The Happy Place Q&A Results!

Kaiju Bunny

♥・゚: * ̄(♡ㅅ♡❀) ̄
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Art Leader

All art by me!
Last month, our regs in The Happy Place had the chance to ask some room staff any questions they might've had about them.
After staff collected the questions and worked to answer them, the long-awaited responses are finally here!

The following staff were available for questions

Without Further ado, let's get to the questions!
For Alex, PiraTe Princess, and RavioliQueen,
“What led you to create/join THP? What was the original purpose of the room? Are you happy with how the room turned out to be? Also, can I ever find happiness? (The last one is a joke don't answer that)”

PiraTe Princess
I didn't actually create the room, I was promoted to RO in spring. Thp existed long before I became an active presence in chat rooms. Still, as far as I can tell, the room's purpose has not changed. I'm happy with how the room is at present, but am always looking for ways for us to grow and improve. :)

Alex
I believe the original purpose of the room is still the same as it is now, to provide a chill, safe environment for users to vent about their problems as well as to serve as a chill hangout place. I’ve seen periods where the room was in worse shape so yeah I’d say I’m pretty happy with how it is at the moment.

RavioliQueen
I joined THP on a whim really. I saw some users I knew in certain rooms I’m in were also in this room so I figured I’d pop in and see what the room is all about, and really, I’m glad that I ended up staying. It’s a place where I’ve been able to help people out and give advice and make some nice friends, and the room keeps growing and growing. There’s always a minor thing or two popping up but overall I’m glad with how the room is now, and it can only get better from here.
For all staff who’d like to answer,
“How did you first find out about PS! and what made you stick around?”

Kaiju Bunny
I actually found out about PS! through an OU meme ;w; I was always passionate about Pokemon battling, so naturally I checked out the site, and when I found that they had a safe space chatroom of sorts, I was instantly hooked and fell in love.

PiraTe Princess
It was so long ago now, I can’t fully remember where exactly I heard about PS! from. It would definitely have been through a YouTuber. Probably either NBZ or Pokeaim. I initially stuck around because I was getting heavily into competitive battling at the time, although I didn’t use the chatrooms at all back then.

XpRienzo
An online friend of mine told me about it during 2013, I was not much of a competitive pokemon person so I didn't check the site out until late 2015. When I first joined, I found myself enjoying random battles and chatting in chatrooms and hence found myself chatting a lot more often, the community made me stick tbh, the friends I made along on PS.

Alex
Actually this wasn’t my first battle sim, I was first on Shoddybattle in 2008. I left that around 2009 actually, and around 2012 I tried to go back but it was gone or deserted. I found out PS was the battle sim they were using so I just stuck around to see if any of my Shoddy friends were on PS, and also to play randbats. It’s been a while and I never did find any of my friends though :’)

Andy30
A guy I know online recommended PS to me PS because it had competitive pokemon battles. He linked the site to me and since then I never really quit PS because it also has rooms to chat in which makes it fun to interact with people. Mostly why I still join PS to this day is because I chat with a lot of people in rooms on PS and it still gives me a fun experience.

Bass Beats
I was in class one day in high school and I and my friend had nothing to do, so he showed me this website, and at the time he was actually an immature troll, but I stuck around and just enjoyed battling and the atmosphere of the other users.

DianaNicole
I found showdown through some friends in high school who used it for meme teams but also competitive play. I stuck around once I found thp and also the mono community. One to give me a place to help others and the other was to fill the desire to get good at competitive pokemon.

RavioliQueen
I first found out about PS from a friend back in my Junior year of High School. I still remember I was in my AP Physics class and we were done with the curriculum so our teacher had put on Star Wars: The Force Awakens and my friend next to me opened PS up, and I was curious. I saw him challenging other friends of mine in the class to random battles, and I ended up joining in and we made our own little daily randoms tournament type game and that’s how we’d pass the time. Eventually, I decided to join some rooms, my first one that made me stick around being Trivia before I decided to move into discussion-based rooms. I eventually made some amazing friends here and I really cared about the rooms I was in so I decided to stick around, and I’m really glad that I did.
For all staff,
“How is being staff like?”

Kaiju Bunny
It always feels good to help guide the community to be a more positive and welcoming place, but of course, it can get stressful every now and again what with troublesome trolls every now and again.

PiraTe Princess
It’s fun. I try to treat it just like as if I was a reg, just with more responsibilities.

XpRienzo
Usually fun, but with responsibilities like that, stress is bound to come. I do love the community so directing it and trying to keep it safe is something I like to do, so it's all good at the end.

sniper
Being staff has always been a great and memorable experience for me over the course of the years. It doesn't feel like anything special besides being able to help others and contribute.

Andy30
At my early staff times, I remember being really nervous because I didn't want to make a mistake warning or muting people. But now, I’m feeling pretty comfortable and know the rules of the rooms I’m staff in so I don't have to be nervous about it. My interaction with other staff members in my rooms is giving me the confidence to keep going and just have a fun time.

Bass Beats
It is a no different experience than being a regular user, just sometimes you watch the room a little more and can create awesome tours for everyone to take part in and enjoy.

DianaNicole
It’s really chill, you do the same things like a reg. It only requires work and knowledge of commands, but it honestly depends on the day as to how I feel about it. Sometimes it can be stressful to make judgments and be fair/lenient, but other days laying down the law is easy and that’s how it be in my eyes.

RavioliQueen
Being staff is honestly a mix of emotions. Usually, it’s pretty fun, but of course, there are responsibilities to maintain and to make sure that the room is running smoothly, it can be kind of a stressful situation. However, at the end of the day, we’re a team and we have each others’ support so if it gets tough we have people to fall back on and help us out. I do enjoy the company here, so I focus on just making sure that things are running smoothly.
For Kaiju Bunny and DianaNicole,
“If you were to learn an instrument what would it be?”

Kaiju Bunny
I'd say percussion, but I already know how to play various percussion instruments, so if I had to choose another, it'd either have to be the harp or the violin :o

DianaNicole
Instrument choice would be super basic but would love to learn how to play drums or guitar.
“What’s the most embarrassing or cringe thing you've witnessed or had happen to yourself?”

Kaiju Bunny
I normally babysit my neighbor's kid over the Summer, but last year as I was watching over her, she started showing me various Fortnite dances, and I don't think I've been the same since.

PiraTe Princess
Probably not the most embarrassing thing ever to happen to me, but it’s recent enough for me to remember it; I arrived at work to find a massive tear in my shorts in a VERY nsfw area. Had to quickly dash out to a clothing store to buy something more modest!

XpRienzo
I don't really remember, but I think I once asked out a girl in a very cringe way back in middle school, but eh probably a better story for another day.

Andy30
A few years ago I was sleeping a lot on my free days till like 2 pm or 3 pm in the afternoon. I missed a meeting with a friend in the afternoon back then because of that. Felt really bad telling him.

RavioliQueen

I don’t have many embarrassing moments that stick out to me but I was in a little class play in my debate club in 6th grade, and the script had some typos, and we just had to make sure when we read the play out during our final performance for the class we read the words correctly. I still ended up messing up one of them, and the line “meowing car” as opposed to “meowing cat” haunts me to this day.
For PiraTePrincess,
“Why are you so cute???”

PiraTe Princess
Mass delusions.
For Alex,
“Who would you say are the 3 users who have had the biggest impact on you during your time on PS! and why?”

Alex
I’d have to name Jin of the Gale and ashiemore for users who have been particularly impactful, both were global mods and staff/ROs of the rooms I used to be staff in, but they don’t really come on PS anymore. They taught me a lot about PS and about being staff, especially with regard to staff policy. I feel that a lot of what I think and do on PS (where being staff is concerned) is shaped by them.

Lastly, I wanna mention Meicoo. Meicoo is an RO in the Scavengers room where I used to be mod and he’s really dedicated to the room and has contributed to that room for many years. I’d definitely say he’s one of the best ROs I’ve ever been staff under and even today I still feel like I’m still learning from him with regards to being staff and on PS in general.
For Alex,
“Do you watch anime/read manga? Name all the anime series/manga you've read. CHECKMATE.”

Alex
I used to follow Bleach, then it ended badly and abruptly. The rest of them I can count on one hand:

Your Name
Weathering With You
Hotarubi no Mori e
For PiraTePrincess,
“How did you become a staff member? What is your favorite part about being a staff member?”

PiraTe Princess
There was no special trick to becoming staff, I was reasonably active - although certainly not the most active person ever - and always tried to be helpful and give advice when I could. You really don’t need to be the most active person ever to become a staff member, it’s quality over quantity! As for my favorite part, I enjoy being able to help the community, be it through helping with events or helping to look after the room and those that frequent it.
“What do you do as a hobby? Or what kind of music do you like?”

Kaiju Bunny
Art is a pretty big hobby of mine. That, and playing video games. I've really gotten back in MH as of late, especially.

PiraTe Princess
My main hobbies are playing board games and D&D - I am a major nerd. I listen to a variety of music, but most of my playlist is ska/punk/alternative rock or musicals.

XpRienzo
I tend to read comic books as a hobby, or read about AI, or read about an AI villain in comic books, or somewhere in between all those. I don't listen to much music, but alt rock is probably the kind of music I like the most, I can't really define specific genres I like or dislike, I tend to like a lot of different types of music.

sniper
I play video games usually and spend most of my time on discord on VC chat talking with friends. The music I like is mostly J pop and rap.

Andy30
I mostly game a lot in my free time, (Pokemon, Mario games, Rocket League, FIFA, Smash) meet up with friends in the city, play Pokemon TCG competitively and like to watch kdramas. My interest in music lately is a lot of OST from kdramas I have watched, jpop and Billie Eilish. I went to a concert of hers last year and loved it.

Bass Beats
I like to enjoy making music, I started making music after I learned to beatbox (been beatboxing for 6 years now) and that's where I even got my name from "Bass Beats" and I enjoy all types of music. As for other hobbies I have, I enjoy gaming and solving detective schemes.

DianaNicole
My main hobby is playing quidditch, cause yes it is a real sport.

RavioliQueen
I love to bake, cook, draw, write, travel, paint, go shopping, and read as my hobbies. It’s really nice to be able to stay busy, so if I end up getting bored with one thing, I just move on to the next. In terms of music taste, I really like rock, punk, some emo, and alternative music, with maybe some pop songs thrown in, but definitely rock is my primary genre.
“How do you feel about?”

Kaiju Bunny
Yes.

PiraTe Princess
With my hands.

XpRienzo
Idk dude, let me know when you know the answer to that.

Alex
Yes.

Andy30
They don't know how I feel.

RavioliQueen
I’d like to think with my hands and feet but I could be wrong?
For Kaiju Bunny,

Kaiju Bunny
>:C
“So I’m placing a $100 USD bill in the middle of ALL of you. Who do you guys think will be the one that ends up taking it?”

Kaiju Bunny
Honestly, I'd probably say no at first and then I'd hope that I end up getting it c': (Don't tell anyone though).

PiraTe Princess
Me. I fight dirty.

XpRienzo
Considering my haggling capabilities and others in the crowd, most definitely not me LOL.

Alex
I think Kaiju Bunny will end up taking it.

Andy30
Definitely sniper.

DianaNicole
Sniper, homeboy works out a lot and would be scared to see him fight the entire staff, honorable mention to Kaiju Bunny.

RavioliQueen
I don’t give things up without a fight so I’d do whatever it takes to get the money, haggling, or if push comes to shove, shoving, then so be it. I’m a broke college student so if there’s free money I’m not letting it go easily :p
“What's one cool fact about you that not a lot of people on PS know?”

Kaiju Bunny
They probs don't know I'm double-jointed :^) whether that's cool or not is up to you.

PiraTe Princess
I’ve performed at The Globe theatre in London.

XpRienzo
I have a lightning-ish shaped birthmark on the lower side of my right cheek.

Alex
That my real name isn’t actually Alex LOL.

sniper
Despite being a UU mod, I’ve also been more interested in the NU metagame (though both are awesome. I also was in the top 3 on the ladder back in gen 6 UU for a while.

Andy30
I'm not sure this is a "cool fact" but I want to look good if I need to go somewhere and usually spend 20-30 minutes showering and 20-30 minutes doing my hair.

Bass Beats
Well I think it is cool myself and some users may know, but at one point on my journey of milkshakes, I had at least one milkshake for 22 days straight.

DianaNicole
It might not be cool, but I’ve injured my knees more times than the number of years I’ve been in college. 5 knee injuries in 4 years is a bad stat…

RavioliQueen
I can speak seven languages and I can see events to happen in my future through my dreams, kind of like a psychic.
For Kaiju Bunny, Alex, Andy30, and RavioliQueen,
“If you do listen to music, what is one of your favorite songs or albums that you have listened to? I’m really interested to know what other people like.

Kaiju Bunny
Hmm, it's weird because my music taste is way too broad and I have a ton of favorite songs, but one that's stuck with me is Bon Voyage by DROELOE. Give it a listen when you can, imo.

Alex
Albums I’ve listened to a lot include Freudian by Daniel Caesar and I also really like Taylor Swift so I’m going to recommend Lover which is her most recent album. I’m Chinese so I also listen to Chinese music sometimes.

Andy30
Lately, I’m listening to OST of kdramas and jpop but I have been a fan of Billie Eilish for 2 years now I think and love all her music. I can't think of a single song I don't like by her. There is also a jpop song I really like a lot and it's called Moon Crying from Kumi Koda.

RavioliQueen
For favorite albums, anything from Fall Out Boy, Panic! At the Disco, and Set it Off (especially their newest album which I downloaded as soon as it was released) will always be on my playlist. As for favorite songs, at the moment I have a few: One for the Money by Escape the Fate, Catch Me If You Can by Set it Off, and Feel Invincible by Skillet.
For Andy30,
“How do I apply for staff as I am very responsible and hardworking. Plus I have been on Showdown and in TME since 2016.”

Andy30
To get staff you have to be promoted to voice first. What I can say of how to become voice is you can’t ask for it because it will give the staff the view of you being needy. To get voice you have to behave in chat, follow all the rules that apply to THP, be nice to everyone and respect everyone. But the most important thing that you need to do to become voice is to call Andy30 "god" in the future.
For XpRienzo,
“Are you single?”

XpRienzo
<.< >.> Okay, Yes. Yes, I am.
“If all the world was paper, if all the seas were ink and if all the trees were bread and cheese, what would we have to drink?”

Kaiju Bunny
If all the world were sand’o, oh then what should we lack’o; if as they say there were no clay, how should we take tobacco.

PiraTe Princess
Tea.

XpRienzo
Coffee. The answer is always, coffee. Maybe hot chocolate at times too.

sniper
Our own blood.

Andy30
Milk.

Bass Beats
Milkshakes, EZ.

DianaNicole
Milk, cause cheese has to come from somewhere.

RavioliQueen
Coffee forever and always.
For RavioliQueen,
“How does it feel working there and have you ever had any trust issues? If so how have you handled them?”

RavioliQueen
I really enjoy working here really but in terms of trust issues… I know in my personal life I’ve dealt with trust issues due to past bullying and such, so I’ve never really trusted or believed someone right away, it usually just takes me some time to think if I can believe or trust someone (I can’t go into too much detail without getting too personal).
“What do you tend to do in your free time (ie hobbies, personal projects)?”

Kaiju Bunny
When I have free time, I'm either doing schoolwork or Smogon/PS! work, there is no in-between c':

PiraTe Princess
If I’m not playing D&D or making characters for D&D, then I’m probably playing Civ VI.

XpRienzo
Mostly spend time on PS with you guys, sometimes read comics/manga or watch anime, and sometimes work on my bots over on PS.

Andy30
I mostly game a lot in my free time, (Pokemon, Mario games, Rocket League, FIFA, Smash) meet up with friends in the city, play Pokemon TCG competitively and like to watch kdramas. My interest in music lately is a lot of OST from kdramas I have watched, jpop and Billie Eilish. I went to a concert of hers last year and loved it.

RavioliQueen

I love to bake, cook, draw, write, travel, paint, go shopping, and read as my hobbies. It’s really nice to be able to stay busy, so if I end up getting bored of one thing, I just move on to the next. In terms of music taste, I really like rock, punk, some emo, and alternative music, with maybe some pop songs thrown in, but definitely rock is my primary genre.
“What's your favorite Pokemon and why?”

Kaiju Bunny
Mew is actually my favorite. I fell in love with it when I saw it in the first movie. It's a small, adorable, pink floating cat of incredible power, how could I not like it?

PiraTe Princess
Charizard. Polteageist. Because it has a cute little teapot!

XpRienzo
Reshiram. Kinda fell in love with the design and grace of it during the title screen of Pokemon Black. And it was the only Dragon / Fire-type at the time so that definitely was a plus. Representing Truth is also one of those various reasons I love it.

Alex
It changes frequently, but at the moment it’s Goodra. Clefable and Wigglytuff consistently rank high on my list as well though.

sniper
Swampert, because I always find a way and reason to use Swampert in my competitive battles. He's the team player and I love its design. He gave me a lot of wins and good memories.

Andy30
Absol because I like the design and cry a lot. It got a mega which made me like Absol even more.

Bass Beats
Darkrai. I enjoy the color scheme of it a lot and who wouldn't want a pokemon who can put anything to sleep, plus the voice of Darkrai in the movie was a plus.

DianaNicole
Abomasnow. It’s got a great name, and all around I love ice types. First found it in gen 4 and thought it was so cute, and always enjoy using it in monotype. Honorable mention to Torterra.

RavioliQueen
My favorite Pokemon has to be Froslass. Pokemon Platinum was my first game, so seeing Froslass for the first time, I completely fell in love with the design and the idea behind it being this Ice/Ghost mon freezing its prey and using it as decoration, kind of like Medusa. She’s such a pretty and wicked mon, I can’t not love her.
For PiraTePrincess, Alex, Andy30, and RavioliQueen,
“What was it like for your first days as staff? Have you ever accidentally banned yourself or a fellow staff member via tab fail?”

PiraTe Princess
I don’t really remember my first few days as staff, but one of my first actions as RO was to tabfail and ban Scrappie. I did almost accidentally ban my own alt once. Fortunately, I got an access denied message!

Alex
I guess being staff is an additional responsibility and it takes some time to get used to it. At the same time though, staff are still here because they enjoy and participate in the room, so I don’t feel like I have to be overly responsible for everything that happens in the room. Most of the time it’s pretty chill and I don’t think mods are really as scary or uptight as people think (I hope?)

I don’t think I’ve accidentally banned a staff member but I may have muted one before.

Andy30
I was feeling pretty nervous because I didn't want to make any mistake because people would remember me then. THP is also a pretty big room for PS which doesn't make it easier staffing it. I did have situations where I warned or muted the wrong person because of tab.

RavioliQueen
First few days were a bit stressful, as there was a whole new set of responsibilities I had to bear in the room, and I didn’t want to mess up or do anything wrong, so I was always asking a lot of questions to make sure I didn’t end up doing anything stupid. But at the same time, it hasn’t changed the fact that I’m still active and talking in the room and participating in conversations and such, so there’s some chill factor there.
No, I’ve never accidentally banned myself or a staff member before.

Thank you to those that submitted questions, and an even bigger thanks to the staff that took the time to answer them!
If you happen to have any further questions, don't hesitate to reach out on PS! :psyglad:
Until then, stay safe and thank you for reading!​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)