The Battlespot Analysis Project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This thread is locked because we now have our very own analyses forum! Check it out if you'd like to contribute! http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/battle-spot-analyses.336/

Hello everyone! As some of you may have heard, we have started a Battle Spot analysis project of sorts! Getting analyses on site could really help increase our size on the site, and since there isn't many english resources on Battle Spot battling, would obviously be a huge help for anyone wanting to get into Nintendo's metagames. However, because of our small size, we won't be getting a C&C forum until we prove that Battle Spot analyses can actually get done in a reasonable matter of time. So because of this, we aren't doing analyses the normal C&C way. Read below if you want to help!

1. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: THIS IS NOT A RESERVATION THREAD!

Due to our small size, we can't really have an army of QC stampers around, so we're using a Conversation system to get things done. You won't be able to actually reserve or write an analysis unless you get approved for the conversation, so PM Theorymon or battlespot mods cant say or Hulavuta if you want in. Also, note that since Doubles is VGC this year, they do actually have their own analysis forum located here!

Not everyone is going to get approved, this is going to be at our discretion. Factors usually are going to include Battle Spot knowledge or ranking well on the 3DS ladder, so use that in your "applications" so to speak. Don't be too down if you don't get in though, because there are other things you can still do!

2. The main purpose of this thread (beyond announcing this project) is to post feedback within this thread for mostly complete analysis rough drafts and incomplete analyses and skeletons. As long as you aren't rude, feel free to leave feedback regarding sets, strategies, grammar, or any other nitpick you can find!

3. We are currently focusing on Singles and Doubles. The reason we are focusing on these two is because they are the Battle Spot metagames with the biggest userbases. That's not to say that Triples or Rotations aren't happening though: The end goal for this project is to have analyses for all four metagames! Just wait a bit if you want to contribute on Triples and Rotations, we'll figure out something for those two once we get Singles and Doubles on track!

Last edited by a moderator:

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Okay so I just though of something-maybe for move 1 in the sets people should list the move that you would most likely want to use in case you run out of time to pick your move, whether its the main move of the set or not. I always hate it when I run out of time and it uses the slot 1 move which is normally really bad >_< I need to do this myself now that i think about it

For example-ethan06's Belly Drum Azumarill. Aqua Jet should be in slot 1 because if you've already Belly Drummed, you're kinda screwed if the timer runs out

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay so I just though of something-maybe for move 1 in the sets people should list the move that you would most likely want to use in case you run out of time to pick your move, whether its the main move of the set or not. I always hate it when I run out of time and it uses the slot 1 move which is normally really bad >_< I need to do this myself now that i think about it

For example-ethan06's Belly Drum Azumarill. Aqua Jet should be in slot 1 because if you've already Belly Drummed, you're kinda screwed if the timer runs out
Thats an interesting idea, but the way analyses are formatted on the rest of the site it goes by the most viable move. So if a set is named after something than that move goes in the first slot and then the second most viable move goes after that and so on and so forth.

Edit @ below: hmmm, since Battle Spot is primarily played on the cart as opposed to the sim (which the rest of analyses are played primarily on the sim), I'll ask the higher ups about the move order when we do end up getting analyses on site. For now just leaving them in the format that the rest of the analyses go by is the way to go.

Last edited:

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thats an interesting idea, but the way analyses are formatted on the rest of the site it goes by the most viable move. So if a set is named after something than that move goes in the first slot and then the second most viable move goes after that and so on and so forth.
I guess we don't have to put it in move 1 then, how about usage tips/moves?

I would put the moves in order of viability like other analyses. The idea of the one you'd most likely use when the timer is low really depends on specific situations imo.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Keep in mind that analyses for Showdown already cut out any mention of the timer, as well as a lot of other tiny things that could theoretically affect a game, like accidentally clicking the wrong move, forgetting to click the mega evolution box, etc. They are written under the assumption that the player will never make those mistakes; player mistakes are just too far removed from the actual strategy to include in the analysis. So, while running out of time to pick your move is something that does happen once in a while, it's not something that ever should happen (in other words, it's always a mistake, never a tactic), so it shouldn't really be on the analysis. At most it can be mentioned in the tips section, but honestly I can't think of any cases where "X is the move you'll be wanting to use most of the time" would be better replaced by "X is in the first slot so it can be selected automatically in case you run out of time".

And as NOVED pointed out, it's super situational what move you'd want to use, it depends entirely on what Pokemon you're up against. Overall, it's a ton of work for almost zero benefit, and analyses should always be under the assumption that the player is going to be able to choose an action on his or her turn.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So I just re-read the above post by Theorymon and it didn't really give a list of people who can help people write an analysis. Its not to hard to write one, but for a first timer it can be a bit intimidating. You just need to have knowledge of how the Pokemon you want to write about plays in the Battle Spot metagame. After you get the majority of the info down the other members of the PM will help go through and point out any minor errors you might have made. However the big question you're asking yourself is how do I write an analysis?

Here are some helpful links that you can read through to better understand how a smogon analysis is written.
Generation 6 Analysis Format
Spelling and Grammar Standards
Grammar-Prose Team Queue
[thread=how-to-write-a-pokemon-analysis.3531173/]How To Write A Pokemon Analysis[/thread]

--

Now reading all of those links might be a bit much and you may have a lot of questions afterwords. I'm going to list some people who don't mind helping out in a piratepad and making it easier to get your analysis written.
Montsegur
CoolStoryBrobat
SM979
Theorymon

I only put on people who have written an analysis before, if you wish to be added or removed from this list then VM me.

Also please note that the people on this list have other things outside of smogon and aren't available all of the time. For instance I'm only available on the weekends, so be understanding if someone can't help you out right away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)