy hit my team (and my heart) hard.

Chapter Four: Another One Bites the Dust

After my glorious victory over Grant, I stomped arrogantly back onto Route 10, feeling like the world was mine and nothing, no man nor Pokemon, would get in my way. I started defeating the Route 10 trainers one by one, taking no significant blows. A little damage here and there, but my Pokemon rocked the route.

And then, walking through a random patch of grass, a wild Sigilyph popped out. Now, I had been weary of Sigilyph ever since Route 10 opened up to me. They are strong, with good resistances, even at a young level. I really had hoped to catch one for myself, landing my Emopi instead. I approached the Sigilyph cautiously, well aware of its power.

Oracle was the first Pokemon in my party, and out it went, the both of us arrogant from our winning streak. Oracle had about 80 percent health left, so I was sure that it could either handle Sigilyph itself, or that I could switch out before things got too scary. How wrong I was.

Sigilyph moved first, hitting with a Psybeam. Oracle dropped from about 80 percent health to about 45 percent. Oracle countered with Water Pulse, which surprised me by dealing just over half damage to Sigilyph. I was confident that Oracle could absorb another Psybeam, since another Water Pulse would seal the deal for us and earn some great experience. I clicked "Water Pulse," and to this moment, as I type this, I still can't believe what happened next.

"The wild Sigilyph used Psywave." PSYWAVE. I've never been afraid of Psywave, never had a reason to. Until now. Because Sigilyph's Psywave brought unprecedented power, hitting from the high end of its potential spectrum, and I gasped as Oracle's health dropped to 0.

Oracle had become one of my favorite teammates. Water Pulse was powerful, and it had Return, Confusion, and Shadow Claw in its arsenal as well. I regret not being more cautious with him, and he was a heavy hit, a heavy loss, and left me with a heavy heart.

I don't even remember what I used next against Sigilyph; the loss of Oracle blinded me, and I wanted to kill that Sigilyph, kill it dead, any way, any how. And I accomplished that, even though I can't remember how.

I fought past the flimsy Team Flair members left on Route 10, and found myself in the town of Geosenge. There wasn't much there for my team or myself, and still reeling from the loss of my precious Psyduck, I healed quickly and I perused the Pokemon in my PC box, and wasn't happy. Nothing stood out to me. There were no Pokemon that I wanted to train. So instead, I headed to Route 11, where I knew another Pokemon awaited me.

I stumbled into the grass, hoping and wishing for something powerful. With a team of five, I desperately wanted something useful. After roaming a bit, a mighty 'mon popped out, and my wish was granted:

F&*! YES! Hariyama? I'll take that! It might not be stellar in competitive play, but in-game, this Pokemon packs a mighty punch, pun intended. I sent Maux out, who quadruple resisted potential Fighting-type attacks, and could launch Thunder Wave back to cripple Hariyama, which is the path I took. What followed broke my heart almost as much as losing Oracle.

"Maux used Thunder Wave! The wild Hariyama became paralyzed.

The wild Hariyama used Whirlwind!"

.....................well there goes that. A waste of a route. Through Nuzlocke rules, I have to catch the FIRST Pokemon I encounter in an area, and if that Pokemon is knocked out or removes me from battle, then that area is a loss. No Hariyama for me. What luck. What terrible luck.

Glum, let down, and feeling defeated, I continued my way through the route in a haze. I beat a couple trainers and wandered up a hill, where a brains and brawn couple waited for me. I felt relatively confident about this battle, knowing that my Kirlia and Panpour, with Confusion and Shadow Claw respectively, could handle whatever Fighting- and Psychic- or Ghost-types this couple shared.

I sent my Pokemon out; as did they. Machoke and Mr. Mime broke onto the scene, and my mood switched from hazy discontent to a twitchy panic. These were strong Pokemon, potentially stronger than anything my team could muster. Maux and Phelps were at full health, so I kept them in for a round. Mr. Mime moved first with Reflect, weakening Phelps's Shadow Claw, which only dealt 1/3 damage to the Psychic-Mon. Despite its 4x resistance to Fighting-type moves, Kirlia frail physical defense was hit hard by Machoke's Low Sweep, dealing well over half damage.

Seeing Kirlia get hit so hard snapped me back into reality; I was NOT going to lose this Pokemon. I was NOT going to lose my future Gallade. But what could take a hit? Gloom would lose to Psybeam from Mr. Mime, Quilladin only had 1/2 health, and Diggersby was weak to Machoke. I felt screwed, like no matter what, I would lose another precious Pokemon partner. So who was the weakest link? Who had the least potential? Who would help me least in the long run?

I recalled Maux, and reluctantly swapped in Bender. Diggersby, who had grown on me, was great in the moment, the right here and right now; it HAD just helped me win against Grant's Tyrunt, afterall. But I thought about things to come, and how frail and weak Diggersby was. Compared to what could come in the future with Gallade, Chesnaught, Vileplume, or Bellossom, I was most comfortable with losing Diggersby.

Here is what happened next.

"Maux, great job! Come back.
Diggersby, go!

Mr. Mime used Light Screen! The opponent's special defense rose.

Phelps used Shadow Claw. Critical hit! The opponent's Mr. Mime fainted.
The opponent's Machoke used Low Sweep.
It's super effective!
Diggersby fainted."

And that was it. Another Pokemon casualty. Another teammate, lost and gone forever. Thanks for all of your hard work, Bender. You will be missed.

Despite Bender's death, I still had a Machoke to defeat. With Mr. Mime gone, I could send in Gloom with little worry, and a combination of Scald from Phelps and Venoshock from Oddium took the battle for me. The victory was little consolation for the fact that I had just lost Bender. Down to four Pokemon on my party, I headed back to the Pokemon Center, reluctantly ready to add two more Pokemon to my team.

Taking a look in my box, and remembering who was at the daycare center, these were my options:

Nothing excited me. Nothing stood out. Volbeat and Luvdisc certainly were not going to happen, and neither was Hippopotas, thanks to its nasty Sand Stream ability. Thinking about the upcoming Fighting-type gym in Shalour City, I narrowed my focus to Flabebe, Lunatone, and Emolga. Despite having a type advantage, I knew that Flabebe's physical frailty would still be a hindrance in Korrina's gym, and so I withdrew Lunatone and Emolga, whose Psychic-type and Flying-type attacks, respectively, could help secure victory against Korrina.

I headed to the Battle Chateau to train my new teammates, and quickly fell in love with them. Sure, they aren't the most impressive Pokemon on paper. Their stats are mediocre, but I learned quickly that, at this point in the game, their movepools were impressive. I befriended them to the max in PokemonAmie, and headed back to Route 11 and Reflection Cave.

Reflection Cave was my chance to make a comeback with my team. I was satisfied with my newest additions, but Reflection Cave is home to gems such as Mr. Mime, Solosis, Carbink, and Sableye. I walked into the cave, and quickly (and with frustration) came across my new Pokemon:

A. Mother. Freaking. ROGGENROLA. Now, Roggenrola is legit, evolving into Gigalith eventually, who has a lot of potential in-game. So why the frustration?

Thanks to my predetermined Nuzlocke challenge rule, I would NEVER have my precious Gigalith, who only evolves through trades. I told myself that, upon taking on this challenge, I would NEVER break the rules I had set. So into the box Roggenrola went, with yet ANOTHER area providing me with a useless Pokemon.

I fought and fought and fought some more in Reflection Cave, training my team up, and thoroughly impressed with my new additions in Orbit and Emopi, who were quickly becoming powerhouses on my team, learning Psychic, Rock Slide, ElectroBall, and Acrobatics.

I made it through the cave and into Shalour City, but beelined to the grass on Route 12. I knew that Route 12 would NOT let me down; I would have been happy to raise EVERY SINGLE Pokemon on that route. In the grass I went, and out popped:

Here was my big break. Tauros is an absolute BEAST in-game, and this one came packed with Intimidate, an ever-useful ability. Phelps had gone out to start the fight. I used Return, reluctant to use Scald, since Tauros is difficult to catch, and I didn't a burn to take it out. Tauros hit back hard, and I was worried that Phelp and his frail defenses couldn't handle Tauros' power. I quickly switched to Emolga, who could hit it with a Thunder Wave and take at least one hit. Emolga went out, and Tauros used Rest, recovering its health. Okay, not how I expected things to go, but it's asleep, and that's good. I had to choose between Acrobatics and Electro Ball; both were powerful enough to do a lot of damage, but I didn't expect either to hit with a OHKO.

I selected Acrobatics, and yelped with disgust as a critical hit landed, knocking Tauros to zero health, killing it in one shot. My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe this awful luck. PokemonAmie backfired on me, and Emopi killed what could have been an excellent teammate.

My head hung low, I walked back to Shalour City, and healed my Pokemon up. This was a rough run; I saved my game happy with my team, but the feeling was definitely unbalanced, as my frustrations overwhelmed any happy feelings. Hopefully the next chapter holds happier stories and stronger Pokemon. I'll need them. Powerful gyms lie ahead of us, and we'll need all the help we can get.

Current Team:

Casualties:

Cemetery

Last edited:
Alright, guys! It's been forever since I posted last, and I've got good news: I completed my Pokemon Y Nuzlocke challenge SUCCESSFULLY! I beat the Elite Four, Champion, and AZ, successfully completing my challenge. Instead of posting a long, boring, detailed story of how I got there, I will just post my final team, and my final cemetery.

The Team

Vileplume (Oddium): Level 71

Toxic, Petal Dance, Sludge Bomb, Dazzling Gleam
Oddium stuck around ever since it joined my team on Route 6. I was initially disappointed when Oddish appeared, but Oddium proved to be really useful through the rest of the game.

Chesnaught (Hawke): Level 70
Seed Bomb, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Hammer Arm
Yes, folks! My sweet little Chespin stuck around for the entire duration of my challenge. I was particularly careful with it, and managed to keep my starter alive. It varied in usefulness, though; I didn't use it a single time in the battles against the Elite Four, Diantha, and AZ.

Malamar (Scuttle): Level 72
Night Slash, Psycho Cut, Superpower, Thunderbolt
I caught Inkay early on in my Nuzlocke challenge, but kept it in the box, skeptical of what it could actually accomplish. But when my team became very weak to Ice-type before facing the final gym, I added it to the party, hoping to take advantage of Contrary Superpower. Scuttle did NOT let me down. It was surprisingly powerful and bulky, and helped me win my last gym badge, along with the Elite Four. Scuttle (and Florges) gave me the epitome of what Nuzlocke means: using Pokemon you've never used before, and falling in love.

Florges (Bleu): Level 73
Calm Mind, Psychic, Energy Ball, Moon Blast
I hated life when Flabebe popped up as my Pokemon for Route 7. It lived in my box forever, until before the Elite Four, when I was hurting for solid team members. Reluctantly, I added Flabebe to my team, and boy, did it prove me wrong. Bleu was a powerhouse Pokemon that really helped me conquer Victory Road, the Elite Four, and Diantha. Like I said, Florges and Malamar really drove the point of a Nuzlocke challenge home for me.

Klefki (Karn): Level 72
Calm Mind, Foul Play, Mirror Shot, Dazzling Gleam
Karn also really surprised me with its usefulness. On paper, it's not that bulky or that powerful. However, thanks to Prankster Calm Mind, Karn could boost quickly, and his typing gave my team a much-needed Ice-type resistance. Once I added him to the team for the final gym, I knew that he was permanent, and took good care of him through the end of the game.

Garchomp (Shepard): Level 75
Crunch, Fire Blast, Earthquake, Dragon Claw
Here it is, folks: my win condition. Garchomp proved every bit to be the beast that it has been reputed since Gen IV. I sacrificed a Tentacool to capture Gible, and it was very well worth it. Garchomp is a beast. It's powerful. It's bulky. It's incredible. It honestly felt a little like cheating using Garchomp, since it was so good. But hey, I caught it fair and square, and played with it smartly so as not to lose it to an unexpected Ice-type attack. Garchomp helped me win everything, plain and simple.

So there it is. My final team. Challenge completed. It was a great run, and even though I almost gave up a few times, I kept on going, and fell in love with Pokemon I never expected to like. Thanks for reading, everyone! Next I'll be taking on Pokemon Soul Silver, so expect some Nuzlocke updates on that as I go along.

And for those interested, here is my final cemetery (in order of death:)
Azurill, Pidgey, Psyduck, Diggersby, Gallade, Tentacool, Emolga, Sneasel, Poliwhirl, Goodra, Lunatone, Simipour, Boldore, Floatzel, Slowbro, Azumarill.

And,if you're curious, here are the Pokemon I had left in my box upon completion:
Luvdisc, Volbeat, Jynx, Ursaring, Basculin, Yveltal (caught but never used,) Sandslash, Weepinbell, Quagsire, Haunter, and Druddigon.

(First, my sincere apologies for a double-post, but the last post summed up my previous challenge, and this post introduces my next, so it's necessary.)

Alright, guys! Having just finished my Pokemon Y Nuzlocke Challenge, I'm excited to get started with my Pokemon Soul Silver Nuzlocke Challenge. Before I start, here are the rules I will be following:
1. Pokemon that faint are put into a “Cemetery” box.

2. My starter will depend on what number my trainer ID ends with. 1-3 means Chikorita, 4-6 means Cyndaquil, and 7-9 means Totodile. If it ends with 0, I will release my starter Pokemon and use the first Pokemon I catch instead.

3. I can only catch the first Pokemon I find per route. If that Pokemon flees or is knocked out, then I cannot catch a Pokemon on that route.

5. Legendary Pokemon can be caught, but must immediately go into the "cemetery" box.

6. Gift Pokemon can used if it is the first Pokemon I encounter in the area.

7. I cannot trade Pokemon.

8. Once I enter a gym, I cannot leave until I beat the leader or lose.

9. I can catch the first Pokemon I encounter on a route via fishing OR surfing (NOT BOTH), using Headbutt, and using Rock Smash, separate from wild encounters in grass.

10. Duplicate Pokemon do not count towards my capture number if found in grass. (ex. If I catch a Rattata in the first route, and run into a Rattata first in the next route, it does not count. Surfing or fishing duplicates cancel that option out for the route it happens on.)

11. No running is allowed – I must defeat any wild Pokemon that I encounter. (However, Repels are allowed.)

12. I must play with the "set" battle style.

13. My challenge is over once I have defeated Pokemon Trainer Red.

14. The challenge is lost if, at any point, I have no usable Pokemon. So, if all of my party Pokemon are knocked out, and I have no usable Pokemon in my PC, I lose.

What do you guys think of my rules? Anything you would add or change? I'll be starting this challenge this evening, and I'm very excited to get started.

Because this challenge will take such a long time due to the LONG game play in Soul Silver to reach Red, I will be posting sporadically. Instead of "story telling," I will try to post after every gym battle, to keep you guys up-to-date with my teams.

My god, I haven't been on here in forever. I totally feel like doing an Alpha Sapphire Nuzlocke. :D I'm so bad at these types of things though, the last Locke type thing I've done was on Y, and I got trashed by Olympia. ;~;

Okay, I'm going to ask two pretty simple questions before talking about my three latest Nuzlocke attempts. How do you keep motivated to grind so much? This is especially an issue in games where you do not have the versus seeker or easily re-battle able trainers, such as Pokemon Emerald. Also How do you motivate yourself to start again after a lost challenge?

TL;DR: I lost because my team was far under leveled.

Rules:
1. If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead and must be released.
2. You may only catch the first Pokemon, you have not caught before, you see in a new area.

Team before I lost:
(
)

I did a Nuzlocke of Pokemon Emerald, and I'm not happy with how it turned out to say the least. I had too many deaths, and most of my gym battles I won, with an under leveled team, because of X-items. I got to the 7th gym where I lost my highest level Pokemon, Alakazam, as well as my Gyarados. After that the run was pretty easy until Victory Road. I trained op a Magneton and had a strong team of Swampert (Lv. 48), Magneton (Lv. 45) Absol (Lv. 38) Breloon (Lv. 39) and Camerubt (Lv. 40). I went into the cave and fought Wally, everything went well until Gardevoir came out. It spammed double team, calm mind and future sight. Stupid as I were, I forgot it couldn't touch Absol. I sent out Magneton because of its resistance towards psychic, but it eventually went down to future sights. I did beat Wally, but I was left with a very weak team at the time I reached the Elite Four. I managed to get to the champion, however my team wasn't strong enough and I lost the challenge. I went into the elite four with only four ''strong'' Pokemon, being the same team without Magneton, with only Swampert at level 50 and the rest between 40 and 45.

TL;DR: I lost because I couldn't hit Berry's Staravia because of double team.

Rules:
1. If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead and must be released.
2. You may only catch the first Pokemon, you have not caught before, you see in a new area.
3. No items can be used in-battle. Held items are fine.

Team before I lost:

This is probably one of my favorite Nuzlocke Challenges I have done so far, until I reached the 4th (5th) gym. I had a few major deaths, but there wasn't a lot at the same time, meaning I didn't really have to stop up and grind a whole lot at any point. After beating the 3rd gym (or 4th, I'm not really sure what to call it) I had a pretty cool team consisting of Machop, Haunter, Monferno, Bronzor, Crobat and Meditite. I did some traning and got them all to level 32 and evolved Haunter and Machoke. I was left with a really strong team. I had a lot of fighting types, but I was sure I would be fine. I made my way to Pastoria City, where I ran into Berry. I though he would be a total pushover, considering my above average strong Pokemon, but how wrong i were. He led out with Staravia and I let out with Monferno and switched to Bronzor. Berry started to spam double team and took out my Bronzor in a whooping 9 hits. Staravia proceeded to sweep my entire team, avoiding every attack I threw at it.

TL;DR: I got flinched 2 times in a row and lost.

Rules:
1. If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead and must be permanently boxed (I wanted to play the game even if I lost the challenge).
3. No items can be used in-battle. Held items are fine.

Team before I lost:

This was my first ever blind Nuzlocke, and it started out pretty damn well. I chose Oshawat, and got a free Pansear before the first gym. Everything went well, I caught a Sweadle and a Timburr, which I was very happy with. Timburr and Pansear died at the time I reached the 3rd gym, but I was able to catch Victiny, so I was pretty happy. Everything went well until the 5th gym. I made my way to the leader and took out his first Pokemon, leaving him with only Excadrill left. It took my Leavanny down, but I did a good chunk of damage to it. I sent out Dewott which almost took it out before getting hit be a Bulldoze. Dewott still had a little more than half HP left, so i thought I'd won the match with my two strongest Pokemon still alive.

Excadrill used Rock Slide, Dewott flinched.
Excadrill used Bulldoze, Dewott fainted.
Locke sent out Victiny.
Excadrill used Rock Slide, Victiny flinched.
Excadrill used Rock Slide, Victiny fainted.

The rest of my Pokemon were all pretty weak, so they went down easily.

Okay, I'm going to ask two pretty simple questions before talking about my three latest Nuzlocke attempts. How do you keep motivated to grind so much? This is especially an issue in games where you do not have the versus seeker or easily re-battle able trainers, such as Pokemon Emerald. Also How do you motivate yourself to start again after a lost challenge?
I suppose I'll weigh in since...well...I don't grind?

In Nuzlockes, there's a general snowball effect that when you lose a mon, you lose a lot of progress because you lost quite a bit of EXP. As a result, the best way to play Nuzlockes is to not lose any mons. That may seem easier said than done but I've done Black, Platinum, and Emerald nuzlockes with the Grass starters and not lost a single mon. Now, in Black there's a bit more room for error and the power of the mons can carry even a decimated team forward, but generally it's good to avoid such losses.

-Always stock up. At some point you stop needing Poke Balls because the early-game mons+your starter can carry you anyway through the rest of the game, provided they don't die. Thus you should always have healing items, and plenty of them. The key to healing item use is to use them as liberally as possible without being outright wasteful. If, for example, you are vulnerable to hitting self->crit Wing Attack, which would kill you, you should heal, no matter how close to full you are. If you think it might kill you, you should heal. If you think there's the slightest chance something might kill, you should heal.
-X-Item abuse. Some major fights will outright OHKO your entire team if you don't cheese the encounter with X-Items. If you're not using X-Items, you'd have to grind a bit in preparation for the fight. I did manage to pull off deathless Treecko and Snivy runs without a single X-Item, but it involved a bit of encounter luck (Scraggy in Black and Electrike/Torkoal in Emerald), a bit of grinding, and a fuckton of healing items. If you believe an encounter will require, say, hitting an HJK at a crucial moment, then you should either use X-Items to reduce or eliminate the hax or save/reset if you get a bad outcome.
-Manage your TM usage. I've done successful runs without them (I don't think I used X-Items in that run either), but generally the power they offer is incredible. Always consider, however, keeping weak high-PP moves until end-game in order to facilitate grinding.
-Abuse the AI if possible. It's really unpredictable at times but switch-stalling works wonderfully if all else fails.

For challenge runs (such as no TMs or no in-battle item use) the strategy changes up a little. Knowledge of AI patterns and teams is paramount here--your Platinum run, for instance, could have been salvaged with minimal effort by leading with a mon that could OHKO/2HKO Staravia and saving before the battle. No TM runs require luck in catches because level-up movepools are your only source of moves, and gift Pokemon such as Castform and Pansear/sage/pour are incredible due to their movepools. Generally you would want to search in areas with high probabilities of finding such Pokemon.

The most viable alternative strategy, of course, is to essentially solo the game with one Pokemon. But really, what's the fun in that?

I also thought about including another rule to increase difficulty a bit more:

Optional Rule 1: Pokemon may only hold items. Additional hold items (including mega stones) may not be used.

What do you all think of this rule? Is it worth adding to my list? Or do you think it would make it too difficult?
I don't understand this rule at all? An item is the only kind of thing a Pokemon can hold; they can't hold anything else. What makes a particular hold item "additional"? Did you mean "No using items except hold items"?

Finished my X Nuzlocke. :D

Final team!!!
*Warning* Many GIFs. :P

McCloud Lvl 71.
Cut
Flamethrower
Fire Blast
Psychic

Spirit of Christmas (SpiritOfXmas) Lvl 63.
Horn Leech
Night Slash
Moonblast
Megahorn

Borealis Lvl 62.
Light Screen
Thunderbolt
Ancient Power
Ice Beam

Pierce Lvl 58.
Low Sweep
Iron Head
Iron Defense
Night Slash

Champ Lvl 60.
Hydro Pump
Body Slam
Ice Beam
Surf

Crystal Lvl 68.
Bonemerang
Strength
Power-Up Punch
Rock Smash

Graveyard includes...
BuzzBuzzBuzz the Kakuna, Lady Knight the Honedge, Ashley the Pikachu, Lancelot the Ralts, Goldenrod the Floette, Sycamore the Venusaur, Eragon the Vibrava, Pingu the Delibird, and Anubis the Lucario.

Extra Pokemon includes...
Kitkat the Skitty, Bacon the Spoink, Houdini the Abra, Aster the Whismur, Miss Stinkel the Stunky, Dead Dead the Wobbueffet (Never wanted to use her. NEVER), Thumper the Steelix, Iron Giant the Golett, Vincent the Slowking, The Looker the Watchog, Blizzard the Cubchoo, NightNight2 the Noctowl, Prayer the Scyther, Lolly the Likitung, BodyBuilder the Gurdurr, and TripleTruouble the Zwelious.[/hide[

Alright, this looks like fun so, I'm going to post the team from a current nuzlocke(White version)
This one has been surprisingly frustrating.

Currently journeying to Opeclucid City with an extremely overleveled team because I'm paranoid.

Using standard nuzlocke rules.

Current Team:

Cecil (Samurott) lvl 45
Timid Nature
Moves:
Revenge
Waterfall
Surf
Aqua Jet

Struggled a LOT early game, required a bit of babying because it wasn't killing anything with razor shell. Improved a lot after becoming a samurott, and the fact that it seems to be raining 75% of the time helps its somewhat weaker physical attacks.

Rocksanne (Gigalith) lvl 45
Jolly Nature
Moves:
Rock Blast
Rock Slide
Bulldoze
Strength

Easily one of the MVPs of the run, has saved many a teammate from death with a combination of bulkiness and Sturdy. Has soloed no less than three gyms. Was underrated at first, until it performed very well in Lenora's gym.

Senor Fluf (Liepard) lvl 44
Serious Nature
Moves:
Night Slash
Shadow Ball
Fake Out
Assist

The second longest lasting member of the team ironically. I made a promise to it that I would complete the run with it, and it has pulled a surprising amount of weight, coming in to use its blistering speed to kill stuff. Assist is always fun, and often brings up some good moves.

Dundee (Krookidile) lvl 46
Careful Nature
Moves:
Bulldoze
Crunch
Dig
Foul Play

A valued teammate, strong, powerful, and waaaay too good at what he does. Moxie is such a massively strong ability that he tends to sweep easily. Tends to hog Exp.

Seamstress (Leavanny) lvl 45
Modest Nature
Moves:
X-Scissor
Bug Bite
Leaf Blade
Grass Knot

Surprisingly strong despite its nature and weak typing. Powerful moves, high speed and decent bulk have allowed her to get pretty far. Had a really bad scare vs a air cutter in an unexpected double battle, but lived through it.

Zap (Eelectross) lvl 46
Lax Nature
Moves:
Crunch
Acrobatics
Thunderbolt
Thunder(will be replaced by another move)

Newest team member, and by far the biggest challenge to raise. Tynamo was quite possibly the most annoying thing to level up ever due to being both slow to level AND very weak. the 3rd replacement for a valued teammate that died.

Dead:
Piper (lilipup) lvl 12
Naughty Nature
Tackle
Bite
leer
Odor Sleuth

Died in the first gym to a crit vine whip. Would've lived otherwise.

Slippy (Tympole) lvl 14
Naive Nature
Bubble
Supersonic
?
? I don't remember its moves offhand

Died while training to a Timbur

Tina (simisear) (lvl 29)
Bold Nature
Bite
Work Up
Cut
Flame Burst

Died to crit Take Down from a Herdier. Would've lived to retire after Clay

OCD (cinncino) lvl 39
Adamant Nature
Tail Slap
Bullet Seed
Swift
Encore

A valued Teammate that died to a Cheren battle. His unfezant double critted Air slash. Rest In Peace.

Lamp (Litwick) lvl 30
Mild Nature
Still had its on capture moveset.

Died to a Crit Spark from a zebstrika. Was being trained to replace OCD

Elliot (deerling) lvl 33
Hasty Nature
Take Down
Jump Kick
Aromatherapy
Return

Second Replacement for OCD. Died to a Watchog after missing a Jump Kick.

This run has been pretty hard, despite a solid team(thus the Overleveled team right now). I hope to beat the Elite four after mopping the floor with Iris.

Dunno if you're allowed to post variants(Wonderlocke,Wedlocke,etc.) here but w/ever

RULES for wonderlocke: Pokemon Y edition
1: Fainted= Dead, must be placed in a box
2: Blacks out= game over
3: Start out with 6 Pokemon(catch 5 Pidgeys or something then move to #4)
4: After you catch a wild pokemon, nickname it and immediately Wonder Trade it off
5: Only the first Wild Pokemon in 2 routes may be caught and WT'd off.
6: If you get a Pokemon you've already got, you may WT it back off.
7: Battle Style is Set

Team So Far:

Pharris(Deino)
Lv.15/Male/Gentle
Ability: Hustle
-Slam
-Dragon Pulse
-Bite
-Head Smash

Electrike
Lv.12/Female/Timid
Ability: Static
-Discharge
-Howl
-Flame Burst
-Thunder Wave

Tyrunt
Lv.11/Male/Quirky
Ability: Strong Jaw
-Roar
-Stomp
-Dragon Dance
-Poison Fang

Aerodactyl
Lv.20/Male/Gentle
Ability: Pressure
-Bite
-Scary Face
-Roar
-Agility

Wailmer
Lv.30/Male/Lax
Ability: Water Veil
-Water Pulse
-Mist
-Brine
-Rest

Forretress
Lv.37/Male/Naive
Ability: Sturdy
-Spikes
-Mirror Shot
-Automotize
-Payback

Graveyard

<Japanese name here>(Beldum)
Lv.8/None/Unknown
Ability: Clear Body
-Take Down
(COD: Riolu Counter)

Last edited:
This absolutely needs life. bumpa

Started a BLaze Black 2 egglocke, wasnt so successful the first time. Got absolutely demolished by the second poison gym leader.
Wasn't so lucky with my eggs.

Will try again today, hopefully i get a better batch of eggs.

A few questions relating to a Nuzlocke I'm doing in X:
1. I caught an Azurill at Level 5 on Route 3, and it's now Level 20 at Glittering Cave without evolving. Has not fainted (duh), have not fed it anything. Does it usually take this long?
2. How's my team on this Nuzlocke? Parentheses are the level. Just got the Jaw Fossil.

Azurill (20)
Thick Fat
- Bubble Beam
- Return
- Slam
- Charm

Braixen (19)
Blaze
- Ember
- Flame Charge
- Scratch
- Psybeam

Pancham (18)
Iron Fist
- Karate Chop
- Cut
- Rock Smash
- Work Up

Fletchinder (19)
Flame Body
- Ember
- Peck
- Quick Attack
- Agility

Ivysaur (18)
Overgrow
- Venoshock
- Take Down
- Leech Seed
- Vine Whip

Flabebe (18)
Flower Veil
- Razor Leaf
- Tackle
- Fairy Wind
- Lucky Chant

I also have a Level 14 Hippopotas, the Tyrunt I'm about to get, and a Level 17 Solrock. Could any of those guys switch in?

A few questions relating to a Nuzlocke I'm doing in X:
1. I caught an Azurill at Level 5 on Route 3, and it's now Level 20 at Glittering Cave without evolving. Has not fainted (duh), have not fed it anything. Does it usually take this long?
2. How's my team on this Nuzlocke? Parentheses are the level. Just got the Jaw Fossil.

Azurill (20)
Thick Fat
- Bubble Beam
- Return
- Slam
- Charm

Braixen (19)
Blaze
- Ember
- Flame Charge
- Scratch
- Psybeam

Pancham (18)
Iron Fist
- Karate Chop
- Cut
- Rock Smash
- Work Up

Fletchinder (19)
Flame Body
- Ember
- Peck
- Quick Attack
- Agility

Ivysaur (18)
Overgrow
- Venoshock
- Take Down
- Leech Seed
- Vine Whip

Flabebe (18)
Flower Veil
- Razor Leaf
- Tackle
- Fairy Wind
- Lucky Chant

I also have a Level 14 Hippopotas, the Tyrunt I'm about to get, and a Level 17 Solrock. Could any of those guys switch in?
Azurill evolves via friendship, and that can take a long time to build up naturally. On the positive, once it does evolve into Marill, it should evolve into Azumarill shortly after. (shame about not getting Huge Power though)

Tyrunt could, it'll be revived at level 20. Solrock is terrible, and Hippopotas' Sand Stream may lead to possible deaths, and the upcoming gym's Pokemon would all get a Sp. Def. boost thanks to it...

Thanks. Tyrunt would probably be the best option going forward if I were to replace anything.

The reason why the levels are so low is because of a self-imposed "no Exp. Share" restriction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)