The Double Battle Metagame (GBU)

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
gastro usually run in hail a combination of these 5 moves:

muddy water, earthpower, blizzard, recover, protect.

Also modest is notably faster and you'll outspeed mons like adamant 31 iv in speed metagross who can in turn do serious unwanted damage, so quiet if you can.

Alright, I'll go with this:

Abomasnow: Quiet
Chandelure: Quiet
Conkeldurr: Brave
Reuniclus: Quiet
Gastrodon: Quiet
Amoonguss: Sassy

What are the good items in VGC play?

EDIT: Once again, thank you for your help, Ashenlock and soul survivor.

Some, not all, include:

[Type] Gem
Focus Sash
[Type] Resist Berry

These are really just the ones that don't see as much use in Singles. Stuff like Life Orb is great too, but it's very common, and doesn't need my endorsement.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Well im not too great at which item can be on which mon as theres multiple items, So ill list them all(in order of preferance):

chandelure: STAB gem, focus sash, mental herb, sitrus berry
abamasnow: focus sash,ice gem, iron ball, sitrus berry, occa berry, chople berry
conkeldurr: flame orb/toxic orb
reuniclus: life orb, mental herb,
gastrodon:Rindo berry, sitrus,
amoonguss: occa berry, mental herb, coba berry

Well sitrus is the main recovery due to vgc being so fast pace, amd you might know this, but if you don't mental herb is listed to beat out taunters. gems are useful as they act like a auto specs/band. Also if you opt iron ball on abama it means no matter what hail will be up 1st turn.

According to what you listed, I'll go with:

1. Ghost Gem
2. Focus Sash
3. Flame Orb
4. Life Orb
5. Sitrus Berry
6. Mental Herb

Time to go get PO, test and make any needed changes, and make the team IRL.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gastrodon makes very little sense on a hail team; Abomasnow does an excellent job by itself of walling and taking out Water-types, which Gastrodon is supposed to do, and there are far better options for taking out Fire- and Steel-types (an Earthquake user such as Rhyperior or Mamoswine comes to mind). Gastrodon is best suited as a check to rain or an attacker on a rain team, abusing Storm Drain to hit quite hard and its excellent bulk and resistances to stall out most opposing Water-types.

Also keep in mind when using Focus Sash that Hail will nullify it, making it almost useless on a Hail team except for an Ice-type such as Abomasnow or Glaceon.

Focus Sash will be on Abomasnow, so no worries there. After seeing what you erote about Gastrodon, I'll change it to Rhyperior.

What would be a good item for him?
Does Rock Blast/Earthquake/Megahorn/filler work?
I feel like I'd need another Blizzard user, would you replace Amoonguss with Glaceon?

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In doubles, Rock Slide is far superior to Rock Blast, as it hits both opponents. Protect is a staple move for most doubles Pokemon and works excellently as a "filler." Also, don't feel like you need a certain number of Blizzard users on a Hail team. Hail is most often used to counter opposing weather, and it still accomplishes that quite well even with Abomasnow as the only Blizzard abuser. Sure, it's a powerful spread attack with excellent coverage, but there's no need to force yourself to use it when you don't need it otherwise.

That's the fatal flaw of many weather teams I've seen; they feel they "aren't allowed" to stray outside of their weather's element. Use what works best.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Hey I was thinking as we truly don't know whats the most common playstyle I was gonna do 100 battles from this point, and record the various playstyles from drizzle balance-trickroom.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
cool. I've only done 7 battles so far, but im excluding anyone who has below 15 wins in free, and anyone below 1550 in rated.
So with that i only gt 3 good battles and the results of 3/100 battles are:
goodstuff:1
hail:1
non-weather trickroom:1

Would anyone else like to compile data on their GBU matches? I've found it to be constructive and also helpful in reminding me what Pokemon the opponent could send out. What I do is record the name and wincount of the player, his team, what win/loss I moved to after the match (or if it was a D/C), and what order the Pokemon came out, as well as about three lines of notes on the battle. This sort of thing could be very useful for early VGC2012 strategizing, as well.

I was trolling doubles with a After You Cincinoo and Focus Punch Conkeldurr when I ran across a SUPER STALL-LIKE team. the leads were Pickup Ambipom and Linoone (sp?) that both had Fling. the two would Fling, flinch both of your 'mons and regain their item because of Pickup. Luckily, I had Mach Punch+Helping Hand.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
^what does the after you do again? feel like a nob somtimes.

Also I've been testing hail room as a possibility for vgc. At first i jus wanted to see how powerful helping hand plus gem explosion was, but then it turned into a team. Here it is:(in order of selection)
gem metagross: He's slow enough for trickroom, and can effectively use explosion.
sitrus berry musharna: I wanted a pokemon immune to explosion but had HH. And she just sorta sticked to my team setting trickroom up.
water gem jellicent: Well i wanted something that can come in after explosion and do damage. Well Jelli filled that role. I figured gem water spout plus HH does damage too.
hariyama-I thought about switching my leads up. What if I want a fake out lead, and then I thought of hariyama as that great fake out lead,
abamasnow-At this point I wasn't aiming for anytype of weather, but abama's low speed, and access to blizzard and energy ball to fend off rain, he just "fit" in to my team
emboar-Yea emboar. After i chose abamasnow I looked at my post of what hail teams needed and one was a fire type. I didn't want chandy because i already have 2 trickroomers, but then I just happened to go on serebii to check emboars stats and i was sold. I mean 123 base atk plus two great stabs and a low base 65 speed. He instantly became my go to guy vs sun.

^what does the after you do again? feel like a nob somtimes.

Also I've been testing hail room as a possibility for vgc. At first i jus wanted to see how powerful helping hand plus gem explosion was, but then it turned into a team. Here it is:(in order of selection)
gem metagross: He's slow enough for trickroom, and can effectively use explosion.
sitrus berry musharna: I wanted a pokemon immune to explosion but had HH. And she just sorta sticked to my team setting trickroom up.
water gem jellicent: Well i wanted something that can come in after explosion and do damage. Well Jelli filled that role. I figured gem water spout plus HH does damage too.
hariyama-I thought about switching my leads up. What if I want a fake out lead, and then I thought of hariyama as that great fake out lead,
abamasnow-At this point I wasn't aiming for anytype of weather, but abama's low speed, and access to blizzard and energy ball to fend off rain, he just "fit" in to my team
emboar-Yea emboar. After i chose abamasnow I looked at my post of what hail teams needed and one was a fire type. I didn't want chandy because i already have 2 trickroomers, but then I just happened to go on serebii to check emboars stats and i was sold. I mean 123 base atk plus two great stabs and a low base 65 speed. He instantly became my go to guy vs sun.
It makes it so the Pokemon that uses the move makes it hit like its the next turn so Focus Punch hits instantly.

Seen the oddest thing this morning...A Latias that would have (I'm guessing) been Taunt fodder.

I know it had Safeguard, Swagger, and Protect. Never revealed the 4th move, but I'm guessing either Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse, or Recover.

Safeguard turn one, then Swagger, targeting Latias' teammate Tyranitar). +2 Atk w/ no confusion.

Nothing too special, I guess, but it caught me off guard.

is anyone here named Goggles because i faintly remember someone saying that and if so I just battled u.
oh, and why did u d/c? u just had won.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
is anyone here named Goggles because i faintly remember someone saying that and if so I just battled u.
oh, and why did u d/c? u just had won.
There are over a 100,000+ pokemon players, and at least 10,000+ gbu players. Odds of them being on smogon are 1/in alot..... Also theres a thread for d/c.

Well, I once played tlyee61 on randoms and we could contact each other perfectly...maybe this is not the correct place to ask that since only a few users follow these threads...

I know the odds are slim, but if anybody here battles someone with the in-game name "Joel", and it says they are from Kansas, you are probably battling me.

just here to say that you shouldn't be afraid to put hi jump kick on mienshao, drain punch on a frail mon isn't worth it

this is what i'm using on my current balanced sun team:

Mienshao @ Flight Gem
Jolly Inner Focus
252 atk spe

Wide Guard
Fake Out
Acrobatics
Hi Jump Kick

it works wonders against sandstorm, and hi jump kick is crazy powerful with some prediction (yeah, ttar, i know you're gonna protect), and its great for forcing a weather starter out and nabbing a KO with acrobatics or something

hitmontop can probably do the same thing but mienshao is faster and has higher attack and i usually dont need hitmontop's bulk anyway :V

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)