[STABmons] Gengar

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head

[OVERVIEW]

Gengar is a unique Pokemon in the STABmons metagame. Its Ghost / Poison typing and its ability, Levitate, provide it with resistances to three common types in Bug, Fairy, and Grass and immunities to three other types in Fighting, Normal, and Ground, making it a good switch-in to notable threats like Landorus-T and Excadrill. Its typing also allows it to have good neutral coverage with its STAB moves alone and perform as a switch-in to most Fake Out + Extreme Speed users; however, the prevalence of Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Mega Lopunny and Stoutland makes it more difficult for Gengar to stay on the field for long periods of time. Sadly, Gengar has terrible 60 / 60 / 75 bulk, meaning that it will get KOed from almost any neutral hit. Not only that, it is extremely predictable, as it will always either attack or use its utility move. Gengar's Speed tier isn't the most impressive in a metagame where priority and Choice Scarf users are common; however, base 110 Speed lets Gengar outspeed non-Choice Scarf Keldeo and Landorus-T, as well as unboosted Kyurem-B, and Speed tie with Latios and Latias. Additionally, Gengar has the ability to run a coverage move such as Focus Blast to take care of a plethora of Pokemon that resist its STAB moves. It can also run a utility move, giving it some variety depending on what its team needs. Overall, Gengar faces little to no competition thanks to the lack of any other offensive Ghost-types in the STABmons metagame.

[SET]
name: Life Orb Attacker
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Sludge Wave
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Taunt / Will-O-Wisp
item: Life Orb
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
ivs: 29 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball provides Gengar with good neutral coverage and gives it the ability to KO Mega Slowbro, Celebi, Espeon, and opposing Gengar. Sludge Wave, when used in tandem with Shadow Ball, gives Gengar solid neutral coverage and lets it KO opposing Fairy- and Grass-types such as Clefable and Serperior. Focus Blast lets Gengar hit Steel-, Dark-, Ice-, Rock-, and Normal-types such as Heatran, Bisharp, Weavile, Terrakion, and Porygon-Z super effectively, and it also covers the Pokemon that resist both Sludge Wave and Shadow Ball, such as Bisharp. Taunt prevents setup sweepers and entry hazard setters from doing their jobs successfully, whereas Will-O-Wisp lets Gengar cripple physical attackers.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed EVs, along with a Timid nature, let Gengar hit as hard and move as fast as possible. Life Orb makes up for the lack of a Modest nature and further boosts Gengar's damage output. Levitate lets Gengar switch into Ground-type Pokemon, except for Excadrill. 29 HP IVs minimize Life Orb recoil.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Gengar in on Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Porygon-Z, Porygon2, and Ursaring. However, try to avoid Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Mega Lopunny and Stoutland, though, as they easily KO Gengar with those moves. Use Shadow Ball on the predicted switch in from Latios, Latias, and opposing Gengar. Avoid Choice Scarf users such as Terrakion and Hoopa-U, as they can easily KO Gengar with their STAB moves. Try to bring Gengar in on a safe switch because of how frail it is. Use Taunt to cripple defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and to prevent Pokemon such as Ferrothorn from setting up entry hazards. Use Will-O-Wisp on the predicted switches in from Choice Scarf Terrakion and Landorus-T, as well as from faster physical attackers such as Mega Lopunny, or just to cripple unboosted Kyurem-B and non-Choice Scarf Terrakion and Landorus-T. Spreading burns is also very helpful if you don't know what move to attack with on Gengar. If the opponent has a Pursuit trapper, don't leave Gengar on the field for too long until it has been taken care of, or else Gengar has to continuously pivot out to avoid it.

Team Options
========

Physical walls such as Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Heatran are able to switch into Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Mega Lopunny and Stoutland, and Gengar can switch into non-Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed in return. Entry hazard clearers such as Landorus-T, Excadrill, Latias, and Starmie help Gengar stay on the field longer. Conversely, entry hazard setters such as Klefki, Garchomp, and Ferrothorn give Gengar an easier time with KOing foes. Dark- and Bug-types such as Hoopa-U, Tyranitar, Weavile, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Scizor help Gengar take care of Psychic-types such as Latios, Latias, and Hoopa-U, as well as opposing Gengar. Fighting- and Fairy-types such as Terrakion and Mega Diancie take care of Dark-types such as Hoopa-U, Tyranitar, and Weavile; Terrakion can also be used to take care of non-Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Porygon-Z and Porygon2. Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Porygon-Z, Porygon2, Mega Lopunny, and Stoutland take care of Choice Scarf users such as Hoopa-U; Mega Lopunny also takes care of Mega Sableye with its Scrappy Fighting-type STAB moves. U-turn, Volt Switch, and Parting Shot users such as Mega Scizor, Magnezone, and Sableye help get Gengar in safely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Choice Scarf can be used over Life Orb to outpeed Latios, Latias, opposing Gengar, and slower Choice Scarf users such as Terrakion, but it causes Gengar's damage output to decrease by a significant amount, resulting in fewer KOs overall. Substitute can be used over Taunt to allow Gengar to live longer and to hit more Pokemon safely and to deal with Pursuit trappers more easily, but it causes Gengar's HP to go down crazily fast combined with Life Orb. Destiny Bond can also be used in the fourth moveslot to help Gengar deal with the Pokemon it has a hard time KOing otherwise. Pain Split can be used over Taunt to allow Gengar to live longer, but the health regained is sometimes too little to be significant, and Life Orb makes it hard for Gengar to live longer with Pain Split. Toxic Spikes can be used to support Gengar and its teammates by crippling bulky Pokemon to KO them more easily. Icy Wind deals some damage to weakened foes, gives Gengar a way to handle Landorus-T, and cripples faster Pokemon to let Gengar outspeed them the following turns. Disable can be used to cripple all-out attackers and bulky walls. A Hex set with moves such as Will-O-Wisp to make Hex stronger, either Sludge Wave or Sludge Bomb to poison the foes that are immune to Will-O-Wisp, and Focus Blast to take care of Pokemon that resist or are immune to either attacking move such as Bisharp can be used to form a stallbreaker set. With the Hex set, use either Black Sludge to regain HP to live longer or Spell Tag for an even stronger Hex, and an EV spread of 144 HP / 108 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe to increase Gengar's bulk significantly, which can be crucial for the set to perform well.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Priority**: Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed Mega Lopunny and Stoutland, Water Shuriken Gyarados and Azumarill, Sucker Punch Tyranitar, Weavile, Hoopa-U, and Gale Wings Talonflame all easily KO Gengar without it getting a chance to damage them due to its mediocre bulk; however, all of them, bar Talonflame, must be wary of Will-O-Wisp to avoid being crippled.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Choice Scarf Hoopa-U, and Weavile all easily KO Gengar with their Dark-type STAB moves. Hoopa-U and Weavile also function as Pursuit trappers and easily trap and KO Gengar due to its frailty. However, all of them are crippled by Will-O-Wisp.

**Faster Offensive Pokemon**: Faster offensive Pokemon such as Thundurus, Choice Scarf Hoopa-U, and Choice Scarf Terrakion all threaten Gengar with their strong STAB and coverage moves.

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Mega Sableye, Mandibuzz, and Assault Vest Meloetta easily switch in on Gengar's moves and take care of it with their coverage. Meloetta is also immune to Gengar's Ghost-type STAB moves and takes little damage from its other moves.

Last edited:
Overview:
Mention how it has tears apart bulkier teams and has virtually no switchins in the overview.
60/60/75 is trash, not mediocre.
Add how levitate allows it to switch in on things like lando-t with correct predictions

Set:
Please deslash icy wind imo, taunt is just such a better option vs chansey and the like.
Sludge Bomb>>>Sludge Wave imo unless it gets a certain ko, the poison chance is just so much better than 5 power and afaik bulletproof isn't really relevant.

Set Details:
I don't think you need to mention levitate here but I could be wrong.

Usage tips:
These are clunky, at least I think so, I'll let a qc member weigh in on this though

Team options:
Slow u-turn/volt switch/bp/parting shot is great to get gengar in safely

OO:
Mention sub+pain split, really underrated set imo
Add how choice scarf allows Gengar to be incredible vs offense at the cost of being mediocre vs bulky teams.
Why would you run an offensive stallbreaker set?
Knock off allows it to neuter chansey and other item-relient mons
Add Specs with trick to cripple walls
Dark Pulse to hit meloetta super hard

C and C:
I don't care if it isn't too great, Blissey is possibly the best gengar counter in the game in terms of defensive mons since it can run ice beam/fire blast/offensive move and 2hko can and shrugg off focus blasts.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
60/60/75 is trash, not mediocre.
Yes, I know. I'm using "mediocre" because these analyses are professional and don't use slang.
Moves:
Please deslash icy wind imo, taunt is just such a better option vs chansey and the like.
They both have their own uses and are equally viable.
Sludge Bomb>>>Sludge Wave imo unless it gets a certain ko, the poison chance is just so much better than 5 power and afaik bulletproof isn't really relevant.
I won't replace Sludge Wave in the set because that 5 base power is important, but I will make a mention in moves.

Set Details:
I don't think you need to mention levitate here but I could be wrong.
It's required, as it's its only ability.

Usage tips:
These are clunky, at least I think so, I'll let a qc member weigh in on this though
If they're clunky, QC will fix it, and I will in my write-up.

OO:
Why would you run an offensive stallbreaker set?
I was told by some QC members to make this a strong mention in OO

C and C:
I don't care if it isn't too great, Blissey is possibly the best gengar counter in the game in terms of defensive mons since it can run ice beam/fire blast/offensive move and 2hko can and shrugg off focus blasts.
I'm going to wait for QC's input on this one. I don't really think it should be mentioned in a metagame where its pre-evolution outclasses it immensely.

Will implement the rest

overview:
  • i mean its speed tier isn't *bad* per say. it outspeeds unboosted kyurem-b, landorus-t (non-choice scarf), and keldeo and the likes, so it's really not that bad. it's not fantastic, but the way its phrased makes it seems like the speed is subpar, which is just not the case.
  • overall this seems a little bit barren. mention the specific attributes of gengar that make it usable. as mike mentioned, a levitate pokemon is always nice, and it places heavy offensive pressure on the opponent.
  • i'd also mention that in a metagame without many ghost-types, it really faces no competition as a powerful ghost-type to use. seriously, it's a little strange how it's the only viable ghost-type, so that's pretty cool i'd say.
life orb attacker:
  • i don't like icy wind. if anything, you should make the slash taunt / will-o-wisp. taunt rocks, and will-o-wisp takes on the main counters anyways, but if you reveal the lure too early, it essentially becomes useless. yeah, it's a cool option, but it's best suited for oo. move it there. icy wind is not really viable enough to be on the set, although it is viable (i like it). but yes, it does need to be moved to oo.
  • put will-o-wisp in moves if not slashed on the set, though i prefer a slash. but hey, i don't always get my way. so do that yes.
  • can you double check the 29 iv thing? i'm bad at checking for life orb (stealth rock / other entry hazards is easier). i tried and it seemed accurate, but double check for me please since i'm not the best with that x_x.
  • in usage tips, put when and where to use taunt. what do you use it against? what should you just straight up attack? and will-o-wisp too. kinda bare, and gengar isn't really as simple as you're playing it up to be. expand.
  • which 'momentum boosters' are you referring to in team options?
other options:
  • don't mention energy ball or psychic. bad moves. instead, mention thunderbolt, which threatens the common gyarados.
checks & counters:
  • i've never seen a water shuriken gyarados, i don't think it uses that. remove that.
  • it feels like you could combine pursuit trappers w/ dark-types. but gengar has far more checks than this. for example, faster offensive pokemon naturally (thundurus) take it on well. many steel-types, like mega scizor and things not weak to focus blast, can 1v1 gengar and should be mentioned.
worked over mike's check.

qc 1/3

dhelmise

banend doosre
Social Media Head
overview:
  • i mean its speed tier isn't *bad* per say. it outspeeds unboosted kyurem-b, landorus-t (non-choice scarf), and keldeo and the likes, so it's really not that bad. it's not fantastic, but the way its phrased makes it seems like the speed is subpar, which is just not the case.
  • overall this seems a little bit barren. mention the specific attributes of gengar that make it usable. as mike mentioned, a levitate pokemon is always nice, and it places heavy offensive pressure on the opponent.
  • i'd also mention that in a metagame without many ghost-types, it really faces no competition as a powerful ghost-type to use. seriously, it's a little strange how it's the only viable ghost-type, so that's pretty cool i'd say.
life orb attacker:
  • i don't like icy wind. if anything, you should make the slash taunt / will-o-wisp. taunt rocks, and will-o-wisp takes on the main counters anyways, but if you reveal the lure too early, it essentially becomes useless. yeah, it's a cool option, but it's best suited for oo. move it there. icy wind is not really viable enough to be on the set, although it is viable (i like it). but yes, it does need to be moved to oo.
  • put will-o-wisp in moves if not slashed on the set, though i prefer a slash. but hey, i don't always get my way. so do that yes.
  • can you double check the 29 iv thing? i'm bad at checking for life orb (stealth rock / other entry hazards is easier). i tried and it seemed accurate, but double check for me please since i'm not the best with that x_x.
  • in usage tips, put when and where to use taunt. what do you use it against? what should you just straight up attack? and will-o-wisp too. kinda bare, and gengar isn't really as simple as you're playing it up to be. expand.
  • which 'momentum boosters' are you referring to in team options?
other options:
  • don't mention energy ball or psychic. bad moves. instead, mention thunderbolt, which threatens the common gyarados.
checks & counters:
  • i've never seen a water shuriken gyarados, i don't think it uses that. remove that.
  • it feels like you could combine pursuit trappers w/ dark-types. but gengar has far more checks than this. for example, faster offensive pokemon naturally (thundurus) take it on well. many steel-types, like mega scizor and things not weak to focus blast, can 1v1 gengar and should be mentioned.
worked over mike's check.

qc 1/3
implemented

EV

Banned deucer.
Overview
  • "resistances to two common types in bug, fairy, and grass"
  • Of course it speed ties with other Gengar ... Why even mention it? Remove.
  • "good movepool gives it good coverage and and a wide range of status options" Rework this into -Solid coverage with STAB, -Can run coverage to patch up resistances (e.g. Focus Blast), -Last slot is often open for utility, giving it some variability depending on team needs
  • Overall tho it's pretty predictable: it's either going to attack or use Taunt/Wisp/Tspikes. No risk in it setting up.
  • "faces little to no competition in a metagame where there are no viable offensive ghost-types" But Gengar is a viable Ghost-type. Reword?
Set
  • Sludge Wave does not form "perfect neutral coverage" otherwise it wouldn't need Focus Blast. Tyranitar and Bisharp resist. "Solid neutral coverage" imo
  • Under usage tips, I recommend not keeping Gengar in if the opponent still has a potential Pursuit trapper in the wings. It basically has to force stuff out and then pivot to avoid getting Pursuit trapped. This is where Substitute comes in handy.
  • I think spreading burns early is good advice if you're not sure how to attack.
  • You mention that it can switch into non-Scrappy FakeSpeed under usage, so mention that again under team options when you list walls to tank FakeSpeed.

Other Options
  • Why is Wisp listed here?
  • There's far too much that just isn't even remotely viable.
  • Namely you should just be listing Toxic Spikes, Hex, Destiny Bond, and Substitute/Disable.

Checks & Counters
  • Priority users switching in must be wary of Wisp! Bar Talonflame.
  • Same goes for the Pursuit trappers.
  • Ferrothorn is weak to Focus Blast. And no Skarmory doesn't beat it if Gengar has Taunt and/or Wisp, which most will have one or the other. I don't think "Steel-Types not weak to Focus Blast" is a relevant category.

Implement and I'll stamp.

dhelmise

banend doosre
Social Media Head
Overview
  • "resistances to two common types in bug, fairy, and grass"
  • Of course it speed ties with other Gengar ... Why even mention it? Remove.
  • "good movepool gives it good coverage and and a wide range of status options" Rework this into -Solid coverage with STAB, -Can run coverage to patch up resistances (e.g. Focus Blast), -Last slot is often open for utility, giving it some variability depending on team needs
  • Overall tho it's pretty predictable: it's either going to attack or use Taunt/Wisp/Tspikes. No risk in it setting up.
  • "faces little to no competition in a metagame where there are no viable offensive ghost-types" But Gengar is a viable Ghost-type. Reword?
Set
  • Sludge Wave does not form "perfect neutral coverage" otherwise it wouldn't need Focus Blast. Tyranitar and Bisharp resist. "Solid neutral coverage" imo
  • Under usage tips, I recommend not keeping Gengar in if the opponent still has a potential Pursuit trapper in the wings. It basically has to force stuff out and then pivot to avoid getting Pursuit trapped. This is where Substitute comes in handy.
  • I think spreading burns early is good advice if you're not sure how to attack.
  • You mention that it can switch into non-Scrappy FakeSpeed under usage, so mention that again under team options when you list walls to tank FakeSpeed.

Other Options
  • Why is Wisp listed here?
  • There's far too much that just isn't even remotely viable.
  • Namely you should just be listing Toxic Spikes, Hex, Destiny Bond, and Substitute/Disable.

Checks & Counters
  • Priority users switching in must be wary of Wisp! Bar Talonflame.
  • Same goes for the Pursuit trappers.
  • Ferrothorn is weak to Focus Blast. And no Skarmory doesn't beat it if Gengar has Taunt and/or Wisp, which most will have one or the other. I don't think "Steel-Types not weak to Focus Blast" is a relevant category.

Implement and I'll stamp.
did

I kept Will-O-Wisp in because it's being listed as an alternative set instead of an actual move

I thought OO was a place to list other options that can be used or to explain to newer users on why not to use a move on a certain Pokemon. Please clarify and I'll make changes regarding that

EV

Banned deucer.
You have Keldeo listed twice in the second bullet.

OO should be for moves/sets you didn't cover up above. You've already covered Will-O-Wisp. Stating "will-o-wisp can be used to cripple physical attackers" is not new information and it shouldn't be in OO.

dhelmise

banend doosre
Social Media Head
You have Keldeo listed twice in the second bullet.

OO should be for moves/sets you didn't cover up above. You've already covered Will-O-Wisp. Stating "will-o-wisp can be used to cripple physical attackers" is not new information and it shouldn't be in OO.
did

oh btw i've been using a hex set a bit more, it's actually not half bad. when you're writing, could you make the sentence enthusiastic? and the set is wisp / hex / sludge bomb (better psn chance = ++ for hex) / fblast and spell tag. black sludge means you're weak as heck, so i don't like it. also, you really can't give up fblast at all and this breaks things already so ya don't really need taunt. 2c

dhelmise

banend doosre
Social Media Head
oh btw i've been using a hex set a bit more, it's actually not half bad. when you're writing, could you make the sentence enthusiastic? and the set is wisp / hex / sludge bomb (better psn chance = ++ for hex) / fblast and spell tag. black sludge means you're weak as heck, so i don't like it. also, you really can't give up fblast at all and this breaks things already so ya don't really need taunt. 2c
ok did this, ty :)

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sadly, Gengar has terrible 60 / 60 / 75 bulk, meaning that it will get KOed from almost any neutral hit. - this sentence appears 2x in the overview.

Otherwise its a great analysis Great job!

QC 3/3

E: Oh i got sniped by bacon D:

add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Gengar is a unique Pokemon in the STABmons metagame. Its Ghost / Poison typing, (RC) and its ability, Levitate, provide it with resistances to three common types in Bug, Fairy, and Grass and an immunity to three other types in Fighting, Normal, and Ground. Its typing also allows it to have good neutral coverage with its STAB moves alone and perform as a switch-in to most Fake Out + Extreme Speed users; however, the prevalence of Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Mega Lopunny and Stoutland makes it more difficult for Gengar to stay on the field for long periods of time. Sadly, Gengar has terrible 60 / 60 / 75 bulk, meaning that it will get (OH? It might make sense here, not sure)KOed from almost any neutral hit. Not only that, it is extremely predictable, as it will always either attack or use its utility move. Luckily, however, Levitate makes Gengar a good switch-in to Ground-types like Landorus-T and Excadrill. Gengar's Speed tier isn't the most impressive in a metagame where priority and Choice Scarf users are common; however, base 110 Speed lets Gengar outspeed non-Choice Scarf Keldeo and Landorus-T, as well as unboosted Kyurem-B, and Speed tie with Latios and Latias. Luckily, Gengar has the ability to run a coverage move such as Focus Blast to take care of a plethora of Pokemon that resist its STAB moves. It can also run a utility move, giving it some variety depending on what its team needs. Overall, Gengar faces little to no competition thanks to the lack of any other offensive Ghost-types in the STABmons metagame.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball provides Gengar with good neutral coverage and gives it the ability to KO Mega Slowbro, Celebi, Espeon, and opposing Gengar. Sludge Wave, when used in tandem with Shadow Ball, gives Gengar solid neutral coverage and lets it KO opposing Fairy- and Grass-types such as Clefable and Serperior. Focus Blast lets Gengar hit Steel-, Dark-, Ice-, Rock-, and Normal-types such as Heatran, Bisharp, Weavile, Terrakion, and Porygon-Z super effectively, and it also lets Gengar hit the Pokemon that resist both Sludge Wave and Shadow Ball, such as Bisharp. Taunt prevents setup sweepers and entry hazard setters from doing their jobs successfully, whereas Will-O-Wisp lets Gengar cripple physical attackers.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed EVs, along with a Timid nature, let Gengar hit as hard and move as fast as possible. Life Orb makes up for the lack of a Modest nature and lets Gengar maximize the use of its Special Attack. Levitate lets Gengar switch into Ground-type Pokemon, except for Excadrill. 29 HP IVs let Gengar get more uses out of Life Orb.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Gengar in on Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Porygon-Z, Porygon2, and Ursaring. Try to avoid Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Mega Lopunny and Stoutland, (AC) though, as they easily KO Gengar with those moves. Use Shadow Ball on the predicted switch in from Latios, Latias, and opposing Gengar. Avoid Choice Scarf users such as Terrakion and Hoopa-U, as they can easily KO Gengar with their STAB moves. Try to bring Gengar in on a safe switch because of how frail it is. Use Taunt to cripple defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and to prevent entry hazard setters such as Ferrothorn from setting up hazards. Use Will-O-Wisp on the predicted switch ins against Choice Scarf Terrakion and Landorus-T, as well as faster physical attackers such as Mega Lopunny, or just to cripple unboosted Kyurem-B and non-Choice Scarf Terrakion and Landorus-T. Spreading burns is also very helpful if you don't know what move to attack with on Gengar. If the opponent has a Pursuit trapper, don't leave Gengar on the field for too long if the opponent has a Pursuit trapper until it's until it has been taken care of, or else Gengar it has to force Pokemon out and has to continuously pivot out to avoid it the Pursuit trapper; this is where Substitute can come in handy. (should me a bit more clear this way)

Team Options
========

Physical walls such as Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Heatran are able to switch into Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Mega Lopunny and Stoutland, and Gengar can switch into non-Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed in return. Entry hazard clearers such as Landorus-T, Excadrill, Latias, and Starmie help Gengar stay on the field longer. Entry hazard setters such as Klefki, Garchomp, and Ferrothorn give Gengar an easier time with KOing foes. Dark- and Bug-types such as Hoopa-U, Tyranitar, Weavile, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Scizor help Gengar take care of Psychic-types such as Latios, Latias, and opposing Hoopa-U, as well as opposing Gengar. Fighting- and Fairy-types such as Terrakion and Mega Diancie take care of Dark-types such as Hoopa-U, Tyranitar, and Weavile; Terrakion can also be used to take care of non-Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Porygon-Z and Porygon2. Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Porygon-Z, Porygon2, Mega Lopunny, and Stoutland take care of Choice Scarf users such as Hoopa-U; Mega Lopunny also takes care of Mega Sableye with its Scrappy Fighting-type STAB moves. U-turn, Volt Switch, and Parting Shot users such as Mega Scizor, Magnezone, and Sableyehelp get Gengar in safely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Choice Scarf can be used over Life Orb to outpeed Latios, Latias, opposing Gengar, and slower Choice Scarf users such as Terrakion, but it causes Gengar's damage output to decrease by a significant amount, resulting in less KOs overall. Substitute can be used over Taunt to allow Gengar to live longer and to hit more Pokemon safely, but it, combined with Life Orb, causes Gengar's HP to go down crazily fast combined with Life Orb. Destiny Bond can also be used in the fourth moveslot to help Gengar deal with the Pokemon it has a hard time KOing otherwise (such as?). Pain Split can be used over Taunt to allow Gengar to live longer, but the health regained is sometimes too little to be significant, and Life Orb makes it hard for Gengar to live longer with Pain Split (This might be me not understanding, but shouldn't it be the other way around? If Gengar keeps losing health due to Life Orb technically Pain Split will recover more health later, assuming of course Gengar doesn't get hit by anything for some reason). Toxic Spikes can be used to support Gengar and its teammates by crippling bulky Pokemon to KO them more easily. Icy Wind deals some damage to weakened foes, gives Gengar a way to handle Landorus-T, and cripples faster Pokemon to let Gengar outspeed them the following turns Pokemon it normally wouldn't. Disable can be used to cripple offensive attackers and bulky walls. A Hex set with moves such as Will-O-Wisp to make Hex stronger, either Sludge Wave or Sludge Bomb to poison the foes that are immune to Will-O-Wisp, and Focus Blast to take care of Pokemon that resist or are immune to either attacking move such as Bisharp can be used to form a stallbreaker set. With the Hex set, use either Black Sludge to regain HP to live longer or Spell Tag for an even stronger Hex, and an EV spread of 144 HP / 108 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe to increase Gengar's bulk significantly, which can be crucial for the set to perform well.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Priority**: Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed Mega Lopunny and Stoutland, Water Shuriken Gyarados and Azumarill, Sucker Punch Tyranitar, Weavile, Hoopa-U, and Gale Wings Talonflame all easily KO Gengar without it getting a chance to damage them due to its mediocre bulk; however, all of them bar Talonflame, (RC) must be wary of Will-O-Wisp to avoid being crippled.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Choice Scarf Hoopa-U, and Weavile all easily KO Gengar with their Dark-type STAB moves. Hoopa-U and Weavile also function as Pursuit trappers and easily trap and KO Gengar due to its frailty. However, all of them are crippled by Will-O-Wisp.

**Faster Offensive Pokemon**: Faster offensive Pokemon such as Thundurus, Choice Scarf Hoopa-U, and Choice Scarf Terrakion all threaten Gengar with their strong STAB and coverage moves.

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Mega Sableye, Mandibuzz, and Assault Vest Meloetta easily switch in on Gengar's moves and take care of it with their coverage. Meloetta is also immune to Gengar's Ghost-type STAB and takes little damage from its other moves.

1/2

Last edited:

dhelmise

banend doosre
Social Media Head
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Gengar is a unique Pokemon in the STABmons metagame. Its Ghost / Poison typing, (RC) and its ability, Levitate, provide it with resistances to three common types in Bug, Fairy, and Grass and an immunity to three other types in Fighting, Normal, and Ground. Its typing also allows it to have good neutral coverage with its STAB moves alone and perform as a switch-in to most Fake Out + Extreme Speed users; however, the prevalence of Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Mega Lopunny and Stoutland makes it more difficult for Gengar to stay on the field for long periods of time. Sadly, Gengar has terrible 60 / 60 / 75 bulk, meaning that it will get (OH? It might make sense here, not sure)KOed from almost any neutral hit. Not only that, it is extremely predictable, as it will always either attack or use its utility move. Luckily, however, Levitate makes Gengar a good switch-in to Ground-types like Landorus-T and Excadrill. Gengar's Speed tier isn't the most impressive in a metagame where priority and Choice Scarf users are common; however, base 110 Speed lets Gengar outspeed non-Choice Scarf Keldeo and Landorus-T, as well as unboosted Kyurem-B, and Speed tie with Latios and Latias. Luckily, Gengar has the ability to run a coverage move such as Focus Blast to take care of a plethora of Pokemon that resist its STAB moves. It can also run a utility move, giving it some variety depending on what its team needs. Overall, Gengar faces little to no competition thanks to the lack of any other offensive Ghost-types in the STABmons metagame.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball provides Gengar with good neutral coverage and gives it the ability to KO Mega Slowbro, Celebi, Espeon, and opposing Gengar. Sludge Wave, when used in tandem with Shadow Ball, gives Gengar solid neutral coverage and lets it KO opposing Fairy- and Grass-types such as Clefable and Serperior. Focus Blast lets Gengar hit Steel-, Dark-, Ice-, Rock-, and Normal-types such as Heatran, Bisharp, Weavile, Terrakion, and Porygon-Z super effectively, and it also lets Gengar hit the Pokemon that resist both Sludge Wave and Shadow Ball, such as Bisharp. Taunt prevents setup sweepers and entry hazard setters from doing their jobs successfully, whereas Will-O-Wisp lets Gengar cripple physical attackers.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed EVs, along with a Timid nature, let Gengar hit as hard and move as fast as possible. Life Orb makes up for the lack of a Modest nature and lets Gengar maximize the use of its Special Attack. Levitate lets Gengar switch into Ground-type Pokemon, except for Excadrill. 29 HP IVs let Gengar get more uses out of Life Orb.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Gengar in on Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Porygon-Z, Porygon2, and Ursaring. Try to avoid Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Mega Lopunny and Stoutland, (AC) though, as they easily KO Gengar with those moves. Use Shadow Ball on the predicted switch in from Latios, Latias, and opposing Gengar. Avoid Choice Scarf users such as Terrakion and Hoopa-U, as they can easily KO Gengar with their STAB moves. Try to bring Gengar in on a safe switch because of how frail it is. Use Taunt to cripple defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and to prevent entry hazard setters such as Ferrothorn from setting up hazards. Use Will-O-Wisp on the predicted switch ins against Choice Scarf Terrakion and Landorus-T, as well as faster physical attackers such as Mega Lopunny, or just to cripple unboosted Kyurem-B and non-Choice Scarf Terrakion and Landorus-T. Spreading burns is also very helpful if you don't know what move to attack with on Gengar. If the opponent has a Pursuit trapper, don't leave Gengar on the field for too long if the opponent has a Pursuit trapper until it's until it has been taken care of, or else Gengar it has to force Pokemon out and has to continuously pivot out to avoid it the Pursuit trapper; this is where Substitute can come in handy. (should me a bit more clear this way)

Team Options
========

Physical walls such as Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Heatran are able to switch into Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Mega Lopunny and Stoutland, and Gengar can switch into non-Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed in return. Entry hazard clearers such as Landorus-T, Excadrill, Latias, and Starmie help Gengar stay on the field longer. Entry hazard setters such as Klefki, Garchomp, and Ferrothorn give Gengar an easier time with KOing foes. Dark- and Bug-types such as Hoopa-U, Tyranitar, Weavile, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Scizor help Gengar take care of Psychic-types such as Latios, Latias, and opposing Hoopa-U, as well as opposing Gengar. Fighting- and Fairy-types such as Terrakion and Mega Diancie take care of Dark-types such as Hoopa-U, Tyranitar, and Weavile; Terrakion can also be used to take care of non-Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Porygon-Z and Porygon2. Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Porygon-Z, Porygon2, Mega Lopunny, and Stoutland take care of Choice Scarf users such as Hoopa-U; Mega Lopunny also takes care of Mega Sableye with its Scrappy Fighting-type STAB moves. U-turn, Volt Switch, and Parting Shot users such as Mega Scizor, Magnezone, and Sableyehelp get Gengar in safely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Choice Scarf can be used over Life Orb to outpeed Latios, Latias, opposing Gengar, and slower Choice Scarf users such as Terrakion, but it causes Gengar's damage output to decrease by a significant amount, resulting in less KOs overall. Substitute can be used over Taunt to allow Gengar to live longer and to hit more Pokemon safely, but it, combined with Life Orb, causes Gengar's HP to go down crazily fast combined with Life Orb. Destiny Bond can also be used in the fourth moveslot to help Gengar deal with the Pokemon it has a hard time KOing otherwise (such as?). Pain Split can be used over Taunt to allow Gengar to live longer, but the health regained is sometimes too little to be significant, and Life Orb makes it hard for Gengar to live longer with Pain Split (This might be me not understanding, but shouldn't it be the other way around? If Gengar keeps losing health due to Life Orb technically Pain Split will recover more health later, assuming of course Gengar doesn't get hit by anything for some reason). Toxic Spikes can be used to support Gengar and its teammates by crippling bulky Pokemon to KO them more easily. Icy Wind deals some damage to weakened foes, gives Gengar a way to handle Landorus-T, and cripples faster Pokemon to let Gengar outspeed them the following turns Pokemon it normally wouldn't. Disable can be used to cripple offensive attackers and bulky walls. A Hex set with moves such as Will-O-Wisp to make Hex stronger, either Sludge Wave or Sludge Bomb to poison the foes that are immune to Will-O-Wisp, and Focus Blast to take care of Pokemon that resist or are immune to either attacking move such as Bisharp can be used to form a stallbreaker set. With the Hex set, use either Black Sludge to regain HP to live longer or Spell Tag for an even stronger Hex, and an EV spread of 144 HP / 108 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe to increase Gengar's bulk significantly, which can be crucial for the set to perform well.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Priority**: Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed Mega Lopunny and Stoutland, Water Shuriken Gyarados and Azumarill, Sucker Punch Tyranitar, Weavile, Hoopa-U, and Gale Wings Talonflame all easily KO Gengar without it getting a chance to damage them due to its mediocre bulk; however, all of them bar Talonflame, (RC) must be wary of Will-O-Wisp to avoid being crippled.

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Mega Sableye, Mandibuzz, and Assault Vest Meloetta easily switch in on Gengar's moves and take care of it with their coverage. Meloetta is also immune to Gengar's Ghost-type STAB and takes little damage from its other moves.

1/2
implemented, ty!

ready for 2/2

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Gengar is a unique Pokemon in the STABmons metagame. Its Ghost / Poison typing and its ability, Levitate, provide it with resistances to three common types in Bug, Fairy, and Grass and an immunity immunities to three other types in Fighting, Normal, and Ground, making it a good switch-in to notable threats like Landorus-T and Excadrill. (makes more sense here than having it detached like it's now) Its typing also allows it to have good neutral coverage with its STAB moves alone and perform as a switch-in to most Fake Out + Extreme Speed users; however, the prevalence of Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Mega Lopunny and Stoutland makes it more difficult for Gengar to stay on the field for long periods of time. Sadly, Gengar has terrible 60 / 60 / 75 bulk, meaning that it will get KOed from almost any neutral hit. Not only that, it is extremely predictable, as it will always either attack or use its utility move. Luckily, however, Levitate makes Gengar a good switch-in to Ground-types like Landorus-T and Excadrill. (seems a bit random here) Gengar's Speed tier isn't the most impressive in a metagame where priority and Choice Scarf users are common; however, base 110 Speed lets Gengar outspeed non-Choice Scarf Keldeo and Landorus-T, as well as unboosted Kyurem-B, and Speed tie with Latios and Latias. Luckily Additionally, Gengar has the ability to run a coverage move such as Focus Blast to take care of a plethora of Pokemon that resist its STAB moves. It can also run a utility move, giving it some variety depending on what its team needs. Overall, Gengar faces little to no competition thanks to the lack of any other offensive Ghost-types in the STABmons metagame.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball provides Gengar with good neutral coverage and gives it the ability to KO Mega Slowbro, Celebi, Espeon, and opposing Gengar. Sludge Wave, when used in tandem with Shadow Ball, gives Gengar solid neutral coverage and lets it KO opposing Fairy- and Grass-types such as Clefable and Serperior. Focus Blast lets Gengar hit Steel-, Dark-, Ice-, Rock-, and Normal-types such as Heatran, Bisharp, (mentioned later too so pick something else please) Weavile, Terrakion, and Porygon-Z super effectively, and it also lets covers Gengar hit (repetition) the Pokemon that resist both Sludge Wave and Shadow Ball, such as Bisharp. Taunt prevents setup sweepers and entry hazard setters from doing their jobs successfully, whereas Will-O-Wisp lets Gengar cripple physical attackers.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed EVs, along with a Timid nature, let Gengar hit as hard and move as fast as possible. Life Orb makes up for the lack of a Modest nature and lets further boosts maximize the use of its Special Attack Gengar's damage output. (awkward + "maximize" just isn't true cause Specs exists_ Levitate lets Gengar switch into Ground-type Pokemon, except for Excadrill. 29 HP IVs let Gengar get more uses out of Life Orb minimize Life Orb recoil.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Gengar in on Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Porygon-Z, Porygon2, and Ursaring. However, (AC) try to avoid Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Mega Lopunny and Stoutland, though, as they easily KO Gengar with those moves. Use Shadow Ball on the predicted switch in from Latios, Latias, and opposing Gengar. Avoid Choice Scarf users such as Terrakion and Hoopa-U, as they can easily KO Gengar with their STAB moves. Try to bring Gengar in on a safe switch because of how frail it is. Use Taunt to cripple defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and to prevent entry hazard setters Pokemon such as Ferrothorn from setting up entry hazards. (less repetitive) Use Will-O-Wisp on the predicted switches ins against from Choice Scarf Terrakion and Landorus-T, as well as from faster physical attackers such as Mega Lopunny, or just to cripple unboosted Kyurem-B and non-Choice Scarf Terrakion and Landorus-T. Spreading burns is also very helpful if you don't know what move to attack with on Gengar. If the opponent has a Pursuit trapper, don't leave Gengar on the field for too long until it has been taken care of, or else Gengar has to continuously pivot out to avoid it; this is where Substitute can come in handy. (not mentioned on the set so merged this into the sub mention in OO)

Team Options
========

Physical walls such as Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Heatran are able to switch into Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Mega Lopunny and Stoutland, and Gengar can switch into non-Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed in return. Entry hazard clearers such as Landorus-T, Excadrill, Latias, and Starmie help Gengar stay on the field longer. Conversely, (AC) entry hazard setters such as Klefki, Garchomp, and Ferrothorn give Gengar an easier time with KOing foes. Dark- and Bug-types such as Hoopa-U, Tyranitar, Weavile, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Scizor help Gengar take care of Psychic-types such as Latios, Latias, and Hoopa-U, as well as opposing Gengar. Fighting- and Fairy-types such as Terrakion and Mega Diancie take care of Dark-types such as Hoopa-U, Tyranitar, and Weavile; Terrakion can also be used to take care of non-Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Porygon-Z and Porygon2. Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Porygon-Z, Porygon2, Mega Lopunny, and Stoutland take care of Choice Scarf users such as Hoopa-U; Mega Lopunny also takes care of Mega Sableye with its Scrappy Fighting-type STAB moves. U-turn, Volt Switch, and Parting Shot users such as Mega Scizor, Magnezone, and Sableye(space)help get Gengar in safely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Choice Scarf can be used over Life Orb to outpeed Latios, Latias, opposing Gengar, and slower Choice Scarf users such as Terrakion, but it causes Gengar's damage output to decrease by a significant amount, resulting in less fewer KOs overall. Substitute can be used over Taunt to allow Gengar to live longer and to hit more Pokemon safely and to deal with Pursuit trappers more easily, (or something like that) but it causes Gengar's HP to go down crazily fast combined with Life Orb. Destiny Bond can also be used in the fourth moveslot to help Gengar deal with the Pokemon it has a hard time KOing otherwise. Pain Split can be used over Taunt to allow Gengar to live longer, but the health regained is sometimes too little to be significant, and Life Orb makes it hard for Gengar to live longer with Pain Split. Toxic Spikes can be used to support Gengar and its teammates by crippling bulky Pokemon to KO them more easily. Icy Wind deals some damage to weakened foes, gives Gengar a way to handle Landorus-T, and cripples faster Pokemon to let Gengar outspeed them the following turns. Disable can be used to cripple offensive (all-out attackers? "offensive attackers" technically isn't a redundancy error I guess but it sure looks like one, and if you mean all-out attackers then might as well be clearer) attackers and bulky walls. A Hex set with moves such as Will-O-Wisp to make Hex stronger, either Sludge Wave or Sludge Bomb to poison the foes that are immune to Will-O-Wisp, and Focus Blast to take care of Pokemon that resist or are immune to either attacking move such as Bisharp can be used to form a stallbreaker set. With the Hex set, use either Black Sludge to regain HP to live longer or Spell Tag for an even stronger Hex, and an EV spread of 144 HP / 108 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe to increase Gengar's bulk significantly, which can be crucial for the set to perform well.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Priority**: Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed Mega Lopunny and Stoutland, Water Shuriken Gyarados and Azumarill, Sucker Punch Tyranitar, Weavile, Hoopa-U, and Gale Wings Talonflame all easily KO Gengar without it getting a chance to damage them due to its mediocre bulk; however, all of them, bar Talonflame, must be wary of Will-O-Wisp to avoid being crippled.

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Mega Sableye, Mandibuzz, and Assault Vest Meloetta easily switch in on Gengar's moves and take care of it with their coverage. Meloetta is also immune to Gengar's Ghost-type STAB type and takes little damage from its other moves.

Last edited:

dhelmise

banend doosre
Social Media Head
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Gengar is a unique Pokemon in the STABmons metagame. Its Ghost / Poison typing and its ability, Levitate, provide it with resistances to three common types in Bug, Fairy, and Grass and an immunity immunities to three other types in Fighting, Normal, and Ground, making it a good switch-in to notable threats like Landorus-T and Excadrill. (makes more sense here than having it detached like it's now) Its typing also allows it to have good neutral coverage with its STAB moves alone and perform as a switch-in to most Fake Out + Extreme Speed users; however, the prevalence of Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Mega Lopunny and Stoutland makes it more difficult for Gengar to stay on the field for long periods of time. Sadly, Gengar has terrible 60 / 60 / 75 bulk, meaning that it will get KOed from almost any neutral hit. Not only that, it is extremely predictable, as it will always either attack or use its utility move. Luckily, however, Levitate makes Gengar a good switch-in to Ground-types like Landorus-T and Excadrill. (seems a bit random here) Gengar's Speed tier isn't the most impressive in a metagame where priority and Choice Scarf users are common; however, base 110 Speed lets Gengar outspeed non-Choice Scarf Keldeo and Landorus-T, as well as unboosted Kyurem-B, and Speed tie with Latios and Latias. Luckily Additionally, Gengar has the ability to run a coverage move such as Focus Blast to take care of a plethora of Pokemon that resist its STAB moves. It can also run a utility move, giving it some variety depending on what its team needs. Overall, Gengar faces little to no competition thanks to the lack of any other offensive Ghost-types in the STABmons metagame.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball provides Gengar with good neutral coverage and gives it the ability to KO Mega Slowbro, Celebi, Espeon, and opposing Gengar. Sludge Wave, when used in tandem with Shadow Ball, gives Gengar solid neutral coverage and lets it KO opposing Fairy- and Grass-types such as Clefable and Serperior. Focus Blast lets Gengar hit Steel-, Dark-, Ice-, Rock-, and Normal-types such as Heatran, Bisharp, (mentioned later too so pick something else please) Weavile, Terrakion, and Porygon-Z super effectively, and it also lets covers Gengar hit (repetition) the Pokemon that resist both Sludge Wave and Shadow Ball, such as Bisharp. Taunt prevents setup sweepers and entry hazard setters from doing their jobs successfully, whereas Will-O-Wisp lets Gengar cripple physical attackers.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed EVs, along with a Timid nature, let Gengar hit as hard and move as fast as possible. Life Orb makes up for the lack of a Modest nature and lets further boosts maximize the use of its Special Attack Gengar's damage output. (awkward + "maximize" just isn't true cause Specs exists_ Levitate lets Gengar switch into Ground-type Pokemon, except for Excadrill. 29 HP IVs let Gengar get more uses out of Life Orb minimize Life Orb recoil.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Gengar in on Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Porygon-Z, Porygon2, and Ursaring. However, (AC) try to avoid Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Mega Lopunny and Stoutland, though, as they easily KO Gengar with those moves. Use Shadow Ball on the predicted switch in from Latios, Latias, and opposing Gengar. Avoid Choice Scarf users such as Terrakion and Hoopa-U, as they can easily KO Gengar with their STAB moves. Try to bring Gengar in on a safe switch because of how frail it is. Use Taunt to cripple defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and to prevent entry hazard setters Pokemon such as Ferrothorn from setting up entry hazards. (less repetitive) Use Will-O-Wisp on the predicted switches ins against from Choice Scarf Terrakion and Landorus-T, as well as from faster physical attackers such as Mega Lopunny, or just to cripple unboosted Kyurem-B and non-Choice Scarf Terrakion and Landorus-T. Spreading burns is also very helpful if you don't know what move to attack with on Gengar. If the opponent has a Pursuit trapper, don't leave Gengar on the field for too long until it has been taken care of, or else Gengar has to continuously pivot out to avoid it; this is where Substitute can come in handy. (not mentioned on the set so merged this into the sub mention in OO)

Team Options
========

Physical walls such as Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Heatran are able to switch into Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Mega Lopunny and Stoutland, and Gengar can switch into non-Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed in return. Entry hazard clearers such as Landorus-T, Excadrill, Latias, and Starmie help Gengar stay on the field longer. Conversely, (AC) entry hazard setters such as Klefki, Garchomp, and Ferrothorn give Gengar an easier time with KOing foes. Dark- and Bug-types such as Hoopa-U, Tyranitar, Weavile, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Scizor help Gengar take care of Psychic-types such as Latios, Latias, and Hoopa-U, as well as opposing Gengar. Fighting- and Fairy-types such as Terrakion and Mega Diancie take care of Dark-types such as Hoopa-U, Tyranitar, and Weavile; Terrakion can also be used to take care of non-Scrappy Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Porygon-Z and Porygon2. Fake Out + Extreme Speed users such as Porygon-Z, Porygon2, Mega Lopunny, and Stoutland take care of Choice Scarf users such as Hoopa-U; Mega Lopunny also takes care of Mega Sableye with its Scrappy Fighting-type STAB moves. U-turn, Volt Switch, and Parting Shot users such as Mega Scizor, Magnezone, and Sableye(space)help get Gengar in safely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Choice Scarf can be used over Life Orb to outpeed Latios, Latias, opposing Gengar, and slower Choice Scarf users such as Terrakion, but it causes Gengar's damage output to decrease by a significant amount, resulting in less fewer KOs overall. Substitute can be used over Taunt to allow Gengar to live longer and to hit more Pokemon safely and to deal with Pursuit trappers more easily, (or something like that) but it causes Gengar's HP to go down crazily fast combined with Life Orb. Destiny Bond can also be used in the fourth moveslot to help Gengar deal with the Pokemon it has a hard time KOing otherwise. Pain Split can be used over Taunt to allow Gengar to live longer, but the health regained is sometimes too little to be significant, and Life Orb makes it hard for Gengar to live longer with Pain Split. Toxic Spikes can be used to support Gengar and its teammates by crippling bulky Pokemon to KO them more easily. Icy Wind deals some damage to weakened foes, gives Gengar a way to handle Landorus-T, and cripples faster Pokemon to let Gengar outspeed them the following turns. Disable can be used to cripple offensive (all-out attackers? "offensive attackers" technically isn't a redundancy error I guess but it sure looks like one, and if you mean all-out attackers then might as well be clearer) attackers and bulky walls. A Hex set with moves such as Will-O-Wisp to make Hex stronger, either Sludge Wave or Sludge Bomb to poison the foes that are immune to Will-O-Wisp, and Focus Blast to take care of Pokemon that resist or are immune to either attacking move such as Bisharp can be used to form a stallbreaker set. With the Hex set, use either Black Sludge to regain HP to live longer or Spell Tag for an even stronger Hex, and an EV spread of 144 HP / 108 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe to increase Gengar's bulk significantly, which can be crucial for the set to perform well.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Mega Sableye, Mandibuzz, and Assault Vest Meloetta easily switch in on Gengar's moves and take care of it with their coverage. Meloetta is also immune to Gengar's Ghost-type STAB type and takes little damage from its other moves.
ty

done unfixable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)