SPL 8 Creative Sets

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
come one, come all. if you don't want to post an entire thread with your teams, then this is the place for you. if you don't wanna reveal your whole team and just wanna show a cool set, then this is the place for you. hell if you wanna post all 9 of your teams in this thread, then be my guest. Because this is the doubles spl creative sets thread! here you will find cool and innovative sets people used throughout spl. If you would please post the reasoning why you brought that specific set (why did you bring groundium z mamoswine? because finally brings a lot of wide guard and ground weak pokemon) that would be greatly appreciated.

Stax MajorBowman SamVGC Biosci kamikaze Braverius Memoric I Am a Rookie Laga BLINGAS DaAwesomeDude1 njnp frania miltankmilk TheFourthChaser Nido-Rus Croven

This boi never got to shine bc his accuracy was off the mark but I had a dope idea for one of Bowman's teams.

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Healing Wish
- Protect

The idea behind this was it was a megagross lele team and I thought "metagross does awesome damage but gets chipped down to low-HP pretty fast, what if you could get 2 tries at it?" So kinda like if you bring 2 DD users to break down the checks for the other one, i wanted to use h-wish skymin so that one mon could break down its own check, then clean later. It never got to show its true potential tho :sob:

kaori

Fully Automated Gay Space Communism
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

fuck off (Entei) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 24 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Bulldoze

as somebody who almost exclusively uses boring shit this is probably the closest i have to creative, i wanted a bulky physical fire for this team and also "oh god this team has no heatran checks lets give it bulldoze". was a way to improve my subpar zard matchup without sacrificing the matchup vs stuff like ferrothorn which i was a bit afraid of

IM IN THE CUT (Rotom-Mow) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpA / 88 SpD / 32 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Light Screen
- Protect

somehow this was only the second worst grass type in my match vs BLINGAS (see: scarf skymin), the basic idea was that i wanted light screen to support mixmence and to increase aegis's survivability. was also a good ghetto workaround to koko, which the team struggled with

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TREMBLE IN FEAR

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 36 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

This is probably the best thing I've come up with in this format. I originally used this Zapdos week 2 vs kamikaze, and then reused it week 8 vs Biosci. The idea was that Zapdos is a very consistent Tailwind setter, and Misty Seed + Intimidate support makes it close to unkillable. The moveset is pretty standard, Electric/Ice coverage is great and makes Zapdos a really solid answer to stuff like Salamence and Landorus, provided the latter doesn't flinch you to death. The speed investment is to outspeed max Adamant Tapu Bulu (and pretty much everything relevant under Tailwind) and the special attack was so Zapdos had a pretty good chance to either prevent Azumarill from using Belly Drum or KO it after it has used Belly Drum, and the only attack from +6 Azu that can kill Zapdos is Play Rough since Aqua Jet misses the KO, as does Knock Off once the seed is activated. The defense is specifically for Adamant Choice Band Tapu Bulu Stone Edge, but that is literally not at all relevant so I'll probably be reworking the spread sometime soon. I was surprised it caught on so quickly since I started seeing other people using Misty/Psychic Seed Zapdos almost immediately after my SPL game vs kamikaze, but the seeds are super good and deserve more attention.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Zygarde @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 28 SpD / 164 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Swagger

I was gonna bust this out against njnp but ultimately decided to go with something safer. The idea behind scarfing Zygarde is that Thousand Arrows is a broken move and that njnp is a new player and a lot of newer player's teams tend to be pretty Zygarde weak. They have ways of preventing it from setting up but after Zygarde gets that +1 speed, they tend to drop pretty easily. So Choice Scarf let's me dodge the need to use a turn to DD. Zygarde is also hella weak without a Dragon Dance boost so naturally I paired it with Scarf Fini so I can Swagger it. Zygarde EVs allow it to live Lele's Moonblast while having enough speed to creep other Zygardes and also one point slower than Fini so that Fini can Swagger Zygarde first. There was a reason I used Jolly on Zygarde but I can't remember it right now.

e: zygarde outruns deo-a iirc

Last edited:

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 80 HP / 152 Atk / 92 SpD / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

Bullet Punch is very underrated on Metagross as a 3rd move, but I also feel that way about Priority in general. You often pair this with Tapu Lele, generally scarf, and playing around your own psychic terrain wasnt too big a problem in testing and often your opponent turns it off for you which makes BP live. There are some neat tricks you can do with BP. VS Tapu Koko with both of them on the field you can psychic/moonblast into koko and easily BP for a knockout vs standard sets since koko turns off your own scarf lele's psychic terrain. Similarly vs Scarf Landorus-T, Psychic which normally doesnt ko can be combined with BP for a knockout since Lando is not grounded. VS Biosci I used a standard 252 252 spread but he blasted me with Mega Gengar so I thought about it more and modified it to this one. This takes Mega Gengar Shadow Ball and outspeeds anything in the 101 speed tier and below, while the rest is dumped into offense. I didnt see much usefulness in Max Speed on Metagross as there isnt too much in that speed tier besides Ninetales-A and Nihilego, both of which get blasted by BP.

Victini @ Assault Vest
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Glaciate

Made this for Bowman because I knew he likes zard, and was bonus points since I knew it was his favorite pokemon. Its a good Zard Psyspam check and was a decent Mence and Lando lure as people at the time would probably assume it was a Scarf Victini. Its full special because of the abundance of Intimidate and my focus around using it was having Glaciate to punish the intimidate users coming in. Blue Flare is probably the main move you click with this pokemon because of its high damage output and fire just being great offensively vs the meta. Tbolt is there for zard and to chunk waters, as well as not being completely useless vs heatran (roll to break subs unfortunately). Psychic is mainly there for opposing mega gengar and also can be used for general damage output if Psychic Terrain is setup (prob your opp's Psychic Terrain since Lele Victini doesnt sound like they synergize together well). U-Turn is another option I considered that can be used but I would definitely not drop any of Blue Flare or Glaciate for that as those are staples for the set to work. Tbolt or Psychic can be dropped depending on the rest of your team structure.

The speed is just outspeed Jolly Landorus so if you nail a scarf Lando on the switch with Glaciate you can nail it again on the following turn, and obviously if its non scarf you outspeed all the time. I just dumped the rest in spA so the meh 100 spA would hit as hard as possible and dump the rest in HP. The HP notably lives 2 Heatran Earth Powers with some small leeway to spare, so you can drop some HP and run more speed to outspeed Lele and Kyub speed tier but I was ok with leaving the HP dump as it gave some leeway for Victini to switch into common weak attacks like Jirachi Icy Winds and still be ok vs Heatrans. Kyurem-B and Max Speed Lele also werent really common at the time either, but its worth considering now with Rachi banned and Kyub seeing more play. Unfortunately didnt get to have this mon shine in my SPL match but it worked well in testing and helped with getting a 6-0 in a seasonals match because of the pressure it can apply with its coverage.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion

fizzy resort (Volcanion) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 68 SpA / 96 SpD / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I used Volcanion on my Kang team for fun and style really, just wanted something that can take on a lot of stuff, Fires and Steels in particular, while still being a pretty dangerous mon offensively. However, with the meta tearing it down sideways due to its piss Special Defense, I went and made the call to put some investment on it and then slap an Assault Vest. I'd say it worked; this guy's been a baller pivot ever since as it's both capable of taking a lot of attacks from both sides and dishing out some strong ones back. This set is EV'd to outrun 0 Speed Milotic if ever and, more importantly, outrun base 130s such as Tapu Koko and Mega Gengar if in Tailwind; I also EV'd it to live Life Orb Thunderbolt in Electric Terrain from Tapu Koko, making it reasonably fat on the special side and usable in that said situation if ever so needed. The rest was dumped in Special Attack and the nature is Modest because I also want it to hit things. The two STABs are there because they're STABs, Sludge Bomb is for hitting the Tapus and Azumarill if ever, and Hidden Power Ice is for Drags such as Zygarde and Mega Salamence. Overall, the set's really fun to use since the combination of high bulk + power makes it capable of punishing a lot of stuff and it has good matchups against the likes of Fini, Heatran, YZard, MegaMence, and the whole corporation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)