[STABmons] Kangaskhan [QC: 1/3]

Illusio

Bold and Brash
(Got any viable sets that you think I missed? Feel free to PM me)
QC: 1 / 3
GP: 0 / 2

[OVERVIEW]
  • Its Normal typing, which gives it access to moves like Extreme Speed, combined with its ability, Scrappy, gives it the ability to hit everything pretty hard
  • Can work as a sweeper, if it is able to survive a hit while Belly Drumming.
  • Only has a decent attack stat (95), which, even at +6, isn't enough to OHKO some Pokemon.
  • Has a deep movepool, leading to some good coverage
  • Is often compared to Stoutland, although Kangaskhan has a higher speed, a better movepool, and more bulky.
  • Because Kangaskhan is a notable Belly Drum abuser, it may be hard to pull off a Belly Drum.
[SET]
name: Belly Drum Sweeper
move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: Extreme Speed
move 3: Drain Punch
move 4: Earthquake/Substitute
item: Sitrus Berry
ability: Scrappy
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Belly Drum is used as the move that gives Kangaskhan it's ability to sweep. By dealing only 25% (thanks to the Sitrus Berry), it is an effective way to quickly boost Kangaskhan's stats.
  • Extreme Speed is Kangaskhan's STAB move, because it combines a decent BP with a +2 priority, which outspeeds pretty much every move.
  • Drain Punch is used because it kills almost every Pokemon that resists Extreme Speed, while also restoring Kangaskhan's HP.
  • Earthquake is a great move because it prevents Kangaskhan from being walled by King's Shield, as it is not affected by King's Shield. Substitute is another good move because it can guarantee that Kangaskhan can pull off a clean Belly Drum.
Set Details
========
  • The Adamant nature is there to increase Kangaskhan's attack, giving it even more power.
  • The EVs max Kangaskhan's Attack and Speed to help it sweep even more, while the HP EV is to give Kangaskhan an even HP, which will allow for Kangaskhan to restore 25% of it's health after it uses Belly Drum.
  • As stated above, the Sitrus Berry is used to lessen the damage that Belly Drum does on Kangaskhan.
Usage Tips
========
  • The trick in this set is to try to use Belly Drum on your first turn (unless if you have Fake Out, in which you should first use Fake Out, then Belly Drum). Reasonably, Belly Drum should be used once, because after Stealth Rock damage, Kangaskhan will be left really weak after two Belly Drums. You should set up if you believe that the opponent will not be able to status/OHKO you.
  • After Belly Drumming, an Extreme Speed will be able to OHKO most Pokemon that do not resist it.
  • If you come across a mon that resists Extreme Speed, and you suspect that it does not carry King's Shield, then you should use Drain Punch. However, if you suspect that the opponent has King's Shield, then use Earthquake.
Team Options
========
  • Another part that makes Kangaskhan a very powerful Pokemon is that it works with a variety of Pokemon. For example, Kangaskhan works well with Thunder Wave Thundurus because paralysis gives Kangaskhan a better chance to safely Belly Drum.
  • Other great partners include Landorus-T, Rotom-W, Garchomp, and Mega Scizor, because they can wear away top offensive threats, giving Kangaskhan an easier time to set up.
  • Finally, a hazard setter is almost essentially on a team with Kangaskhan, because with Stealth Rocks up, Kangaskhan is able OHKO some Pokemon that it previously couldn't.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Shell Smash Kangaskhan is also usable, giving it a pretty fast Return at +2 attack.
  • Kangaskhan also has a very colorful pool of coverage moves, such as Low Kick and the elemental punches, which could be used as a viable fourth move.
  • Due to its Normal typing, Kangaskhan recieves strong moves such as Milk Drink, Baton Pass, and Sweet Kiss.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Status** - If Kangaskhan gets burned, then the attack drop makes Kangaskhan virtually worthless.

**Powerful moves** that are able to OHKO Kangaskhan while it is vunerable when using Belly Drum.

**Bulky Pokemon** such as Aegislash or Landorus-Therian that can take an Extreme Speed without being OHKO'd, giving them time to OHKO Kangaskhan.

**King's Shield** - As it protects the opponent from Kangaskhan's moves, as well as lowers its attack if it uses Extreme Speed or Drain Punch. At +4, Kangaskhan will not be able to sweep as many threats.

Last edited:

Hey Illusio, I'm here to QC your analysis.

Overview
  • Don't mention Diggersby. It's out of the tier, so it's not really worth it. The reader may think "oh a Diggersby? why can't I use that instead?" The reason it matters more here than say in OU where they can compare to an Ubers Pokemon is because not all readers will immediately know that Diggersby is banned in STABmons.
  • Remove the "access to all Normal-type moves" because that it is the point of STABmons lol! Instead, say it has access to powerful priority moves in Extreme Speed and Fake Out that can't be blocked due to Scrappy.
  • The third bullet confuses me. When is not giving time to set up? I think this needs to be a bit clearer because I didn't quite understand it.
  • The final bullet is solid.
  • I'd like to see the Overview expanded a lot more. Kangaskhan is really important in STABmons and it needs to be highlighted. Mention ScrappySpeed, it's main asset, the competition it faces from Stoutland and why to you would use it over the other. Also, mentions of its bulk, Speed, and colorful movepool are all attributes that aren't mentioned that really should be because Kangaskhan is just that good. Finally, a mention somewhere about the prominence of offensive pressure making Kangaskhan a bit more difficult to set up than one would think, and it's relatively useless in the early match because you haen't set up so it's not super powerful.
Belly Drum Sweeper
  • Really not a fan of the slashes. Earthquake is alright on Kangaskhan, but it's definitely a fourth slot move. Low Kick is not good when Drain Punch accomplishes the same thing, but recovers health from the Belly Drum being used. The slashes should be Belly Drum | Extreme Speed | Drain Punch | Substitute / Earthquake. Fake Out is a Moves mention. Don't mention Sucker Punch at all, it's not good because Extreme Speed hits all of those targets and doesn't have a shaky form of priority.
  • No comment on EVs / Ability / Nature.
Set Comments
  • Moves:
    • Mention that Belly Drum is only reasonably going to be used one time, because after Stealth Rock and a Belly Drum, it's left at an incredibly low percentage. And it's not like Kangaskhan is going to be immune to attacks through this whole ordeal.
    • Fix the slashes and reword the rest of moves to reflect that. Put Substitute mentions, Drain Punch a higher mention, remove Low Kick and Sucker Punch, and that's pretty much it.
    • I'd also mention Lovely Kiss. That's typically my "go-to" fourth move because it creates set up opportunities. Cool move if you have teammates to take care of coverage for it.
  • Set Details:
    • I'd mention that Jolly is a viable nature to outspeed other Kangaskhan, but you do lose a noticeable amount of power. Jolly's just a cool nature in general if you really don't want to play with speed ties.
  • Usage Tips:
    • Needs a lot of work and expanding. Mention more specific scenarios. When do I set up? When should I not set up? Does Kangaskhan beat specific Pokemon that need weakening? Can Kangaskhan use Drain Punch versus some threats instead of Extreme Speed? Cover these and try and add as much helpful tips for the reader.
  • Team Options:
    • Again, this needs a lot of expansion. Landorus-T, Mega Scizor, Garchomp, Rotom-W, Fire-types, and a lot of other Pokemon are great partners for Kangasakhan. Mega Sableye is a poor partner, but Sableye is an alright partner. Thundurus is good to spread Thunder Wave and let Kangaskhan have more opportunities to set up. Entry hazards, other powerful attackers, etc.
Strategy Comments
  • Other Options:
    • I've never seen Chip Away used. Ever. Or of FEAR Kangaskhan, which sounds incredibly gimmicky. Put Low Kick, Elemental Punches, Recover, Baton Pass, and a few others that are viable here. Right now, it's very gimmicky.
  • Checks & Counters:
    • You need to be specific. Please expand this section. Landorus-T isn't even there. :<

Tag me once you've implemented my check and I'll stamp this.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For future reference, add spaces between the move slashes in the set. Also, you'll have to remove the bullet points in Checks and Counters. You could wait until GP, but I doubt they appreciate having to correct these small things as well since the analysis standards are already given to you.

Is it Low Sweep or Low Kick? You have Low Sweep n your analysis but unfixable is saying Low Kick.

Reactions: EV
For future reference, add spaces between the move slashes in the set. Also, you'll have to remove the bullet points in Checks and Counters. You could wait until GP, but I doubt they appreciate having to correct these small things as well since the analysis standards are already given to you.

Is it Low Sweep or Low Kick? You have Low Sweep n your analysis but unfixable is saying Low Kick.
Illusio says Sweep, I say Kick. Sweep lowers Speed, while Kick is based off of their weight. Should be Kick.

EV

Banned deucer.
Overview
  • Remind us its a notable FakeSpeeder as well
  • Give me a good/bad/good sandwich and end on a high note. "While its notoriety as a Belly Drum sweeper may make it highly predictable, it's still a huge threat that can sweep entire teams if given the chance and must be considered when making your team."
Set - Belly Drum Sweeper
  • I do not like Earthquake listed. Here's why: Normal/Fighting has perfect coverage. Running EQ doesn't give it any notable KOs that it can't get already with Espeed/Drain Punch. Using it to evade King's Shield can be done much smarter.
  • Substitute is one of the best options for slot #4. Keep it.
  • Slash Protect. It blocks Fake Out, which is what most people rely on in part to check Kangaskhan.
  • Slash Lovely Kiss. It evades King's Shield and incapacitates a counter, like Quagsire.
  • Moves
    • "Dealing only 25%" is deceptive to the reader. Dealing 25% to whom? Clarify. How many boosts does it grant?
    • Mention how Fighting+Normal is perfect coverage with Scrappy.
    • Move EQ to OO.
    • Add Fake Out so it can still function as a FakeSpeeder if needed.
  • Set Details
    • Talk about Scrappy.
  • Usage Tips
    • First turn setup? I don't recommend that at all. Most teams have enough answers for Kanga to not get swept right away. You need to set up after they are gone.
    • Change EQ to something else when talking about evading KS. You can Belly Drum again to waste their KS turn, re-use Fake Out (it fails, makes no contact), or put them to sleep if you have Lovely Kiss.
    • Mention that if you carry Protect use it if you suspect a revenge kill attempt from other Normal-types.
  • Team Options
    • What are Lando-T, Rotom-H, Garchomp, and Mega Scizor doing specifically??
    • What hazard setters?? I need names.
    • Add a trapper to remove Skarmory, Quagsire, and co.
Strategy Comments
  • OO
    • Add EQ here.
    • Remove Sweet Kiss. 75% chance to confuse is an unviable option.
    • You can bluff Scrappy with Inner Focus which stops revenge tactics letting you KO the opposing FakeSpeeder as they hit with a weak Fake Out.
  • Cs & Cs
    • If you listed Status, why do you only mention burn? What about the others? If they aren't as bad, change this category.
    • I don't know if "Powerful Moves" is an appropriate category. Gengar, Latios, and Aerodactyl can KO it as it Belly Drums if it tries to. Terrakion can live +6 Espeed iirc and KO. Is there a category you can make for them?
    • Aegislash dies to Drain Punch. It shouldn't be listed. Skarmory can phaze or Toxic or Metal Burst with Sturdy.
    • Who are notable King's Shield users?
    • What about Unaware?
Incorporate these and QC 2 of 3. Tag with questions if any.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)