Walrus The KnightsofSonata I Just Can't Get Enough Cross-server Walrus [Walrein Wins]

Welcome to the KnightsofSonata I Just Can't Get Enough Cross-server Walrus.

What is Walrus? It's a forum game where you submit songs to me according to various categories and I rank and score them based on how much I like them.

I'm back, bringing back the generous scores and podium points from before. So scratch my back and I'll scratch yours- and by my back I mean my itch for some sweet tunes.

To join, simply sign up in this thread (or drop me a DM at BrainpanSonata#0280). Submissions must be done by PM/DM, including YouTube links to your picks. One by one, categories will be revealed in the official walrus Discord server and the respective threads.

Scores will be logged and tracked via Google spreadsheet. Scoring is done on a 0.0-10.0 points range, with bonus points for making the top three in a category (1 for third, 2 for second, and 3 for first). Any categories you fail to submit for or which don't fit the specific standards of a particular category will automatically be scored 0. Also, I will make your change your submission if it's a song I judged in my previous walrus, a song I submitted to a previous walrus, a song I used as an example in this walrus or my previous walrus, or if I can't bring myself to listen to it in its entirety more than once. If two or more players submit the same song for a category, the second (and third and etc.) person to submit the song will be given the option to change their submission. If they decide to stick with it, it will be given a single score and the players involved will tie in that round's rankings. Aim for the highest overall score, or play along for fun and the love of music.

The 12 categories are as follows:

Points On The Map
I want songs that include a place name in the title. Towns/cities, states, countries, continents, lakes, rivers, oceans, mountain ranges, and anything else that's both geographical and has a specific name attached to it. Nationalities such as American, French, et cetera, do not count as qualifiers for this category, and I also want to limit this category to places on Earth.
Examples:
Rocky Mountain High by John Denver
Istanbul (Not Constantinople) by They Might Be Giants
Africa by Toto

Wanting To Branch Out
In my last walrus, I said one of my least familiar genres is ska. This time, I intend to change that. Send me music from the ska genre. Ska covers of non-ska songs and ska style songs from artists of other genres are also acceptable.
Examples:
Don't Pick It Up by The Offspring
I Know You Too Well To Like You Anymore by Reel Big Fish
Anything by Operation Ivy
Do not send me Operation Ivy. This is the band that scared me away from ska.

By The Numbers
Whether written or numerical (or even Roman numerals), there needs to be a number in the song's title and/or the name of the band.
Examples:
Blue (Da Ba Dee) by Eiffel 65
Ten Thousand Fists by Disturbed
99 Luftballons by Nena

With A Special Appearance By
The word of the day is "featuring". Send me songs that include a featured artist. Special guest performances of songs that don't normally have a featured artist also qualify. I understand that this means I may be getting live recordings, so I'll try not to be so neurotic about live audio quality.
Examples:
Brave New World by Watsky ft. Chaos Chaos
Sexyback by Justin Timberlake ft. Timbaland
Prozac Made Me Stay by Ansty McClain ft. Tommy Smothers

Say My Name
Well, not MY name. Any name, really. Just make sure the song's title include a person's given name and/or surname. No nicknames/pet names, since they're harder to distinguish and in some cases are just generic platitudes.
Examples:
Lisztomania by Phoenix
Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
Brianstorm by Arctic Monkeys

Hot Licks
I want songs with noticeable emphasis on electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and/or bass guitar. Whether it's a sick solo, some tricky fingering, or a funky bassline, give me something where the guitar is the star.
Examples:
Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin
Classical Gas by Tommy Emmanuel
Under Pressure by Queen ft. David Bowie

On Broadway
Give me songs which are from, are adapted from, or are covers of songs from Broadway or off-Broadway musicals. Please mention which musical the song is from in your submission.
Examples:
Feed Me (Git It) from Little Shop of Horrors
Voulez-Vous by Full Cast (Mamma Mia movie soundtrack)
Defying Gravity by Caleb Hyles (cover of a song from Wicked)

Color Me Impressed
Or you could call this category Colour Me Impressed if you speak the queen's English. So impress me by sending me a song with a color in the title. According to Wikipedia, rainbow is not a color, it is a weather phenomenon containing various colors.
Examples:
Little Black Submarines by The Black Keys
Pink Lemonade by Watsky ft. Invisible Inc
Red Cat/Yellow Cat by Say Anything

School Daze Redux
Last time, I wanted music you listened to in your school years. This time I want music that was released in MY middle school and high school years: 1997 to 2003. Please include the year the song was released with your submission.
Examples:
Selfish Man by Flogging Molly (2000)
Bless The Child by Nightwish (2002)
Certain People I Could Name by They Might Be Giants (1999)

All About That Brass
Like James Brown said while collaborating with The Black Eyed Peas, gimme that phunky horn! Send me songs that include one or more brass instruments as listed here. Saxophones are also included in this category's qualifiers since they are made of brass.
Examples:
Careless Whisper by George Michael
Spooky Madness by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Farandole by Bizet

I Like Short Songs
Every song submitted to this category has to be less than three minutes long. Full songs at 2:59 and under, folks. This category will have twice as many headers and outros, plus every song will be fullplayed.
Examples:
Short Songs by Dead Kennedys
Little Deuce Coupe by The Beach Boys
Weasel Stomping Day by "Weird" Al Yankovic

Points On The, Uh, Other Map
This last one's gonna be kinda tricky.
Step One: Go to the music recommendation site www.music-map.com.
Step Two: Pick an artist from my Updated Likes List. (That huge thing in hide tags down in the About Me section of this post)
Step Three: Enter the artist you picked into the site and check out the artists it recommends. (Give it a few seconds to straighten out the word cloud.)
Step Four: Submit a song by an artist the site recommends. I'd prefer a recommended artist that isn't already in the Updated Likes List, but I won't catfail you if the artist's familiar to me.
Step Four B: Include the name of the artist you entered into the site in your submission.
Step Five: ????
Step Six: PROFIT!!!
Examples that use the recc site:
When Shall I Be Free by Shpongle (The map: Infected Mushroom)
Cowboys From Hell by Pantera (The map: Metallica)
Satisfaction by Benny Benassi (The map: Deadmau5)

About Me

1000% audiophile with a background in orchestra and church choir. I have a wide variety of favorites and a tendency to like most of what I hear. Since my last walrus, I have explored more rap and hiphop. Country is still an unfamiliar genre for me, as are some of the niche genres. Studio version >>> live version, unless the live version has super tight audio quality. Google "Nine Inch Nails Tension tour" or "Chumbawamba Southbank Club" for examples of high quality audio in a live performance. (People not screaming over the music goes a long way in defining good quality. Take NIN's Tension tour for an example, where fans sang along with the lyrics instead of just drowning them out with disruptive shouting and Reznor was able to incorporate their singing into some of the songs.) Radio edits aren't the end of the world, but unexpected blanks or sound effects usually throw me out of the groove.

This list is in no particular order. It includes artists from my previous about me, artists I failed to mention in my previous about me, and artists that I was introduced to in my previous walrus. This list is also still incomplete. itriedstar.jpg

The Offspring, Black Sabbath, The Kooks, ABBA, Queens of the Stone Age, Beth Hart, Circus Contraption, L7, My Chemical Romance, Cake, Nine Inch Nails, Dead Kennedys, Muse, Joan Jett, Radiohead, Adam & The Ants, The Rumjacks, Earth, Wind & Fire, Gramatik, Infected Mushroom, All-American Rejects, Watsky, Green Day, The Rolling Stones, Hanatan, Stone Temple Pilots, Tiesto, Kaiser Chiefs, tricot, Scroobius Pip, The O'Jays, Dire Straits, Queen, Def Leppard, OK Go, Lipps Inc., Humanwine, The Shins, Tommy Emmanuel, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Trews, Icona Pop, S3RL, Alice in Chains, MGMT, LCD Soundsystem, AC/DC, Bee Gees, Soundgarden, Bjork, Electric Light Orchestra, TWOCELLOS, Yves Montand, Dropkick Murphys, Lindsey Stirling, The Brothers Bright, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, Nightwish, Kool & The Gang, Pearl Jam, Empire of the Sun, Aesop Rock, Madeon, The Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Yoko Kanno, Psychostick, Blue Oyster Cult, Rainbow, Pegboard Nerds, L'Arc-En-Ciel, Aerosmith, Paramore, Danny Kaye, The Birthday Massacre, Wilson Phillips, Van Halen, Bad Religion, Styx, The Weather Girls, Kendrick Lamar, Anamanaguchi, Panic! At The Disco, Regina Spektor, Michael Jackson, Jon Lajoie, Zaz, Parov Stellar, Tears for Fears, The Beatles, Two Door Cinema Club, Pink Floyd, Temple of the Dog, The Seatbelts, Stevie Wonder, The Who, Modest Mouse, The Cars, Voltaire, The Smiths, Prince, Hole, Disturbed, Fall Out Boy, System of a Down, Foreigner, David Bowie, Serj Tankian, Men At Work, Pierce The Veil, Weezer, Depeche Mode, Scorpions, Theivery Corporation, Boney M, Metallica, Pennywise, The Human League, Bing Crosby, Twenty One Pilots, Arctic Monkeys, Easy Star All-Stars, Mudhoney, Billy Talent, Ohio Players, We Came As Romans, The Lonely Island, Swedish House Mafia, The Rutles, Manu Chao, Ozzy Osbourne, Toby Fox, Heart, The Heavy, Zomboy, Duran Duran, Knife Party, The Toxic Avenger, Nirvana, Kasabian, Led Zeppelin, Avicii, The Kinks, Arcade Fire, "Weird" Al Yankovich, 7 Year Bitch, A-Ha, Imagine Dragons, Village People, PelleK, Mumford & Sons, Beat Circus, We Are Scientists, Caleb Hyles, Astor Piazzolla, The Struts, Blondie, The Black Mages, Flogging Molly, The Travelling Wilburys, Rush, The Clash, Tool, Mad Season, The Pillows, Mindless Self Indulgence, Postmodern Jukebox, Nothing But Thieves, They Might Be Giants, Ludo, Puscifer, Datsik, CHVRCHES, Fun., The Melvins, Franz Ferdinand, Smashing Pumpkins, The White Stripes, Iron Maiden, Cage The Elephant, The Prodigy, Chumbawamba, Audioslave, The Fratellis, The Black Keys, The Strokes, Son Tung M-TP, Gackt, Zeds Dead, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Pantera, The Protomen, Iced Earth, Buckethead, Florence + The Machine, TheFatRat, Skazi, Ylvis, Ramones, Ninja Sex Party, Matisyahu, AWOLnation, Misfits, Macklemore, Creature Feature, The Sisters of Mercy, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine, Georges Brassens, NOFX, Beck, Steam Powered Giraffe, Them Crooked Vultures, VNV Nation, Tenacious D, Sleeping With Sirens, Talking Heads, Caravan Palace, Antsy McClain and the Trailer Park Troubadours, Gojira, Dio, GUMI, Stromae, Gorillaz, Deadmau5, Nujabes, Motorhead, The Killers, The Specials, Kansas, Freezepop, Louis Armstrong, Paul Oakenfold, Edith Piaf, Flux Pavillion, Of Monsters and Men, "Iz" Kamakiwiwo'ole, Pet Shop Boys, Joe Cocker, Metric, Pond, Fuck Buttons, Say Anything, Puddles Pity Party, Kanye West, Social Distortion, The B-52s, Hatsune Miku, The Glitch Mob, Frank Sinatra, The Proclaimers, The Soggy Bottom Boys, Com Truise, Utada Hikaru, Whitesnake, Yellow Magic Orchestra, and a wide number of classical artists including Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Verdi, and Rossini

The above list is also found here in an alphabetical numbered mode. Thanks to Adam for doing that.

Do not send me anything by: Nickleback, Owl City, Operation Ivy, The Neighbourhood, Kings of Leon, or Backlash (the US band, not the Swedish band). Tantric is also not a good idea, but I'll be less of hardcase about it since I've had several years to recover from burning out on them through overexposure. Also, I put a lot of stock in the music I consume being in tune and as such have a much lower regard for kazoos, vuvuzelas, air horns, and meme singers whose schtick is they can't sing or play anything without sounding fucking awful.

Signups List

Steven Snype (Smogon)
Earlio (Smogon)
Granny Pie (Smogon)
RODAN (Smogon)
Aladyyn (Smogon)
SketchUp (Smogon)
Flamestar (Smogon)
Martin (Smogon)
Isa (Smogon)
Lebossle (Kongregate)
MyNameIsNothing (Kongregate)
Morgan (Discord)
Da Letter El (Smogon)
BLOODYRAIN10001 (Kongregate)
Walrein (Smogon)
Myzozoa (Smogon)
Lord Gaius (Smogon)
Adam (Discord)
vonFiedler (Smogon)
Jellicent (Smogon)
shubaka17 (Smogon)
Robert Alfons (Smogon)
RandomTurtle (Kongregate)
acidphoenix (Smogon)
LightWolf (Smogon)

Signups will remain open until October 24th.

Last edited:
24th Place
Submitted by Granny Pie
Score: 6.6

Bourgeois Shangri-La by Miss Li

“Shangri-La or Xianggelila is a county-level city in northwestern Yunnan province, People's Republic of China and is the location of the seat of the Diqing Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture.” Haters to the left, Wikipedia says this qualifies.

I like the bouncy melody, but I have the feeling that this song is more enjoyable the less the lyrics hit close to home. It’s got a bitter undercurrent to it.

21st Place
Submitted by MyNameIsNothing
Score: 7.3

Spanish Sahara by Foals

Sometimes I come across an artist where it takes me a good while to decide if I like or dislike their voice. Wasn’t too fond of the minimalist opening, either. Luckily the backing built up into something more and the lyrics are piquing my interest. Maybe I might look into more Foals songs in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)