Smogon University PO Statistics — October 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Go the the OP of this thread, find the Standard OU Rated Hide Tag, click it, and there you go. All the Pokemon in order from most to least used.

Keep in mind, there've been some changes to the tier that aren't reflected in the stats. Namely, Excadrill and Thundurus were banned halfway through the month.

Dragonite. Top. Interesting.

I suppose I did see a lot around, though I'm sure I saw more Rotom-Ws around, but maybe I just noticed them more because my team finds them harder to deal with.

I'm quite surprised (is that the right word, maybe intruiged would be better) to see how much Dugtrio has shot up in usage. Go Tri-Sausage!

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ain't nothing poor about SpecsHurricane. Specs Tornadus is still one of the single best cleaners I have ever used. Remove any pesky scarfers/ttars and you're pretty much golden.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
People, just in case you are: don't play Tornadus like Thundurus. They are so damn different it's not even funny. Thundurus gets Nasty Plot and Electric moves and Tornadus gets Hurricane. One can sweep, the other goes SPECS NUKE-A-CANES WOOHOO LET'S 2KO SKARMORY!

Specs Tornadus is a monster, but he's not a poor man's thundurus. One has four moveslot syndrome, the other doesn't care about two of its moves (and only cares about Focus Blast so it can miss against Tyranitar and cost you the game).

NUKE-A-CANES ON FULL BLAST MOTHAFUCKAS!!!

what i mean is, when thundurus was around, Tornadus's usage put it in UU. Now, it's usage has jumped by 25, which means people finally started using it T.T

I personally consider October's stats to be pretty meaningless, since there were so many changes mid-month and so much confusion. OF COURSE Tornadus would see at least a temporary spike in usage when its brother was banned. OF COURSE sand team usage would fall once Excadrill-sand-sweeping became impossible. I'm really looking forward to publishing November's stats (once November is over), so we can see what trends were just fads and which were permanent adjustments to the metagame(s).

I personally see a drastic Deoxys-S increase ever since the banning. Of course Thundurus ripped deoxys of the thing he was the best at with twave. Deoxys is encouraging HO with lead screens and use him as fodder, allowing D-Nite to set up in their face, and having no real way to kill a Danced Dnite that has extreme speed. Also we all know the days tyranitar owned OU, but of course since excadrill that will never occur again.

Are YOU tired of a certain frog centralizing the metagame along with dragonite? Are you tired of the Scizor and rotom& the likes? Than stop by UU for even more weather. With 77% of the battles being sandstorm( not giving an actual statistic), you can almost guarantee an alakazam, stoutland, and a hipp on the team. Get your weather here!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
People like to use standard mons, because they are effective and easy. However, there are other ways to win. I hit the 1500s with a team with no Deoxys-S, no Politoed, no Scizor / Rotom-W spam, no Dragonite. Just know your threats, know how to deal with them, and execute your own plan. With 649 mons, there are many possibilities that people can choose to run that are competitively viable. Most people tend to go with the trend and use the most popular strategy - it's inevitable.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
People like to use standard mons, because they are effective and easy. However, there are other ways to win. I hit the 1500s with a team with no Deoxys-S, no Politoed, no Scizor / Rotom-W spam, no Dragonite. Just know your threats, know how to deal with them, and execute your own plan. With 649 mons, there are many possibilities that people can choose to run that are competitively viable. Most people tend to go with the trend and use the most popular strategy - it's inevitable.
Shhh! People need to think that there is no way to win besides spamming Deoxys-S Offense and Rain so we can ban them! If people realize that it's possible to win without using them, then we can't ban them and move on to the next most powerful thing!

Shhh! People need to think that there is no way to win besides spamming Deoxys-S Offense and Rain so we can ban them! If people realize that it's possible to win without using them, then we can't ban them and move on to the next most powerful thing!
._.

Smogon should limit the bans they enforce, not expand them.

If it really breaks the game, ban it. If it doesn't, don't. It's that easy.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I personally see a drastic Deoxys-S increase ever since the banning. Of course Thundurus ripped deoxys of the thing he was the best at with twave. Deoxys is encouraging HO with lead screens and use him as fodder, allowing D-Nite to set up in their face, and having no real way to kill a Danced Dnite that has extreme speed. Also we all know the days tyranitar owned OU, but of course since excadrill that will never occur again.

Are YOU tired of a certain frog centralizing the metagame along with dragonite? Are you tired of the Scizor and rotom& the likes? Than stop by UU for even more weather. With 77% of the battles being sandstorm( not giving an actual statistic), you can almost guarantee an alakazam, stoutland, and a hipp on the team. Get your weather here!
At least give a real statistic, lol. It's not as if you can't find where the statistics are.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
._.

Smogon should limit the bans they enforce, not expand them.

If it really breaks the game, ban it. If it doesn't, don't. It's that easy.

It's not. A lot of people have many different ideas on what constitutes 'game-breaking' and there are many personal experiences weaved into objective arguments to wade through, which is why we have to go through weeks of testing and politics just to reach a verdict on anything. Smogon doesn't simply 'ban' things, and I would think that even the average member could grasp this by now.

While it is true that we're moving more quickly into balance than we did last gen, you can thank the efficiency of our new policies for allowing us to waste less time. Taking a solid year to evaluate suspects might appease those who are ban adverse, but I don't ever want us to have to take four years just to balance this game again. People should be happy that we are moving this quickly, not upset.

It's not. A lot of people have many different ideas on what constitutes 'game-breaking' and there are many personal experiences weaved into objective arguments to wade through, which is why we have to go through weeks of testing and politics just to reach a verdict on anything. Smogon doesn't simply 'ban' things, and I would think that even the average member could grasp this by now.

While it is true that we're moving more quickly into balance than we did last gen, you can thank the efficiency of our new policies for allowing us to waste less time. Taking a solid year to evaluate suspects might appease those who are ban adverse, but I don't ever want us to have to take four years just to balance this game again. People should be happy that we are moving this quickly, not upset.
I don't think "balance" is the right word to use here. The game is always balanced no matter what bans you have, since both players have access to the same pokemon. The bans don't seek to necessarily balance the game, but to increase the viability of other pokemon in competitive play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)