[SPOILERS] Battle Spot in Gen 7 Discussion - News, Speculation & Leaks

Boehijt

je vraagt de definitie van almelo de riet...
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly I have low expectations for terrain in Gen 7. I'm kinda indifferent about weather currently and it seems like the terrains with auto-setters are just like weather is now but with different effects. Maybe if some teams with weather + terrain will appear that could be crazy. Furthermore speed-boosting terrain abilities are a huge boost for the terrains, Electric Terrain has got Surge Surfer so I'm hopeful that the other terrains get abilities like these too, but even then I feel like it won't be metagame changing at all.

Also, have there been hints that Psychic Terrain will be learned by Cresselia? The distribution of the other terrains is currently rather poor, especially for legendaries, so I'm not sure Cresselia will get Psychic Terrain even though it seems pretty likely.

I'm also disappointed about the new timer even if it won't effect me much personally cause I typically make my moves rather quickly on the ladder. I like that Game Freak is doing something about timer stall as the current system is a bit vulnerable to it but I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about it. Anyway I'm still really excited for the Gen 7 metagame and I really can't wait to start playing the games in 4 weeks!

Just an idea about Mega Kang for its usage of power up punch. It may in fact be obtainable through something similar to the battle frontier using their BP or something like that. Just an idea. But I am glad to see that they nerfed Kang, it was extremely annoying to see that almost all the time. And even after intimidate drops from M-Manectric or Salamence they can still lose 1v1 vs it!.

For terrains, I think it depends on what pokemon gain access to an ability similar to drizzle or drought and what pokemon gain the benefit from the terrain such as alolan raichu.

Personally I am excited to see the effects of Z Crystals on the metagame and if you can use a crystal alongside a mega evo, such as using Mega Salamence and BB Greninja with a Water Z Crystal to help ensure it will change forms. Overall Sun and Moon is showing promise towards competitive battling which i welcome.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I've mentioned it once before, but Psychic Terrain seems like it'll have a very powerful presence when paired with powerful sweepers, assuming we do get auto-setters like we think we will. Blaziken in particular is looking terrifying under Psychic Terrain once Bank is released (unless they decide to make Hoenn starters obtainable). Immunity to Prankster Thunder Wave (ignoring the fact that Blaziken is way less bothered by Thunder Wave in general), the fact that Talonflame straight-up loses to Blaziken under Psychic Terrain, and Azumarill can't afford to Belly Drum when Blaziken is in since it'll just lose if Blaziken attacks it because who needs resists, not to mention that a Psychic/Fairy mon (if we assume this is the typing for the terrain setter) pairs very well with Blaziken so I'm fully expecting those two to be a pair once it becomes an option.

And that's just with one Pokemon, not even getting into the other terrains which I expect to have varying degrees of effectiveness. But terrains in general are seeming strong assuming we get auto-setters for all of them.

Psychic Terrain will be fantastic for Mega Alakazam, as priority is a huge detriment to it and the power boost will vastly improve that problem of "Well I did 99% of its HP before it hit be but yeahno I'm dead". I will very much have to run Zammy + terrain.
Electric Terrain and Grassy terrain would be nice if we had auto-inducers; they have pronounced, strong effects and benefit a lot more things than you'd think. Mega Mane with intimidate and those brutally powerful Volt Switches is no joke. Grassy Terrain makes Mega Venusaur nearly invincible while granting it significant shove.
Misty Terrain - no wait its complete shit, just use a Fairy type / Safeguard.

Psychic Terrain is stupidly good in doubles; holy hell. They're really going after Pokemon like Kangaskhan, Talonflame and Azumarill this time around.

And yeah; fast, frail sweeping Pokemon just got a significant buff in that format, whereas they've been just as likely to be liabilities and metas have traditionally pushed bulkier in the past. Stuff like Greninja and Blaziken are suddenly looking a lot scarier

Oh boy, everything has changed. Headline news being the change in ability for Gengar and the nerf to Gale Wings.

Battle Spot is going to be so interesting.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Base stats for all the new Pokemon were discovered.

http://pastebin.com/GwZBGpfx

Those ultrabeasts have some strange stats :o and a lot of slow mons
This pastebin is probably better, it has the stats as well as full movepools and typings / abilities (lacking ability descriptions though).

https://paste.ee/r/zYMUr

Notable things:
  • Gyarados gets Hurricane
  • Suicune gets Sheer Cold
  • Starmie learns a new move; Spotlight. It's apparently a Follow Me clone
  • Pelliper gets Drizzle
  • Gigalith gets Sand Stream
  • Alolan Ninetales gets Sheer Cold from Alolan Vulpix (and gets Heat Wave as an Egg move) this was an error by the leakers
  • Nihilego looks really interesting as a late game Sash / Life Orb cleaner with its great 103 speed and good SpA and movepool (and STAB Power Gem!)
  • We well and truely got baby Arceus with Silvally; all its stats are 95 across the board.
  • Pheromosa has a ridiculous 71/137/37/137/37/151 stat spread. so we also got baby Deoxys
There's more cool stuff but I need to go through it all again

Last edited:
I like the idea of Slush Rush but it's likely to remain a niche pick and much more difficult to build around than Sand or Rain. Toxapex sounds very interesting as does Crabrawler and more than a few more. I also think Trick Room could be extremely potent on BS.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
  • We well and truely got baby Arceus with Silvally; all its stats are 97 across the board.
Apparently it's actually 95. Anyway, I'm pretty excited about this Pokemon! 95 seemed pretty bad to me at first, but then I remembered Mew is 100 in every stat, and this is just a slight step down from that. Might be rough with having to use an item for its typing though. We'd have to wait to see its moves to know, but I suspect Normal-type will be common so it can use items. 95 is just begging for Choice Band or Scarf.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Apparently it's actually 95. Anyway, I'm pretty excited about this Pokemon! 95 seemed pretty bad to me at first, but then I remembered Mew is 100 in every stat, and this is just a slight step down from that. Might be rough with having to use an item for its typing though. We'd have to wait to see its moves to know, but I suspect Normal-type will be common so it can use items. 95 is just begging for Choice Band or Scarf.
Yeah that was a typo on my part. I knew very well it was 95 as Type: Null's speed is 59, so it's a literal swap lol.

Sadly, I don't think it's going to be a good Pokémon in Battle Spot. Ok yeah it's only a few points lower then Mew in its stats, but what exactly does it do with those stats? His BST is respectable, but no individual stat is above average so it can't excel in any one role. It's not fast enough to sweep, not powerful enough to wallbreak, and not bulky enough to be used defensively or as support (not that it has any moves to do this anyway). Its moveset is pretty limited; its signature move; Multi Attack, is a physical move, but the rest of its physical movepool is kinda crap. The only thing I'm seeing use in is a baby Charizard-X set with Work Up / Swords Dance + Flame Charge. However the hard part is deciding which type to use Silvally as and which coverage move to use with it. It lacks Earthquake so that really hurts Fairy-Silvally as that will absolutely need to use Work Up with Flamethrower or Hidden Power Ground. Fighting-Silvally can use Shadow Claw for some good coverage, and Ground-Silvally + Rock Slide could also be cool.

Silvally's special movepool is really good though, so running a normal-type build with Leftovers and BoltBeam + Flamethrower as a Baton Pass receiver could be funny.

It sucks because I really like its design and want it to be good, but I'm just not seeing it..

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's got Parting Shot, which is cool for me. I think some sort of Scarf set would be cool, unfortunately it doesn't get the high power moves to offset its low offenses, like Abomasnow and Infernape do. Double-Edge stands out as its only one.

Just thinking of gimmick sets, Explosion seems fun. Snarl can be cool in doubles and VGC. Thunder Wave is always good too (or is it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°))

What do you think about Pelipper? I actually think it will be better than Politoed in Doubles because it has access to Wide Guard and Tailwind, it can roost and just spam Hurricanes. The biggest flaw might be the 4x Weakness to electric.

What do you think about Pelipper? I actually think it will be better than Politoed in Doubles because it has access to Wide Guard and Tailwind, it can roost and just spam Hurricanes. The biggest flaw might be the 4x Weakness to electric.
That's nothing that a user if Lightning Rid can't take advantage of easily enough.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Im not sure about Pelipper about singles (though I think it will at least be better than Politoed there because of U-turn), but I imagine that Pelipper is gonna often be better in Battle Spot Doubles because of Tailwind, something thats really big over Politoed. Of course, the 4x electric weak is an issue, so Im guessing that Politoed wont be totally irrelevant either!

• Suicune gets Sheer Cold
Ugh...

Anyway, thoughts on Darklium-Z boosted Parting Shot? It essentially emulates a weaker Healing Wish and Parting Shot is no longer exclusive to the Pancham line and some actually fast mons got it ( surprinsingly, because "Aslowla") so I take it a pivot set for say, Persian (??), could be somewhat viable with it? What do you guys think?

Overall I feel like Z-moves are going to be a lot more viable in BS-Singles/Doubles then any other format due to item limitation and how it being an one-time thing isn't too big of a deal in this format, considering how much faster it is than full blown-out singles. So I guess I'll be sticking around here more often since I actually really like the concept of Z-moves, but it doesn't seem like they'll be worth using anywhere else bar very few exceptions.

Last edited:
I'm excited to make a team with a Tapu Lele, Pheromosa, and Mega Alakazam core in doubles focused on Psychic Terran abuse. STAB Psyshock coming off 227 SpA with an additional terrain boost is absurd, especially when Pheromosa gets dual SE STAB against Psychic resists. Immunity to priority seals the deal for these guys, though it's really unfortunate that enemy Pheromosa outspeeds M-Alakazam by one point. I would round out the team with a combination of extra support and Celesteela checks. Best of all, no Ferrothorn or Aegislash until January.

In general, I expect all formats of Battle Spot to focus around the Tapus and teams built around them. They all bring invaluable utility to each of the formats, in addition to being good in of themselves as far as typing and stat distribution go. The first few months are going to be a bumpy ride for Battle Spot though, as the pool of Pokemon is limited by the lack of Pokebank until Jan/Feb - at least I will have some time to enjoy a meta without Sheer Cold Suicune.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm excited to make a team with a Tapu Lele, Pheromosa, and Mega Alakazam core in doubles focused on Psychic Terran abuse. STAB Psyshock coming off 227 SpA with an additional terrain boost is absurd, especially when Pheromosa gets dual SE STAB against Psychic resists. Immunity to priority seals the deal for these guys, though it's really unfortunate that enemy Pheromosa outspeeds M-Alakazam by one point. I would round out the team with a combination of extra support and Celesteela checks. Best of all, no Ferrothorn or Aegislash until January.
I can imagine that Mimikyu can deal with this core pretty well, especially with Fake Out support to deal with double targets. Shadow Claw can deal with all three, and it can dodge one big hit with Disguise, and potentially two with a Sash.

252 Atk Life Orb Pheromosa Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 74-88 (56.9 - 67.6%)
+1 252 SpA Mega Alakazam Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 153-181 (117.6 - 139.2%)
+1 252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mimikyu: 111-132 (85.3 - 101.5%)

252+ Atk Spell Tag Dusknoir Shadow Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Alakazam: 174-206 (133.8 - 158.4%)
252+ Atk Spell Tag Mimikyu Shadow Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 156-186 (106.8 - 127.3%)
252+ Atk Dusknoir Shadow Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pheromosa: 278-330 (189.1 - 224.4%)

Not too amazing at taking boosted Psychic attacks, but it means that you can focus on Lele or Zam without really having to worry about Phero on at least the first turn. I gave Mimikyu a Spell Tag in this example but there's no reason you can't just use Shadow Claw into Shadow Sneak with, say, Tapu Fini in the back to clear Psychic Terrain.

That's a Doubles example but Mimikyu will be even better in 3v3 Singles. The games are shorter, which means that Disguise will have much more value than it would in a 6v6 game, and it gets a bunch of great toys such as Will-o-Wisp and Thunder Wave, which essentially make it one of the best sweep stoppers in the game, only being unable to properly deal with Mega Blaziken under Psychic Terrain:

252+ Atk Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Blaziken: 79-94 (50.9 - 60.6%)
252+ Atk Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Blaziken: 36-43 (23.2 - 27.7%)

252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 159-187 (122.3 - 143.8%)

Mimikyu can win with a bit of chip damage and a Life Orb, or if rain is up to dampen Flare Blitz, but it's a negative matchup. Still, virtually any other other boosting sweeper gets tanked and crippled, then severely chunked with one of Mimikyu's STABs. I can see it pairing really well with Tapu Fini, as in the Doubles example, for coping with Fire attackers such as Blaziken and wiping Psychic Terrain so that Mimikyu can more freely do its job without the restriction on Shadow Sneak. They also lack overlapping weaknesses thanks to their secondary typings, and can have those weaknesses patched altogether with a Steel-type teammate.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So this is pretty important, here are all the Pokemon that can be found via the Island Search Function, which is probably the only way to find non Alolan Pokemon for now.

So the major ones are probably Hydreigon, Mamoswine, Conkeldurr, Togekiss, Aegislash, Azumarill, and Serperior (if we get its hidden ability). We also got Rhyperior, Kingdra, Staraptor, Chandelure, and Gothitelle who can be useful in certain teams for singles and doubles.

What this means is: There are WAY more Pokebank only mons than last generation, so Season one of Battle Spot will be a much different metagame than the other seasons post bank! This also heavily affects how Battle Spot Special is going to be like.

I think this shows that the A-slow-la comments about the potential Gen 7 pre-Bank meta (which I hate) may be justified. Nothing mentioned there is particularly quick.

Based on what I've read I believe HA's will be available through the new horde style battles (although whether this applies to the starters is unknown.) What I've not been able to see is whether breeding mechanics are the same. Also It's interesting to note no Dittos in that list. I guess that means breeding is going to be tough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)