Sonic Fan Remix - Fully Playable 2.5D Re-Imagining of Emerald Hill Zone from Sonic 2

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Holy crap. I just finished their demo and I must say, as far as the physics go that was pretty damn close to what I want from a Sonic game. Visually, it's an interesting take but too busy to be fully playable. Enemies are too hard to differentiate from the background and it's hard to see alternate paths at times. It would be nice to shrink down the screen a bit and make more viewable. We do live in the HD era after all and that ran perfectly in 1080p :)

Try it out.

http://sonicfanremix.com/
Megaupload Mirror: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D315B1S7

Cool, I've always been a big fan of sonic series barring their 'Riders' games and this redux seems pretty cool! Emerald zone from Sonic 2 has always been nostalgic and this really brings back memories, kudos for the find!

This isn't 2.5D. It's 2D with insanely fancy graphics. A 3D background for a 2D game doesn't mean 2.5D. Sorry, that just bugs me. It's not the first time Firestorm has misused the term either, he also did so in the Sonic 4 thread.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
2.5D has had two separate meanings ever since the advent of 3D gaming, and though the technical definition has existed longer the artistic definition is the one far more commonly used today. And even the technical definition has like 10 different applications in video games alone. If you don't like that one term has multiple meanings (welcome to the English language), make a better term and make it popular.

Since when has 2.5D meant that? The Sonic Rivals series are 2.5D Sonic games, Sonic 4 and this aren't. Have you seen anyone call Smash Bros Melee or Brawl 2.5D? I sure haven't.

So I tried playing this game, but it doesn't seem to be working. I get to the start menu, and after I press start I am just treated to a blue screen with a sunflower, a rainbow, butterflies, and some mountains. I assumed this was the loading screen, but 30 minutes later and the screen was still there.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Since when has 2.5D meant that? The Sonic Rivals series are 2.5D Sonic games, Sonic 4 and this aren't. Have you seen anyone call Smash Bros Melee or Brawl 2.5D? I sure haven't.
Yes. They have. The artistic 2.5D has been around since the N64.

EDIT: And its the technical 2.5D anyway because of scrolling backgrounds. What more do you want?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Worked fine for me Obsessed.
Er, yes, multiple times. 2.5D is often used in casual conversation to describe games that play on a 2D plane but with 3D models.

Wasn't running the first time I tried it but I redownloaded and reextracted it and now it runs fine.

And damn was that a good looking demo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)