Steelix

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Steelix's main role in UU was to wall the fuck out of pretty much anything physical, set up Stealth Rock, and use Roar. Obviously, Dragon Tail makes this so much better, doing neutral damage to most everything AND switching the opponent out.

how is sturdy of any use for him? Doesent he usually switch on resisted stuff as a wall and not get ohko'd? The only way its of any use is if you use him as a revenge killer, switching him in after somethigs been ko'd to have that free hit and imo he has better things to be doing. Encourage allows him to hit harder, allowing him to slot easier into bulky offense teams with his big bad iron tail aswell as crunch and the fang moves and not be insanely easy to wall or be taunt bait.

Or am i missing something?

Sturdy seems to me to help it take a special hit guaranteed at full health and Dragon Tail/Roar the threat away. Might be good if you have a few layers of Spikes or the like up. Potentially damn the Special Attacker as it comes back in after one last shot of Life Orb.

Encourage seems to have this wierd effect where if you use a Encouraged move, you don't take life orb recoil. Perhaps a more offensive steelix set should use life orb for the extra damage?

Also, I'm not sure, but does Encourage remove dragon tails switch effect?

Also, Red Card + Sturdy is always nice.

Here's an encourage set...

Steelix @ life orb
brave nature
ev's: 252 hp/88 Atk/168 Sp. Def
0 speed ivs
-Gyro ball
-earthquake
-stone edge
-dragon tail

best used under dual screens if possible. the evs allow it to have 400 atk, 208 sp.Def and max hp.

thoughts anyone?

Here's an encourage set...

Steelix @ life orb
brave nature
ev's: 252 hp/88 Atk/168 Sp. Def
0 speed ivs
-Gyro ball
-earthquake
-stone edge
-dragon tail

best used under dual screens if possible. the evs allow it to have 400 atk, 208 sp.Def and max hp.

thoughts anyone?
Sorry, but Encourage + Life Orb don't work like that...

Originally Posted by Fat mien
I have tested this with a 175 Spatt Encourage Nidoking hold Life orb using Flamethrower against a Blissey with 306 SpD

Damage = 66 - 79 damage (both min and max confirmed in-game)
Nidoking got no Life Orb damage

As such i confirm that the Encourage and Life Orb boosts stack without any recoil when using a move with a secondary effect.

breh

強いだね
Err.. gimmick time!

[SET]
name: Encourage
move 1: Iron Tail
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Elemental Fangs / Earthquake / Rock Climb (117 BP for those asking)
item: Life Orb
ability: Encourage
nature: Brave (honestly with like 30 base speed IIRC you might as well be good on TR.. and Gyro Ball hits for less I guess lol)
ivs: 0 Spe
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

Very bulky yet pretty powerful (needs testing).

Also bears somewhat of a resemblance to Rankurusu in TR... hm..

Here's a gimmicky Body Purge set.

Steelix @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 HP/252 Atk/232 Spe
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Encourage

~ Body Purge
~ Iron Tail
~ Earthquake
~ Double-edge/Fire Fang/Rock Slide

Iron Tail gets STAB and an Encourage boost to put it at 195 Base Power. Earthquake may not get an Encourage boost, but it still gets STAB and good coverage along with Iron Tail. Double-edge is your strongest move against Rotom-W (it's even stronger than an Encourage boosted Rock Climb and has 100 Accuracy), Fire Fang is for Bronzong, and Rock Slide is for Gyarados and Rotom-H. I chose Body Purge over Rock Polish because it decreases Steelix's weight which will allow it to take less damage from random Low Kicks, Grass Knots, Heat Stamp, and Heavy Bomber.

The EVs allow you to outrun max Speed Base 90 Pokemon with max Atk and the rest in HP. Steelix needs to run Jolly in order to outrun Base 100 Pokemon, which will significantly lower its damage output and Steelix can potentially get another Body Purge off due to its high Def.

Here's a gimmicky Body Purge set.

Steelix @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 HP/252 Atk/232 Spe
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Encourage

~ Body Purge
~ Iron Tail
~ Earthquake
~ Double-edge/Fire Fang/Rock Slide

Iron Tail gets STAB and an Encourage boost to put it at 195 Base Power. Earthquake may not get an Encourage boost, but it still gets STAB and good coverage along with Iron Tail. Double-edge is your strongest move against Rotom-W (it's even stronger than an Encourage boosted Rock Climb and has 100 Accuracy), Fire Fang is for Bronzong, and Rock Slide is for Gyarados and Rotom-H. I chose Body Purge over Rock Polish because it decreases Steelix's weight which will allow it to take less damage from random Low Kicks, Grass Knots, Heat Stamp, and Heavy Bomber.

The EVs allow you to outrun max Speed Base 90 Pokemon with max Atk and the rest in HP. Steelix needs to run Jolly in order to outrun Base 100 Pokemon, which will significantly lower its damage output and Steelix can potentially get another Body Purge off due to its high Def.
I would also consider Iron Head to be a option to use over Iron Tail because, even though it has a bit less base power, it still gets boosted bij Encourage and it doesn't have the shaky accuracy of Iron Tail.

I would also consider Iron Head to be a option to use over Iron Tail because, even though it has a bit less base power, it still gets boosted bij Encourage and it doesn't have the shaky accuracy of Iron Tail.
Unfortunately, Steelix can only learn Iron Head through 4th Gen move tutors, and therefore, it is illegal with Encourage. :pirate:

how is sturdy of any use for him? Doesent he usually switch on resisted stuff as a wall and not get ohko'd? The only way its of any use is if you use him as a revenge killer, switching him in after somethigs been ko'd to have that free hit and imo he has better things to be doing. Encourage allows him to hit harder, allowing him to slot easier into bulky offense teams with his big bad iron tail aswell as crunch and the fang moves and not be insanely easy to wall or be taunt bait.

Or am i missing something?
Using Sturdy means investing in Special Defense is a much lower priority basically. Steelix isn't surviving more than two hits against any respectable special attacker without both investment and switching in on a resistance. By using Sturdy, you can better focus on stats that Steelix actually uses. Steelix's best offensive moves are generally Gyro Ball, EQ, and Payback, which don't get a boost from Encourage at any rate.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
slap a choice band on sturdy steelix and explode on something when they can't OHKO you thanks to sturdy

What no ResTalk?

Steelix @ Leftovers
Impish w/ Sturdy
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Def
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Dragontail/Curse
-Earthquake/Curse

With some entry hazards, especially TSpikes, this thing could do some annoying. Pair it up with a good special wall combo like tentacruel and your good to go.

Gyro Ball is probably better/more reliable on Steelix than Heavy Bomber is. :0 On the other hand, Strike Down seems like a pretty cool move. EQ-weak Skarmory, anyone?

Steelix @ Choice Band
Adamant nature
ev's: 252 hp/ 252 atk/ 4 spe
Ability:Encourage
-Iron Tail
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Filler/(Fangs, Explosion etc.)

Smash stuff with Iron Tail. Even though Steel's a terrible attacking type, Encourage boosted Iron tails will do huge amounts of damage to anything, even resists.

Lead(?) set
sturdy @ custap berry
sassy / 252 hp / 4 atk / 252 spdef
- stealth rock
- gyro ball
- toxic
- explosion

set up SR, get hit by opponent special attack, custap activates, explode.
In case the enemy fails to activate custap, this thing is death fodder.

Steelix @ Choice Band
Adamant nature
ev's: 252 hp/ 252 atk/ 4 spe
Ability:Encourage
-Iron Tail
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Filler/(Fangs, Explosion etc.)

Smash stuff with Iron Tail. Even though Steel's a terrible attacking type, Encourage boosted Iron tails will do huge amounts of damage to anything, even resists.
Replace Choice Band with Life Orb. If a move is boosted by Sheer Force (Encourage) it ignores Life Orb Recoil. This makes the Fangs useful for once (65*1.69=109 is good), and you can run Bulldoze over Earthquake if you want no recoil whatsoever.

Encourage is actually pretty cool. It's attack is 85, just like nidoking's special attack so it can get some pretty good hits off if it actually got any good moves.

This things bulk as surprised me a few times in OU, it can actually take a few boosted hits, and hit decently hard thanks to sheed force. Unfortunantly I think other things in OU still do the job much better.

As long as the hit is physical, it can take anything and respond back with a decent-powered move.

This is a set I tested in OU:

Steelix @ Mental Herb (custap once it's legal)
252 HP/204 Atk/52 Def
Brave (0 Spe) / Sturdy

Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball
Earthquake
Stone Edge/Explosion/Dragon Tail

EVs let it survive Fake Out+HJK from Jolly LO Mienshao 100% of the time. Mental Herb lets it get the one-up on taunt leads like Thundurus, while Custap lets it act as a suicide lead of sorts, attacking until Sturdy triggers then setting up rocks or exploding. Steel+ground has decent coverage vs. most things, and explosion still has high BP. Dragon tail can provide offensive phazing support, though it pairs badly with custap.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Steelix being a set-up bait for Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Forretress is not that appealing...

However, it is one of those Steels that can soak up Outrages AND is not owned by Magnezone.

Gyro Ball and EQ are staples to hit Dragons and Steel Types, respectively. Roar / Dragon Tail is good to rack up Spikes damage, whereas Explosion would prevent Steelix from being utter set-up bait.

Sheer Force provides a few more options to Steelix, though. Thunder Fang 2HKOs Bulky Gyarados with minimal Atk investment. It also needs minimal investment to 3HKO Forretress and Ferrothron with Sheer Force Fire Fang, so they are both useful. Steelix would need ~120 Atk EVs to 3HKO a max HP/Def Gyarados after an Intimidate with Thunder Fang and 252 HP / 208 Def Jellicent with Crunch, respectively.

Steelix being a set-up bait for Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Forretress is not that appealing...

However, it is one of those Steels that can soak up Outrages AND is not owned by Magnezone.

Gyro Ball and EQ are staples to hit Dragons and Steel Types, respectively. Roar / Dragon Tail is good to rack up Spikes damage, whereas Explosion would prevent Steelix from being utter set-up bait.

Sheer Force provides a few more options to Steelix, though. Thunder Fang 2HKOs Bulky Gyarados with minimal Atk investment. It also needs minimal investment to 3HKO Forretress and Ferrothron with Sheer Force Fire Fang, so they are both useful. Steelix would need ~120 Atk EVs to 3HKO a max HP/Def Gyarados after an Intimidate with Thunder Fang and 252 HP / 208 Def Jellicent with Crunch, respectively.

I've actually been pretty interested in Steelix in OU, but I'm not sure what set to use.
Is Sheer Force Steelix even released?

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Unfortunately, no - so I wouldn't bother using either of the Fangs or Crunch on Steelix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)