The Everything NFL Thread - 2017-18 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Im pretty sure i've proven that the AFC east doesn't suck multiple times

Coincidentally the AFC east is also the best of all 4 AFC divisions this year
No. You've proven what we all know and that shouldn't need proof: The Patriots is a damn good team.

That doesn't change the fact that the division is the easiest in the NFL. And on the spirit of what you linked, it's easy to consider the division good and have all those "non-division" games as a proof, when one of the team is the Patriots.

I took the time to gather the data from the past 10 years (2007 - 2016) on all the OTHER teams in the division.

If what you say is true, that the division is the strongest, then it follows that, if we remove the Patriots from it, it would still be a really good division, right?

Well, in the 300 non-divisional games that the Dolphins, the Bills and the Jets played from 2006 to 2017, they combined for 137 wins and 163 losses. That's 0.456, and it would be good for the second worst division in the chart you pulled.

Also, saying the AFC East is the best AFC division this year doesn't mean anything. The AFC is completely thrash this year, other than Steelers, Patriots and Jaguars.

The "BEST" division, AFC East, without the Patriots, is a meager 0.481, nothing to write home about. Sure, better than the 0.428 of the North (dragged by the winless Browns - without the Browns, the AFC North is 0.560) and the 0.441 of South and West, but that's not good.

What you fail to understand is that nobody is underestimating how good the Patriots are. They are a darn good team. The thing is that it's easier to have as many SBs as you have when the division is this walk in the park, and you pretty much have a guaranteed spot on the playoffs every year.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I've done the number crunching before where if you remove the top team from each division the afc east is about average. They are not a bad division or an exceptionally good division. But no one gives them credit because the Patriots are good and that's not really at all fair. I like the Bills and the Dolphins I think those are teams who struggle but are struggling towards the right direction and it's undeniable that the Jets were a rather good team a few years back in the Rex Ryan years. But we continue to talk about these teams as if they're the Browns or something when they aren't at all.

I am laughing at "if you remove the best team from a division and then remove the worst team from this other division and compare them the number are very different" That's great analysis thank you.

I've done the number crunching before where if you remove the top team from each division the afc east is about average. They are not a bad division or an exceptionally good division. But no one gives them credit because the Patriots are good and that's not really at all fair. I like the Bills and the Dolphins I think those are teams who struggle but are struggling towards the right direction and it's undeniable that the Jets were a rather good team a few years back in the Rex Ryan years. But we continue to talk about these teams as if they're the Browns or something when they aren't at all.

I am laughing at "if you remove the best team from a division and then remove the worst team from this other division and compare them the number are very different" That's great analysis thank you.
I didn't remove the Browns, I put it into the comparison, just thought it was curious. The thing here is "the division is the best in the league against non-division opponents", and I just showed that, removing the Pats from the equation, this doesn't hold any water.

The "BEST" division, AFC East, without the Patriots, is a meager 0.481, nothing to write home about. Sure, better than the 0.428 of the North (dragged by the winless Browns - without the Browns, the AFC North is 0.560) and the 0.441 of South and West, but that's not good.
"In order to get an accurate idea of the success of the division you must throw out the records from the best and worst teams in the division."

"I'm telling you that the other teams in the AFC east are bad in comparison to other divisions, and to make my point i'm going to remove the record of the worst team in the league from the AFC north and the best team in the league from the AFC east so that my completely cherrypicked talking point makes sense"

Btw if we go by this absurd logic and only count the bottom 3 teams in each division the AFC east still has the highest win total since 2000

Next

Last edited:

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The bills and dolphins are not awful, they're just not very good either. I put them on the level of the Texans, titans, etc. The ravens, despite their struggles recently, have been consistently better than those teams for the last 15 years. Hell even the Bengals have been better over that span. You keep using statistics that rely on win-loss record and you're not using your eyes. All three of those other teams in the afc east have been mediocre at best during the patriots' dominance, except for a couple outlier seasons by the jets and dolphins when they were "decent". Come playoff time, nobody is worried about them beating them. They are, however, worried about the ravens Steelers chargers Broncos chefs and raiders beating them.

Pour one for the Bills, Lions, and Browns for not winning division since realignment

Jags on their way to their first South crown this year at least

ANYWAY, let's all play a fun game called "who the fuck can guess the wild cards with 3 weeks left to go"

as of right now, it's

1. Eagles (11-2) vs NYG/OAK/DAL (clinched division)
2. Vikings (10-3) vs CIN/GB/CHI (clinch division with win)
3. Rams (9-4) vs SEA/TEN/SF
4. Saints (9-4) vs NYJ/ATL/TB
----
5. Panthers (9-4) vs GB/TB/ATL
6. Falcons (8-5) vs TB/NO/CAR
7. Seahawks (8-5) vs STL/DAL/ARI
8. Lions (7-6) vs CHI/CIN/GB
9. Packers (7-6) vs CAR/MIN/DET
10. Cowboys (7-6) vs OAK/SEA/PHI
11. Cardinals (6-7) vs WAS/NYG/SEA

NFC is just a bloodbath right now, every team from Rams on down has at least one rough game left that can make or break their season. But the second of STL/SEA and NO/CAR should make the playoffs imo. Packers have the roughest slate of games, AROD will have to beast out. Lions could conceivably sneak in if Rams beat Seahawks this week but GB could easily spoil them anyway. ATL gonna have to beat division rivals to close out the season... I don't think they do it.

1. Steelers (11-2) vs NE/HOU/CLE (clinched division, nice to see Steelers #1 in AFC for one week of the season)
2. Patriots (10-3) vs PIT/BUF/NYJ (clinch division with win or Bills loss)
3. Jaguars (9-4) vs HOU/SF/TEN
4. Chiefs (7-6) vs SD/MIA/DEN
5. Titans (8-5) vs SF/STL/JAX
6. Bills (7-6) vs MIA/NE/MIA (when's the last time they been slotted this high this late in the season?!?)
7. Ravens (7-6) vs CLE/IND/CIN
8. Chargers (7-6) vs KC/NYJ/OAK
9. Raiders (6-7) vs DAL/PHI/SD
10. Dolphins (6-7) vs BUF/KC/BUF
not bothering with (5-8) Jets/Bengals cuz all 3 of their games are against winning records lol

Ravens have by far the easiest schedule left, they will make it as long as nothing catastrophic happens. KC/SD could very well decide the division this weekend, and I think the loser takes the other wild card spot. imo Titans aren't ready enough to beat STL/JAX the final two weeks to clinch. I love the Bills but god damn, they gotta beat division rival twice (that's still in the hunt) and NE AGAIN to be sitting pretty? nah fam... the streak continues.

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Hell even the Bengals have been better over that span.
Ah yes, the Marvin "I haven't won a playoff game in 15 years as head coach yet somehow still have maintained my job the entire time" Lewis-led Cincinnati Bengals.

Granted, neither the Dolphins nor the Bills have won a playoff game in his tenure either but I just wanted to dump on Jeff Fisher 2.0.

the nfl assigned the most flag happy crew in the league to its biggest game of the season

surely this will have no effect on anyone's enjoyment of the game

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
I like how you don't even realize that you literally proved his point.

Pour one for the Bills, Lions, and Browns for not winning division since realignment
Holy shit I was ready to slit my wrists after seeing that torturous division winner image AND dickhead pretzals reminding me that the Lions are barely .1 against winning teams since realignment.

My only consolation is that the Pats will go back to being the joke that they were as soon as brady/belichick retire. Prior to this historic 15 year run of success, NE was just as shit as Detroit, Cleveland and Jax have been. A reckoning is coming and it will be beautiful when it does

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why does Jim Caldwell always look like he's about to cry?

other than the fact that he has to spend so much time in Detroit

Eagles are cursed dude

Their fans have to start choke-slamming each other through tables like Bills fans in order to break the curse

now if the bills can get an actual good quarterback we could see some shit happening. Guess for now tho we're stuck with Tyrod. He ain't terrible atleast, he just sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)