The Next Type (Current Types: Dinosaur, Light, and Space)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Arcticblast

Inspired by the Create-A-Pokemon project, I present to you, "The Next Type"! In this metagame, we introduce a whole new type, retype some Pokemon with it, and see if it can become competitively viable. So far this is what we got:

Type chart:
Attacking:

X2 Electric
X1/2 Steel
X0 None
Defending:
X2 Ice, Poison
X1/2 Fire, Electric
X0 None

Pokemon that receive the new type:
The following Pokemon and their pre-evolutions receive a type change:

Tyrantrum, Tyranitar, and Rampardos- Rock/Dinosaur

Aerodactyl - Dinosaur/Flying

Nidoking and Nidoqueen - Poison/Dinosaur

Meganium, Tropius, and Sceptile - Grass/Dinosaur

Feraligator and Slowbro - Water/Dinosaur

Garchomp and Marowak - Ground/Dinosaur

Druddigon and Haxorus - Dinosaur

Kyurem - Dinosaur/Ice

Aurorus - Dinosaur/Ice

Aggron and Bastiodon - Steel/Dinosaur

New Moves:
Dino Jaw (Tyrantrum family's signature move) - 80 power, physical, direct contact, 15 PP, 100% accuracy, 20% chance of flinching, powered up by Strong Jaw

Dino Tail - 120 power, physical, direct contact, 10 PP, 85% accuracy, no effect

Dino Claw - 90 power, physical, direct contact, 15 PP, 100% accuracy, no effect

Dino Blast - 90 power, special, 15 PP, 100% accuracy, no effect

Dino Charge - 40 power, physical, direct contact, 30 PP, 100% accuracy, +1 priority

Dino Roar - status, 20 PP, never misses, -6 priority, forces out the target and lowers the defense of the incoming target by 1 stage

Pump Up - status, 25 PP, raises attack, defense, and special defense by one stage

Ancient Screech - 40 power, special, 10 PP, 100% accuracy, 100% flinch chance, only works on first turn the user is in battle, +3 priority

Smash - 150 power, physical, direct contact, 5 PP, 80% accuracy, 1/2 recoil.

Super Charge: 150 power, physical, direct contact, 5 PP, 90% accuracy, recharge after use

Hibernate: Rest clone

*Note that all Dinosaur-types get these moves

Retyped moves:

Ancientpower

Type chart:

Attacking:
X2 Bug, Ghost, Space, Poison
X1/2 Grass, Water, Steel, Ice
X0 None
Defending:
X2 Grass, Ice
X1/2 Ghost, Poison, Bug, Fire, Light
X0 None

Starmie, Milotic, Lanturn, Lumineon, and Manaphy: Water/Light

Ampharos and Raichu: Electric/Light

Sunflora and Lilligant: Grass/Light

Victini: Fire/Light

Volbeat and Illumise: Bug/Light

Latios and Latias: Dragon/Light

Lucario: Fighting / Light

Florges: Fairy / Light

Espeon: Light

New Moves:
Light Speed - 40 BP, special, 30 PP, 100% accuracy, +1 priority.

Sparkling Dance - status, 20 PP, raises the user's special attack and speed by one stage

Luminous Beam - 95 BP, special, 10 PP, 100% accuracy, 10% chance to lower special defense

Radiant Rain - 120 BP, special, 5 PP, 85% accuracy, 10% chance to lower special defense

Shining Slash - 100 BP, physical, direct contact, 10 PP, 100% accuracy, no effect

Holy Flame - 80 BP, special, 10 PP, 100% accuracy, 30% chance to burn target

*Note that all Light-types get these moves

Retyped moves:
Aurora Beam
Mirror Shot
Signal Beam
Tail Glow
Light of Ruin
Reflect
Light Screen
Flash
Luster Purge
Mist Ball
Lunar Dance
Sunny Day
Morning Sun
Reflect Type
Mirror Coat
Mirror Move

Type chart:
Attacking:

X2 Fire, Water, Electric, Ground, Flying
X1/2 Steel, Rock, Ice
X0 None
Defending:
X2 Steel, Light, Rock
X1/2 Fire, Water, Electric, Ground
X0 Flying

Palkia: Dragon/Space

Clefable: Fairy/Space

Unown, Deoxys, and Cresselia: Space

Lunatone and Solrock: Rock/Space

Jirachi: Space/Steel

Beheeyem and Gothitelle: Psychic/Space

Claydol: Ground/Space

Hoopa: Ghost/Space

New Moves:
Gravity Pull: status, 5 PP, prevents both sides from switching for three turns. The use of U-turn, Volt Switch, Red Card, Shed Shell, etc... are exceptions.

Gravity Crush: 75 BP, special, 15 PP, 95% accuracy, 50% chance to lower target's special defense

Galaxy Beam: 90 BP, special, 10 PP, 100% accuracy, 10% chance to lower target's special defense

Galaxy Blast: 110 BP, special, 5 PP, 85% accuracy, 10% chance to lower target's special defense

Comet Strike: 130 BP, special, 5 PP, 90% accuracy, lowers user's special attack by 2 stages

Gravity Fall: - BP, special, 5 PP, 100% accuracy, deals more damage based on how much slower the user is than the target, caps at 150 BP

*Note that all Space-types get these moves

Retyped Moves:
Hyperspace Hole
Cosmic Power
Wish
Gravity
Spatial Rend
Healing Wish
Moonlight

Current type we are discussing: None atm.
Have a happy new typing!

Last edited:

Valmanway

One notable Pokemon that gets the Dinosaur-typing, and my personal favorite to get it, is Garchomp. Garchomp now has perfect neutral coverage with Dino/Ground coverage aside from Steel-types with Air Balloon or Bronzong. Defensively, while the Bullet Punch weakness hurts, countering Volt/Turn strategies with the extra Bug resistance is a good thing to have, and the Flying resistance helps greatly when against Talonflame's Brave Birds.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Does the typing of Kyurem/Garchomp/Tyranitar/Aerodactyl/Venusaur go to their forms/megas?
But Kyurem-Black now has priority. And Tyranitar. And Garchomp. And every other physical powerhouse. Crap.

Couple questions:
Since Ancientpower is Dinosaur type too, do all new Dinosaurs get that?
Do any non-Dinosaur types get the new moves? Besides Smeargle, obviously.
Will the public be able to vote on new types when the time comes?

This looks really fun, can't wait to try it out! Btw great job on the weaknesses/resistances.

Valmanway

Does the typing of Kyurem/Garchomp/Tyranitar/Aerodactyl/Venusaur go to their forms/megas?
But Kyurem-Black now has priority. And Tyranitar. And Garchomp. And every other physical powerhouse. Crap.

Couple questions:
Since Ancientpower is Dinosaur type too, do all new Dinosaurs get that?
Do any non-Dinosaur types get the new moves? Besides Smeargle, obviously.
Will the public be able to vote on new types when the time comes?

This looks really fun, can't wait to try it out! Btw great job on the weaknesses/resistances.
Mega Evolutions and alternate forms get the Dinosaur typing, yes. Dinosaur-types get Ancientpower. Non-Dinosaur-types might be able to get these moves, but I'd like to focus on just Dino-types getting Dino-type moves for now. And I'd absolutely love to have people submit ideas for a new type; the more, the merrier.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Dinosaur / Fighting coverage looks very good, as Fighting-type attacks hit Steel and Ice SE as well as hitting Fire neutrally. In return, Dinosaur attacks hit Bug and Flying SE, and Poison, Psychic, and Fairy neutrally. So how do we bring this two-attack combo together? Well, let me show you.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Dino Tail / Dino Claw
- Stone Edge

Dino STAB: Grass, Bug, Flying, and (for competitive reasons) Dark are weak to it
Focus Punch: Normal, Rock, Steel, Ice, and Dark
Stone Edge: Flying, Bug, Fire, and Ice

Grass, Bug, Flying, Dark, Normal, Rock, Steel, Ice, and Fire types are all hit SE by these three moves alone! Nothing resists it in OU, I believe, and the new typing lets it force many more switches.

Fun, amirite?

EV

Banned deucer.
Venusaur is very glad to have Thick Fat in Mega form though I can see its bulk questioned now that it lost a resistance to Fighting and neutrality to Ice.

New defensive type-effectiveness:
4x weak to Ice, 2x weak to Fire, Poison, Steel, .5x weak to Ground, Electric, .25x weak to Grass, Water.

PLS MAKE ARCHEOPS DINO ROCK
Chomp (Tyrantrum family's signature move) - 80 power, physical, direct contact, 15 PP, 100% accuracy, 20% chance of flinching, powered up by Strong Jaw

Tail Slam - 120 power, physical, direct contact, 10 PP, 85% accuracy, no effect

Saur-Claw - 90 power, physical, direct contact, 15 PP, 100% accuracy, no effect

Primal Blast - 90 power, special, 15 PP, 100% accuracy, no effect(my preffered move: special priority.)

Primal Rush - 40 power, physical, direct contact, 30 PP, 100% accuracy, +1 priority

Ancient Roar - status, 20 PP, never misses, -6 priority, forces out the target and lowers the defense of the incoming target by 1 stage

Pump Up - status, 25 PP, raises attack, defense, and special defense by one stage

Ancient Screech: Special Fake out.

Smash: 150 BP, 5 PP, 80% accuracy, physical, 1/2 recoil.

Super Charge: 150BP, 5 PP, 90% accuravy, effect: Must rest, unless it's blocked

Hibernate: Rest clone.

Sky Bomber: flying press clone with 120 BP, 5 PP, and a 30% flinch chance, and 90% Acc. Dual Dino Rock Type, or Dino type that gets stab if used by rock types also. Or both, depending on whichever Flying Press is like. Archen(eops) exclusive.

*Note that all Dinosaur-types get these moves.

Ancientpower becomes Dinosaur-type (for flavor)

So now that that's settled, let's give a warm welcome to the Dinosaur-type!
My new name suggestions and other Dino move suggestions. What do you think? PLS MAKE ARCHEOPS DINO ROCK (lol 4x Steel weakness. but cancels out like 3 weaknesses of rock's.)

Valmanway

My new name suggestions and other Dino move suggestions. What do you think? PLS MAKE ARCHEOPS DINO ROCK (lol 4x Steel weakness. but cancels out like 3 weaknesses of rock's.)
I like this idea, so Archeops is now Dinosaur/Rock type. Also liking the new names, will definitely keep them. The new moves are pretty cool, but you'll have to explain Hibernate to me, since I'm not sure what you mean by "Rest clone". Is it just a Dino-type Rest for the sake of flavor? And Sky Bomber seems too OP to me, even if it's only available to the Archeops family. It's basically Tail Slam on too much steroids, but if you can balance it a bit more, then I'd be happy to approve it.

I feel like Tyranitar should be Rock/Dinosaur (so it doesn't get hurt by its own sandstorms), Aurorus should be either Dinosaur/Ice or not be Dinosaur (because otherwise it would get hurt by its own hailstorms and be unable to maximize its use of Refrigerate), and Kyurem should not be a Dinosaur because it would break the theme its trio's got going on.

What are the competitive reasons behind Dark's weakness to it?

Kyurem should be a dragon and aerodactyl dinosaur/flying.

The rock typing now have no sense in tyrantrum, rampardos, bastiodon, archeops and other dinosaur prehistoric mons

But I just think dragons need to stay as they really are, dinosaurs are dinosaurs, dragons are dragons. Even if I think dinosaurs should be only the prehistoric ones :P

Valmanway

I feel like Tyranitar should be Rock/Dinosaur (so it doesn't get hurt by its own sandstorms), Aurorus should be either Dinosaur/Ice or not be Dinosaur (because otherwise it would get hurt by its own hailstorms and be unable to maximize its use of Refrigerate), and Kyurem should not be a Dinosaur because it would break the theme its trio's got going on.

What are the competitive reasons behind Dark's weakness to it?
Dark's one of the more powerful types around, so I though I'd give the Dino-type some extra coverage, though maybe I could change that into them resisting Dark-type moves instead of them hitting Dark-types super-effectively. I didn't go with Rock/Dino at first since it would be 4x weak to Steel, but I'll admit Tyranitar and Aurorus would probably prefer their Rock- and Ice-typings, respectively, mainly due to their abilities. Kyurem just looks more like a dinosaur than a dragon to me, I guess because of its stubby, t-rex like arms.
Flavor has given 1 type 8 resists to its offensive prowess and six types destroy it. Being grass sucks!

IMHO, remove grass and dark weaknesses, and put fairy where grass once was.
Yeah, I wasn't even thinking how the Grass-typing would take this. I can change hitting Dark-types hard with Dinos resisting Dark, and can replace the Grass resist for a Fairy resist.

*Edit

Actually, having 2 weaknesses and 5 resistances doesn't seem fair. Though I can make Fairies weak to Dinos.
Kyurem should be a dragon and aerodactyl dinosaur/flying.

The rock typing now have no sense in tyrantrum, rampardos, bastiodon, archeops and other dinosaur prehistoric mons

But I just think dragons need to stay as they really are, dinosaurs are dinosaurs, dragons are dragons. Even if I think dinosaurs should be only the prehistoric ones :P
I'd prefer it if the fossil Pokemon kept their Rock-typing, mainly due to them being revived fossils. And I changed some dragons into dinos to have some more variety.

I like this idea, so Archeops is now Dinosaur/Rock type. Also liking the new names, will definitely keep them. The new moves are pretty cool, but you'll have to explain Hibernate to me, since I'm not sure what you mean by "Rest clone". Is it just a Dino-type Rest for the sake of flavor? And Sky Bomber seems too OP to me, even if it's only available to the Archeops family. It's basically Tail Slam on too much steroids, but if you can balance it a bit more, then I'd be happy to approve it.
Hibernate is a Dino type Rest for flavor. It's rest's Detect, so it's pseudo-immune to imprison if Kyurem doesn't get it. SkyBomber could be turned into a dual type Take Down or Double Edge with recoil and 90%/80% accuracy for balancing. it's also a squashing move, so it never misses against minimizers. if it gets recoil and imperfect accuracy, will it still be broken? Because exclusive moves need to be above average (psystrike(psyshock), techno blast judgement, and Roar of time(Draco meteor and dragonpulse). Of course Mist ball and the Latios version proves this wrong.

I'd prefer it if the fossil Pokemon kept their Rock-typing, mainly due to them being revived fossils. And I changed some dragons into dinos to have some more variety.
So what about aerodactyl and archeops?

And about the abilities, dont sand stream cancel the residual damage?

Valmanway

Hibernate is a Dino type Rest for flavor. It's rest's Detect, so it's pseudo-immune to imprison if Kyurem doesn't get it. SkyBomber could be turned into a dual type Take Down or Double Edge with recoil and 90%/80% accuracy for balancing. it's also a squashing move, so it never misses against minimizers. if it gets recoil and imperfect accuracy, will it still be broken? Because exclusive moves need to be above average (psystrike(psyshock), techno blast judgement, and Roar of time(Draco meteor and dragonpulse). Of course Mist ball and the Latios version proves this wrong.
Here's my idea for how the move should work:

Sky Bomber - 110 power, physical, direct contact, 5 PP, 85% accuracy, no effect

EV

Banned deucer.
VERRRY sorry about the double post, this isn't good with my other post:

Umm, when will the next type come? do we have nominations? if so, i vote Bomb type:

Defense:
Resist: Ground, Fighting, Grass, Fairy, and Dinos
Immune: Poison, Fire
S.E: Water shorts bombs out, Electric Messes them up, and Bug Infiltrate them. Then Dark cheats through them.

Offense
S.E: Poison, Fire, Fairy, Dino, and Steel
Resist: Electric , Grass, Ice, Dark
Immune: BUG. WE NEED BUG BUFFS OK!?!? THEY'RE TOO SMALL TO BE AFFECTED

Pokemon Coversions:
Forretress(Bug/Bomb)

Weezing(Poison/Bomb)

Electrode: (Electric/Bomb)

can't think of others.

Moves:
Atom Blast: OHKO after 2 turns. 50% accuracy that ignore any sort of boost. Hitchance is determined when used, but not revealed for 2 turns.

Explosion is converted to Bomb type. Screw ghost resist.

Aimed Blast: 60 Power, 20 PP, won't miss.

Missle Rain : 30 Power, 2-5 Multi hit, 85% accuracy. 20 PP

Radiate: 20 power, Trapping move. 90%.

Rocket Lance: Extremespeed. BEcause it has S.E, 1/4 recoil.

Energy Wavve: Special Priority

Blast: 100 Power, 50% Paralyze chance.

Shell Shock: Fake out clone.

Mortar: Blows up their whole team. 40 BP with guaranteed crits and 30% flinch

Thunderclap: Bomb/Electric. Sound type. 100 BP Move that destroys EVERYTHING around it with 30% flinch.

Surge: Special Shift Gear. Electrode exclusive

Arming: Raises Attack and Defense by 1. Forretress exclusive. Rises by 1 if statused or low on hp.

Land Mines: hazard: 3 layers, base dmgvalues are half of those of SR. however, dmg increases by 100% of the base value per layer, to the point where Breloom is OHKOed. Lasts for 2 mons, then loses a layer.
... I SUCK with names.

Bulletproof should render an immunity or resisatance to bomb type attacks.
Let's focus on one type at a time. When Valmanway is ready we can move on, but the type effectiveness and retyping for Dino isn't even done yet. Patience warriorman222.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Where's my Ice / Dinosaur Aurorus? :[[[[

EDIT: Also Steel / Dino Aggron. Literally a steel plated triceratops imo. Bastiodon should also be Steel / Dino
EDIT2: Aerodactyl I feel should be Dino / Flying. Dino is enough to represent fossils imo.

Valmanway

Where's my Ice / Dinosaur Aurorus? :[[[[

EDIT: Also Steel / Dino Aggron. Literally a steel plated triceratops imo. Bastiodon should also be Steel / Dino
EDIT2: Aerodactyl I feel should be Dino / Flying. Dino is enough to represent fossils imo.
I agree with all of these. Added.

Valmanway

Isn't this a Pet Mod?

And also, how about a Space type? (and a time type to go with it) later down the line?
Every non-Uber Pokemon is participating, so it wouldn't qualify as a pet mod. Also, please refrain from suggesting new types for now. Let's talk about the Dino-type for now, and after a good chunk of time passes, let's say a week, then we can do submissions for a new type.

Every non-Uber Pokemon is participating, so it wouldn't qualify as a pet mod. Also, please refrain from suggesting new types for now. Let's talk about the Dino-type for now, and after a good chunk of time passes, let's say a week, then we can do submissions for a new type.
Ah, okay.

How about at least the Pre-evos of Dinosaur Pokemon are dinosaur too. Ground/Dragon Gabite evolving into Ground/Dinosaur Garchomp is a bit odd.
For example:

Cranidos- Rock/Dinosaur

Bulbasur/Ivysaur - Grass/Dinosaur

Gible/Gabite - Ground/Dinosaur

Axew/Fraxure - Dinosaur

Amaura (Aurorus' Pre-evo) - Dinosaur/Ice

Aron/Lairon - Steel/Dinosaur

And what about... Yanmega?
It may seem wierd but adding the Dinosaur type to Yanmega makes sense, as it is based on the giant prehistoric dragonfly. Bug/Dinosaur will give it double weakness to Ice, but it removes to weakness to the dreaded Stealth Rock.

Defensively:
Weak to Ice and Steel
Resists Bug, Flying, Dark, and Water

Offensively:
Grass, Bug, Fairy, and Flying are weak to it
Steel, Fire, and Ice resist it
2 common weakness for 4 common resistances ?
ANOTHER weakness for the poor Grass & Bug ? and 4 effective types for 3 resists. And another resist to Fire and Steel ? Fire will become the perfect defensive type with resistances to Bug, Fairy, Dino, Fire, Grass, Ice, Steel !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)