Splatoon

I've been trying to develop stronger strategies for each level, and I'd like to share one of the most underused approach options in kelp dome. My favorite way to approach with long range blasters/chargers is to go immediately right and go over the ramp, then take a left into the splat zone (this is ranked) there will often be people on the other team approaching where you are, and you can easily surprise those under and on the overpass, scoring 1-2 free kills usually. This method as a long range blaster/sniper gets kills, opens an extra way to approach, supports teammates, and can often ensure early control of the center, which decides games in ranked and turf war.

EDIT: on moray towers I see e liters on opposite teams basically facing off on the top platform, whoevers team has the e-liter that kills the other gets a huge advantage. Here's a huge tip for winning: if you are an e liter and know there to be an e liter on the opposing team, instead of just shooting right away in the open where the other can see you, to the right there is a low wall that is more concealed that will make it much harder for the other e liter to see you/ shoot you, and If he does not do this he's at a big disadvantage. This small tip can win games.

Last edited:

One of the new costumes coming in the update.

I might actually pick up the game now. One of my previous gripes with it was the lack of content, but Nintendo seems to have fixed that issue.

what does everyone think of the new weapons and update? The new ones aren't for me, but I've seen them used to good effect. Also, I noticed blackbelly skatepark has been changed drastically, have any others been changed that much?

If anyone wants to squad up for some rank battles contact me! I main the splatterscope

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Don't own a Wii U, but the OST to this game is pretty great and makes me wish I had the spare change to buy it. ~~~~~

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i really like both of the new weapons. the slosher is practically a babby dynamo roller with a great sub + special combo, and it feels so good to wreck people with something so completely different. firing one burst bomb + one bucket shot is actually faster than shooting two bucket shots, and on top of this, the burst bombs give the slosher a very easy time ascending walls. inkstrike is a great special in general, so no complaints for that department from me. it also appears to be the more user-friendly weapon between it and the heavy splatling because i see so many more sloshers online than heavy splatlings. who knew the slosher would be so good lmao

now, onto the heavy splatling. the most accurate description i can make for this weapon is that it's a transition weapon between shooters and chargers. it has the firerate of a shooter and the effective range of a charger. however, instead of shooting one uber-powerful burst like a charger normally would, it shoots out multiple small projectiles, just like the shooters. while this would seemingly be bad (considering that many of the fast shooters tend to have low accuracy), the heavy splatling actually has rather remarkable accuracy per shot, which is quite nice. they're amazing at defense thanks to their high fire rate and the splash wall sub, and you can even go on the offensive if need be thanks to the aforementioned fire rate. speaking of the splash wall sub, it's one of the best choices for subs possible since it partially solves one of the splatling's main issues: its vulnerability while charging. while it isn't the end-all-be-all solution, it can hold off any opponents long enough for the heavy splatling user to charge up and fire their shots. from my gameplay experience with the heavy splatling, i feel that one thing any heavy splatling user should memorize is the bare minimum time needed to charge up enough shots to take down an opponent. this gives your opponents even less time to react to your shots.

---

thoughts on the new gear? the ika musume crossover gear looks absolutely amazing, and the other new gear looks funky fresh too. also, the new urchin underpass is a beautiful map. i love how open it is now.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
okay rather than shitpost some more I'm just gonna list the gear I'm currently using with a few reasons

Retro Specs
Quick Respawn (main)
Special Saver
Swim Speed Up
Damage Up

I'm actually a slimy hipster irl (DJ Octavio's words are hurtful but I must go on) and I couldn't resist wearing glasses that actually look like my own, but having Quick Respawn is a bonus. The other abilities are mostly bonus; I previously had Quick Super Jump / Bomb Range Up / Ink Saver (Sub) but rerolled because I rarely Super Jump and usually don't use weapons with bombs. Swim Speed Up is great, I recently switched to a shirt with swim speed as a main abilitity because I felt I was moving too slow, so a little extra boost is nice!

White Line Tee
Swim Speed Up (main)
Run Speed Up
Bomb Range Up
Special Saver

jk I still got that Bomb Range Up

I really only use this for the main ability; I really wanted Swim Speed Up without losing the Blue Moto Boots. Not that the other stuff hurts.

Blue Moto Boots
Ink Resistance (main)
Run Speed Up
Ink Recovery Up
Ink Saver

Now THESE I can get behind. Ink resistance and the 2nd/3rd sub abilities are pretty great since I normally play a pretty aggressive playstyle; the less I have to stop holding the trigger button, the better. Run Speed Up is also cool.

Just came back to Splatoon after a 15 days break, I'd like to share my opinions regarding some of the new stuff:

Rainmaker mode:Oh boy, this is much better than I thought it would be! Not only it has a really cool name (Bazookarp (italian) >>>Rainmaker imho), but it's much more action packed than your average "capture the flag" mode. The fact that the "flag" in question doesn't make you a living target is pretty cool, but the added platforms make it much easier to get to the Bazookarp Rainmaker and get back to pressuring. The seeker+.52 gal is still a godsend to get to the center in record time, but Dynamo roller(s) and the slosher are very effective at supporting and getting rid of annoying Rainmakers in your area (watch out for the charge shot tho).
Speaking of the Slosher...

Slosher:I honestly thought I would suck massively with it, so I equipped it, got into a ranked match and won in less than 1 minute and with a 5-0 to boot (I'm just level 23,but bear with me)...This thing is really, really user-friendly, and the ink fling goes surprisingly far for being a "shotgun-(n)y" type of weapon, on top of splatting really quickly on the medium distance (60-70 damage unboosted is cool). I did face an unsurprising amount of bucket-inkling, and noticed that the best way to tackle them is to either get close and personal and hit them (as two ink flings splat slower than, say, .52 or Aerospray when close), or abuse their lack of distance and force them to flee. It's really effective at ambushing tho, so watch out. The victory pose when using the slosher is adorable^^.

New gear: Some of the new clothes are really neat (night-vision googles :Q__), and it seems you get extra clothing from judd as a prize after getting to a certain rank, but it may be just me. Still looking for a cool looking hat with Ink Saver(main) with a good brand (don't like the look of the safari hat and the new chinese styled one :/ ).

Also, is it just me, or does the seeker/sub weaps in general use more ink now? I noticed that I always need to be at full to be able to spawn one, instead of the usual "fire 4 bullets -> spawn seeker", and I can only get to throw 3 splat bombs with an Ink saver(sub) main+1 sub.
Finally, considering custom matches are out, would it be a good idea to organise some sort of, uh, mini-tourneys or something for us Smogoneers to enjoy, or would our time zone differences and (possible) other things to do ruin everything completely? Just, uh, throwing it out there..."hides into blot of ink".

Catherine Walker

Banned deucer.
I found the little sections that were hard to get to in wall eye warehourse were really important targets since you can cover so much of the area with ink and its hard for the other team to contest it.

So, USA gets to enjoy a brand new Splatfest with Transformers of all things, while us poor Europeans are still waiting for some new fresh event to happen...I just want some extra snails because Spyke and his perk-roulette are the worst );

In other news, Flounder Heights has just been released. What are your opinions on it? Personally, I kind of like how big the area is and how many tiny passages there are to get to the other side (not counting the rooftops). Just tried it today in some Turf Wars and it was a lot of fun, although snipers and Dynamos had a whale of a time on the tops, so I had to stick with ambushes and pursuits on the lower ground (courtesy of the seekers) until the last 30 seconds and then final (zerg) rushes to the top to distract the e-liters and overwhelm them with sheer numbers.
Overall, the last new maps (especially the new-and-revamped Urchin Underpass) are pretty diverse imho and promote many more different approaches other than the usual "get-to-the-middle-and-push-forward".

EDIT:Welp, new Splatfest is out. It's no Transformers, but it'll do, I guess.

Last edited:
I'm super salty right now, my friend is telling that splatoon is just a watered down shooter, I'm like what about the squid and ink mechanics, and he tells me that those aren't a big deal. WHAT?
By the way autobots for the win

Tbh i was planning on maining the Slosher until i found out you needed to mash the trigger repeattedly to use it, which sucks because of how bulky the Wii U Gamepad is, which cramps up my hand pretty quickly. This is also why i don't use the Inkbrush that often... back to Aerospray once again i guess.

Don't know if it's just me, but I find the Wii U Gamepad to be quite comfortable, actually. I suppose it's just a matter of getting used to it, but now I find it difficult to get back to the standard Pro Controller bacause of how minuscule it is compared to the gamepad :/ (especially during local multiplayer: I always use the gamepad because it's just so comfortable to hold and has the gyro to boot).

Speaking of local multiplayer (which almost nobody uses, most certainly), has anyone noticed that the Urchin Underpass and the Mall level are the old ones instead of their new, improved versions? Old Underpass with a Squiffer/Splatterscope/Squelcher is hilarious because you can snipe your friend 24/7 AND get most of the balloons from a relatively safe perch, considering how small the area is.

Finally got to S rank (hopefully S+ later) using the .96 gal deco and the forge splattershot pro. Really enjoying the S lobby a lot more than the A, I can definitely notice the difference. I don't see as many chargers in S as I probably should, but other than that I see usage of almost every weapon. I really enjoy the forge and .96 gal weapons and how I can abuse their subs (splat wall is the best in the game js) as well as their specials. Having more fun with the game now than ever.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)