Smogon University PO Statistics — April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like people are totally underrating bulk-up toxicroak and scrafty. So many teams are unable to deal with these threats, I'd like to see them get more usage.

Seems like people are totally underrating bulk-up toxicroak and scrafty. So many teams are unable to deal with these threats, I'd like to see them get more usage.
Eh, I kind of think they're about where they deserve to be. The problem with Scrafty is that it's base 90 Attack is really underwhelming, and even at +1, it's attacks are still pretty weak. Furthermore, I can't help but feel that BU Scrafty is just completely outclassed by BU Breloom, what with Poison Heal/ immunity to status, Spore, much more power, and arguably a better secondary typing.

As for Toxicroak, it's really completely dependent on rain - which means that if you lose the weather war, it's effectiveness is drastically reduced (though it is a menace inside rain). All things being equal though, I feel the same thing I said for Scrafty holds for Toxicroak too; I just feel that Breloom does the whole Bulk Up set better, which is one reason why I think DD Scrafty and SD Toxicroak are the better sets, respectively. Though, that really is just opinion.

Also... Latios at 11. I'm still not sure about this, either it's way too low, or way too high - and I haven't quite decided which. I've discovered when battling with it, that if your opponent does not have Scizor or Tyranitar, then Latios becomes insanely powerful; but while they're on the field, it's prowess is considerably neutered. I feel this statement holds true for the likes of Latias and Reuniclus as well - can be incredibly good, but there are some painfully highly used standards that hold them back. I guess this is just the bane of being a Psychic type.

And another thing. I find it interesting that Scizor is on 26.216% of teams, and yet Rotom-W is "only" on 18.957% of teams. Reason being, I thought these two were pretty much joined at the hip these days, what with Volt-Turn. I would have expected their usage to be closer, in terms of real percentage.

But meh.

Well yeah, Scizor is mostly used with Rotom-w usually, but it should be remembered that Scizor is perhaps, the best check for Terrakion, and quite frankly a great revengekiller with the powered Bullet Punch, add the Steel Type and the fact that U-turn hurts alot if you're not resistant to it and Scizor can be inserted in almost any teams

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Is it just me, or has Forretress been getting less and less useful in the metagame? It seems like the physical attackers have been getting beefier, the special attackers more diverse, and the Spinners more prevalent. Forry used to be my go-to wall/spinner, but on my last couple teams it's lost its luster and been replaced. Maybe because it jumped 9 places in usage and people are considering it more often when building teams...

jrp

Banned deucer.
only use forry has is that it has sturdy imo. It's practically dead weight in most situations, and frankly Starmie is a much more attractive option when looking for a spinner unless you're running a sun team, which Donphan does a great job spinning for.

Is it just me, or has Forretress been getting less and less useful in the metagame? It seems like the physical attackers have been getting beefier, the special attackers more diverse, and the Spinners more prevalent. Forry used to be my go-to wall/spinner, but on my last couple teams it's lost its luster and been replaced. Maybe because it jumped 9 places in usage and people are considering it more often when building teams...
It's not a recent occurrence in my opinion; I came to realize pretty early in this generation that Forretress just can't keep up with the metagame this generation. Its total lack of reliable healing, difficulty in avoiding becoming set-up bait, and just plain not being as bulky as things like Ferrrothorn have all made it a worse and worse choice. I find myself better off packing hazards and rapid spin onto two different Pokemon these days than I do saving the slot and using Ferrothorn, primarily because Ferrothorn can't really do either successfully. Actually, as a suicide Toxic-Spikes lead it has some merit due to sturdy, but still. Sucks balls, not sure why it's hung on so long in the standings. Probably because on paper it just looks like it covers so many roles... while in practice it actually covers none of them particularly well.

Forry is still useful, albeit not as much as before. The buff of Sturdy certainly helped it maintain its niche in OU, not to mention the lack of really good setup-spinners (Donphan can only set up Stealth Rock, not all three - Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Stealth Rocks are all extremely valuable in OU) to take its place.

If you already have a hazard/spinner duo on your team, then you're fine without Forretress. Forry liberates a spot so something else can be a wall or simply sweep. Gen V Sturdy and Volt Switch still allow it to be valuable without compromising momentum.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Forry is a lot harder to fit on a stall team than last gen, but it still EASILY has a niche in the OU metagame. Sturdy can be invaluable vs HO teams sometimes when you just need to get one last hit in.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
So shit gets real in a mere 33 days - Keldeo is officially released.

How do you expect this to effect the usage statistics? It's hard to imagine CB Scizor continuing his dominance since Keldeo resists 3/4 of his moveset and you don't wanna give this dude a free turn. Heatran will likely become a bit less valuable, Ferrothorn will run Power Whip more often and Tyranitar usage will go up even higher to cockblock Rain. The Latis and Starmie might see more use given that they're such solid checks/revenge killers with Psyshock and we might even see a slight rise in stuff like Tornadus and Alakazam.

So shit gets real in a mere 33 days - Keldeo is officially released.

How do you expect this to effect the usage statistics? It's hard to imagine CB Scizor continuing his dominance since Keldeo resists 3/4 of his moveset and you don't wanna give this dude a free turn. Heatran will likely become a bit less valuable, Ferrothorn will run Power Whip more often and Tyranitar usage will go up even higher to cockblock Rain. The Latis and Starmie might see more use given that they're such solid checks/revenge killers with Psyshock and we might even see a slight rise in stuff like Tornadus and Alakazam.
well, keldeo will force scizor to drop in usage but I really don't think it will change the metagame as much as everybody is hyping it up to, DW players can all deal with it and it is never getting past jelly or dragonite; however I predict that a double water strategy utilizing specs politoad/vaporeon and keldeo to blast holes in the opponents team, hell that combo can even beat the blobs and ferrorthorn with secret sword. My biggest fear is that keldeo will cause sun to have even more issues in OU, with its hugely powerful hydr pumps flying around sun players may have to resort to carrying a jellicent.

Oh no, Keldeo talk shall return.

Pretty much, initially the usage will skyrocket with a lot of people running CB Terrakion with Specs Keldeo in the rain to try and smash anything that dares stay in front of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)