Smogon University PO Statistics — May 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water grounds like Quagsire / Gastrodon / Pert should be up a tad for the hype over Thundurus, especially Gastrodon. Maybe same with Terrakion / Landorus as they check it as scarfers. Ttar and Rotom too but everyone uses them anyway. Toxicroak will be up a little as well with the advent of alot of rain teams using it and recognizing its ability to beat Ferrothorn and Virizion.

If Gastrodon hits UU then I might be seriously disappointed... was looking forward to writing an RU analysis too! >:)

My predictions: with all the hype it's getting, Gastrodon will almost make the OU cut. Excadrill usage will rise now that there's no "Should I use drill or chomp?" question, which will cause people to want it banned more. Tornadobro will drop to UU and nobody will cry, but he will be quickly voted BL.

I could say more, but those are my best ones.
I really don't see Tornadus getting moved to BL. It doesn't do much of anything... It's nothing like Thundurus who has NP, perfect accuracy 95 bp STAB, and T-wave. It can use Air Slash, bad acc Hurricane, and unboosted attacks. Its only boosting move is Bulk Up, and his best sweeping moves with that are Acrobatics/Hammer Arm/Crunch (which sucks). SR weakness also means choice sets need to be babied with spin support.

At that, Tornadus isn't really a BAD Pokemon, it's just nowhere near BL level, especially with Raikou and Zapdos running around UU. Also, Azelf has better base offenses than it, and with better typing and movepool.

Also, Gastrodon hype has been around for a while. People haven't wised up fast enough, and it's still not gonna be OU.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Tornadus can set up priority Rain Dance and kill opposing weather mons easily with Focus Blast/Hurricane and stuff. And with amazing offensive stats it'll get banned IMO.

Tornadus can set up priority Rain Dance and kill opposing weather mons easily with Focus Blast/Hurricane and stuff. And with amazing offensive stats it'll get banned IMO.
Meh, offensively though, Tornadus doesn't offer much. Zapdos is currently a UU staple, it resists both of Tornadus' big hits and OHKOs with STAB Tbolt. Random choice scarfers can also pick off Tornadus easily, and bulky waters can come in on him as well.

Perhaps if rain becomes prominent, we might try to ban Damp Rock like last gen. The only thing really important about its "priority" Rain Dance is that he can dodge Crobat's Taunt or set up rain before something faster kills him.

On the other hand though, UU has Zapdos and Kingdra, both of which can take advantage of the fact that you now have a 'guaranteed' RD up...

zapdos will probably move back to ou and i belive azumarill may move up to ou once people relise how monsturous it is in the rain.
Stab+rain boost+choice band+ max attack waterfall= 2HKO almost everything

Zapdos is not going back into OU until Thundurus is banned, which may or may not happen.

Azumarill is ridiculously slow without Aqua Jet, and it isn't exactly bulky either...

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Zapdos shouldn't even be compared to thundurus. Nobody actually ran Zapdos as a sweeper in fourth gen thanks to the prevalence of Tyranitar and Blissey. So why should he be replaced by someone who isn't even doing his job?

Zapdos' roles are different. He's bulkier than thundurus and has a reliable recovery. He isn't shut down by specially defensive jirachi, and can baton pass. Pressure stalling is actually effective on him too.

yeah zapdos is really good defensivly and i belive it will be bunped up to ou for its defensive bulk not for its sp atk capabilitys and azumaril can take a hit with max hp and it may be really slow but with right prediction it could send out someone hefty blows on the oppenent. and aqua jet is for fragile poke like gengar and caneven ohko thunderous in the rain with aqua jet most of the time

Zapdos is not going back into OU until Thundurus is banned, which may or may not happen.

Azumarill is ridiculously slow without Aqua Jet, and it isn't exactly bulky either...
lolwut, azu is one of the top 5 rain abusers. it falls in the same boat as mew and gastrodon in that for some reason it's not OU yet. the only things that can reliably deal with azumarill is jellicent and physically defensive water absorb/resist mons. otherwise, azu is going to dent anything every time it hits the field.

There are so many non-OU Pokemon that are overalll better than some OU mons, it's ridiculous. Like, why the hell is Chandelure ranked so high? For the Electivire of this gen's OU, it's not clinging onto OU, it's smack-dab in the middle.

Like, why the hell is Chandelure ranked so high? For the Electivire of this gen's OU, it's not clinging onto OU, it's smack-dab in the middle.

C'mon, don't diss my Chandy T_T

It's not horrible like Electivire. It can actually kill things, it can beat it's counters, it actually looks cool, and it can give some teams some trouble, unlike E-vire.

There are so many non-OU Pokemon that are overalll better than some OU mons, it's ridiculous. Like, why the hell is Chandelure ranked so high? For the Electivire of this gen's OU, it's not clinging onto OU, it's smack-dab in the middle.
Electivire was never "clinging to OU," he was consistently in the mid 30s for pretty much the entire generation. Just like Chandelure is doing now. It's used way to much for how ineffective it is

Electivire was never "clinging to OU," he was consistently in the mid 30s for pretty much the entire generation. Just like Chandelure is doing now. It's used way to much for how ineffective it is
Oh yeah, just checked it again... I suppose I was thinking of Ninjask and Umbreon, who have gotten their spots taken by Mienshao and Swampert.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I guess I can post some predictions. No guarantees on being right.

Tyranitar stays #1
Ferrothron stays #2
Garchomp will drop lol
Scizor will rise to #3, barely missing Ferrothorn
Gliscor will drop a little
Latios will drop to about #8, possibly?
Rotom-W will stay about the same
Excadrill will rise one spot, maybe 2
Reuniclus will drop a little
Heatran will stay about the same
Jirachi will go up a little
Dragonite will stay about the same
Conkeldurr will drop quite a bit
Politoed will rise quite a bit
Gengar won't change much, maybe drop a little
Skarmory will drop a little
Thundurus will rise significantly
Jellicent will drop a little
Starmie will either stay the same or drop a little
Volcarona will rise a little
Infernape will drop a little
Gyarados will drop a little
Blissey will rise
Forretress won't change much
Ninetales will either stay the same or go up a little
Hydreigon will drop a little
Haxorus will rise a little
Salamence will rise quite a bit
Magnezone will drop a little
Terrakion will rise
Vaporeon will stay about the same
Metagross will go up a little
Breloom will not change much
Chandelure will stay about the same
Swampert will go up a little
Cloyster will stay about the same
Scrafty will stay about the same
Hippowdon will drop a little
Tentacruel will either stay the same or go up a little
Lucario will either stay the same or go up a little
Machamp won't change much
Deoxys-S might go up a little
Toxicroak will go up
Virizion will go up
Espeon will go up
Bronzong will drop, but not to UU
Porygon2 will drop a little
Mienshao won't change
Venusaur will either stay the same or go up a little
Landorus will go way up
Latias will stay about the same, possibly go down. Definitely not to UU though
Whimsicott will almost go down to UU
Darmanitan might go up a spot

Oh yeah, just checked it again... I suppose I was thinking of Ninjask and Umbreon, who have gotten their spots taken by Mienshao and Swampert.
Actually Tornadus and Darmatian are rpobably gonna be one of the most fluctualting ones, i hope miensaho goes UU were he will really be appreciated

meinsho wont go to uu its to good for uu anyway it will stay right in ou sense its a great scouter and has a nice attack stat and speed.
It MIGHT be (there seem to be a LOT of good mons in high UU this gen, including Victini), but Smogon's tiers do not work that way.

OU, or Over used, is the standard tier. Ubers is a banlist for OU, and Ubers is based on power in OU.
UU, or Under used, is the tier below OU. It is determined by what is unpopular in OU. BL is a banlist for UU, and it is based on power in UU.
RU, or Rarely used, is the tier below UU. It is determined by what is unpopular in UU. It will likely get its own Ubers/BL equivalent someday.
NU, or Never used, which will be established eventually, is the tier below RU, determined by what is unpopular in RU.

Even if Mienshao is good, it will still fall to UU if people do not use it enough.

^ So Mienshao could very well end up in BL. I agree that it is probably too good for UU

(Hint: Need a UU scouter? Use Ambipom, it owns)

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I don't think mienshao will even end up in BL. There are faster scouters in UU, and with things like duskclops down there, I don't think many of us will have too many problems trying to wall him.

The truth is that a Pokemon being OU doesn't necessarily mean it would be too overpowered if it hypothetically dropped into UU. When Heracross dropped to UU, plenty of people were flipping out. Turns out it wasn't quite as bad as people thought. Jumping to conclusions is pretty useless.

The truth is that a Pokemon being OU doesn't necessarily mean it would be too overpowered if it hypothetically dropped into UU. When Heracross dropped to UU, plenty of people were flipping out. Turns out it wasn't quite as bad as people thought. Jumping to conclusions is pretty useless.
Heracross is BL in Gen 4. What?

It is? The last time I played Gen 4 OU must have been longer ago than I thought. I remember thinking Heracross was a bit overhyped, but I guess that was just me, or maybe I just imagined thinking that...

Anyway, the point still stands. Especially this time around with the amount of incredibly powerful previously OU threats currently in UU. There really isn't anything that definitively says that Mienshao would be too overpowered. I think it's still going hang onto its OU status for the time being, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)