ORAS OU Strong core, weak additions

I started playing pokemon about 2 months ago after watching a bunch of competitive battles. For a while, I was doing very well with my team. I got up to around 1650 on showdown, and long story short, I dropped to 1400. I very quickly saw the flaws of my team and tried to fix them, to poor effect. It was originally designed around mega-beedrill + magnezone + azumarill, a core that I thought of which proved to be very effective. After replacing breloom with latios, I've seen that he synergizes much better with magnezone and azumarill than beedrill, so I've kept that into mind.

Jerry Seinfeld (Beedrill-Mega) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Drill Run
- Poison Jab
- U-turn

The main attacker of the team. Poison jab is just standard STAB, and U-turn gives this pokemon the potential to get azumarill a free switch in. Drill run is used to get rid of certain steel types, such as heatran and excadrill, who may come in expecting to get a free steel move onto azumarill after I switch. These are also two steels that magnezone is not going to want to switch in on.

Ufo (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

All three of my main attackers get walled by steel-types for the most part, so this is the obvious solution. Some of the biggest walls to this team, such as Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory get thrashed by this guy. Using volt-switch allows me to get even more free switch-ins for azumarill, as well as into lando, who bodies Heatran and Excadrill, two steel-types that this pokemon is reluctant to fight. It also adds some very solid water coverage, something this team lacks.

Pikachoo (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

This is why I talked so much about getting azumarill in safely. The possibility of two successful belly drums is very dangerous. This pokemon can basically set up for free against dark types like Weavile and Tyranitar who try to switch in on Latios, as well as eating dragon-type moves. Play rough allows him to delete dragons, and knock off is handy for hitting any pokemon switching in.

Wang (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Defog

Bulky grass types, especially those with a poison secondary typing, wall this team pretty well. Especially mega-venusaur, who negates the team's only supereffective move against him. All these pokemon are bait for latios. This gives a very good synergy between azumarill and latios, as they can switch into eachother's counters with impunity for the most part. It is also a great answer to rotom-wash, someone who can switch in and get free damage on this team. Defog allows it to clear a path for beedrill, and surf allows me to damage steel types on the switch.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Hazard-setter. U-turn gives it great pivot potential, being able to get mega beedrill in safely in a few situations, something that can be very difficult. Earthquake gives me another option to deal with steel types, as well as neutral damage on most things, and stone edge is great for getting rid of ice and flying types.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Lunar Dance
- Thunder Wave

The team's meat shield, takes the hits nobody else wants to. Thunder wave lets it cripple problematic pokemon and cripple sweepers. Moonlight offers reliable recovery, while psychic offers a way to damage opponents. Lunar Dance is the a big incentive for having this pokemon as it gives our attackers a second chance, especially azumarill who could possibly belly dance three times in one match omgwtfbqqffs

At this point, I'm very unsure about whether or not Cresselia, mega-beedrill, and possibly even lando are worth keeping. I feel like this team has very strong potential, just needs better support.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)