Smogon University PO Statistics — Feburary 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay for feraligatr.

Man, scizor's gonna be #1 in OU forever apparently.
(unless I'm wrong, did something else get the #1 spot awhile ago and I missed it?)
Well, it hasn't been number one all gen, but it has been at least top four and undisputed usage leader since January at the latest:

Code:
Month          |Rank  |1337  |Mon's Ahead                     |Mon's Ahead (1337)
April 2011     |4     |n/a   |Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, Garchomp |n/a
May 2011       |3     |n/a   |Ferrothorn, Tyranitar           |n/a
June 2011      |3     |n/a   |Ferrothorn, Tyranitar           |n/a
July 2011      |n/a   |n/a   |n/a                             |n/a
August 2011    |3     |n/a   |Tyranitar, Rotom-W              |n/a
September 2011 |3     |1     |Tyranitar, Rotom-W              |none
October 2011   |2     |2     |Dragonite                       |Rotom-W
November 2011  |1     |1     |none                            |none
December 2011  |1     |2     |none                            |Tyranitar
January 2012   |1     |1     |none                            |none
February 2012  |1     |1     |none                            |none
So, considering all the stats I could find, Scizor has only been outside the top three once, and that was almost a year ago. Also, he's never been lower than 2 in 1337.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
NU 1337 Stats
| 118 | Chinchou | 1 | 0.053% | 1 | 0.064% |

Lol, thanks for that Trop :D
| 87 | Tentacool | 346 | 1.895% | 297 | 1.940% |
Nice job, Karpman! Tentacool REVOLUTION!!!

Can't wait to for the moveset lists, want to see how well my NU SpecsTaria caught on. :)

BTW The reason for Linoone possibly going RU is due to MolK, ShakeitUp and others realizing its power alongside Dual Screen and Memento Uxie/Mesprit/Gardevoir(Not sure which one they use, but I remember seeing MolK at one time with Gardy)

Dam I kinda wanted Tentacruel to drop. But it looks like it is staying up there, dam I might have to start running my own since toxic spikes + spin blocker can really screw me over.

Well, it hasn't been number one all gen, but it has been at least top four and undisputed usage leader since January at the latest:

Code:
Month          |Rank  |1337  |Mon's Ahead                     |Mon's Ahead (1337)
April 2011     |4     |n/a   |Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, Garchomp |n/a
May 2011       |3     |n/a   |Ferrothorn, Tyranitar           |n/a
June 2011      |3     |n/a   |Ferrothorn, Tyranitar           |n/a
July 2011      |n/a   |n/a   |n/a                             |n/a
August 2011    |3     |n/a   |Tyranitar, Rotom-W              |n/a
September 2011 |3     |1     |Tyranitar, Rotom-W              |none
October 2011   |2     |2     |Dragonite                       |Rotom-W
November 2011  |1     |1     |none                            |none
December 2011  |1     |2     |none                            |Tyranitar
January 2012   |1     |1     |none                            |none
February 2012  |1     |1     |none                            |none
So, considering all the stats I could find, Scizor has only been outside the top three once, and that was almost a year ago. Also, he's never been lower than 2 in 1337.
November-February, where Scizor is #1, has been the period of the Excradill ban which more means loads of Terrakion. Scizor big selling point IMO in this metagame is that he is the best Terrakion check right now. Terrakion is a very hard threat to stop without a Scizor/SE priority abuser or Gliscor (Skarm only handles the Scarf). With Terrakion being used on a lot of successful teams (28% in 1337) you gotta have that Terrakion check and Scizor happens to be the easiest to fit on teams. Let's not forget Terrakion's partner in crime Dragonite; Scizor checks him after Multiscale is broken too. IMO Scizor's 7% over #2 stems from the fact that teams need to check possibly the two of the deadliest attackers in OU, especially Terra since he has very little checks/counters.

The changes have been stagnant for this month, but the most influential I see is that +6 (0.81%) increase to sun with Donphan (8+) and Duggy (4+) following that increase. Donphan is an awesome spinner as well since with a little attack investment his Ice Shard can do 60% to Lando and similar damage to Scalebroken Dnite, which is pretty good for a spinner against Volt-Turn. I'm skeptical, but it seems stall is on the rise: Blissey (+3, 0.5%), Chansey (+5, 0.8%), and Reuniclus (+5, 0.8%). However note that a lot of defensive pokes are down; including Ferrothorn (-1 , -1.7%), Forretress (-6, -0.9%), Gastrodon (-6 , -0.6%), and Vaporeon/Jellicent (drops in placing, but percentage drop was negligible).

Lastly:
BW OU ranking changes from January to February:
Code:
 | 59   | Sableye         | 6910   |  2.403% | 5914   |  2.483% | +6
Go get em Sableye, you aren't a gimmick in OU! A great addition to the only two OU spin blockers and an awesome addition to stall (+0.4%).

It's funny how out of the top 7 UU Pokes you can make a team out of them
It's the same thing for OU and Ubers. It makes a lot of sense that the top Pokemon would be able to work together because the most used Pokemon are the ones that can easily fit on any team.

Double01

Hate it or love it the under dog's on top
When will people learn that claydol is an average poke at BEST. Yes it can set up SR and spin but it has a lot of weaknesses to common pokes and is set up fodder for a lot of pokes also with it's pitiful offenses.

Steelix is a much better user of Sr with suerior defences an the ability to phaze. Also with the popularization of NP cofagrigus claydol hardly ever even does it's job. If you absolutely need rapid spin then use something reliable such as foresight hitmonchan.

The 1337 stats show that claydol is average at best. If he moves to uu I don't think it will affect the ru meta at all. It basically takes away an average set up fodder mon.

About linoone moving up to RU. Linoone is a great and viable poke in RU. But i've seen only one personwho has use LInooe to it's fullest affect. (shakeitup) With dual screen support from uxie it I quote easy for it to set up and do major damage to any team especially HO teams which are quite popular currently.

Also did this on mobile so sry for shit spelling.

Dragonite makes it to the top 40 in Ubers, more than Salamence and Hydreigon which both have an Uber analysis. Shouldn't Dragonite have one too?

No alot of dragonite usage comes from noobs who think "AWZOME DRAG0NGZ" that is why it and charizard a higher than some arceus formes

No alot of dragonite usage comes from noobs who think "AWZOME DRAG0NGZ" that is why it and charizard a higher than some arceus formes
These are also the same kinds of people who don't realize Blaziken is Uber or don't understand tiers, get into the match and are all like, "Y U uz so manny legenereys?" My log-parsing scripts discard early forfeits (battles shorter than 6 turns), so most of those morons are weeded out, but I guess not all.

The thing is, most noodbs actually stick around for the entire battle. Most of the time, the people that forfeit early against me are people who challenge me and complain that I'm using Ubers. As far as I know, these battles aren't put into the stats, anyway.

As for the Arceus forms, you can't have two on the same team. This means that you have to choose between something like Poison Arceus+Celebi or Grass Arceus+Tentacruel, and most people choose the latter.

I think that if ferrothorn is the 4th most used in ubers it may need to be looked at in suspect testing for ubers.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A Pokemon's performance in a certain tier/banlist has almost little to no jurisdiction on its viability/status in another tier. Ferrothorn is fine as it is as of now; it does well in its tier, and yet it's not broken in it. Logically, it is fine where it is.

I think that if ferrothorn is the 4th most used in ubers it may need to be looked at in suspect testing for ubers.
In case you need more elaboration to really understand why what AccidentalGreed said is true, here's the deal. The usage of a Pokemon isn't just due its viability or how powerful it is; it often comes down to how easy it is to fit on teams and how well it fits with the conditions of the tier. Ferrothorn, for example, is prevelant in the Uber tier for a few reasons. One is that it has the bulk to hang out there, but the main reasons are that fire and fighting moves, which it is weak to, are thrown around a lot less in Ubers than they are in OU. Another is the dominance of Kyogre, and the fact that Ferrothorn is one of the very few Pokemon that can beat it reliably.

For a further example, back in generation IV Shedninja actually had far higher usage in Ubers than in OU. This was because there were far fewer Ghost, Fire and Rock type attacks in Uber than in OU, meaning that it could find many more opportunities to come in and set up, and sometimes actually had the possibility of completely walling entire teams. This by no means pointed to any brokenness of Shedinja, as anyone who's actually tried to use the thing can tell you. It had far more to do with the conditions of the metagame it was in than the overall power of the Pokemon itself.

Ferrothorn isn't broken in OU because there are plenty of fire type moves and fighting types around to take it out. It walls a large number of Pokemon but there's a massive number of other Pokemon that can take it out. Just because something performs well in one tier, even in a higher tier, doesn't mean it belongs in that tier and not in the lower ones.

You guys don't know how happy I'd be if Mew and deoxys-d finally made the ou cut next month (only .04% more to go mew) not only are they awesome pokemon that deserve the tiering but they are SOOOOO annoying to fight in UU.

One pokemon whos popularity in usage suprises me each month is Donphan. I thought that he was gonna just be a low OU that was used mostly by some sun teams who hung around pokemon like toxicroak, meinshao and virizion in usage amount but he's consistently getting more and more popular each month. I would have never guessed that he would ever make the top 30. I mean he's not THAT great of a spinner considering he loses to the OU ghosts and is a pretty average physical tank by OU standards. I guess he's kinda like the claydol of OU, popular not for being great but mostly for being able to fufuill many important team roles and not be deadweight, kinda a jack-of-all-trades type of guy.

About time Scrafty goes where it deserves, I've never liked the thing as a competitive poke or design wise since the instant I saw it. DeoD going to OU is cool, I see plenty with Rocky Helmet.

Other than that, not much interesting.

The thing about donphan is his overall utility. He is a rapid spinner that can take hits, dish them out, lay hazards, and check weakened pokemon. Starmie, Forretress, and Hitmontop can not do all of these. The only pokemon that comes close in utility is Tentacruel, which comes down to do you want a special poison type to absorb and set toxic spikes, or do you want a physical wall and hitter to set up stealth rocks. The choice comes down to what effects you more: toxic spikes, or lack of stealth rock. It really matters what your team needs, any rapid spinner can work for a specific team's needs.

Deoxys-D become OU

I saw it coming years ago that this day will come, im such a pro level hipster

Also, Tyranitar y u so flowchart, and beside Terrakion, can anyone explain why Tyranitar still Top 5 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)