Spriting Contest - Contest #8: Spriter of the Month: Ice-cold Claws - NEXT CONTEST COMING SOON

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Oh right.

Water to Fire: Maroast (Fire/Fairy)

Marill is just a cute mon that really has no defining Water features, besides maybe its blue color and bubble tail. So I thought it would be neat to give it a fireball tail and give it a fiery skin color. Pretty simple really. Name is a combination of maru (ball in Japanese) and roast.

Fire to Water: Neptound (Dark/Water)

Houndoom is pretty much the dog of Hades. I even named my Houndoom Pluto in HG. Neptound here is the polar opposite of Houndoom, as it is the dog of Poseidon/Neptune. To make Neptound look like a Water type, I changed its orange parts to blue, added a trident tail, and added webbed feet as an adaptation to an aquatic environment. Name is a combination of Neptune and hound.

I got distracted with other sprites buuuuut let's do this. Last-minute spriting.

Sprite #1: Bubbles the Showering Monkey

My theme for this is basically baths... because why not.I made a rubber ducky Magmar as well, but it didn't turn out as well as it sounds unfortunately. I had a bubble-making Mollux, but it also turned weird. Instead, I went with a showering Simisear, because why not? It's a cute monkey. And yes, yes I know, why would he be wearing a towel while showering? Would you rather see his monkey man-parts? I mean, I could cover it with bubbles, but you'd still see it y'know.
Sprite #2: Flamedeo-Resonant

I just came up with him just now, I was too focused on my other stuff sadly. What Water type to use was the harder than the Fire type, I had a bunch of ideas like a demon Ducklett all Herondales would fear (props if you get the reference), or a vampire Manaphy, even a gothic Simipour. Sadly, none looked much like a Fire type, except Manaphy, which looked like an avocado-banana hybrid still burning. But today I got a little inspiration. In memory of my baby Keldeo-Resonant, who disappeared somewhere suddenly, I used Keldeo. He's supposed to be based on a Nightmare, you know... those black horses of hell that gallops on your chest to give you nightmares. Of course, he had to look like a Fire type too, so I set him ablaze, shining brighter than those wannabe Rapidash and Ponytas. It might be hard to notice, but the eye color is green, same as Clary from The Mortal Instruments, who also had a reddish-orangish mane. Also, to add a bit of lore, his ebon horn pierces the dreams of the victim, allowing the gem to suck out the dream, fueling his nightmarishly (heh) blazing mane of hell.
And yes yes, "brief explanation" but I'm feeling really talkative today.

Last edited:
Without further delay, my entries are as follows, (for the time being at least, barring further qc'ing.):

Sprite #1 (Fire > Water): Infernape

"Mermape"
Water / Fighting
Torrent / Prankster (HA)

Right from the get-go, I knew that for my first sprite I wanted to make a Sea-Monkey Infernape. However, after a bit of spriting, I realized that it didn't differentiate itself enough from a Fire-Typed Infernape; it looked more like a recolor with a different cranial accessory. I then decided to go in the direction of P. T. Barnum's semi-infamous sideshow hoax: the Fiji Mermaid. I thus added a large aquatic lower body, and complimented it by using a brightly contrasting red and blue color scheme, a throw to the idea of two separate sets of animal remains being sewn together as one cryptid. Mostly completed (as of this time of posting), I then repositioned and lengthened the antennae, remnants of the first concept, to add an aesthetic to an otherwise barren area of the sprite.​

Sprite #2 (Water > Fire): Jellicent

"Hellicent"
Fire / Ghost
Flame Body / Cursed Body / Infiltrator (HA)

For Jellicent, it is a different story then the above. The idea for this concept came to me a while into the competition while lost in thought one day: I simply mused that by taking away the water from Jellicent's design, you are left with a wraith. By adding fire in its stead, you are given something resembling what I present to you today. I resolved to stick to (in my opinion) an unspoken rule so far in Pokemon: ghost types must abstain from resemblance to actual human remains, but when they take a similar fashion they must be cartoon-ified as much as possible. Thus, I shaped Jellicent's head into a cartoony skull featuring anatomically incorrect shaping, dental structure, and other facial characteristics while leaving it as such that it can still have an easily drawn line to a real world skull. I next replaced the crown-like crest on the top of Jelly's head with a virile spout of flame. Following this, I enveloped the head with a wild and raging blaze that connected the now floating head to its appendages below. The arms are aesthetically a ridge of bone-like meterial connected to the main inferno by a molten stream of lava; the legs follow a similar school of thought, but instead are encased in the "liquid flame", so to speak. Lastly, while typing this post, I decided to give my creation a cheesy and wanna-be-edgy name that I stumbled upon as a typo of the Pokemon's species name, and thus Hellicent was born.​

Sprite 1: Water --> Fire:

This Greninja is modeled after the English folklore character Spring-Heeled Jack, a legend known for his demonic physiognomy and ability to spit blue or white-hot flames. As a frog, Greninja is biologically predisposed towards making great leaps, and (at least to me) the transition from ninja to serial killer isn't too drastic a change to imagine. While the design itself doesn't exactly feature Fire as its salient type, I'm hoping that the subtler elements of the sprite, such as the fiery eyes and the tongue reminiscent of the aforementioned exhaled blazes, will be able to cohesively bind the components of the design to the intended re-typing.

Sprite 2: Fire --> Water:

;

This was a very late entry, so it's a bit rushed, but I'm still pleased with the result. This is Houndoom reimagined as an Ahuizotl, a South American devil dog that drowns people who encounter it (fact check?). It has fingers and a third hand on its tail, which you can see here. I also added a blue color plette to help convey the Water-typing.

Reisen

Translations Project Creator
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Voting Period
Hey guys it's time for the voting period, you've all done an amazing job ! During 7 days, everybody on smogon could be able to vote, here are the rules to follow:
  • You will have to vote for 2 pokemon sprites (one fire in water type & one water in fire type), if you vote two times for the same participant, they will earn 2 points.
  • You can also vote 2 times for the same sprite if you judge that it is the only one that you like !
  • The participants can also vote
  • Give a brief explanation of why you have chosen these 2 sprites.
  • Once you have voted, you can't edit it, so make sure to choose the right sprites.
End of the votes: 14/07/2016

Transfert types sprites:

Nightmare Serum

Water type Pokémon changed into a Fire type Pokémon:

So, I chose Feraligatr cuz when I saw his spines, I was like, "Damn boy, his spines so damn hawt!", so then I realized my genius and made his spines into flaming shiz and smoke comin' outta his head. Friggin hawt.

Fire type Pokémon changed into a Water type Pokémon:

I chose Entei for this one because I had a flaming-hair Suicune for some other contest and I thought of having the opposite, bubble-hair Entei.

To Kill a Chatot

Water type Pokemon changed into a Fire type:

Who said you needed fire and smoke to make a fire type Pokemon :]
Also.. it was really hard trying to find a water type i could change into a fire type ;_;

Fire type Pokemon changed into a Water type:

Dayum sea slugs are cool. and colorful. This is basically a shellos ripoff but still it cute :3
Also did you know, if you tell a red bellied sea slug your feelings that you cant tell anyone else it will.....

Ice-cold Claws

Water type Pokémon changed into a Fire type Pokémon:

This sprite is my best shot as a middle finger towards one of the biggest trollings as far as Pokemon typings go. Here's Solgamie, a Fire/Psychic type, and the rightful symbol of the almighty fiery orb in our skies.

Fire type Pokémon changed into a Water type Pokémon:

I always thought Magmortar's big rubbery yellow cannons were a bit weird, so why not ham it up and give it some matching rubber duck feet? And voila -- born is Scubalast, the Diving Duck Pokemon. Its tail is an oxygen tank if that's not clear, and pumps oxygen into its rubbery shoulders, which allows it to fire off powerful special attacks eg. Focus Blast.

HeterosexualZekrom

Fire/Ground -> Water/Ground
Shove a water stone down a Numel's throat and you get this docile-looking water camel thing. I thought it'd be fun to play around with the common misconception that a camel stores water in its humps that most children have. Giving the water depth was a bitch to do, so I kind of gave up halfway which is why it looks a little patchy.

Water/Dark -> Steel/Fire
A more literal torpedo. Super simple design and pretty shitty shading, a lot less effort went into this one lol

boxofkangaroos

Water to Fire: Maroast (Fire/Fairy)

Marill is just a cute mon that really has no defining Water features, besides maybe its blue color and bubble tail. So I thought it would be neat to give it a fireball tail and give it a fiery skin color. Pretty simple really. Name is a combination of maru (ball in Japanese) and roast.

Fire to Water: Neptound (Dark/Water)

Houndoom is pretty much the dog of Hades. I even named my Houndoom Pluto in HG. Neptound here is the polar opposite of Houndoom, as it is the dog of Poseidon/Neptune. To make Neptound look like a Water type, I changed its orange parts to blue, added a trident tail, and added webbed feet as an adaptation to an aquatic environment. Name is a combination of Neptune and hound.

Lucy Heartfillia

Sprite #1: Bubbles the Showering Monkey

My theme for this is basically baths... because why not.I made a rubber ducky Magmar as well, but it didn't turn out as well as it sounds unfortunately. I had a bubble-making Mollux, but it also turned weird. Instead, I went with a showering Simisear, because why not? It's a cute monkey. And yes, yes I know, why would he be wearing a towel while showering? Would you rather see his monkey man-parts? I mean, I could cover it with bubbles, but you'd still see it y'know.

Sprite #2: Flamedeo-Resonant

I just came up with him just now, I was too focused on my other stuff sadly. What Water type to use was the harder than the Fire type, I had a bunch of ideas like a demon Ducklett all Herondales would fear (props if you get the reference), or a vampire Manaphy, even a gothic Simipour. Sadly, none looked much like a Fire type, except Manaphy, which looked like an avocado-banana hybrid still burning. But today I got a little inspiration. In memory of my baby Keldeo-Resonant, who disappeared somewhere suddenly, I used Keldeo. He's supposed to be based on a Nightmare, you know... those black horses of hell that gallops on your chest to give you nightmares. Of course, he had to look like a Fire type too, so I set him ablaze, shining brighter than those wannabe Rapidash and Ponytas. It might be hard to notice, but the eye color is green, same as Clary from The Mortal Instruments, who also had a reddish-orangish mane. Also, to add a bit of lore, his ebon horn pierces the dreams of the victim, allowing the gem to suck out the dream, fueling his nightmarishly (heh) blazing mane of hell.

S0L1D G0LD

Sprite #1 (Fire > Water): Infernape
"Mermape"
Water / Fighting
Torrent / Prankster (HA)

Right from the get-go, I knew that for my first sprite I wanted to make a Sea-Monkey Infernape. However, after a bit of spriting, I realized that it didn't differentiate itself enough from a Fire-Typed Infernape; it looked more like a recolor with a different cranial accessory. I then decided to go in the direction of P. T. Barnum's semi-infamous sideshow hoax: the Fiji Mermaid. I thus added a large aquatic lower body, and complimented it by using a brightly contrasting red and blue color scheme, a throw to the idea of two separate sets of animal remains being sewn together as one cryptid. Mostly completed (as of this time of posting), I then repositioned and lengthened the antennae, remnants of the first concept, to add an aesthetic to an otherwise barren area of the sprite.
Sprite #2 (Water > Fire): Jellicent
"Hellicent"
Fire / Ghost
Flame Body / Cursed Body / Infiltrator (HA)

For Jellicent, it is a different story then the above. The idea for this concept came to me a while into the competition while lost in thought one day: I simply mused that by taking away the water from Jellicent's design, you are left with a wraith. By adding fire in its stead, you are given something resembling what I present to you today. I resolved to stick to (in my opinion) an unspoken rule so far in Pokemon: ghost types must abstain from resemblance to actual human remains, but when they take a similar fashion they must be cartoon-ified as much as possible. Thus, I shaped Jellicent's head into a cartoony skull featuring anatomically incorrect shaping, dental structure, and other facial characteristics while leaving it as such that it can still have an easily drawn line to a real world skull. I next replaced the crown-like crest on the top of Jelly's head with a virile spout of flame. Following this, I enveloped the head with a wild and raging blaze that connected the now floating head to its appendages below. The arms are aesthetically a ridge of bone-like meterial connected to the main inferno by a molten stream of lava; the legs follow a similar school of thought, but instead are encased in the "liquid flame", so to speak. Lastly,
while typing this post, I decided to give my creation a cheesy and wanna-be-edgy name that I stumbled upon as a typo of the Pokemon's species name, and thus Hellicent was born.

P2X7

Sprite 1: Water --> Fire:
This Greninja is modeled after the English folklore character Spring-Heeled Jack, a legend known for his demonic physiognomy and ability to spit blue or white-hot flames. As a frog, Greninja is biologically predisposed towards making great leaps, and (at least to me) the transition from ninja to serial killer isn't too drastic a change to imagine. While the design itself doesn't exactly feature Fire as its salient type, I'm hoping that the subtler elements of the sprite, such as the fiery eyes and the tongue reminiscent of the aforementioned exhaled blazes, will be able to cohesively bind the components of the design to the intended re-typing.

Sprite 2: Fire --> Water:
;

This was a very late entry, so it's a bit rushed, but I'm still pleased with the result. This is Houndoom reimagined as an Ahuizotl, a South American devil dog that drowns people who encounter it (fact check?). It has fingers and a third hand on its tail, which you can see here. I also added a blue color plette to help convey the Water-typing.

Disqualified participants: Amaluna & OfficialThatGuy . Reason: Timeout

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

#1. Ice-cold Claws

#2. Lucy Heartfillia

Quite possibly the best set of entries in a long time, it was rather difficult to pick out the winners as they were all very good.
The first vote goes to Starmie, better than the original and the perfect sprite for a potential Sun/Moon Mega.
I've had my eyes set on an earlier entry for the second vote but then this flaming pony came and stole the show (kinda).

"You will have to vote for 2 pokemon sprites (one fire in water type & one water in fire type)."

I'm not sure if I understood this sentence correctly.
Do I have to pick 1 Fire-type + 1 Water-type or can I vote for the same types (Water -> Fire) but from different users?
If I can then keep my votes as it is.

If not, then keep my first vote and change the second vote to:

#3. S0L1D G0LD

One of the coolest entry and the by far the most creative one.

Tl;dr

If OK -> #1 + #2
If not OK -> #1 + #3

EDIT
v Thanks Reisen! Guess it will be #1 and #3 then.

Last edited:

Reisen

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"You will have to vote for 2 pokemon sprites (one fire in water type & one water in fire type)."
You have to vote for one fire type into a water type and one water type into a fire type, that's why you have to be sure before voting ! I know it's super hard considering that the participants have done an amazing job on the sprites :x

kelres.png

Lucy did a good job with the kelmeme sprite. I like the fire so much :]
Kelres would be proud of this.

infermeme.png

Sea monkeys are dank. Especially when they have magikarp body parts grafted onto them. Looks incredibly dank. Overall great job on the sprite.

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
both my votes for Ice-cold Claws, the ideas are just beyond amazing. that starmie is rad, but the magmortar with the oxygen tank is so original

Reactions: nv
eek no time for pics

1 vote for HeterosexualZekrom's Sharpedo. It's simplistic yet cool tbh.

Another for Tequilla Chatot's adorable sea slug. I'm a sucker for animated slugs and snails :<

Last edited:

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Oh, I'm bad. I forgot to submit it.

My votes:

Fire > Water:

Ice-cold Claws: This is amazing. And deep down inside me, I wish this was the original sprite of it. The colors work very well together and it really does represent the element of water. Though I am not sure what's on its back, it was, in my opinion, the best Fire > water submission!

Water > Fire:

Lucy Heartfillia:
I did basically the exact same with my sprite and I think it works very well. I personally like yours more over mine, but I do dislike the black skin color of Keldeo. I personally think it's a bit too dark, but it does work in a way.

Keep it up, guys!

Intended to be my submissions:

Water > Fire
Fire > Water

Reisen

Ok I took some time because it was super difficult to choose, you've all done a fantastic job

1. HeterosexualZekrom

I find the idea brilliant, I love the sprite and how the Sharpedo looks like, the colors you've taken and how you've modified the eyes. It is really awesome,

2. Ice-cold Claws

It really looks like a water type you've totally changed everything on the sprite and it looks fantastic. The palms, th oxygen tank, the mask and the colors, I like everything on it.

Reisen

Hey guys !

This is the end of the voting period for this contest, I will now announce the winner !

Spriter of the Month - 1st place: Ice-cold Claws - 5 votes in total

2nd place:
Lucy Heartfillia, HeterosexualZekrom & S0L1D G0LD - 2 votes in total

Thank you for participating to this contest and get ready for the next contest that will start soon !

Ice-cold Claws earns 5 points with this contest
Lucy Heartfillia earns 2 points with this contest
HeterosexualZekrom earns 2 points with this contest
S0L1D G0LD earns 2 points with this contest

Reactions: nv
Whoa. It's an honor, thanks everyone who voted -- and thanks to all fellow participants. It's my first time actually submitting to this contest and I'm glad to have pitted my sprites against some fantastic works. Here's to another good one.

Reisen Inaba

You are undoubtedly busy with your role in translations, but you owe the people who have posted here an update on if/when another contest will happen. If you need someone to help or take over running this thread, that can surely be arranged as well.

Reisen

Yes I really apology for the lack of contests but i've been really busy :<

However if someone is up to take the head of the Spriting Contest they are free to do it just inform me!

For all the folks here who watch this thread but do not watch the forum, those who rely on alerts here to inform them of updates, or just anyone who is looking to get an explanation on what's going on now, I've taken over the Spriting contest from Reisen Inaba. You can find the new thread here, where we have just started our first contest: a tribute to Sun/Moon in the form of Constellations. Drop on in if you feel like it :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)