• Easter

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Valentines Day

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Today I have another team to show y’all, focused around Charizard X. Now, let's get to the team!

Team at a glance.

Team Building Process.

I started building around Dragon Dance Charizard X. While not that great right now in the meta, I thought it would be fun to build around, and it is rather slept on with being very uncommon.

I added Celesteela for a defensive Landorus check, as well as being my bulky steel for the team. Celesteela can also use leech seed to wear down the team for a Charizard Sweep.

Added Offensive Landorus for Stealth Rock, as he is the best option for the role.

Added Rockium Z Tapu Bulu for an electric type switch in, Zygarde check, and a wall breaker who can also beat stall.

I added a Rotom Wash for a defogger. He also has excellent synergy with Charizard X, and can lure Latios and bulky grass types for Tapu Bulu and Charizard to take advantage of.

I finished the Team by adding a Scarf Greninja for spikes and to revenge kill sweepers like Volcarona and Naganadel.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X

Ability: Blaze

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Flare Blitz

- Roost

- Earthquake

- Dragon Dance

The star of the team I chose to build around. Charizard X is this team's primary win con. The set is pretty standard, but I prefer Earthquake over Dragon Claw because of how common Tyranitar and Heatran are at the moment. And you can’t really afford not running Roost ATM because Charizard X will get worn down too easily.

Celesteela @ Leftovers

Ability: Beast Boost

EVs: 248 HP / 106 Def / 154 SpD

Relaxed Nature

- Flamethrower

- Heavy Slam

- Leech Seed

- Protect

I chose to use Celesteela for my bulky steel because she can take on the bulky ground types that Charizard hates, Landorus in particular. She can also wall two of Charizards best revenge killers, Garchomp and Latios. Leech Seed is incredibly helpful for Charizard to wear down the opposing team.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Earth Plate

Ability: Intimidate

Jolly Nature

- Earthquake

- Stealth Rock

- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Gravity

Landorus Therian is my Stealth Rock setter, and he can punch holes into the enemy team for Charizard X. I picked Hidden Power Ice to lure and 2HKO Defensive Landorus, one of Charizards best answers. Gravity is used to hit Flying and Levitating Pokemon, making Landorus very difficult to wall, and the pokemon that do can be taken advantage of by Charizard X.

Tapu Bulu @ Rockium Z

Ability: Grassy Surge

Jolly Nature

- Stone Edge

- Horn Leech

- Swords Dance

- Superpower

Tapu Bulu is my team's primary switch into Tapu Koko and Zygarde. He wallbreaks very effectively for Charizard, Rockium Z is used to break “checks’ like Mega Scizor and Venusaur. Unfortunately, Grassy Terrain weakens Earthquake from Lando and Charizard, but so far this hasn't made too much of an impact.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe

Bold Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Volt Switch

- Hydro Pump

- Pain Split

- Defog

Rotom Wash is used to provide a switch into Swampert, help Charizard, Lando, and Bulu get in safely, and provide Charizard X some setup opportunities. Defog is used to clear hazards that Charizard hates. I prefer Pain Spilt over Will-o-Wisp to give Rotom Wash semi-reliable recovery.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Protean

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Hasty Nature

- U-turn

- Ice Beam

- Spikes

- Rock Slide

Greninjas job is to set up spikes and revenge kill set up sweepers that would otherwise demolish my team, like the aforementioned Volcarona and Naganadel. U-turn works great to give my wallbreakers and sweeper more momentum. GReninja can also sometimes clean late game as well.

Threat List:

Wall breakers, in general, give this team a very hard time, Kyurem B and Tyranitar in particular. Thankfully, Greninja can revenge kill most of them.

I would appreciate critiques very much, as I do want to get better at Competitive Pokemon. I am open to any changes as long as you don’t change Charizard X.
Shoutouts to Essence, ThiccTornadus, and Indigo Plateau.

Hi, I could give you some suggestions.
  • You are running earthquake on zardx for heatran and ttar but it's a weird choice considering grassy terrain halves that damage and both of these mons carry moves to severely hurt zardx which will hamper your chances to sweep with zardx, which is your primary wincon. In practice, you may or may not get into awkward situations like those I mentioned so I may actually be wrong.
  • Your team has no way of checking kyurem black. There's nothing that can outspeed and threaten it out with an ohko which means theres nothing stopping it from claiming a kill. Mega Medicham is a problem for your team too as your best way of dealing with it is to risk a speed tie with zardx which could end badly.
  • Your team's water or ashgren resist is a bit shaky. Rotom and bulu are both pretty shaky resists as they take quite a hefty chunk from specs hydro pump.
  • Your team doesn't deal well with heatran and you need something that can switch reasonably well into it considering there is a steel and bulu on the team.
  • Bad blacephalon resists.
  • Finally, the team looks underprepped for naganadel. It threatens every member of your team with its moves and on paper, you are usually forced to let something die to bring in greninja to revenge it or take a 50/50 by bringing gren hard in which can result in losing gren if you mispredict. Naganadel is getting quickbanned soon so it shouldn't matter in the long run if you plan to use this team after the ban.

• I'd suggest that you swap rotom-w with kartana. Slapping a grassium z on kartana means you can destroy lando-t after an sd. Kartana also gets its leaf blade power boosted by grassy terrain and you can run defog on it. Bloom doom in grassy terrain is capable of crazy shit like ohkoing defensive zapdos from full which helps a ton as you don't want to be playing around discharge paras with zardx if you can avoid it. This also deals with mega medicham as a regular leaf blade without terrain doesn't ohko and some opponents might be tempted to stay in.
  • Swapping landot over garchomp would benefit you because garchomp's typing makes it a decent heatran switchin. You can run a mixed attacking set which some people consider a gimmick but I think it can work here for you. The set would be life orb with draco meteor, earthquake, fire blast with a -def nature instead of -spd to help with heatran. Draco meteor puts a huge dent on lando-t for zardx. Garchomp also checks kyurem black and if you find yourself in a situation of garchomp vs. medicham, draco meteor will put it in range of rough skin resulting in an exchange which would be really worth it for you considering medicham is a huge threat for this team.
  • Using an assault vest on tapu bulu will give you a better ashgren resist and also allieviates pressure on celesteela to check shit like mega zam and lele.
  • Having low kick on scarf gren regardless of whether you want to replace kartana with rotom-w and lando-t with garchomp will be good for you because a greninja that can't threaten out heatran is an issue when you have a celesteela and bulu on a team. This also helps with ttar and kyurem black. Running a -def nature would be better over -spd here because that nature is mainly for pinsir and zygarde which you can check with steela and bulu.
252 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Medicham-Mega: 230-270 (88.1 - 103.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Medicham-Mega: 216-255 (82.7 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Kartana Bloom Doom (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Medicham-Mega: 418-493 (160.1 - 188.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Kartana Bloom Doom (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Landorus-Therian: 438-516 (114.6 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Kartana Bloom Doom (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos in Grassy Terrain: 445-524 (116.1 - 136.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 234-277 (61.2 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 242-285 (75.8 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Roost

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 56 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Rock Slide
- Low kick
- U-turn
- Ice Beam

Kartana @ Grassium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Defog

• Blacephalon remains a huge threat to your team. Most sets are choice locked and celesteela can protect on it to figure out what it locks itself into. Zardx 4x resists fire moves and steela can leech seed it or heavy slam it for massive damage if it shadow balls. Garchomp also does not die if healthy from any 1 move. Only issue is you face a situation of bulu vs. balcephalon which you should try to avoid if possible.
Gl with your team, I honestly love zardx a lot and laddered with it and had lots of success with it, hence why I made the effort to rate this.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)