ORAS Doubles OU Team Glennn!

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ Team Glennn! ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

:T​

This is a team that has served me and, being a sample team, many others well. It has seen a good share of success in many tours by the hands of many people, including the numerous Seasonals we have had. Built back then in 2014 during Mega Salamence's first stay in the metagame, this is a team that has seen so much use and still dueling it off with Father Time. This team was first used in the ladder, with the double Tailwind scheme being useful for autopiloting against random kiddies and nifty for essentially giving me a "get out of jail free" card with a fast Breloom. After I got it to Top 10 after some really casual laddering (never bothered to go for #1 lol that takes effort) I posted this on our Sample Teams thread, which in turn helped give this team presence in tours, ladder, and casual play that lasts until today. The team did face some changes, but that's only on making the spreads more efficient; no team members or moves were changed from the original ever.

Spare me if this sounds arrogant, but with the success the team has and the general novelty value of a Breloom in Tailwind (lol), Team Glennn! is, without a doubt, one of the more iconic teams in DOU. The team is simple to use, the fundamentals are obvious, and it has proven to be effective numerous times already. What I'm presenting here in this thread is the version that I myself am using, though there are variations on moves and stuff that other people use which I will take note of. This team is also probably what single-handedly propelled Breloom's usage, but I digress.

Here's the teambuilding process if you're into those. This'd probably be a good read!

This was the duo that started it all. I recall someone parading around this core back in mid-XY, and everyone was hyping up Suicune due to its ability to function as an able Mega Salamence check. The two have very obvious synergy; Suicune takes out Fires and Landog, while Breloom takes out opposing Waters and Spores everything else. A Breloom in Tailwind is not a fun foe.

When is Mega Kangaskhan ever wrong? Suicune being able to smack Landorus-T helps a lot. Another notable thing is that Fake Out + Spore is really great, and the duo of Kangaskhan and Breloom just breaks the ladder lol.

I needed Heatran for dealing with opposing Steel-types, especially Aegislash. It's also cool for dealing with the Amoongusses of the world since they can be a pain in the ass, especially if they have a Rocky Helmet on.

I put in Latios because I needed a much more sane check to Water- and Electric-types, a role that Breloom obviously cannot handle by itself. It's also there to improve the kinda horrible Sun match-up (Sun never changed from Early ORAS to present time) and patch up the Fighting-type weakness.

Choice Scarf Landorus-T is there to be a useful check against the physical attackers, such as Mega Kangaskhan, Landorus-T, and Mega Diancie (which I didn't think was an actual threat at the time l o l). It's also picked to give the team some Speed, nifty in the days of Skymin's reign of terror.

Plains (Kangaskhan) (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Kangaskhan is one of the main cogs of the team. It's simply just a great mon in the metagame, a ridiculously powerful beatstick with good bulk. Its main purpose in the team is, simply put, to hit shit hard, setting up with Power-up Punch if the boost is needed to apply tremendous pressure. The set's standard for a PuP Mega Kangaskhan, with Fake Out a useful move for giving me free turns, Return being a basic STAB move, PuP for STAB and a kinda decent coverage move, and Sucker Punch for nifty priority. The spread's not really rocket science; it creeps the Jolly Breloom Speed tier with the remaining EVs being invested into Attack for power and HP + Def for bulk.
All-Out Attacker instead of PuP
Protect instead of Fake Out

Awake (Breloom) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Protect

I think I already said before that I really like using Breloom, and I don't know why. It's just a Pokemon that I find some novelty in using. Breloom's fairly one-dimensional as it can only really run Focus Sash effectively. Still, it's a pretty dangerous threat with Spore. Spore's useful for temporarily making something a non-factor in play, which helps a lot with finding turns to set up, position, or just freely attack. It's also important to note that a Breloom with Tailwind support is the one of the most annoying and nervewracking things to face ever, as it can just Spore anything it wants (or Bullet Seed lal). Breloom also helps with bulky Waters, gives me a check to Amoonguss by being a Spore switch-in and ignoring Rage Powder, and is useful for sniping with Mach Punch. The set is standard, Jolly letting it outrun and Spore as much foes as it can.

Montana (Suicune) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 144 SpA / 40 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Tailwind Jesus. Along with Breloom, this is one of my starting points with building this team. At the time when this was still just an idea, Suicune was getting hyped around for being a Mega Salamence check, and I adopted KyleCole's old spread. Overtime, I changed it up to outrun Deoxys-Attack in Tailwind because in no holy hell do I want to lose to that, then with the metagame ever changing the spread became that; it lives a +2 Adamant Return from Mega Kangaskhan with Sitrus and 116+ SpA Rotom-W Thunderbolt is a 3HKO with Sitrus (lol) while still beating Deoxys-Attack in Tailwind. My set is a bit more offensive than typical Suicunes because I didn't want my Suicune to be a sitting duck. I wanted it to be actually able to put in significant damage and not be taken advantage of by foes. I opted for Hydro Pump and Protect instead of Scald and Snarl for that reason, as I prefer the "kill-now" vibe and positioning benefits over slowly taking the foe out.
Snarl > Protect
Scald > Hydro Pump
A bulkier spread

Spectre (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 244 SpA / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Heatran is cool because it patches up my Amoonguss and Steel-type problems a bit while also giving me another potent attacker. It's also cool for forming a nifty FWG core, giving me the synergy that I always liked playing a bit reactionary to proactively with. The Dragon- and Fairy-type resists help the team a lot, too, giving me a switch-in against the Latioses, Sylveons, and Mega Gardevoirs of the world. The Substitute set is standard, not much else to say really. Fake Out and Spore from Mega Kangaskhan and Breloom, respectively, help set up Substitute, though, which is kinda nice. The spread creeps Adamant Bisharp. The spread here is different from the sample teams thread because I never bothered to tell them soon lol.

L (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Tailwind
- Protect

Latios is here to patch up that horrible Fighting-type match-up that I have, as without Latios I just get absolutely stomped by Keldeo. It's also cool for taking on Water- and Electric-types, things that the team doesn't really have switch-ins for (Breloom doesn't count since it's frail as hell), and it helps the Sun match-up considerably. Other than those, Latios is just here to do usual Latios things with a usual Latios set. The Speed tier helps a lot since it can "support" by taking out faster threats to my otherwise slower team. Draco Meteor is a nuke, and Psyshock is to hit Sylveon and stuff like that harder. Tailwind is for speed control, not much else to say really. As to why I'm using Tailwind instead of another move since this is double Tailwind now, I'll get to that later.
Hidden Power Ground > Tailwind
Psychic > Psyshock

Apogee (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower

Landorus-T was added at a point where there were no glaring holes in my build. It's there because there's really no case where Choice Scarf Landorus-T is a wrong decision. It gives me a really nifty Speed safety net, which was especially useful back when Skymin was still a thing. Landorus-T's also useful for giving me a much more immediate way of dealing with the likes of Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Metagross, and Mega Diancie. Not much else to say, as I'm using Landorus-T for being Landorus-T. Stone Edge over Rock Slide is because slaying the likes of Thundurus quickly is a huge thing for the team; this is especially true on that ladder when there are cheese strats with Zapdos and Thundurus running about, but it's still useful in tournaments for the same reasons. The Speed is to beat the Mega Manectric and Mega Lopunny range of mons while getting a slower U-turn against faster opposing Choice Scarf Landorus-T. I don't really want to get cheesed in the ladder (by randoms) and tournaments (by the Arcticblasts and other innovators) by the two said Megas by going slower so yeah lellers.
Rock Slide > Stone Edge
Jolly > Adamant
Life Orb > Choice Scarf

"What a stellar team you have, Memo—

"OMG it's double Tailwind! (;´༎ຶД༎ຶ`)"

One of the notable traits this team has can also be seen as its biggest holes. Double Tailwind, or having two instances of Tailwind on a team for the uninitiated, is typically redundant and inefficient, and a team is often better of just using another move on one of the Tailwind users instead, like say a coverage move or a different support move. Still, for some reason or another, the team takes games; it's successful. I'm going to be honest right here, but imo the team doesn't exactly need two instances of Tailwind. However, it doesn't need anything else either, since the team covers so many threats already with its synergy. So on my Latios (Suicune's only niche in the DOU metagame is Tailwind so I won't change that), instead of using Hidden Power Ground to improve an already fine Heatran match-up or Recover for, err, recovery, I opted for a luxury move in Tailwind since, really, there's not much wrong about Mega Kangaskhan, Breloom, and co. having the Speed advantage and it's really dangerous if I have more chances to give the said advantage to them. I can't really say exactly why or how this team (or set of mons) is still a winner, too, since I'm not the only one who uses this team; other people do change the sets up, like Shaian for example. Heck, I don't even use this team much nowadays except for some casual laddering!

Other than that, I don't really have much else to say. This team is cool, I like it, it's a winner, etc. If you actually read this whole then good job, thanks and more power to you sir. Also, if you know where the nicknames are from then you're a cool guy. If you guys want, give me a like, I kinda want more of those lol. Praise Breloom!

:)!

Plains (Kangaskhan) (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Awake (Breloom) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Protect

Montana (Suicune) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 144 SpA / 40 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Spectre (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 244 SpA / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

L (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Tailwind
- Protect

Apogee (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower
shaian - You're a cool guy

qsns - You're a cool terrorist

@ the DOU Community - nerds and horrible memers, but cool all the same
@ the sidewalks - for keeping me off the streets

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
shaian not giving credit for the nicks where it's due, what else should i expect from a curry slurper

this team is really good obviously. over the last year i've really noticed 3 points of contention with the team, which are scarf lando, offensive cune, and tailwind latios; you addressed the last one yourself but didn't really discuss the other two besides noting that others disagree with them. i happen to like both scarf lando and offensive cune here. scarf lando seems redundant on a tailwind team but without it you're running nothing faster than 110 and with only kang for priority that means you're really relying on cune being able to switch in on things like diancie and tailwind in their face. i've seen lots of teams that do this and what happens is cune dies too early and the team crumples, so i like scarf lando here. since this team has no method of recovery except for leftovers on tran, and it has a lot of bruisers that like to take advantage of breloom sleep turns, having a slow ass cune to slow the team down would really ruin things. being able to do actually decent damage with hpump to keep up the pace of the offense is much better.

only things i might contest are snarl over protect on cune to help your cm cress and cube matchups (though honestly this doesn't help too much vs cube because -1 cube does just as much damage as +0) and recover on latios because fuck yeah recover latios (but not both of these changes unless u want to never set tailwind).

there's a reason this team was so successful. archive pls

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a suggestion, but i would recommend shiny breloom over non-shiny as it coordinates much better with the current team than the non-shiny one. If you look carefully you'll notice that your team currently has 2 orange Pokemon (landorus-t and heatran) and 2 blue ones (latios and suicune, but kangaskhan (light brown) and breloom (green) don't fall into either of these categories. Shiny breloom, however, is orange and light brown, tying it in nicely to the existing colour sets. Nothing else to add really, go glennn !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)