Strategies for Jimbo, the newcomer, to go up against the heavyweight Steelicks.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay. Here's the Full Outline for this Project. This will literally be the OP for the thread that the public will see, with list of content that I think is necessary for the site.

Note that we're holding off the interactive ingame map for now. This is because I think most of our programmers are busy, and it's not something that we definitely need, just something that's nice to have.

Due to Smogon's long established preference for competitive play, many aspects of the game are ignored on the main site. Meaning that for the most part, the site assumes that the players are self sufficient enough to find other resources for content related to actual cartridge play.

This means that there are a lot of resources relating to the subject matter spread out over the internet, and may even mean that some of these resources don't even exist. Sites such as Serebii are vague and do not provide enough information, while sources from sites like GameFAQs tend to be concentrated on walkthroughs rather than providing information. The purpose of this project is to gather all the resources from the internet so we can find it all in one place - Smogon, and to create resources that are still needed.

The purpose of this project is to bolster Smogon's coverage of ingame content that is relevant to competitive play. This means that any information we put on the site must be relevant to the competitive player who is playing on the cartridge. Keep this in mind as you suggest new ideas or write new content. Know your audience.

Luckily, we already have a good coverage of ingame material. However, I find that there's more than we can do to make the information we have "complete". Here's the stuff that needs to be done.
  • Location Maps. We want a world map that points to the location of competitive items and for move tutors, for Platinum, FR/LG, and Emerald. This world map needs to be drawn of course. The Map should be a supplement to a simple list of the items/move tutors and their locations.
  • RNG Mechanics. First, we need an explanation of how the RNG works. I'm sure X-Act or loadingNOW or someone has written about this in the past, so I'm sure this just needs to be articlelized enough to be on the site. This needs to accompany the PID-IV/IV-PID material we currently have.
    • This needs to be followed by an article on practical applications of the RNG - to breeding and to Soft Resetting.
  • Tips and Tricks. Compilation of little tricks "every player should know" - from Egg Peeking to Cloning in various game. This section needs to be divided into different generations, as each generations had their own little quirks and tricks. I'm sure this especially applies to breeding as many of our wifi frequents have mastered this to an artform.
  • WiFi Metagame Differences. WiFi metagame is likely different from the shoddy metagame, so an overview of the wifi metagame would be necessary.
  • PBR 3 vs 3 Format. We definitely need to cover this - a general overview of PBR's 3 vs 3 mode.
  • Ingame Tiers. Tiers based on how useful a pokemon is ingame.
  • Speedrun Guides/Tips. How to approach the game if you are to speedrun the game. We need this for the ADV games, the XD games, and the DS generation games.
  • Chaining Guide. What happened to it? Someone was working on it before, and it looks like it just died :(
  • Differences when Playing at Level 50. I know that IV/EVs/Damage is a little different at this level, a guide to cover that would be spiffy.
  • Battle Tower/Frontier
    • - Records - Peterko's OP in Stark Mountain
Carl said:
The tower has many subsets to it but for starters we should focus on the standard singles portion and branch from there. Things like Doubles, Multi and WiFi are less played as shown by the records thread and don't give you a print to say you've "completed part of the Frontier" so those can be put on the back burner for now. I think all of them give ribbons at certain points though so we can at least include that. Actually, doubles should probably get some love right away, too, but the focus should be getting singles up asap.

- We have the "master list" of all pokemon and sets which should be put into table form much like the pokemon listings for tiers for both DP and Plat
- A common question is "what pokemon/moves does the Tycoon have" so this should be mentioned specifically for both DP and Plat
- A successful moveset article perhaps. There are certain tried and true pokemon for the BT such as Counter/DBond/Shadow Ball/Bolt @Sash Gengar so a collection of known successful sets with basic descriptions should be sufficient
- items guide
- Trick is still by far and away the best strategy so this needs its own article. Jump is really the best candidate for this specific job.
- How much BP you earn per set of 7 and whatnot along with what pokemon ribbons you get and how many battles you need to complete to obtain them.
- we'll need most of the above applied to doubles as well

Battle Arcade:
- A short description of the differences between Arcade and Tower
- A listing of all the symbols and what they mean when you're doing the roulette thing.
- Shares the same pokemon listing as the Tower but without items IIRC.
- Dahlia's pokemon listing
- Any other general strategies

Battle Castle:
- Again, differences between the Tower and Castle
- Someone wrote a good guide on how to hoard a lot of Castle Points early so if we could dig that up and edit/add to it that would be excellent.
- Darach's pokemon listing
- Castle doubles only uses 3 pokemon still so this is definitely exploitable.. something on that maybe

Battle Factory:
- We also have the master list for this. Maybe we should split it for what you'll only see in level 50 vs open.
- listings of the selective information given per round of 7 and maybe an example
- general strategy/how to approach the Factory article

Battle Hall:
- battle hall pokemon listing
- A description of how the 1v1 format works
- A description of how the 1v1 doubles format works
- best ways to approach the hall with tried and true pokemon (order of types to take on, etc) for both singles and doubles
- some sort of article on the important items (sash, scarf, band/specs) and why they are superior
Let me know if you guys want to do something before we go to the public. Someone please let me know if you can better organize my post :P

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I posted a Wifi vs Shoddy metagame thread in wifi earlier tonight. After that's been hashed out I'll go through and try to pick out and expand on the valid points for an article of sorts (or whatever you want from it, Tang). I'll poke around for a good wifier that could help if need be.

(I said this on irc too but whatever, posting for posterity)

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I will help with the ingame tiers. I haven't contributed for way too long and I've played RBY/GSC way too often, so I'll volunteer to do RBY and GSC.

I can help with RSEFRLG too if people want that.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
For those that didn't notice - I've added a C&C subforum for the ingame related projects to reside in so this thread doesn't become too out of control. Tangerine and Mingot will be leading it in the same vein that Seven Deadly Sins is currently leading Little Cup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)